All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 15028
Location: Raleigh, NC
I'm not sure if this is true, but it is from a "well-placed source" and from the reputable Boston Globe. I'm surprised to see him stick his nose in the draft. He usually lets his guys have free reign and has always spent freely.

Boston Globe wrote:
A well-placed league source tells us that the Dolphins had the pick of Alabama safety Minkah Fitzpatrick all ready to go at No. 11 when owner Stephen Ross stepped in and implored his team to trade back, both to acquire more picks and to save money on the first-rounder. Ross’s football people talked him out of it, and the Dolphins went ahead with the Fitzpatrick pick


https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patr ... eadArticle

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:03 am 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:55 pm
Posts: 1082
Supposedely, the Dolphins were offered the deal New Orleans gave Green Bay, which involved a future 1st round pick. The Dolphins have stated they did not believe Minkah Fitzpatrick would be available at 11. He was so they took him and didn't move down.

They were also offered to move up to 1-8, and when the Cards called the Raiders to move up to 1-10, the Raiders called Miami to see if we wanted to move up, trying to get more for the pick.

It's hard for me to believe that Ross wasn't in on everything and would question what we were doing.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6204
I have not been shy about saying I don't like Ross as an owner. Imo if the Phins are successful it will be in spite of him. One thing though he has been open with his wallet. The part that does not make sense to me is his being worried about a draft choice salary. With the current collective bargaining agreement rookies relatively speaking don't make that much.


Last edited by AQNOR on Mon May 07, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:23 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10192
Location: MA
The Boston Globe is not reputable and Ben Volin has become quite a poop stirrer since coming up here to MA from FL.

The Globe is in a lot of hot water for stuff their columnists have put out lately and some serious harassment situations. One columnist in particular faked a story about the Boston Marathon bombing and the Globe is trying like heck to bury it.

I call bogus on this Ross interference story.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:24 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10192
Location: MA
Wasn't a shot at you Dave, just pointing out what I know from living up here. The Globe is just a name at this point, not a reputable paper. The owner of the Red Sox bought it and has his wife running it. They just push whatever propaganda they want and go after anyone who dare criticizes them or the team. Its a joke.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 15028
Location: Raleigh, NC
apatos13 wrote:
They were also offered to move up to 1-8, and when the Cards called the Raiders to move up to 1-10, the Raiders called Miami to see if we wanted to move up, trying to get more for the pick.


I believe that rumor. The Cardinals moved up on the cheap.


apatos13 wrote:
It's hard for me to believe that Ross wasn't in on everything and would question what we were doing.


Yep, he's always given his input and wants to be informed on the moves.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 15028
Location: Raleigh, NC
jammer wrote:
Wasn't a shot at you Dave, just pointing out what I know from living up here. The Globe is just a name at this point, not a reputable paper. The owner of the Red Sox bought it and has his wife running it. They just push whatever propaganda they want and go after anyone who dare criticizes them or the team. Its a joke.


I didn't take it as that, Dan. You are fine. I heard that Brent Grimes bought the Sun Sentinel and his wife is running it and goes by the name of Omar.

:haha

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:38 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 15028
Location: Raleigh, NC
It is hard for me to ever get mad at Ross whenever he wants to build those party rooms at the stadium, because he is a generous owner who has been ripped off by every GM in the past. Ross wanted a bigger upgrade to the roster by trading down and getting more picks. I can understand this, but sometimes quality is better than quantity. This draft was not one of the better ones as far as loaded talent, so, grabbing playmakers in the first two rounds was just fine with me. I will say that it was one of the quieter ones as Tannenbaum let us stay pat with each pick even though he did work the phones. it seems to be a change in his strategy and maybe that is a good thing.

Armando Salguero wrote:
That's only half right. Ross did indeed speak up.

He wanted his people to think more strategically. He wanted them to consider multiplying the team's pick by trading down for extra picks. He wanted the Dolphins to consider more outside the box strategies and possibilities before merely turning in the Fitzpatrick selection.

"Correct," Ross said in an email Tuesday morning. "Saving money will never be an issue when it comes to winning."

The money dynamic was not part of Ross's thinking. The billionaire real estate developer has done everything throughout his previous nine seasons as owner to give the team's leadership all the resources it requires to try to win.

But the execution of that attempt has sometimes underwhelmed Ross. That was initially the case when executive vice president Mike Tannenbaum, general manager Chris Grier and coach Adam Gase wanted to pick Fitzpatrick at No. 11.

And that was something of a theme for Ross on the draft's second night, when the Dolphins selected Penn State tight end Mike Gesicki in the second round and Ohio State linebacker Jerome Baker in the third round., both picks coming without the team moving or trading for extra picks and neither selection a quarterback.


Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:40 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10192
Location: MA
Its all about language and details. The money detail was of course wrong. Using the word "implored" adds an unnecessary dramatic effect to the story. Suggestions or questions are not the equivalent.

As I said before, Globe writers get creative with the facts and love to stir poop.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:04 am 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6204
Seems they were thinking outside the box. The Phins have traded back before to get picks . If that qualifies for outside the box thinking then Ross must not follow his team or the draft. This current brain trust went outside the box in that there were no trades and they did not take a qb when most everyone thought they should.

I wonder if Ross will push them too take that Michigan qb who may be coming out next year.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4693
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
I call BS with jammer. He is completely out of place in that conversation. They are talking about investing in football players, not real estate.

Image

_________________
Image


Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Tue May 08, 2018 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4693
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
jammer wrote:
The Globe is just a name at this point, not a reputable paper. The owner of the Red Sox bought it and has his wife running it.


Now it makes sense. :)

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 15028
Location: Raleigh, NC
This team seems to always have some kind of drama .... and it's not the good drama if there is such a thing.

Hal Habib wrote:
The part about saving money? Much tougher to buy. Yes, the Dolphins parted with several big names this offseason, but I look at that more as cap management than reluctance on Ross’ part to sign a check. He has maintained, for good reason, that he would never let pure dollars stand in the way of improving the roster. That’s consistent with the choice of Fitzpatrick.

Example: According to the handy-dandy chart NFL people use to put a value on picks, the No. 11 overall slot used for Fitzpatrick is worth 1,250 points. If the Dolphins had traded down to save a buck, a potential partner might have been Green Bay, which could have sent Miami the Nos. 18 and 45 choices (worth 1,350 points). Whether it would have saved money is debatable.

Fitzpatrick is slotted to receive a $16.6 million package, including an $11 million signing bonus. The two picks from the Packers would have cost $18.4 million over the full four years and $9.6 million up front.

Years from now, this will be wildly amusing if Fitzpatrick turns out to be the next Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed. It’ll be a tale the guys tweeting on Freezing Cold Takes will be glad they stashed in their own filing system.

But if not — if a Dolphins owner already casting a skeptical eye isn’t among the happily converted — you won’t want to be one of the guys who twisted his arm in that draft room.


http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost. ... -hot-seat/

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6204
Big Dave wrote:
This team seems to always have some kind of drama .... and it's not the good drama if there is such a thing.

Hal Habib wrote:
The part about saving money? Much tougher to buy. Yes, the Dolphins parted with several big names this offseason, but I look at that more as cap management than reluctance on Ross’ part to sign a check. He has maintained, for good reason, that he would never let pure dollars stand in the way of improving the roster. That’s consistent with the choice of Fitzpatrick.

Example: According to the handy-dandy chart NFL people use to put a value on picks, the No. 11 overall slot used for Fitzpatrick is worth 1,250 points. If the Dolphins had traded down to save a buck, a potential partner might have been Green Bay, which could have sent Miami the Nos. 18 and 45 choices (worth 1,350 points). Whether it would have saved money is debatable.

Fitzpatrick is slotted to receive a $16.6 million package, including an $11 million signing bonus. The two picks from the Packers would have cost $18.4 million over the full four years and $9.6 million up front.

Years from now, this will be wildly amusing if Fitzpatrick turns out to be the next Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed. It’ll be a tale the guys tweeting on Freezing Cold Takes will be glad they stashed in their own filing system.

But if not — if a Dolphins owner already casting a skeptical eye isn’t among the happily converted — you won’t want to be one of the guys who twisted his arm in that draft room.


http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost. ... -hot-seat/


So Hal Habib acknowledges that the person who wrote the article in question got a part of it wrong, the money, but wants to take other questionable parts of article such as the imploring part as being true.

On a different note probably being unfair and certainly uncharitable if boss Ross has his own genuine idea about the football side of operations the team should give strong consideration to doing something different. (Besides spending money) So kudos to us. : )


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4693
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Hal Habib wrote:
The part about saving money? Much tougher to buy. Yes, the Dolphins parted with several big names this offseason, but I look at that more as cap management than reluctance on Ross’ part to sign a check.


I didn’t even think that was worth mentioning. Those big names leaving the team were undoubtedly cap moves.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 15028
Location: Raleigh, NC
Does anyone know who leaked the information? It could only be someone in the war room party.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:54 am 
Offline
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 8:23 am
Posts: 308
jammer wrote:
Its all about language and details. The money detail was of course wrong. Using the word "implored" adds an unnecessary dramatic effect to the story. Suggestions or questions are not the equivalent.


Nevertheless, I'm just wondering how much longer is this owner going to put up with the comedy team he has in the front office. They are driving his team nowhere, remaining in the wastelands of the NFL's .500 teams. He should have been decisive and instructed them to trade down, not asked, not implored, not suggested, not anything, ordered them and if they didn't he himself would get on the phone make the deal and then fire the two clowns on the spot.

Maybe Jackson would not have been there, maybe he would have been. Maybe Jackson was not Ross' target maybe he was. Regardless, this owner realizes his money is just going down the drain year after year with no results to show for it now nor in the distant future. And this mundane defensive back taken first will not change things one iota. He may be good but in this team his value will be lost among the rest of the trash. And I agree, this has nothing do with Ross' willingness to spend, we know Ross has no problem spending it but please, there has to be some energy, some direction, something that changes the same strategy, over and over, draft after draft, that has not worked.

It's worse for me now knowing the owner became involved, and yet the results were the same. He was my last hope.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... story.html


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r