All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:53 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Thoughts on the NFL's new rules for tackling? This is how we teach the kids to tackle in Pee Wee football. It's textbook tackling ... and it cannot done any longer.

MMQB wrote:
After a full weekend of games, a lot of coaches are going back to study how the helmet rule was officiated. I solicited some opinions from defensive guys that basically wound up being, “We’re going to wait and see.” One defensive coordinator texted, “I think the concept is good, but it is hard to officiate properly. I’d rather them not continually change the game.” Another defensive coach added that with new tackling techniques out there—like the rugby style that the Seahawks have embraced—there are ways to teach that can help you avoid flags. “Defensive players track the crotch to near hip of the ball carrier, and bend to hit on the rise,” he said. “Shoulder pads down near the belt of the ball-carrier, strike with your near shoulder and wrap up, that’s Seahawks tackling. If you teach it that way, there’s no issue.” To be honest, what I was surprised I didn’t feel a forceful push against the rule at all. The enforcement of it, like I said, is warranting another look from many coaches.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/13/jon-g ... uspensions

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:29 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Another "blow" to the NFL, no pun intended. They are dying a slow death and they don't even realize it. Ratings will be lower this year than the last two. It's sad that this once great professional sport is going down the toilet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:22 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

We'll see how it's actually enforced. My guess (and the opinion of some of the experts on NFL radio on Sirius XM) is that it will be very inconsistent at first until the refs get on the same page and then it will be fairly uncommon; maybe 2-3 calls per week total. If I'm wrong and it proves to be a lot more than that than there's no question that it will have negative effect on the game.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:03 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

How its enforced is exactly what's wrong with the rule. Teams like the Patriots will get away with it. Teams like Miami won't. Hate subjective rules.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]