View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 
 Jason Ferguson retires 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Jason Ferguson retires
The Miami Dolphins announced the retirement of Jason Ferguson today. So much for that eight-game suspension...or the eight games many were hoping he would play in 2010-11 (depending how you look at it).

Quote:
“You get what you put into this game. I would like to thank my family, the fans and the organizations that I have been a part of for their continued support throughout my career, it’s been an absolute blessing to play this long,” explained Ferguson. “I have built a lot of relationships, you develop an extended family playing this game; I would like to thank that extended family, the teammates, the coaches, the support staffs that have all played a part of a great ride.”

"Jason was a key contributor on three different teams for many years at one of the NFL’s toughest jobs,” stated Dolphins Executive Vice President of Football Operations Bill Parcells. “I am grateful and I will miss him.”

"I want to wish Jason well in his retirement,” said Dolphins Head Coach Tony Sparano. “He had a great career in the league and was professional in everything he did. I appreciate all he did for the Dolphins in his two years in Miami, and his leadership will be missed."

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/jason ... on-retires

Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:39 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Jason Ferguson retires
wow, that was unexpected.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:42 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Ya, no kidding.

Well....... maybe just a bit...

He wasn't sure what he was going to do after last season. I believe he hoped the 8 games off might have saved his body a bit.

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:12 pm
Profile YIM
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Maybe he'll be our new defensive line coach next season.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:15 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

He should have retired before free agency and the draft. I'm not sure if it would have changed anything, but a lot of us were excited about the prospect of a fresh Ferguson coming to the team halfway through the season for a playoff push. I know the Trifecta were counting on him.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I honestly wasn't expecting him to make the team anyway.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ya know, this is almost the exact same scenario as Ricky Williams, but no one will hate Ferguson for this. Ricky failed a drug test, then retired before training camp. Interesting.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Ya know, this is almost the exact same scenario as Ricky Williams, but no one will hate Ferguson for this. Ricky failed a drug test, then retired before training camp. Interesting.

I thought the same thing. Along the lines of....."Maybe he got poped a second time?"

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:06 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

We now have zero Nose Tackles on our 3-4 defense. I hope Mike Nolan has some magic in his new scheme because we're going to need it or Dansby will be eating Guards all year.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Gentlax13 wrote:
We now have zero Nose Tackles on our 3-4 defense. I hope Mike Nolan has some magic in his new scheme because we're going to need it or Dansby will be eating Guards all year.

What, you're just now concerned about this? Did you hope on going 8-8 this year?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowafin wrote:

Miami didn't trade two 1st round picks for Ferguson. The Dolphins had designed their entire offense around Ricky the season he bailed. Ferguson wasn't being counted on as the centerpiece for this year's defense. The scenarios are hardly comparable.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:
The scenarios are hardly comparable.

Put aside your hopes for the player going into the season, the scenarios are nearly identical.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:10 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Iowafin wrote:
Gentlax13 wrote:

What, you're just now concerned about this? Did you hope on going 8-8 this year?

I've been complaining about our lack of NT depth since we started running a 3-4. Good teams would have used Ferguson as a backup or rotational guy. Yet, the best we managed to pair him with is Paul Soali. Before today we had half of a NT. Actually having zero is new.

It sure looks like this team is built to play a 4-3 rather than a 3-4.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowafin wrote:

I also expected to see how JF is equal to pond scum, but I'm not seeing those type post. Odd how there is a double standard.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:26 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

bobby0112 wrote:

Miami didn't trade two 1st round picks for Ferguson.
RW carried the ball 775 times the previous two years, plus ran for over 3200 Yds in those season. I believe the they traded 2 1st argument is weak.

bobby0112 wrote:

The Dolphins had designed their entire offense around Ricky the season he bailed.
So it was RW fault that Wanny was a dumbarse & built his whole offense around one player who carried the ball 775 the previous two season & could have blow out a knee at any point.

bobby0112 wrote:

Ferguson wasn't being counted on as the centerpiece for this year's defense. The scenarios are hardly comparable.
The NT in a 3-4 is extremely important.

The situation are nearly identical. A starting player bails right before camp opens.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:36 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

I also expected to see how JF is equal to pond scum, but I'm not seeing those type post. Odd how there is a double standard.

Ok so I don't know how people aren't able to see the difference here. On one hand you have a YOUNG runningback that a team just leveraged their draft on for two years, built their offense around, and was in the prime of his career. On the other hand you have a guy that we weren't even sure as season's end would be around this year, got popped for roids and was going to miss HALF of the season, and might not have even made the team due to health concerns. Gee these two situations are so similar it's amazing!!! (Sarcasm)

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phin wrote:

Ok so I don't know how people aren't able to see the difference here. On one hand you have a YOUNG runningback that a team just leveraged their draft on for two years, built their offense around, and was in the prime of his career. On the other hand you have a guy that we weren't even sure as season's end would be around this year, got popped for roids and was going to miss HALF of the season, and might not have even made the team due to health concerns. Gee these two situations are so similar it's amazing!!! (Sarcasm)
You can be as sarcastic as you wish. The situations are different in importance to the team, but only in importance. The fact is. JF allowed Miami to go through FA & the draft believing he would play, then bailed right before camp. RW did the same thing.

A player is can walk away from the game anytime he wishes.

I'm so sick of hearing how Miami built their offense around one player. Outside of a QB, could a team be anymore ignorant?

Just because Miami overpaid for RW does not change anything either.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:49 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Wow.

That just ruined my day. Man...

I really hope that one of our undrafted Free Agents come in and play well to push Soliai for some depth. I'm very confident in Starks at the nose. Let's just hope we have enough depth down the stretch though.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:26 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
Phin wrote:

You can be as sarcastic as you wish. The situations are different in importance to the team, but only in importance. The fact is. JF allowed Miami to go through FA & the draft believing he would play, then bailed right before camp. RW did the same thing.

A player is can walk away from the game anytime he wishes.

I'm so sick of hearing how Miami built their offense around one player. Outside of a QB, could a team be anymore ignorant?

Just because Miami overpaid for RW does not change anything either.

I sincerely hope Miami wasn't counting on Ferguson this season. He was going to be suspended for the first eight games and is at the tail end of his career. Not to mention, the guy has had numerous injury problems in recent seasons.

The ONLY parallel between this and Ricky is the timing. The importance of each player at the time of their retirement is not even debatable.

You can't forget -- we have a guy who almost made the Pro Bowl last season filling that NT gap, so who knows if Ferguson would have even made the team. Ricky Williams' back ups were Sammy Morris and Travis Minor.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:

Miami didn't trade two 1st round picks for Ferguson.[/quote]RW carried the ball 775 times the previous two years, plus ran for over 3200 Yds in those season. I believe the they traded 2 1st argument is weak.

Further proof of how much Miami was counting on him for the 2004 season. And it was a total of 4 draft choices including 2 1st round picks.

bobby0112 wrote:

The Dolphins had designed their entire offense around Ricky the season he bailed.
So it was RW fault that Wanny was a dumbarse & built his whole offense around one player who carried the ball 775 the previous two season & could have blow out a knee at any point.

So wouldn't it be fair to say Ricky was expected to be a 300 + carry RB in 2004 if not injured?

bobby0112 wrote:

Ferguson wasn't being counted on as the centerpiece for this year's defense. The scenarios are hardly comparable.
The NT in a 3-4 is extremely important.

Absolutely, But Furgeson was going to miss the first 8 games anyway.

The situation are nearly identical. A starting player bails right before camp opens.

How does losing a franchise running back in the prime of his career (27 years old) compare to losing a 35 year old NT that was already going to miss half the season and rotate with Paul Soliai & Randy Starks for the final 8 games?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:24 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He should have retired before the draft/FA. We were counting on him.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:40 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
He should have retired before the draft/FA. We were counting on him.

How were we counting on him? I mean seriously, were we just going to play half the schedule or something?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I agree with those who see little comparison between JF and RW. I am suprised it was even brought up. Others have made the conspicuous points no need to repeat their astute observations.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

bobby0112 wrote:
Further proof of how much Miami was counting on him for the 2004 season.
Check NFL history of players with that many carries in 2 season & see how Yr. 3 turned out. Fact. Not good.

Larry Johnson had 752 for 3539 - 4.7 YPC in '05 & '06. '07 158 for 559 - 3.5 YPC
Jamal Anderson had 700 for 2848 - 4.0 YPC in '97 & '98. '99 Blew out knee.
Jamal Lewis had 695 for 3393 - 4.8 YPC in '02 & '03. '04 235 for 1006 - 4.3 YPC ( Missed 4 games ) Never came close to Avg 4.8 YPC again.
Terrel Davis had 761 for 3758 - 4.9 YPC in '97 & '98. '99 Blew out knee.
Barry Sanders had 678 for 3544 - 5.2 YPC in '97 & '98. '99 Retired.

The fact is Miami wore RW out in '02 & '03 & to think they could have ridden that horse again for almost 400 carries was asinine thinking.

bobby0112 wrote:
And it was a total of 4 draft choices including 2 1st round picks.
Actually it was 3 & Miami got one back. They moved up in Rd. 4 in '02.

Quote:
1st (25th overall) and 4th (125th overall) round picks in 2002 and conditional 3rd round pick in 2003 to New Orleans for RB Ricky Williams and 4th (114th overall) round pick in 2002

bobby0112 wrote:

So wouldn't it be fair to say Ricky was expected to be a 300 + carry RB in 2004 if not injured?
History is a great predictor for the future. I'm not sure any RB has carried the ball as much in 2 season as RW did. The ones that have came close never produced at the same level as the two years prior.

bobby0112 wrote:

Absolutely, But Furgeson was going to miss the first 8 games anyway.
RW most likely would have missed the entire year had he not retired.

bobby0112 wrote:

How does losing a franchise running back in the prime of his career (27 years old) compare to losing a 35 year old NT that was already going to miss half the season and rotate with Paul Soliai & Randy Starks for the final 8 games?
It does not compare in importance but the actions are still the same. RW had just as much right to retire in '04 as JF does in '10. The fact Miami was short sighted in its building of the team in '04 should not factor into the situation.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phin wrote:

How were we counting on him? I mean seriously, were we just going to play half the schedule or something?
How would a fresh JF done the final 8 games & hopefully playoffs?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AQNOR wrote:
I agree with those who see little comparison between JF and RW. I am suprised it was even brought up. Others have made the conspicuous points no need to repeat their astute observations.

Then your not wanting to see the comparison. RW was vastly more important, but the facts of how they retired remains the same.

No one is saying JF is as important as RW was then, but to wait till after everything is done & players are signed to decided not to play puts Miami in a some what bad spot.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I wasn't saying the comparison between what they were expected to do the next season...I was drawing the comparisons between failed drugs tests and abrupt retirement.

The Hen seems to be the only one that got it. I was saying he might have failed again, which would be an entire season of being suspended. Retiring looks better than being suspended, doesn't it?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:07 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

There is a difference between Ricky and Feguson:

* The Dolphins traded a late pick for an "old" Ferguson with the hopes of replacing him in a couple of years. It isn't his fault that we neglected the position. We traded two first round picks for a young Ricky with the hopes of making him the franchise cornerstone on offense. He was even elevated as a team leader and addressed the rookies in training camp.

* Ricky made a lot of comments that rubbed the fans wrong after he retired. That kind of smarts when the fans hero worshipped him for two years. In fact, I hadn't seen that devotion since Dan the Man ... and haven't since.

* Ricky was healthy the previous year that he "retired". Ferguson just came off of a season ending torn quadriceps injury and is 35. Perhaps he is not recovering as well as he hoped for.

** Since then, Ricky redeemed himself by cleaning himself up and working hard on the field. I think most fans hope for the best in his professional career and personal life. Expectations are not as high for Ricky as he is in the twilight of his NFL career, and fans understand that deep down Ricky has a chemical imbalance and is one failed drug test from a 1 year suspension. Anyone who still thinks he is pond scum probably is a Jets fan.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:24 am
Profile WWW

well in a sense were counting on him because we were posting that when he comes back from suspension he will be fresh.

I hate to be drawn back into the RW debate & debacle again but honestly these are 2 different situations. Ricky was in his prime when he quit (we are allowed to say quit & not retired) & was truly counted on as a HUGE part of the offense. To say his quitting was somewhat legit because he was overworked by Wanny is crazy. You have a guy like Ricky putting up those numbers you work the crap out of him. That is why he is here & that is why he was getting paid what he was back in the day.

Just like after Ricky we will move on .... Im still smellin that super bowl thing & I still dont see a loss on the schedule!!
......Thats me ... mr. positive!!

Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:43 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The thing is...... Ricky is my favorite player of all time, and still will remain that way. He DID bail on us, on the EVE of training camp.... and to my knowledge, I dont even remember who his backup was....Wasn't it that bum that we traded for from St. Louis out of neccessity? Not sure. The point is over, Ricky gone, it left a GAPING HOLE in our team at a position of need. Lets just sum it up there...

JF had an 8 game suspension coming his way. He wasnt expected to be on the field until what? Nov 1st? My point exactly..... Randy Starks was moved to NT TO BE THE STARTER!!! Ok so we lost our backup NT to retirement. Ferguson or Starks, well Starks has the upside and strength, Ferguson has the experience. All that being said, if Ferguson outweighs Starks, its not by all too much. Yes, it hurts our depth, but we are talking about our depth for Nov, Dec, and Jan..... not for Sept 1st. This was all planned for, and the Trifecta must know that an injury to Starks in Game one would mean that Solai is our starter for the rest of the season, and some practice squad player will have to be bumped up. Plus we would prob have to play 4-3 the rest of the season......

Either way, this retirement helps us out.... It makes more money available to sign another big body to be a backup BEFORE camp. Remember we still have another week and a half before camp starts, and 3 weeks or so ti the first pre season game. 8 weeks roughly til the opener in Buffalo. And to my knowledge, a NT is a NT, there arent many designed plays for those guys. They have 1 role, and one role only, Eat OL for breakfast and sh*t them out on the turf. I dont think there is much "learning the playbook" or "developing chemistry" neccessary. No, it is a position on an island. Eat 2 on 1 blocks from 1st quarter til final whistle. So regardless, we now have 8 weeks to find a suitable replacement via FA or trade. Thats not too bad of a scenario..... even if we trade a 3rd or 4th rounder for a 25 year old backup, WE STILL GET YOUNGER (something we needed to do, PRIOR to the draft, that we thought could linger another year). Plus, we also clear Ferg's salary..... and yes, money is no object in an uncapped year, but this is also being said by us, blue collar fans who think that teams can spend because they can, and that 2010 every team has the opportunity to be the Yankees. Yes there is no cap, but some one is still signing those checks, so in hindsight, yea we lose a good player..... but thats also a couple million saved for our owner that could be used elsewhere...... like finding a replacement.

Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:34 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Then your not wanting to see the comparison. RW was vastly more important, but the facts of how they retired remains the same.

No one is saying JF is as important as RW was then, but to wait till after everything is done & players are signed to decided not to play puts Miami in a some what bad spot.

I of course disagree with your position and your reasoning. If it turns out that JF retired because he knew he was going to or already has tested positive again for a banned substance then the comparison has more merit.

That is a personal decision that a player, if he chooses to, can exercise judgement and self control over. We don't know this about JF yet one way or another. RW made a personal choice to continue to use banned substances.

If JF retired because of age and/or injury then that is something that he has little to no control over unless he was not following the doctors and trainers advice. We don't know yet. Maybe our difference of opinion lies in that I think that the "why" of the decision is more important than just the timing of the decision than you do?

Could have JF contibuted to our team this year if healthy? Probably, but realistically it would have been limited. Not only would he have been banned for half of the year but, as i understand the NFL banned policy, JF would not be able to practice or participate in team activites unless we kept a spot open for him on the roster all of the time he was banned. So he would not be in game shape and I would think his first 2-3 games he would see only limited playing time as his body adjusted to game conditions.

I am not sure if I expressed my opinion on this forum or not but in my thinking it would have been better to sign JT than JF given the uncertainty in my mind of how much JF would actually contirbute this year.

As others have pointed out JF was not our starting NT and to depend upon him to contiribute siginficantly this year was a distant and not to sure of a hope at least in my mind.

Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:37 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Stash the conspiracy theories on Jason Ferguson’s retirement

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello responded Friday afternoon to an email seeking clarity in the Ferguson matter with the following: “No, there was no further violation.”

So much for the theory propagated on one national Web site that this was another version of Ricky Williams’ 2004 retirement scenario. And so much for connecting those dots that traced back to 1999 and Ferguson’s first violation of the PED policy.

Apparently, a professional athlete can express excitement about the upcoming season on his Twitter account on one day and announce his retirement after 13 distinguished seasons on the next.

Sometimes, it’s really as simple as it looks on the surface.

Not always, but sometimes.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... l+Blogs%29

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:10 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Yeah, he was going to come in fresh. Look, some of you guys give these guys a pass because they are on your favorite team. The bottomline is that these guys have no heart nor care about anybody but themselves. The bottomline is that Ricky wanted to get high and got popped so he retired because he "was being overworked". Aren't we all over worked? This guy was getting paid very well to run the football. SOrry, I still don't buy it. Flame me all you want.

Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:

Not every hope we have for this team goes through Ferguson like it did with Ricky. When he left, any chance we had at success was flushed down the toilet.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:38 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

eleaf wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Not every hope we have for this team goes through Ferguson like it did with Ricky. When he left, any chance we had at success was flushed down the toilet.

When this season is over I think we'll look back and say the hole at NT was the the biggest problem and sank the season. On offense any coordinator of quality should be able to scheme away from one player. On defense you don't have that option. I expect opposing offenses to run up the middle on us with impunity.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:11 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

eleaf wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Clearly you haven't read anything else in this thread.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]