Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:51 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Travis Wingfield wrote:
With Grant, Danny Amendola and Albert Wilson, Tannehill found an early rhythm. The game-plan (if you want to call it that) focused on a few core principles:

– Get the football out of Tannehill’s hands quickly
– Play from within the pocket
– Take what the defense is giving

And that was the long and the short of Tannehill’s night. He threw 17 passes, he didn’t face an exorbitant amount of pressure, and he made two errors according to Adam Gase. One was one go-route against man-coverage with a single-high safety down around the red zone to Jakeem Grant.

The second was a delay of game penalty in another scoring opportunity inside the red zone. As for the arm talent, his passes were crisp, accurate, and on time. Everything was about rhythm and getting a feel for playing extended reps for the first time in nearly two years.

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/dolphi ... t-panther/

This was a questionable penalty on AJ Derby, but good commentary on Tannehill from Wingfield. It looks as though Tannehill is mentally healed of his ACL injury as well as physically. That's very important.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:20 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A little more .... and thank you, Habib, for the D grade on Gase. His game plans lead to FGs rather than TDs.

Hal Habib wrote:
Earning Cs

QB Ryan Tannehill: Had decent stats (14-of-17, 100 yards). In preseason, he’s 18-of-23 for 132 yards (a 90.6 rating), but more telling is that his average completion has gone for just 7.3 yards and, most importantly, he still hasn’t led the offense on a touchdown drive in preseason. Sooner or later, this offense will have to open up things. On third-and-13, Tannehill’s pass to Albert Wilson didn’t even travel past the line of scrimmage. And a third-and-6 dump-off to Albert Wilson went for just 4 yards. It’s no crime for that not to happen in preseason, but given this team’s offensive struggles the past several seasons, we’re starting to see signs that the 2018 offense will look a lot like 2017, 2016, etc. That means a heavy dose of dink-and-dump, too many penalties in the red zone. For the night, the Dolphins had only one completion of more than 14 yards.

Earning Ds

Coach Adam Gase: Haven’t we seen enough of those woefully short passes on third down — the ones that don’t even come close to the line to gain? And what’s with a draw play on third-and-goal from the 9?

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/events/sp ... qbwPGOB3N/

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:04 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I am guessing the game plan was simply not to get Tannehill hit. Mission accomplished.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:27 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I've been saying that I think they are trying to make Tannehill another Alex Smith. Great, you'll limit mistakes and have a high QB Rating. The problem is that he'll be Alex Smith of the 49ers and have 17 TDs and 5 or 6 Ints.

That isn't exciting at all.

Smith was successful in his final stints in San Fran, but he had a great ground game (Frank Gore) and a very good defense to lean on. Tannehill will have a nice ground game to support him this year, but that defense...I just can't embrace it yet.

Maybe Dolphin Dad is right and Gase just wants to limit Tannehill getting hit. But the offense needs to do better. Can't go far in this league with an average QB and question marks on defense. Foles, Flacco, E. Manning, even Wilson (when he won) had outstanding defenses helping them out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:42 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I've been saying that I think they are trying to make Tannehill another Alex Smith. Great, you'll limit mistakes and have a high QB Rating. The problem is that he'll be Alex Smith of the 49ers and have 17 TDs and 5 or 6 Ints.

That isn't exciting at all.

Smith was successful in his final stints in San Fran, but he had a great ground game (Frank Gore) and a very good defense to lean on. Tannehill will have a nice ground game to support him this year, but that defense...I just can't embrace it yet.

Maybe Dolphin Dad is right and Gase just wants to limit Tannehill getting hit. But the offense needs to do better. Can't go far in this league with an average QB and question marks on defense. Foles, Flacco, E. Manning, even Wilson (when he won) had outstanding defenses helping them out.

You see Jammer that is the problem right there. i think you should embrace the D more, maybe it will give them some idea about wrapping up and tackling but you refuse to go the extra mile.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:09 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Draw play is ran waaaaaay too much

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:26 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Gase is nothing special. He can’t seem to create a capable offense. He can’t maintian any kind of team discipline, as evidenced by the continuing stupid penalties. This is exacerbated by an offense designed for short quick passing plays that net very few yards. It means you have to run a lot of plays on a drive....more chances for the stupid penalties we have come to expect from a Gase-coached team.

Tannehill’s game is suffering under this style of play. I think he is actually capable of delivering accurate mid-range throws and even deep throws when the O line plays well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:00 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phinished wrote:
Gase is nothing special. He can’t seem to create a capable offense. He can’t maintian any kind of team discipline, as evidenced by the continuing stupid penalties. This is exacerbated by an offense designed for short quick passing plays that net very few yards. It means you have to run a lot of plays on a drive....more chances for the stupid penalties we have come to expect from a Gase-coached team.

Tannehill’s game is suffering under this style of play. I think he is actually capable of delivering accurate mid-range throws and even deep throws when the O line plays well.

On our old board, we had an award for a post like this one. We called it the VOR Award, or Voice Of Reason award. Way to Go!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:34 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Gee, he didn't use to have those issues... But I guess you're right. It must be the coach.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]