View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Most Underrated - WR Davone Bess 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Most Underrated - WR Davone Bess
Matty I wrote:
Most Underrated

Davone Bess - I think it's impossible not to list Bess at the top of this list. Bess quietly finished 11th in the AFC in receptions (76) while catching over 67% of the passes thrown his way. He officially had just four drops - and even that low figure was a surprise. Davone's value really showed on third downs, though. Bess was first in the AFC and second in the entire NFL in third down receptions that resulted in first downs, converting 28 third downs (just one behind the NFL leader). Not bad for an undrafted free agent who was in just his second season in the NFL. Look for D-Bess to finally start getting the national respect he deserves as he continues to gain experience and improve.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2010/7/8/15 ... ated-miami

Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:43 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: Most Underrated - WR Davone Bess
Agree 100%. I just can't believe he was putting those numbers in Hawaii and still was undrafted... Jackpot if you ask me...

Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:38 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I can't until training camp to see if RGM has the talent Bess has as so many say he does.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dan wrote:
I just can't believe he was putting those numbers in Hawaii and still was undrafted.

You can't? Numbers don't tell the whole story, especially in Hawaii. Remember Timmy Chang? Neither does the NFL.
He has certainly been a bit of a steal though. I probably wouldn't have drafted him, but now that he's proven himself, I wouldn't let him go.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:17 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The Rainbows used to have a very pass-happy offense. Still, it was a pro-style offense, so, Bess had a good foundation of success for the NFL. I like how we're going more for the sure-handed receiver than the athletic ones with "upside".

Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Iowafin wrote:
Dan wrote:
I just can't believe he was putting those numbers in Hawaii and still was undrafted.

You can't? Numbers don't tell the whole story, especially in Hawaii. Remember Timmy Chang? Neither does the NFL.
He has certainly been a bit of a steal though. I probably wouldn't have drafted him, but now that he's proven himself, I wouldn't let him go.

I think its different for WRs though, I mean I know he got bigger numbers because of the offense but it also means he got more experience route running in game situations. WRs don't change nearly as much from college to pro as QBs do. But there was some things in his past that people were concerned about but nothing massive.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iceberg85 wrote:
WRs don't change nearly as much from college to pro as QBs do.

They most certainly do. Defensive backs, quarterbacks and wide receivers have the toughest transition. Derek Hagan had "stellar" numbers and he sucks. His production at Hawaii didn't warrant being drafted. Everyone wants to discuss size and speed, and Bess has neither. Same with Welker. He went undrafted, but both are very determined to use their quickness and awareness to make up for that.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:19 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Bess is a "nice" player but looking at those rankings and not seeing Brandon Marshall there leads me to believe there is something wrong with the ratings process. Bess lacks long speed so that will inhibit his ability to break into any top group of WR's. He is great in short areas but he won't be amongst the best at his position in the NFL.

ddave

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:45 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Actually the numbers are a result of the hard work he puts in before he catches the ball. Ideally he is not the prototypical WR but some people just have that about them. Bess has it. As far as being undrafted, it was a combination of a bunch of things. He ran a slow 40 with a pulled hamstring. But now that u know enough about Bess you know that he won't let that deter him. As far as a pass happy offense, it has nothing to do with it (Emmanuel Sanders - SMU, same position, same exact offense with the same coach as Bess). Bess just wasn't as fortunate as others but, now he can say the reverse is true. Incidentally Sanders was drafted by the Steelers in the 3rd round at 5'11 and 186. Bess is 5'10 190.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:50 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Dolfandave wrote:
Bess is a "nice" player but looking at those rankings and not seeing Brandon Marshall there leads me to believe there is something wrong with the ratings process. Bess lacks long speed so that will inhibit his ability to break into any top group of WR's. He is great in short areas but he won't be amongst the best at his position in the NFL.

ddave

Among all recievers I would agree but at the slot, he can certainly be among the best, he is not far away. I do see a 1,000 yard season in Bess' future.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Nice article, Dave; thanks. Bess is a prototype slot receiver; great routes and sticky hands, good wiggle after the catch. I was also impressed a great deal by the throws Henne makes in some of those highlights. I guess the offseason gave me a chance to forget what kind of arm the kid has. I'm stoked to see what he can do with Marshall.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]