View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Michael Lombardi: Miami 1 of 3 Super Bowl contenders in AFC 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Michael Lombardi: Miami 1 of 3 Super Bowl contenders in AFC
Quote:
Blue-chip team: Super Bowl contender
Red-chip team: Playoff contender
Green-chip team: Middle-of-the-pack team
Orange-chip team: Improving but still not near the playoffs
Brown-chip team: No chance to win and the year will be a long one
Teams are listed alphabetically within each grouping.

Blue-chip teams
Indianapolis Colts: Last season, the Colts had eight victories in games decided by eight points or fewer. They had to fight and grind it out to win -- but their leadership and toughness always seemed to prevail. Can they be expected to do the same this year? As long as Peyton Manning stays healthy and the defense keeps improving, the Colts will be a high a seed come January. My concern is that they have contract problems running rampant in their locker room -- much like the Chargers -- and typically those issues seem to prevent teams from winning close games. Will these problems be enough to make them a candidate to get upset in the playoffs? Something tells me yes.

Miami Dolphins: Much has been happening in Miami in recent weeks, but what should not be lost in all the hysteria of the Heat adding LeBron James and Chris Bosh is that the Dolphins are a Super Bowl contender. Last season, they were one of the best teams in the league in terms of execution, but struggled playing 2-minute defense (30th overall) and failed to make explosive plays (gains of 20 yards or more). Miami is close, very close, to becoming a Super Bowl team -- in part due to its size, mental toughness and ability to consistently execute each week. If the Dolphins stop the big plays, make a few of their own, and find a way to close out games, J-Lo and Marc Anthony might have a stake in a Super team.

San Diego Chargers: Everyone realizes Norv Turner knows how to direct a good passing game, but he also loves having a big running back who can control the game and force teams to defend the box -- which he did not have last year. With the addition of RB Ryan Mathews, Turner has his man and will make the already explosive Chargers even more dynamic. The Chargers were unable to run the ball last year, finishing 31st in the league. San Diego picked up four yards on the ground on first down yet the defenses still bit on every play-action fake. If the Chargers can work through some of their off-the-field problems, they can compete with anyone.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... g-big-jump

WOW.

I can't say I agree. I think we're too young. I would put us in the red chip category. However, I do think that with one more off season of adding some weapons offensively, in 2011 we'll be ready to do something real special.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:56 pm

Post Re: Michael Lombardi: Miami 1 of 3 Super Bowl contenders in AFC
Thats what im smellin!!

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:15 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

He sure does like us. I think there are too many question marks on defense. If we expect us to be in the SB mix from the get-go I think we will be disappointed. If we do make the playoffs, anything can happen :)

Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:22 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I agree with Miami and Indianpollis, but San Diego? Jackson is out for 3 games and maybe more, and still haven't fixed their interior O-Line. I'd put the Texans before San Diego. Especially since no team other than Arizona has lost the Super Bowl and then in turn won their division the following season since what, 96 when the Bills did it?

Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]