Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:29 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I love this guy. Cam Wake is the man.

Barry Jackson wrote:
Since becoming a pro, Wake has sacrificed all sorts of pleasurable activities, from consuming alcohol to fried foods to sugary desserts. The upshot has been a career that has featured five Pro Bowls, one first-team All Pro selection (2012) and 92 sacks, which ranks 42nd on the NFL’s all-time list.

Wake, 36, gave up alcohol in 2005, the year he went undrafted out of Penn State. He has said he hasn’t eaten fried foods or desserts (beyond fruit) since the Dolphins signed him out of the CFL in 2009.

But Wake isn’t only living that life. He’s also preaching that life, while being careful not to judge teammates who lack the desire or self-discipline to make that sort of sacrifice.

“What is it worth to you?” Wake repeated. “Is one more sack worth five years of a clean diet? Some would say, ‘That’s crazy. I love cheeseburgers.’ Cheeseburgers, women, party all that stuff will be there. You will have only one Monday night football game. People come to me [and say] you’re crazy. But also some people say I will do whatever I can to make myself better.”

Wake says there are no cheat days.

“I said in 2005 I’m not going to have beer because 3rd and 10 and [the opponent is] hurting, I know I have a step ahead of him. Cheeseburgers will taste the same in 10 years as now. The sack won’t be there. I decided many years ago this is going to be my life if I want to be successful. Every week I take off is a week I’m stepping back or a sack I’m going to miss or a play I’m not going to get. It all comes down to whether it’s worth it.”

Wake frames it this way to rookies: “Listen, if you never drink a drink of alcohol throughout your entire career, you’ll have 15 more sacks the year you’re playing. Is that worth it for you? Some guys say yes, some guys say no. Never have fried food in 10 years, make X more money. Some guys say yes, some guys say no. To me, even if it’s one sack, one play, it’s worth it. Ten years from now when I’m not playing, I can have all the cheeseburgers, all the beaches, because I put the time in now to make sure I have all those things. It’s 24-7. This is my life and it won’t change until I’m not playing."

The upshot, he said, is “I feel as good as I’ve ever felt.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... 11429.html

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]