All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:48 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Last year, we saw others teams improve after actually getting rid of talented players. What improved on those teams was attitude and players got hungry. Coach Gase decided early last season that he had a culture problem, and one can say that the culture and attitude has changed on this team positively. Having Tannehilll back helps tremendously. I see better than 6 wins this year. How many more? If the offense does what I think it will do, I can see 9 wins. I know that is optimistic, but I think there is room for optimism. If the team tanks, I see a QB rebuilding year for us next year as we will have a high pick in the draft. Hopefully not.

Albert Breer wrote:
MIAMI DOLPHINS

2017 record: 6-10
Crucial veteran additions: WR Danny Amendola, WR Albert Wilson, RB Frank Gore, OG Josh Sitton, C Daniel Kilgore, DE Robert Quinn, DT Akeem Spence
Crucial veteran losses: WR Jarvis Landry, TE Julius Thomas, C Mike Pouncey, DT Ndamukong Suh, LB Lawrence Timmons

What improved?

The atmosphere. Miami’s brass felt like an individualistic culture in 2017 made it difficult for the team to deal with the adversity (Ryan Tannehill’s injury, O-line coach Chris Foerster’s adventure, Hurricane Irma) it faced early last year, and so the idea this offseason was to prioritize finding leaders. The Dolphins feel like, with guys like Frank Gore, Albert Wilson and Danny Amendola coming in, that’s been accomplished. And getting Tannehill in, after much speculation that his replacement would be drafted, is a plus.

What needs work?

It would be great if rookie safety Minkah Fitzpatrick and sophomore LB Raekwon McMillan, who missed his rookie year with a torn ACL, could be instant-impact guys at need spots. And the offseason overhaul of an offensive line that struggled last year bears watching.

What can we expect?

Pressure on Tannehill on perform in his third year under Adam Gase, based on Miami’s flirtation with the quarterbacks in the draft class. And pressure on everyone to show the promise they did in 2016 again. The performance of a defensive line losing Ndamukong Suh, but adding Robert Quinn and Akeem Spence and bringing back 2017 first-round pick Charles Harris, will be key.

Fact/tidbit/piece of news learned from OTAs/minicamp: There’s more buzz that Gase will finally be able to weaponize tempo in his offense like he and Peyton Manning once did in Denver, which is a good sign for how all the new pieces are fitting together.

Letter grade: B-minus. Quinn has to stay healthy, and Daniel Kilgore has to prove he can perform close to how Mike Pouncey was. But the idea was to improve the culture overall, and that’s been accomplished. We’ll see if it’s enough to make up for the losses of Suh and Jarvis Landry.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/08/afc-e ... i-dolphins

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:24 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

A surprisingly balanced report from the national media. I'm starting to think that one of the biggest pieces in determining the success of the defense this year is McMillan. If he steps in and plays well that will be huge.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:41 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
Crucial veteran losses: WR Jarvis Landry, TE Julius Thomas, C Mike Pouncey, DT Ndamukong Suh, LB Lawrence Timmons

Really.... Julius Thomas a crucial loss?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:37 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Timmons blew too

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:31 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

vafinfan wrote:
Quote:

Really.... Julius Thomas a crucial loss?

I think he needs a separate column titled: "Poor free agent decisions".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:55 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
I think he needs a separate column titled: "Poor free agent decisions".

I honestly don't know how some of these writers have their credentials, it's like they don't even follow the team. Write something, throw it at the wall and see what sticks?

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]