Here is who we have who could potentially play for the Dolphins:

Kenny Stills
Danny Amendola
DeVante Parker
Albert Wilson
Jakeem Grant
Leonte Carroo
Isaiah Ford

Traditionally we keep 5. Will we keep 6? I've been hearing that Ford was a steal in the 7th round, and that the Dolphins reached with Carroo by trading two draft picks to move up.

Since Grant has the most the trade value of the bottom 3, do we trade Grant, keep Ford, and cut Carroo (he will be picked up by another team) and go with our traditional 5? Grant is a speedy playmaker who plays like a bigger receiver, I would like to keep Grant as he also plays special teams. I just don't see us going with 6 receivers when we need DL, OL, CB, and LB depth. Ford seems to be injury prone, but he studies that playbook (unlike Carroo who has started to do that more recently) and is a great route runner. He also has leaping ability.

Thoughts?

Adam Beasley wrote:
Simple math tells us that no more than five can appear on the field at any time, and pass protection needs to be incredible to pull that off. It, so far this camp, has not been. Then there’s this stat from Pro Football Focus: The Dolphins did not go five-wide once last year.

So there’s no way that the Dolphins would be able to use all six of these guys with any kind of regularity without putting some serious money on the bench. Stills, Amendola and Wilson all have annual salaries of at least $6 million.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:35 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Thinking outside the box here but what if the odd man out is...Parker?

Stills, Amendola and Wilson aren't going anywhere. Grant has had a very good camp as has Ford (although that injury bug is creeping up on him).

Gesicki has supposedly been very good as a receiver and offers the big RZ target. When healthy, AJ Derby has been praised for his route running and, again, offers a bigger target.

Carroo doesn't look like he is making the team.

If Miami is offered a mid round pick for Parker, would they take it?

***Disclaimer*** I am not suggesting they do nor have I read a single rumor. Just wondering since there always appears to be a big, surprise move for the Dolphins.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:35 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

In fairness to Parker, he is being covered by Xavien Howard. All reports suggest Howard has been playing at a Pro Bowl type level this first week aka don't throw near him!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:31 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
In fairness to Parker, he is being covered by Xavien Howard. All reports suggest Howard has been playing at a Pro Bowl type level this first week aka don't throw near him!

Have not read reports he is playing like a probowler. Just that he is blanketing Parker. Not sure that is the same thing but hope so.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:37 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
Here is who we have who could potentially play for the Dolphins:

Kenny Stills
Danny Amendola
DeVante Parker
Albert Wilson
Jakeem Grant
Leonte Carroo
Isaiah Ford

Traditionally we keep 5. Will we keep 6? I've been hearing that Ford was a steal in the 7th round, and that the Dolphins reached with Carroo by trading two draft picks to move up.

Since Grant has the most the trade value of the bottom 3, do we trade Grant, keep Ford, and cut Carroo (he will be picked up by another team) and go with our traditional 5? Grant is a speedy playmaker who plays like a bigger receiver, I would like to keep Grant as he also plays special teams. I just don't see us going with 6 receivers when we need DL, OL, CB, and LB depth. Ford seems to be injury prone, but he studies that playbook (unlike Carroo who has started to do that more recently) and is a great route runner. He also has leaping ability.

Thoughts?

Adam Beasley wrote:
Simple math tells us that no more than five can appear on the field at any time, and pass protection needs to be incredible to pull that off. It, so far this camp, has not been. Then there’s this stat from Pro Football Focus: The Dolphins did not go five-wide once last year.

So there’s no way that the Dolphins would be able to use all six of these guys with any kind of regularity without putting some serious money on the bench. Stills, Amendola and Wilson all have annual salaries of at least $6 million.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... rylink=cpy

Keep 5 on roster and decide between Carroo and Ford. Count Grant as a special teamer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:44 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:

I had never given this a thought, but it is possible that he gets traded. Gase has Albert Wilson as 2nd string even though we are paying him almost $8 mil a season. According to Gase, Wilson is not a slot receiver even though he played that a lot at KC.

Adam Beasley wrote:
Parker has been largely ineffective through five training camp practices, particularly in team drills. While Danny Amendola, Albert Wilson, Jakeem Grant and Isaiah Ford have all flashed, Parker is still waiting for that signature play.

http://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/m ... ssion=true

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:10 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AQNOR wrote:
jammer wrote:

Have not read reports he is playing like a probowler. Just that he is blanketing Parker. Not sure that is the same thing but hope so.

Depends on which guy is saying it and how dramatic he wants the description to be. The main point is that none of the QBs are throwing near him and whoever he is covering isn't getting open.

Even Captain Negative (Omar) has said Howard looks legit.

Another thing to consider with the receivers is that Amendola, Stills and Parker all have a history of nagging injuries. Miami may keep several just to cover that.

Per Matt Cannata, his sources say that Carroo is unlikely to make it through final cuts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:32 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Here's a little update on where the Dolphins like Isaiah Ford - in the slot. He's been this year's offseason hype by the media. He is a very good route runner, has good hands, and has leaping ability. He has a real chance of making the team.

Jason Lieser wrote:
Second-year receiver Isaiah Ford has been working in the slot and progressing well after missing all of last season with an injury.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost. ... ning-camp/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:12 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Read that Amendola is taking Ford under his wing to mentor him on the position.

Miami has done a pretty good job of identifying guys who work well in the slot. Davone Bess, Jarvis Landry, Rishard Matthews (at least sometimes) and now hopefully Ford.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:22 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This is a comment about Lippett's difficulty so far in practice, but what I want to emphasize is Coach Gase's comments about Grant. It's good to see Jakeem Grant taking the next step forward and challenging the secondary.

Armando Salguero wrote:
“I think he’s (Lippett) had some days where he has a tough matchup a lot of the times because it seems like he’s on Jakeem [Grant] quite a bit and that will test you right out of the gate as far as being able to transition and trying to stay with a guy with really good speed.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Ford is hurt again. As much as he played at Virginia Tech, I have to think this is just a hiccup. Also, not sure if we should have one less offensive lineman, but not have Pouncey does mean that we don't have to worry about an injury prone offensive lineman.

Barry Jackson wrote:
It’s increasingly difficult to envision Leonte Carroo or Rashawn Scott — two receivers who have spent time on the 53-man roster — making the team.

But Carroo could still stick if he’s exceptional in preseason games and if Isaiah Ford (who was sidelined Wednesday by a shoulder injury) has health issues or plays much worse in games than he has in practice.

By keeping one less offensive lineman or only three running backs, Miami easily could accommodate keeping six receivers. Ford would be the front-runner for the hypothetical sixth job entering preseason — if he’s healthy.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:59 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Ford is missing a lot of practice time. Doesn't matter how talented you are if you cannot stay on the field.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:07 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Parker may get his butt traded for a CB. Don't be shocked if the Dolphins have been sending out feelers on this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:07 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I'm not surprised and its why I said it a couple weeks ago. Already rumblings on Twitter about it.

The only thing that worries me is which other receiver can lay out for deep passes the way Parker does?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:40 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I would try to trade Stills. He seems hard fast to continue to kneel regardless of the punitive effects.......suspensions. So it's anyone's guess, how much he actually plays. Like I said in a previous post, you don't pay players (employees) who cost you money. Your workplace is not the environment to make political stands, particularly when the method used offends your core customer base.

The hard facts are the Team needs to find someone to take his $8M salary and be able to absorb a $5.25M cap hit this year.........obviously, that is going to be tough.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Parker has a broken finger and may not be available for Week 1. 4 to 6 week recovery time

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:31 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

DP's injury certainly hurts his trade-ability.

Francis Owusu is making a late push. He keeps flashing in practice, where I'm hearing crickets about Caroo. Several of these guys will get stashed on practice squad if they don't get picked up. I think they keep 6.

Parker
Stills
Amendola
Grant
Wilson
Ford

Stash Caroo and Owusu and Drew Morgan on the practice squad if they make it through waivers.
If they trade any of them, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep Caroo b/c of his high draft stock, but they might well be tired of waiting for him to step up and keep only 5, or keep whoever is better on special teams.

Another factor is that the new kickoff rules means that teams will be trying to keep extra fast guys for coverage units as opposed to linemen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:47 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
I would try to trade Stills. He seems hard fast to continue to kneel regardless of the punitive effects.......suspensions. So it's anyone's guess, how much he actually plays. Like I said in a previous post, you don't pay players (employees) who cost you money. Your workplace is not the environment to make political stands, particularly when the method used offends your core customer base.

The hard facts are the Team needs to find someone to take his $8M salary and be able to absorb a $5.25M cap hit this year.........obviously, that is going to be tough.

I'm not advocating trading anyone, but the same thought occurred to me as I read this thread. Not that I'm expecting it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened. Does it make sense from a cap and talent perspective? No.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]