All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:16 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I guess I wasn't expecting that, but McCain is definitely rising and had a good 2017 season. Slot corners have been hard for this team to find. Another thing, we've been complaining about this team allowing their free agents to leave while not evaluating them correctly while with us, so, hopefully this is a smart move by us. I sure hope it's not another dumb free agent move that we made as we did last year.

RotoWorld wrote:
Dolphins signed CB Bobby McCain to a four-year, $27 million extension.The deal includes $13 million guaranteed. Miami used their post June cap space from releasing Ndamukong Suh to extend McCain. This is a huge win for agent Drew Rosenhaus, making McCain the highest paid slot corner in the league. McCain played most of his snaps inside during his breakout 2017, but may see more time opposite Xavien Howard this season.

PFF listed their top slot corners, and even thought McCain had an outstanding 81 grade (best of our CBs) he was not listed.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-top-eight-slot-cornerbacks-for-2018

However ....

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:02 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Who's happy?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:42 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Thanks for keeping us updated with all of this stuff Dave. I hope I'm wrong but this feels like the Branch extension to me, which means I think we'll be regretting it in a year or two.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:28 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

k-dash wrote:
Thanks for keeping us updated with all of this stuff Dave. I hope I'm wrong but this feels like the Branch extension to me, which means I think we'll be regretting it in a year or two.

This reminds me more of Tannehills contract that so many balked at when he signed it. whether he is the long term answer or not Tannehill is now the 18th highest paid QB, which is not expensive at all for a career 89.18 QB rating (minus his rookie season). McCain is 24 and only has room to grow, 7 million a year average may be considered a steal a couple of years from now if he continues to grow. With the addition of Minkah we at least have a very promising young DB core.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:49 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

k-dash wrote:
Thanks for keeping us updated with all of this stuff Dave.

:like

k-dash wrote:

Wow, I hope not. B/R had him as their 6th best slot corner last year, and it wasn't a contract year, so, I am hoping he doesn't "Branch" us this year to where we hear excuses from the coaches as to why he isn't playing well (as they did Branch). While the contract is large, the guaranteed money is only $13 million, so, we can cut him in two years if doesn't live up to that contract.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:04 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

flodro18 wrote:
This reminds me more of Tannehills contract that so many balked at when he signed it. whether he is the long term answer or not Tannehill is now the 18th highest paid QB, which is not expensive at all for a career 89.18 QB rating (minus his rookie season). McCain is 24 and only has room to grow, 7 million a year average may be considered a steal a couple of years from now if he continues to grow. With the addition of Minkah we at least have a very promising young DB core.

Welcome back, flodro!

:welcomeback

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:11 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I only caught an hour or two of game time all last season. I don’t recall hearing and reading about much Bobby McCain hype.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:43 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I guess we wil have more evidence if the brain trust is good at identifying talent early and paying reasonable rates to keep them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:07 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

McCain has been consistant week in and out for 2 straight seasons....

This is a contract year so the options were:

1. Wait and see, he has another good year, then decides to test FA and goes to another team.
Dolphins fans are mad because we should have signed him earlier

2. Sign him now to this contract.
Dolphins fans are mad because we shouldn't overpay for a nickle DB

:saywhat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:59 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Here's some details about McCain's contract as per The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson.

Barry Jackson wrote:
▪ A few details inside a confidential copy of cornerback Bobby McCain’s four-year, $27 million contract extension that actually takes effect in 2019 but gives him an immediate signing bonus:

▪ McCain’s cap hit actually decreased for 2018, from $1.9 million to $1.5 million. Because he received a $3.7 million signing bonus, he agreed to lower his base salary this season from $1.9 million to the league minimum of $705,000.

▪ McCain’s cap numbers will then be $6.34 million in 2019, $6.24 million in 2020, $7.14 million in 2021 and $7.74 million in 2022.

▪ McCain is due $13 million in guaranteed money but nothing is guaranteed after the 2020 season. He’s due $5.6 million in guaranteed money in 2019. And in 2020, $3.02 million of his $5.5 million salary is guaranteed.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]