Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

The Good

The Dolphins defense checked off a lot of boxes today:

1. Allowed 42 yards rushing
2. Allowed 12 points scored
3. Allowed 3 of 10 third down conversions
4. Forced three turnovers
5. Sacked the opposing QB three times

The defense has been an early season surprise and already have four intercepted passes. As mentioned on last week's blog, the Dolphins only intercepted 9 passes the entire 2017 season.

The running game was effective again, gaining 135 yards and scoring 1 TD. But it was not the Gore/Drake show today as Ryan Tannehill was second on the team in rushing yards with 44, while Drake led the team with 53 yards and 1 TD. Frank Gore only had 22 yards, but did move into fourth place on the all-time rushing list.

Matt Haack had a ridiculous day, averaging 49.2 yards per punt and putting 5 of his 6 punts inside the 20. Pinning the Jets rookie QB, Sam Darnell, 5 times inside his own 20 played a huge role in the Dolphins defensive effectiveness.

The Bad

Ryan Tannehill was sacked four times, although not all of it came down to protection issues. At times, he held the ball too long instead of getting rid of it.

The Ugly

Statistically, Tannehill had a clean passing game,completing 74% of his passes for 168 yards and 2 TDs. But he did look a bit lost at times in the pocket. As mentioned before, he did get sacked a few times and some were his fault. He also had two fumbles. One was lost but Tannehill was bailed out on the next play by Xavien Howard's terrific interception in the endzone.

Overall

The Dolphins are off to a good start. The defense is off to a great start and the offense is delivering in spurts. A more consistent offense, especially in the form of a passing game, could be huge for this team. But for the time being, they are playing hard and making plays when they have to. It's still early but the early signs are promising and there is potential for improvement.

Next week, the Dolphins face the Raiders, a team that has started off 0-2 under Jon Gruden. Derek Carr has had a rough start, but we know he can play better. Hopefully the Dolphins don't let him do that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:41 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I watched the game, but don't remember RT's second fumble. The ugly one where he went back to throw and it just basically fell out of his hand I remember. The other fumble I remember was the one that fell out of Kilgore's hand. Am I forgetting one?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:12 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

One other item to put into the "good" category is the lack of penalties. I think we had only two penalties for 10 yards, with none on the offense. We often kill ourselves with drive-stopping penalties on offense, drive-continuing penalties on defense, and block-in-the-back penalties in the return game that give us the ball 1st and 10 on the 8-yard line. It is too early to tell if this is a trend or if it is a result of our attempt to get higher football-IQ players, but the clean game was huge for us today.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:24 pm 

k-dash wrote:
I watched the game, but don't remember RT's second fumble. The ugly one where he went back to throw and it just basically fell out of his hand I remember. The other fumble I remember was the one that fell out of Kilgore's hand. Am I forgetting one?

I believe it was on a safety blitz.

Tannehill was sacked and stripped on two plays but he recovered the first one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:35 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Nice write up. The raiders are gonna be hungry next week so don’t be surprised if Cooper goes off.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:40 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Nicely done as per your usual, Rich!

Rich wrote:
The Dolphins defense checked off a lot of boxes today:

I think we are all very happy with what we've seen from our defense so far. Our DL won the battle in the trenches all day against the Jets. If not for Darnold's ability to roll out of the pocket and throw a very nice pass downfield, they would have looked much worst. I saw a lot of offensive holding but the refs didn't call them. One of them that even Stevie Wonder saw near the end of the game.

Rich wrote:
Matt Haack had a ridiculous day, averaging 49.2 yards per punt and putting 5 of his 6 punts inside the 20. Pinning the Jets rookie QB, Sam Darnell, 5 times inside his own 20 played a huge role in the Dolphins defensive effectiveness.

We seem to have a talent of being able to pick up very good punters. Haack may be the very best that we've had since Roby. Rizzi does an excellent job with these guys. He has to work with what he has as far as coverage units, but he always seems to recognize and develop ST talent.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:26 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Kiko had a monster game..I rip him alot for being late and out of position but he had his best game as a Dolphin as far as I'm concerned..

He is quite a cheap shot artist still though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:27 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

prof123 wrote:
One other item to put into the "good" category is the lack of penalties.

Another "good" you can add, actually to practically any list, is how the Patriots defense should not scare anyone this year. They don't have a fearsome pass rush and their secondary looks very average. Over on offense, their offensive line can be had given how the Fins dline has looked so far. I know Jax is a top of the line team right now but w/out their top back they moved the ball and put points even with pedestrian Bortles at the helm. Tannehill for his part can match Bortles in pedestrianism any day so we might be able to stick it to Bellicheat. Now, THAT would be in the "very good" category.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:34 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Ted Larsen needs to be added to the ugly. And Miami vastly improving on 3rd down conversions need to be added to the good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:48 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Kev1321 wrote:
Kiko had a monster game.. He is quite a cheap shot artist still though.

Yes, he was everywhere. I like his physical play, but I think he crosses the line sometimes.

bobby0112 wrote:
Ted Larsen needs to be added to the ugly. And Miami vastly improving on 3rd down conversions need to be added to the good.

He was overmatched at times, but he did as well as I had hoped for. He is definitely no Sitton. He did do an outstanding job on Tanny's 19 yard TD pass though as he had all day to throw that ball. And Drake also ran his way on his TD run.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:26 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Can we trade for T Pryor.......He kills us every time we play him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:42 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Kev1321 wrote:
Kiko had a monster game..I rip him alot for being late and out of position but he had his best game as a Dolphin as far as I'm concerned..

I wonder if the coach may have been right that what we saw sometimes last year was not Kiko's fault but him trying to make up for someone else mistake.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:23 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

AQNOR wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

I wonder if the coach may have been right that what we saw sometimes last year was not Kiko's fault but him trying to make up for someone else mistake.

IDK.....He is often late to a play..You just don't see him in the backfield disrupting plays.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:23 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Where was Stills again this week?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:31 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'd like to see some film beyond the LOS on our receivers. Tannehill seemed to be waiting for receivers to get open who never did. This caused him to get sacked several times as he gets tunnel vision looking downfield and doesn't have that extra sense to feel the pressure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:33 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
I'd like to see some film beyond the LOS on our receivers. Tannehill seemed to be waiting for receivers to get open who never did. This caused him to get sacked several times as he gets tunnel vision looking downfield and doesn't have that extra sense to feel the pressure.

You're coming around :haha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:39 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Kev1321 wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

:saywhat

We've actually been saying this for a while about Tanny here on the forum. Nothing new there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:51 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

We've actually been saying this for a while about Tanny here on the forum. Nothing new there.

Not exactly...Mostly I've heard it was his bad offensive line..But this year line is supposed to be superior..And 4 sacks happen. Mostly because of the facts you stated above.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:14 pm 

Kev1321 wrote:
Where was Stills again this week?

Probably getting double and triple covered after the crap game he had last week.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:18 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Kev1321 wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

Not exactly...Mostly I've heard it was his bad offensive line..But this year line is supposed to be superior..And 4 sacks happen. Mostly because of the facts you stated above.

Ok that is just not true. Plenty of comments by multiple posters on here about Tannehills short comings.

Sorry you come across like you are the only one calling Tannehill out and that is not a fact. People see problems beyond Tannehill and want them addressed too does not mean they don't see the problems with Tannehill. They do and have said so numerous times.

It puzzles me and I think others ( I am sure they will let me know if this is not true) that you cant see this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:24 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

In the last game the problem was not the O-line imo for the sacks most of them came from Tannehills poor pocket presence. I was hoping to see improvement this year in that. I believe I read somewhere Gase said that could be coached.

I beleive that if that major flaw could be improved he could be a top 10ish qb. If he does not probably not. He has the uncanny ability to scramble into sacks. After 5-6 years he ought to know when to throw the ball away imo.

He also made positive plays too and on that game sealing drive found a way to put the game away. Props to him and the O for that. He is tough I appreciate that about him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:31 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

RT still has pocket awareness problems.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:05 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

The throw to seal the win....He got bailed out by a great shoe top catch.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:13 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

AQNOR wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

Ok that is just not true. Plenty of comments by multiple posters on here about Tannehills short comings.

Sorry you come across like you are the only one calling Tannehill out and that is not a fact. People see problems beyond Tannehill and want them addressed too does not mean they don't see the problems with Tannehill. They do and have said so numerous times.

It puzzles me and I think others ( I am sure they will let me know if this is not true) that you cant see this.

I said I'm the only one calling him out? Did you just make that up?
Maybe you could show me where I said that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:44 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Kev1321 wrote:

Where did I say that you said you were the only one calling him out? Did you just make that up? Maybe you could show me where I said that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:49 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Makchell wrote:

I think his pocket awareness is better. He makes more subtle moves to buy a little extra time.

His two biggest problems, in my opinion, are that he still sometimes waits rather than throw a receiver open (Drake 4th down last week), and, his footwork reverts to sloppy on certain plays (Gesicki interception, 3rd and 1 miss yesterday).

When he holds the ball too long waiting for a play to develop is when he gets in trouble. I want to say he had two throw away passes later in the game to address that, but again it isn't happening from start to finish.

He is what he is. He'll have great games, mediocre games and clunkers. I'd still take him over a bunch of other QBs but I'm at the point where my expectation for his ceiling is probably 2nd round of the playoffs.

Now that the team has a lot of young talent it might be time to use some of that draft capital to go get a guy. Or, fingers crossed and I'm sure some of you are sick of hearing it, maybe after a year plus on the bench Luke Falk proves to be late round gem capable of starting.

Best case scenario, Tannehill says screw it and simply plays. Not overthink, not worry about stuff, just go out and play the position with the talent you have. Its happened before for other QBs, but probably time to start hedging your bets.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:05 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

AQNOR wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

Where did I say that you said you were the only one calling him out? Did you just make that up? Maybe you could show me where I said that?

Ya, I didn't think so....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:06 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Makchell wrote:

I think his pocket awareness is better. He makes more subtle moves to buy a little extra time.

His two biggest problems, in my opinion, are that he still sometimes waits rather than throw a receiver open (Drake 4th down last week), and, his footwork reverts to sloppy on certain plays (Gesicki interception, 3rd and 1 miss yesterday).

When he holds the ball too long waiting for a play to develop is when he gets in trouble. I want to say he had two throw away passes later in the game to address that, but again it isn't happening from start to finish.

He is what he is. He'll have great games, mediocre games and clunkers. I'd still take him over a bunch of other QBs but I'm at the point where my expectation for his ceiling is probably 2nd round of the playoffs.

Now that the team has a lot of young talent it might be time to use some of that draft capital to go get a guy. Or, fingers crossed and I'm sure some of you are sick of hearing it, maybe after a year plus on the bench Luke Falk proves to be late round gem capable of starting.

Best case scenario, Tannehill says screw it and simply plays. Not overthink, not worry about stuff, just go out and play the position with the talent you have. Its happened before for other QBs, but probably time to start hedging your bets.

Curious do you think that holding the ball too long falls under another category than pocket awareness? In my mind I was lumping them in together.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:07 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Kev1321 wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

Ya, I didn't think so....

Exactly, thanks for making my point.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:27 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Ugly...Stills taking a knee pre game.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:34 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AQNOR wrote:
Curious do you think that holding the ball too long falls under another category than pocket awareness? In my mind I was lumping them in together.

Not in all cases. A couple of the sacks yesterday were Tannehill trying to run and the defender catching him. Probably thought he could out run the guy but instead should have just thrown it away and he appeared to adjust later in the game with that.

Last week I noticed him a few times slide around a bit and look quite aware of his surroundings.

We can nitpick Tannehill all day and make him the focus but here is the conclusion I keep coming to:

The Chiefs have a super talented QB in Pat Maholmes who may or may not turn out to be a super star. But I doubt the fans in KC are ticked off that they had Alex Smith for a few years who gave them wins and the playoffs.

I hope for the same thing with Tannehill and sort of want to leave it at that unless he emerges as the next Rich Gannon or completely busts (making it justifiable to gripe about him every week). Otherwise it becomes the same old thing we've rehashed on these boards for years (with multiple QBs).

This team should make the playoffs and we should enjoy the ride.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:53 pm 

I think RT is the best QB we've had since Marino and we should get behind him. (Please don't talk to me about Chad Pennington. He was a flash, but injuries ultimately proved to be the main character in his NFL story.) He's NOT Marino. He's not Brady, Big Ben, Brees or Aaron Rodgers, but then neither are the QBs on any of the other teams in the league. He's not top 5, but right now, like it or not, he's top 10 and I think that when the end of the year comes he may very well still be so.

So yeah, draft a QB who might be elite every year until you have one, but support the one you have until then.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:30 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

We need to draft a QB early next year. Tannehill is a talented game manager, but that is all. I do hope he lasts through the season, but if he keeps running the ball this much he will get hurt. Love the guts and the drive, but seems awful risky.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:48 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Not in all cases. A couple of the sacks yesterday were Tannehill trying to run and the defender catching him. Probably thought he could out run the guy but instead should have just thrown it away and he appeared to adjust later in the game with that.

Last week I noticed him a few times slide around a bit and look quite aware of his surroundings.

We can nitpick Tannehill all day and make him the focus but here is the conclusion I keep coming to:

The Chiefs have a super talented QB in Pat Maholmes who may or may not turn out to be a super star. But I doubt the fans in KC are ticked off that they had Alex Smith for a few years who gave them wins and the playoffs.

I hope for the same thing with Tannehill and sort of want to leave it at that unless he emerges as the next Rich Gannon or completely busts (making it justifiable to gripe about him every week). Otherwise it becomes the same old thing we've rehashed on these boards for years (with multiple QBs).

This team should make the playoffs and we should enjoy the ride.

I am not sure if I understand exactly what you are saying but it seems to me that in a Phins forum the play of the qb is ok to talk about. He should get atta boys when he makes good plays and wish he would play better or improve in areas he may be weak in.

I think most on here balance it out. Seemed like you many be saying, so I am asking, are you suggesting that no negative things be discussed about the Phin s qb?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:31 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Kev1321 wrote:
The throw to seal the win....He got bailed out by a great shoe top catch.

Flip your broken record over and give Tannehill a LITTLE credit on this. Great catch by Gore, btw. A team that is playing well gets the breaks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:47 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AQNOR wrote:
I am not sure if I understand exactly what you are saying but it seems to me that in a Phins forum the play of the qb is ok to talk about. He should get atta boys when he makes good plays and wish he would play better or improve in areas he may be weak in.

I think most on here balance it out. Seemed like you many be saying, so I am asking, are you suggesting that no negative things be discussed about the Phin s qb?

Never said it wasn't. Feels a little like an interrogative post here.

All I said is nitpicking the QB does me no good. I've debated it for too long, spent too much time researching things to back my opinions and find that in the end it doesn't help my mental state as a Miami fan.

You guys can go nuts talking small details on Tannehill. I'm at peace with who he is and just want to see this team have a nice season. I'll still talk about him, but I'm not entering the arena of "can he be elite, is he just average or does he suck?"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:11 am 

On Tannehill, keep in mind he has also missed over a year of football so some rust is to be expected.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:58 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Never said it wasn't. Feels a little like an interrogative post here.

All I said is nitpicking the QB does me no good. I've debated it for too long, spent too much time researching things to back my opinions and find that in the end it doesn't help my mental state as a Miami fan.

You guys can go nuts talking small details on Tannehill. I'm at peace with who he is and just want to see this team have a nice season. I'll still talk about him, but I'm not entering the arena of "can he be elite, is he just average or does he suck?"

I hope it was an interrogative post as I said I am asking. : ) I don't equate talking the details of Tannehills performance as being a nuts thing just normal board chatter. Since he has made progress each year as a qb imo. I hope to see it this year too.

I do enjoy his toughness and the Phin s being at 2-0. Go Phins!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:25 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AQNOR wrote:
I don't equate talking the details of Tannehills performance as being a nuts thing just normal board chatter.

My reference is when we get into the blame game of who is responsible for the sack, should the receiver have caught it, were guys open or not running the correct routes, etc.

I'm just burnt out by it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:38 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
I don't equate talking the details of Tannehills performance as being a nuts thing just normal board chatter.

My reference is when we get into the blame game of who is responsible for the sack, should the receiver have caught it, were guys open or not running the correct routes, etc.

I'm just burnt out by it.

Gotcha, thanks.

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]