All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:56 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

My first post, what are our chances against the Titans, a playoff team last year and has anyone ordered the NFL Sunday ticket? Pricing has gone way up? Good Luck to a new season.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:03 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

ECPhinsFan1 wrote:
My first post, what are our chances against the Titans, a playoff team last year and has anyone ordered the NFL Sunday ticket? Pricing has gone way up? Good Luck to a new season.

Welcome. Never had NFL ticket. Phin s at home stand a good chance to win imo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:17 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Welcome! Yes, I get the ticket as my annual birthday present from my wife. Not worth the $$$$, but I'm glad to have it, here in MD where the only Phins games I get are against the Ravens, who always kick our butts. Anyway it's gonna be a good test against the Titan running game and running QB. They have an outstanding TE, which always gives us trouble.

I'll go with Miami in a tight one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:38 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I've had Sunday ticket since 2001 and haven't missed a game since. Yes the cost is ridiculous. I keep telling them that Sunday ticket is the only reason I have DirecTV. I cant bear to watch Jets/Giants every week up here in Northern NJ.

Sunday Ticket is usually free for the first year to new subscribers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:19 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I bless the day NFL Sunday Tix was "invented". It is the reason, the only one really, I've had Direct TV since 2008. The cost to me is inmaterial. A tix for an NFL game, one game, is in the 80-100 dollar range. Take the wife and kids, that's in the $300 range. That alone pays for the NFL Tix subscription and you get ALL the games and you can have the whole family over. They bring the food and drinks of course. Add DVR to the equation and you are fat, dumb and happy.

Although I wouldn't miss a Fins game I also like to watch plenty of other teams, specially the nice matchups we get almost every Sunday, so w/out NFL Tix I wouldn't be able to enjoy the season as I do. And this Sunday in particular, the NFL Tix is golden for me. For some reason this Sunday the Fins will not be shown on free local TV. I live on the south west coast of Florida and here the Dolphins are almost always treated as if we were in Miami. All the preseason games are shown live and during the season all their games are shown as well. Given that the other "local" team, the Bucs in Tampa, are also popular in this area, since they are in the NFC there is no network conflict (FOX shows NFC games, CBS the AFC games). However, the local schedule for Sunday has the 1 o'clock CBS game as the Patriots vs Houston, a great matchup in itself. Since the Bucs are also playing at 1 on FOX, the Fins game won't be shown on local TV. The local bean counters know Pats/Houston can draw a larger audience than any Miami game. Larger audience, more advertising dollars. However, with NFL Tix, I get to see the Fins anyway.

I expect a tight game Sunday. The Titans are more physical and talented than the Fins but I'm hoping for a very hot and humid Sunday in Miami at 1 o'clock, and that may give the Dolphins the edge to steal the game.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:43 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

ECPhinsFan1 ... welcome! Thanks for joining in.

I'm picking the Dolphins to win it 27-23. Why? Because I believe the preseason hype. Back to reality next week after I actually see them play a full game with their starters.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:47 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Miami wins but the game is a dud, 17-13.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:16 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Welcome! Price is crazy but it's still way cheaper than going to 1 game.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:56 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:

You have that much faith in the defense to hold them to 13 points? That would be a win.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:19 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

35 - 17 miami
Dont need sunday ticket ... just need wings.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:23 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
jammer wrote:

You have that much faith in the defense to hold them to 13 points? That would be a win.

Tennessee was 19th in PPG and 23rd in offensive yards last season. They have some key injuries and it is supposed to be incredibly hot/humid in Miami.

I don't think the defense will be lights out as much as I think Tennessee won't be a great offense, and will struggle in the conditions.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:06 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I believe Atlanta went 0-4 in the preseason, felt they should've beaten the Eagles.

I think we win too behind the running of Drake and Gore and good defense.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:16 am 

I think that we'll be able to score. The question is TDs or FGs? And, I'm much more concerned about being able to stop the running game on D. Those 2 factors are the difference between a win and a loss to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:26 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Titans run it down our throat. Watch the play action work for them in 2nd quarter. 24-10 Titans and a step closer to kicking Gase to the curb.

Let’s be honest, our defense and all their backups were really bad in pre season. The run defense was truly awful. Also, this moronic short passing game doesn’t work very well either. Lots of yards, but drives sputter in red zone or because of the penalties we are accustomed to with a Gase coached team. I want to be wrong....I really do. Been a fan for over 40 years. But this team has not demonstrated anything in the off season to make me think they will be better in 2018 then they were in 2017. I see some intriguing young prospects for the next regime to work with, but this team is very low on top-caliber talent.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:54 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Did you watch any of training camp or are you going off of a vanilla preseason offense? I'm not saying Miami will set the world on fire but give them a little more credit than a few stalled drives with no creativity.

The defense could struggle against a very mobile Mariota, who probably gets deployed in a similar fashion that Gase used with Tannehill/Ajayi in 2016. Always keep the defense guessing with a run pass option. But let's not pretend Tennessee's offense is or was awesome. Mariota was dreadful last year so he is a question mark: was 2016 who he is or have defenses figured him out a bit?

Mike Vrabel is a rookie head coach with only one season as a coordinator. He'll make plenty of mistakes.

Again, I just see a dud unless Miami comes out firing with a quick tempo offense.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:04 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Is the offense about to take off? I think it starts with the first point of this article, and then depends on whether point three becomes real. We could have an exciting game on Sunday.

Armando Salguero wrote:
Why is this team that has been so unimpressive on offense for two years be so borderline arrogant about what is about to happen in 2018?

Three reasons:

The Dolphins believe they’re going to have a very good offensive line.

The Dolphins believe their offense will put multiple explosive playmakers on the field at the same time, making it hard on defensive coordinators such as Pees to match up.

The Dolphins believe quarterback Ryan Tannehill, in his third season of understanding the scheme, is about to play his best football.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Let's not forget that Quinn has a chip on his shoulder from being traded. Getting Quinn is really going to help our young defense improve throughout the season. I expect teams to try to run, run, run against us ... except the Pats who force defenses to adjust to them.

Barry Jackson wrote:
Defensively: “[Ndamukong] Suh was a big loss, but remember this wasn’t the Suh [from Detroit]. Akeem Spence is an upfield, undersized guy. Maybe the rotation [of defensive linemen] helps them, but I’m not sure it’s [good enough]. I thought Robert Quinn was the steal of the offseason; he’s still a legit pass rusher. I liked Raekwon McMillan coming out of Ohio State; thought he was an instinctive middle linebacker, but I would be concerned what he’s shown in preseason.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:47 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

jammer wrote:
Did you watch any of training camp or are you going off of a vanilla preseason offense? I'm not saying Miami will set the world on fire but give them a little more credit than a few stalled drives with no creativity.

I don't know the guy but to me the author you responded to must be "from Missouri", ie., prove it!, and that's the general consensus from all circles but w/out the window dressings of maybe Tannehill gets it, maybe the veterans come through, maybe Gase is actually head coaching material, maybe the preseason was a clunker on purpose, maybe, maybe.....

At the same time, some can remain hopeful and spin it in that direction but c'mon, given the Dolphins atrocious record of competence for the last however many umpteenth years logic says one can't believe in them until....they prove it. For one, I'm dying for them to do it. Given the huge egg the Hurricanes laid last week, the woeful Marlins and Heat, we have a desolate landscape regarding sports teams so let's hope the Dolphins at least give us some hope if not for the present maybe for the future.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:54 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
but c'mon, given the Dolphins atrocious record of competence for the last however many umpteenth years logic says one can't believe in them until....they prove it.

That is actually a fair statement as they've been a big disappointment; however, let's not forget about 2016 (playoff year) and the lack of leadership we had last year with Cutler as our QB. He didn't have that mental toughness that Tannehill had behind a collapsing pocket. I'm optimistic, but do feel the "burn" of past optimism fresh in my mind. I think the problem with those who take a negative outlook will mostly see the negative and be bridge-jumping early in the season if we don't look like a playoff team early.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:40 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Big Dave wrote:
I think the problem with those who take a negative outlook will mostly see the negative and be bridge-jumping early in the season if we don't look like a playoff team early.

Well, this can be looked a couple of different ways. One, a "negative outlook" at this point isn't necessarily negative in the sense of being unfairly critical, cynical, myopic or any of those criteria. It could be called "realistic" by those informed on Dolphins history and present makeup with no axe to grind in the argument.

And two, those on the "positive outlook" camp, although worthy given the avalanche of data against their position, could be called "delusional" by those same unbiased observers. But nothing wrong with it mind you. It's just concerning to us in the "family" because holding this "fort" while possibly watching Gase and his bunch run for the hills could be a far more painful sacrifice than bridge-jumping.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:32 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

The realistic approach would be admitting you have no idea either way. There are too many new additions this year to say whether 2016 or 2017 is the more accurate version of Gase and his team.

Miami may have lucked out because two of their division rivals will have serious growing pains, and several of their opponents up to the bye aren't exactly world beaters. They could go 6-3 or 3-6 in that stretch and neither would surprise me. They are a middle of the road team with a lot of potential and question marks.

The Patriots and Texans games are the only ones up to the bye where I'd say Miami will struggle mightily. If Tannehill plays at or as well as he did in that stretch of 2016, and the Drake/Gore/Ballage trio produce the way we expect then this offense should be plenty capable enough to keep the team in games and hide defensive weaknesses. Then of course there is the injury wild card that can alter so many things.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:13 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

jammer wrote:
The realistic approach would be admitting you have no idea either way.

To call it exactly, right we don't, nobody does, but neither does suppositions like those: if this happens, if that happens, yada, yada....the word "if" in front of all those qualifications has been in use to describe Miami's hopes and dreams for years, even the 2016 anomaly, it was busted wide open by the Steelers in the playoff game....the problem with trying to categorize sides here is that the "negative" slant is simply the anticipation that this team has bred upon its fans and no one can deny that. It isn't anyone's wishes but let's let the team itself clean out that anticipation and then we'll be on even terms.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:57 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Nothing was busted open by the Steelers. Miami fielded their backup QB who probably played most of the game with a concussion, and the defense was eviscerated by injury. The Steelers were a better team anyway and Miami earned some tough victories that year.

They had one good season and one bad season under Gase. If you've already decided Gase stinks then feel free to anticipate a stinker in 2018. My preference is to not enter every Sunday as if someone wizzed in my Cheerios.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:32 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

If the nfl would stop being so darn cheap and stubborn, they could make more money by offering ala Carte options like mlb does. I bought the Cubs only package for $60. I would gladly shell out $50-$70 for a dolphins only streaming package per season

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:59 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

jammer wrote:
Nothing was busted open by the Steelers.

OK, so ur a glass half full fan, but saying getting blown up 14-0 to the Steelers before the fans were sitting down is getting their false playoff pretense busted open, glass half full or not.

And I'm not saying anything new about Gase and his having to prove something this year. He's on the hot seat coach list. He put himself there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:10 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Well.....awful game to watch. Almost 2 hr weather delay. Fouls aplenty. Boring football. Dolphins defense surprising me, but offense sucking. Just got good field position off an INT and we get Tannehill throwing it back to the Titans on 2nd and goal.

....and now another weather delay.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:10 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I've never seen this, in over 50 years watching football....lightning delays are not uncommon but I look at the weather map and it shows rain with bad weather still a long way off....they are being ultra careful, this whole thing the NFL has going: helmet hits, crack backs, rain....hang nails next?

another weird start to the Fins season...last year was a disaster now this....I can't see any reasonable fan hanging out, it will be empty....and that pic by THill? Unforgivable...that's why we can't believe any of the nonsense we read during camp coverage as to how Thill and Gesicki would be "unstoppable" in goal line plays....Thill threw it like it was his first ever throw in the corner...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:27 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

carreramia wrote:
jammer wrote:
Nothing was busted open by the Steelers.

OK, so ur a glass half full fan, but saying getting blown up 14-0 to the Steelers before the fans were sitting down is getting their false playoff pretense busted open, glass half full or not.

And I'm not saying anything new about Gase and his having to prove something this year. He's on the hot seat coach list. He put himself there.

It was the team's first playoff appearance in several years with a rookie head coach, backup QB, backup defense and against a superior opponent. What exactly did you expect?

It should have been a stepping stone but then last year happened with injuries and oddities.

The only big thing I fault Gase for is signing Jay Cutler and not getting a backup he trusts before Tannehill went down.

I'm not glass half anything to be honest. This team has the talent to be 9-7, which isn't much to be rah rah about. I don't know if they will gel.

So far today they have been better in some areas than I thought they would be...not sure this game is finished before 12 AM though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:30 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I don't remember seeing an NFL game delayed because of lightning. We've now had it done twice in the same game.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:06 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

They have to offer some sort of refund for this, right?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:43 pm 

Doesnt matter. No lightning or storm can stop this juggernaut of a team.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:50 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Special teams show I see

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:17 pm 

Beating up on a playoff team from last season.
Much improved.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:35 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

00xtremeninja wrote:
If the nfl would stop being so darn cheap and stubborn, they could make more money by offering ala Carte options like mlb does. I bought the Cubs only package for $60. I would gladly shell out $50-$70 for a dolphins only streaming package per season

This makes way too much sense so if course they will not do it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:49 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I am happy my prediction was wrong, but man that was a sloppy game.

Defense seems improved, but the alarming drop off for our pass rush is worrying. Reshad Jones put in an awesome game. 2 INT, including a beautiful falling catch and return on the second one. Fitzpatrick looks like the real deal. Very solid game from him. Didn’t hear Howard’s name all day, but I see that as a positive. The team still can’t stop a TE though, but Delanie Walker left with a broken leg in the 4th quarter and that helped our D. Much more physical team. Titans lost Walker, both starting tackles and Mariota during the game.

Offense was a very mixed bag. They are still stinky in the red zone. Tannehill has a great deep pass for one of Stills’ TD’s, but threw two really ugly interceptions. Running was good early, but the Titans shut that off. I don’t really like the dink and dunk passing game, because it gets derailed by stupid penalties too easily....and, yes, we had some stupid offensive line penalties again. The offense was much better when they opened up the intermediate and deep passing game late in the 2nd half.

Jakeem Grant’s KO return was an awesome display of speed, sadly matched by a Titans KO return TD today. Our kicker needs to work on his kickoffs, two kicks didn’t get past the ten and the first one gave the Titans an opening FG and the second resulted in that return TD.

A win is a win though and the early schedule is favorable.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:46 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

AQNOR wrote:
00xtremeninja wrote:

This makes way too much sense so if course they will not do it.

NHL and NBA would be wise to do it too, but once again, they are too stubborn and want all or nothing. Although the NHL would be SOL every 4 years because they have their lockouts and would have to refund everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:46 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Big Dave wrote:
I'm picking the Dolphins to win it 27-23.

What? Who called this? Call me Your Guru. So close.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:24 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Does anyone have any complaints about the Sunday ticket? I have a great friend who lets me watch it online, but it is about 2 plays slower than what everyone else sees on the screen, so, it makes it difficult for me to give good comments in the chat room as the play is over for you. It's not a big deal, but there have been complaints about the Sunday Ticket after two weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:24 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I'll see tomorrow as I am back home after attending the first 2 games. I do know that the red zone channel doesn't work on any mobile device unless you pay the extra for the Sunday Ticket Max. I usually call and complain and then I get it added on for free since I'm a long time subscriber. The red zone channel should work on your TV if you have the Sunday Ticket.

The Red Zone channel should be part of any sports package for all other cable/satellite providers.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:25 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I had decided I wasn't going to purchase the NFL Sunday Ticket this year. I changed my mind and ordered it after the win over the Titans. I usually end up getting to see 4 or 5 games per year that would have been blacked out on our local channels.

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]