Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

Very early "Who wins Miami's backup QB competition?"
David Fales 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Brock Osweiler 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
Total votes: 7
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:42 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I liked what Fales did in our last game of the season, but I think Osweiler wins the job. He took this season and signed on the cheap making it a learning year to get back to what he once had. I think he wants another shot at a starting position in the league.

Barry Jackson wrote:
Quarterbacks coach Bo Hardegree’s assessment of the top backup quarterback candidates (David Fales and Brock Osweiler): Fales “does a really good job of getting the ball out fast because he is a very smart person….

“I knew Brock at Denver when I was there. Obviously he’s been at a couple of different places since then. We’re doing some things mechanically with him to kind of make everything consistent, which he’s doing a really good job. I think he’s throwing the ball really well. He’s a very good communicator.”

That communication element will be weighed heavily in selecting a backup. Here’s why:

“They have to be able to get all 10 other guys on the same page,” Hardegree said. “That’s what you look for is communication. It’s a big part because we’re no huddle. How do they operate? How do they get in and out of plays? The big thing we talk about is we have to learn how to be able to not lose before we can win, and be able to save those plays and get us to a check down. Those are big things that I look for and we do as a staff.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:17 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I picked Fales because he was first on the list.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:06 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AQNOR wrote:
I picked Fales because he was first on the list.

:haha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:10 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This is a very exciting discussion. I had to go with a Brock.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:35 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

A rookie QB drafted in the mid rounds should be the one to win the back up competition....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:29 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
A rookie QB drafted in the mid rounds should be the one to win the back up competition....

You would think. They shouldn’t have even signed Osweiler. Even on a vet min. He doesn’t fit in Miami. Still doesn’t make sense to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:27 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rich wrote:

You would think. They shouldn’t have even signed Osweiler. Even on a vet min. He doesn’t fit in Miami. Still doesn’t make sense to me.

While I feel more comfortable having a quarterback with some game-time experience backing up my quarterback rather than a mid-round draft pick, that is one of the reasons why young quarterbacks do not develop. If you pick a quarterback in the mid-rounds, that's a big investment. You give him the time in practice to develop and that takes a lot of snaps against your first team defense.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:50 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Don't sleep on David Fales. Gase likes him and his short/mid range accuracy will do well with this receiving group. The question is will defenses easily adjust knowing he isn't a guy who can stretch the field?

Osweiler's contract is easy to cut.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:38 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Don't sleep on David Fales. Gase likes him and his short/mid range accuracy will do well with this receiving group. The question is will defenses easily adjust knowing he isn't a guy who can stretch the field?

I was very impressed with his mobility against the Bills. Despite the pressure he was always looking for an open receiver. It's hard to teach that quality in a young quarterback. He needs to work on his accuracy though. That's also hard to teach a QB.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:33 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Here's an update from Barry Jackson on David Fales. He singles him out as a QB besides Tannehill who is doing a good job so far in OTAs. One advantage of Fales over Osweiler is that Fales can be here long-term. Osweiler is here to fix his bad tendencies.

Barry Jackson wrote:
Aside from a poorly-thrown interception that Taveze Calhoun returned for a touchdown Wednesday, Fales has been the best of the backup quarterbacks, showing good touch on intermediate and deep throws.

“He’s playing at the highest level I have ever seen him play,” Loggains said. “It’s a credit to him, because he’s done a lot of stuff in the summer, in the offseason with the strength training stuff. He’s worked really hard to get stronger and be a more accurate passer with more power.

“He did have the benefit of being here. The offense has been tweaked a little bit even since I was with Adam Gase in Chicago in 2015 and when Fales was with us then. So he does have the advantage of being here last year and understanding those things."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:33 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Barry Jackson is saying that right now, Fales is looking better than Oswieler. Of course, decisions won't be made until we see them in preseason games.

Barry Jackson wrote:
Watching Brock Osweiler throw in Miami Dolphins practices the past three weeks at times has been akin to watching a pitcher with control problems.

During one sequence late in Tuesday’s practice, he badly missed high on a pass to Jakeem Grant and badly missed low on another throw.

There have been some good throws, too, the type of passes that make you believe he could possibly recapture the magic that helped him during a seven-game stretch for Denver in 2015, when he threw 10 touchdowns and six interceptions.

What’s frustrating is the inconsistency with accuracy. On Wednesday, he followed one great throw to Albert Wilson with a pass that was off the mark.

Then he had pass swatted away by Andre Branch at the line of scrimmage. And that was followed by a really well-thrown ball to Grant.

Osweiler needs to level out his performances — and curtail the poor throws — if he’s going to beat out David Fales and underdog Bryce Petty for the backup quarterback job this summer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:08 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Omar Kelly is saying Fales has definitely taken another step in his game.

This is seriously something to watch. He has three things you cannot coach: command of the huddle, ability to read the field quickly and throws with anticipation. There is a reason he drew Pennington comparisons during his draft evaluation.

The only thing holding him back is arm strength. You wondered about his deep ball but every practice you read about him hitting a deep TD throw. Gase said Fales and Grant have hooked up for 5 deep TDs alone.

I'm rooting for this guy, maybe to be even more than a backup.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:31 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Barry Jackson's obervations on the backup quarterbacks following our last OTA:

Barry Jackson wrote:
But this much is clear: In practices open to the media, Fales — who was third on the depth chart last year — has been clearly the best of the three contenders for the No. 2 QB job, outplaying both Brock Osweiler and Bryce Petty. And from all indications, Fales also has done good work in practices that were closed to the media, too.Fales lofted a perfectly thrown deep ball to Jakeem Grant for a touchdown Thursday, and Gase noted that was about the fifth long connection between the two of them in 12 offseason practices.Fales, on that throw to Grant, did good work reading the coverage, saw the safety “bite down and went over the top,” Gase said.Teammates have been impressed.

Osweiler, meanwhile, has struggled with accuracy through four weeks of practices. On Thursday, he threw a poor pass that linebacker Chase Allen nearly intercepted. Petty has been up and down.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:45 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Scouts believe that the Dolphins really do not have anyone behind Tannehill who can win games. If Tannehill goes down then we are looking at a top 5 pick in 2019.

:speechless

Barry Jackson wrote:
Though David Fales played well this offseason, the executive said the Dolphins are short-sighted in believing a capable backup will emerge from Brock Osweiler, Fales or Bryce Petty.

“They are getting guys from the bottom of the barrel," the executive said. "If Ryan Tannehill can’t play, it's going to be a long season, top five in the draft. Their skill guys are average. DeVante Parker hasn’t done it. Danny Amendola was a system player; let's see if he's as good at that system with Tannehill throwing instead of Tom Brady.”

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]