View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Dolphins' Soliai must prove worth with Starks' switch 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Dolphins' Soliai must prove worth with Starks' switch
Quote:
When Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland announced after the second day of the NFL Draft that Randy Starks would be moving inside to nose tackle full-time in 2010, there was little question who stood to lose the most in that transition.

Paul Soliai.

the Dolphins took a long look at Tennessee nose tackle prospect Dan Williams in the draft before eventually trading down and selecting Jared Odrick to play defensive end, with Starks moving inside.

Was that switch discussed with Soliai in advance? Or did he even have any inkling it was coming?

"No, not really," he said this summer. "I really didn't know anything about it."

As the organized team activities came to an end in mid-June, Soliai said he had already cut his weight down to the 349 range.

"My goal," he said, "is 345."

"I played hurt," Soliai said. "Considering how my ankle felt, I think I played pretty good. It was a good feeling for me just to start a couple of games. It was a good experience to become a starter."

Ask Dolphins coach Tony Sparano if Soliai missed his window of opportunity, and you'll get a quick denial and a statement of public faith.

"I wouldn't say that he missed his window of opportunity," Sparano said

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:49 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: Dolphins' Soliai must prove worth with Starks' switch
Soliai had better recognize that he could easily be on the Endangered Species list this September.

The thing about him is, he does have a world of physical talent, but requires a member of the staff to watch over him.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:51 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

padre31 wrote:
Soliai had better recognize that he could easily be on the Endangered Species list this September.

The thing about him is, he does have a world of physical talent, but requires a member of the staff to watch over him.

I am sorry, but how old is this guy?? Why does he need someone to look after him? Is he really a child in disguise? This really annoys me, when grown adults cannot take responsibility for themselves and need "minders". If he cannot keep in shape to play football, then perhaps we should be looking for another NT backup.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

My junior year of high school, we didn't have a defensive tackle and our defense was pretty terrible...I remember coach yelling at one of the guys that came in to man the position, "Just lay your fat butt on the ground and make them at least go around you!"
If you're 345lbs, and you still get pushed around...well I'm sorry, but you suck. The least you could do is just fall over.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]