Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:35 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
The Miami Dolphins have claimed former New York Jets quarterback Bryce Petty off waivers, the team announced Friday.
Petty was let go Thursday by the Jets, who tried to trade him during the draft but found no takers.
A fourth-round choice in 2015, Petty posted a 1-6 record as a starter over the past two seasons. All told, he threw 10 interceptions and four touchdowns and completed just 53 percent of his attempts. His progress also was slowed by injuries, including a torn labrum in his nonthrowing shoulder in the 2016 finale.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2340 ... ty-waivers

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:26 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Jammer got his wish. I still think he sucks.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:43 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Its all good rumor has it there a QB whisperer on the coaching staff. : )

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:46 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

k-dash wrote:
Jammer got his wish. I still think he sucks.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Haha, I wouldn't say its my wish. He has a better skillset than the other two and could be groomed to be a decent backup. If he is starting games Miami is in trouble.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:53 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

4 tds 10 ints

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:41 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Here is what the NFL.COM scouts saw in Petty entering the 2015 draft. Personally, I was shocked that we grabbed him off of waivers, but he's cheap (if he makes the team) with an un-guaranteed $703K salary for the upcoming season.

NFL.COM wrote:
Analysis

Strengths
Possesses NFL size. Not a burner, but has enough functional movement outside of the pocket. Scouts label him ultra-competitive, tough and smart. Strong leader. Engineered 21-point fourth-quarter comeback win over TCU in 2014. Played through a back injury for most of his senior season. Doesn't have a cannon, but arm strength is NFL-starter quality. Deep-ball accuracy improved from 2013 to 2014. Understands when to throw the fastball and when to use touch. Gets feet set with good balance on delivery. Keeps ball at proper height on set-up and has quick release. Rarely underthrows deep passes, preferring to give only his wide receiver a chance to catch the ball. Can elude pressure and buy himself time to make a play.

Weaknesses
Scouts concerned he could be product of Baylor's one-read system. Has tendency to spray the ball against zone coverage on intermediate routes. Can extend plays but won't make many plays downfield once he extends. Mistakes happen when forced to come off of first read. Struggles when defenders are near his feet. Yards per attempt declined in 2014 and screens were a much higher percentage of his passes. Struggles to pull himself from the doldrums when having a poor game. Nose of the ball dives when he doesn't drive throws with his lower body. Must learn to read defenses and get through his progressions when he joins the NFL.

Draft Projection
Round 4

Sources Tell Us
"My grade is a projection based on what I think he can do rather than what he did this year. I think his back was a bigger problem for him than people realize." -- AFC North area scout

"Offenses that ask quarterbacks to look to the sidelines so coaches can make the pre-snap reads will never crank out NFL ready quarterbacks. Those quarterbacks all need redshirt years in the league." -- AFC West area scout

"After watching the tape, talking to both guys and seeing them work out, I have Petty ahead as my third quarterback." -- AFC quarterbacks coach

NFL Comparison
Austin Davis

Bottom Line
NFL evaluators felt like Petty's senior season was disappointing, but those same evaluators love his size, leadership and intangibles. He needs a year or two of practice time and camp work to learn how to get through his progressions, but has the intelligence to do that. Petty flashed plenty of arm strength at the NFL Scouting Combine and as the draft draws closer, teams might very well begin to conceptualize Petty fitting into their offense as a potential starter of the future.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:29 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Remind me again what draft number tom brady was?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:32 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

silentfaith wrote:
Remind me again what draft number tom brady was?

Are you serious?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:16 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Shirley you cant be serious?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:22 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Brady is an anomaly and mostly a product of a system. This qb petty or whoever he is sucks

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:59 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

SORRRRRRRRRY, but wasn't brady picked in the 4th round?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:16 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

6th, I think.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:28 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

6th rounder, backup QB at Michigan .... took over I think played half the games

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:37 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

An update on Petty.

Barry Jackson wrote:
And what about Petty? He, too, has been inconsistent with accuracy, though he had several good throws this week, including a TD pass to Drew Morgan in red zone drills.

“Bryce is a guy that is extremely talented,” Loggains said. “We’ve got to coach him hard and get that stuff out of him. He’s got some things in his footwork and those things. We’re working really hard to get consistent and create more accuracy for him.

“It’s something we talked to him about is there’s not enough time in the offseason anymore. It used to be in January we start working with these guys and February, and they just grind quarterbacks. It’s hard now. Every Monday when he’s off and every Friday when he’s off and on the weekends, he needs to keep working on his drops and the consistency in his footwork, because if he gets that part of it all right, he has enough talent in his upper body to play.”

Petty was cut earlier this month by the Jets, who drafted him in the fourth round in 2015. He has four touchdowns, 10 interceptions and a dismal 57.7 career passer rating.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:04 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He......SUUUUUUCKS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:05 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

BUT he was drafted before Brady so you never know!!! Lol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:33 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

If Gase truly is a QB Whisperer then Petty is a good project for him. Like most young QBs he has all the tools but doesn't appear to process things quickly.

He had some pretty good hype coming of out of Baylor.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]