Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:23 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:25 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

While I don't think Drake needs any motivation, it looks like Coach Gase wants them both to battle it out. I think it's a good 1-2 punch.

RotoWorld wrote:
Kenyan Drake and Frank Gore were listed as co-starters on the Dolphins' initial training camp depth chart. This is somewhat of a surprise after Drake finished last year as Miami's lead ball-carrier, though the Dolphins have been talking up Gore all summer. While it's still hard to imagine Drake actually splitting work with a 35-year-old, it's clear that Gore will have a role this season. His presence downgrades Drake to borderline RB2 status in fantasy leagues.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11263/kenyan-drake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:30 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'm a little confused. The depth chart lists Asista at RG, but Barry Jackson is reporting that he has been playing 2nd team LG which would be backing up Sitton.

Barry Jackson wrote:
Asiata, who didn’t play a snap last season after being drafted in the fifth round, had a nice block on a run and said his mobility has improved since losing 20 pounds this offseason to get to 327.

“I feel I can move,” he said. “Nobody wants to come to the NFL for one year and then be done. I’ve improved a lot. I let it overwhelm me last year, didn’t feel like myself. I decided if I’m going to do this, I have to have confidence to do it.”

Asiata, competing for a roster spot, has worked primarily as a second-team left guard in camp.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:19 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Gore has been near flawless during camp. Drake has fumbled a few times and dropped passes. Gase isn't going to get cute about things, he'll play the guy who executes best. He can't afford another question mark season.

Nothing about the rest surprises me. I could see Escobar leap frogging Derby just due to injury. Derby has been healthy for all of a practice and a half. I think he's had injury issues before.

Gesicki is going to get a lot of snaps and Gray has definitely jumped into the lead for starter.

I think the offense will be efficient this year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:24 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I am rooting for Taveze Calhoun to make the team of at least the practice squad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:28 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

A little bit of an eyebrow raised at Baker being listed ahead of Hull. I don't think Hull's job is in jeopardy; he's too valuable on special teams.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:59 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

k-dash wrote:
A little bit of an eyebrow raised at Baker being listed ahead of Hull. I don't think Hull's job is in jeopardy; he's too valuable on special teams.

Mike Hull is a nice story and has made a few plays, but Miami drafted 2 LBs this year and Chase Allen has been good in camp. I think Hull's roster spot in definitely in jeopardy, especially if the rooks can handle special teams.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:25 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Kudos to everyone here for not freaking out seeing our high draft picks buried on the depth chart. We have all been through this before as we know this is the process of making the rookies earn their roster spots.

Armando Salguero wrote:
Two years ago when the Dolphins drafted Laremy Tunsil in the first round, the coaching staff knew on draft night the offensive lineman would be a starter the first game of the regular season. And you know where Tunsil opened training camp on the depth chart?

Buried.

Coaches didn’t want Tunsil to feel entitled. They didn’t want to put undue pressure on him. They also wanted to let him settle in slowly, although not too slowly.

So the Dolphins managed the situation and the depth chart.

And that seems to continue now, particularly with the team’s tight end position.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]