All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:06 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'm not sure if this is true, but it is from a "well-placed source" and from the reputable Boston Globe. I'm surprised to see him stick his nose in the draft. He usually lets his guys have free reign and has always spent freely.

Boston Globe wrote:
A well-placed league source tells us that the Dolphins had the pick of Alabama safety Minkah Fitzpatrick all ready to go at No. 11 when owner Stephen Ross stepped in and implored his team to trade back, both to acquire more picks and to save money on the first-rounder. Ross’s football people talked him out of it, and the Dolphins went ahead with the Fitzpatrick pick

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patr ... eadArticle

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:03 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Supposedely, the Dolphins were offered the deal New Orleans gave Green Bay, which involved a future 1st round pick. The Dolphins have stated they did not believe Minkah Fitzpatrick would be available at 11. He was so they took him and didn't move down.

They were also offered to move up to 1-8, and when the Cards called the Raiders to move up to 1-10, the Raiders called Miami to see if we wanted to move up, trying to get more for the pick.

It's hard for me to believe that Ross wasn't in on everything and would question what we were doing.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:19 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

I have not been shy about saying I don't like Ross as an owner. Imo if the Phins are successful it will be in spite of him. One thing though he has been open with his wallet. The part that does not make sense to me is his being worried about a draft choice salary. With the current collective bargaining agreement rookies relatively speaking don't make that much.

Last edited by AQNOR on Mon May 07, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:23 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

The Boston Globe is not reputable and Ben Volin has become quite a poop stirrer since coming up here to MA from FL.

The Globe is in a lot of hot water for stuff their columnists have put out lately and some serious harassment situations. One columnist in particular faked a story about the Boston Marathon bombing and the Globe is trying like heck to bury it.

I call bogus on this Ross interference story.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:24 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Wasn't a shot at you Dave, just pointing out what I know from living up here. The Globe is just a name at this point, not a reputable paper. The owner of the Red Sox bought it and has his wife running it. They just push whatever propaganda they want and go after anyone who dare criticizes them or the team. Its a joke.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:25 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

apatos13 wrote:
They were also offered to move up to 1-8, and when the Cards called the Raiders to move up to 1-10, the Raiders called Miami to see if we wanted to move up, trying to get more for the pick.

I believe that rumor. The Cardinals moved up on the cheap.

apatos13 wrote:
It's hard for me to believe that Ross wasn't in on everything and would question what we were doing.

Yep, he's always given his input and wants to be informed on the moves.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:28 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Wasn't a shot at you Dave, just pointing out what I know from living up here. The Globe is just a name at this point, not a reputable paper. The owner of the Red Sox bought it and has his wife running it. They just push whatever propaganda they want and go after anyone who dare criticizes them or the team. Its a joke.

I didn't take it as that, Dan. You are fine. I heard that Brent Grimes bought the Sun Sentinel and his wife is running it and goes by the name of Omar.

:haha

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:38 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

It is hard for me to ever get mad at Ross whenever he wants to build those party rooms at the stadium, because he is a generous owner who has been ripped off by every GM in the past. Ross wanted a bigger upgrade to the roster by trading down and getting more picks. I can understand this, but sometimes quality is better than quantity. This draft was not one of the better ones as far as loaded talent, so, grabbing playmakers in the first two rounds was just fine with me. I will say that it was one of the quieter ones as Tannenbaum let us stay pat with each pick even though he did work the phones. it seems to be a change in his strategy and maybe that is a good thing.

Armando Salguero wrote:
That's only half right. Ross did indeed speak up.

He wanted his people to think more strategically. He wanted them to consider multiplying the team's pick by trading down for extra picks. He wanted the Dolphins to consider more outside the box strategies and possibilities before merely turning in the Fitzpatrick selection.

"Correct," Ross said in an email Tuesday morning. "Saving money will never be an issue when it comes to winning."

The money dynamic was not part of Ross's thinking. The billionaire real estate developer has done everything throughout his previous nine seasons as owner to give the team's leadership all the resources it requires to try to win.

But the execution of that attempt has sometimes underwhelmed Ross. That was initially the case when executive vice president Mike Tannenbaum, general manager Chris Grier and coach Adam Gase wanted to pick Fitzpatrick at No. 11.

And that was something of a theme for Ross on the draft's second night, when the Dolphins selected Penn State tight end Mike Gesicki in the second round and Ohio State linebacker Jerome Baker in the third round., both picks coming without the team moving or trading for extra picks and neither selection a quarterback.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:40 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Its all about language and details. The money detail was of course wrong. Using the word "implored" adds an unnecessary dramatic effect to the story. Suggestions or questions are not the equivalent.

As I said before, Globe writers get creative with the facts and love to stir poop.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:04 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Seems they were thinking outside the box. The Phins have traded back before to get picks . If that qualifies for outside the box thinking then Ross must not follow his team or the draft. This current brain trust went outside the box in that there were no trades and they did not take a qb when most everyone thought they should.

I wonder if Ross will push them too take that Michigan qb who may be coming out next year.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:39 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I call BS with jammer. He is completely out of place in that conversation. They are talking about investing in football players, not real estate.

Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Tue May 08, 2018 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:40 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
The Globe is just a name at this point, not a reputable paper. The owner of the Red Sox bought it and has his wife running it.

Now it makes sense. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:10 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This team seems to always have some kind of drama .... and it's not the good drama if there is such a thing.

Hal Habib wrote:
The part about saving money? Much tougher to buy. Yes, the Dolphins parted with several big names this offseason, but I look at that more as cap management than reluctance on Ross’ part to sign a check. He has maintained, for good reason, that he would never let pure dollars stand in the way of improving the roster. That’s consistent with the choice of Fitzpatrick.

Example: According to the handy-dandy chart NFL people use to put a value on picks, the No. 11 overall slot used for Fitzpatrick is worth 1,250 points. If the Dolphins had traded down to save a buck, a potential partner might have been Green Bay, which could have sent Miami the Nos. 18 and 45 choices (worth 1,350 points). Whether it would have saved money is debatable.

Fitzpatrick is slotted to receive a $16.6 million package, including an $11 million signing bonus. The two picks from the Packers would have cost $18.4 million over the full four years and $9.6 million up front.

Years from now, this will be wildly amusing if Fitzpatrick turns out to be the next Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed. It’ll be a tale the guys tweeting on Freezing Cold Takes will be glad they stashed in their own filing system.

But if not — if a Dolphins owner already casting a skeptical eye isn’t among the happily converted — you won’t want to be one of the guys who twisted his arm in that draft room.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost. ... -hot-seat/

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:40 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
This team seems to always have some kind of drama .... and it's not the good drama if there is such a thing.

Hal Habib wrote:
The part about saving money? Much tougher to buy. Yes, the Dolphins parted with several big names this offseason, but I look at that more as cap management than reluctance on Ross’ part to sign a check. He has maintained, for good reason, that he would never let pure dollars stand in the way of improving the roster. That’s consistent with the choice of Fitzpatrick.

Example: According to the handy-dandy chart NFL people use to put a value on picks, the No. 11 overall slot used for Fitzpatrick is worth 1,250 points. If the Dolphins had traded down to save a buck, a potential partner might have been Green Bay, which could have sent Miami the Nos. 18 and 45 choices (worth 1,350 points). Whether it would have saved money is debatable.

Fitzpatrick is slotted to receive a $16.6 million package, including an $11 million signing bonus. The two picks from the Packers would have cost $18.4 million over the full four years and $9.6 million up front.

Years from now, this will be wildly amusing if Fitzpatrick turns out to be the next Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed. It’ll be a tale the guys tweeting on Freezing Cold Takes will be glad they stashed in their own filing system.

But if not — if a Dolphins owner already casting a skeptical eye isn’t among the happily converted — you won’t want to be one of the guys who twisted his arm in that draft room.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost. ... -hot-seat/

So Hal Habib acknowledges that the person who wrote the article in question got a part of it wrong, the money, but wants to take other questionable parts of article such as the imploring part as being true.

On a different note probably being unfair and certainly uncharitable if boss Ross has his own genuine idea about the football side of operations the team should give strong consideration to doing something different. (Besides spending money) So kudos to us. : )

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:57 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Hal Habib wrote:
The part about saving money? Much tougher to buy. Yes, the Dolphins parted with several big names this offseason, but I look at that more as cap management than reluctance on Ross’ part to sign a check.

I didn’t even think that was worth mentioning. Those big names leaving the team were undoubtedly cap moves.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:19 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Does anyone know who leaked the information? It could only be someone in the war room party.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:54 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

jammer wrote:
Its all about language and details. The money detail was of course wrong. Using the word "implored" adds an unnecessary dramatic effect to the story. Suggestions or questions are not the equivalent.

Nevertheless, I'm just wondering how much longer is this owner going to put up with the comedy team he has in the front office. They are driving his team nowhere, remaining in the wastelands of the NFL's .500 teams. He should have been decisive and instructed them to trade down, not asked, not implored, not suggested, not anything, ordered them and if they didn't he himself would get on the phone make the deal and then fire the two clowns on the spot.

Maybe Jackson would not have been there, maybe he would have been. Maybe Jackson was not Ross' target maybe he was. Regardless, this owner realizes his money is just going down the drain year after year with no results to show for it now nor in the distant future. And this mundane defensive back taken first will not change things one iota. He may be good but in this team his value will be lost among the rest of the trash. And I agree, this has nothing do with Ross' willingness to spend, we know Ross has no problem spending it but please, there has to be some energy, some direction, something that changes the same strategy, over and over, draft after draft, that has not worked.

It's worse for me now knowing the owner became involved, and yet the results were the same. He was my last hope.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... story.html

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]