All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:17 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

... because we did not draft one of the top four quarterbacks.

:boo:

Mel Kiper wrote:
Miami Dolphins: C+

Top needs: Offensive line, linebacker, running back

This has been an interesting offseason of change for the Dolphins, who have parted ways with several important players, including Ndamukong Suh, Mike Pouncey, Jarvis Landry, Jay Cutler and Julius Thomas. Yes, they've added Robert Quinn, Josh Sitton, Danny Amendola, Frank Gore and Albert Wilson, but there are still some sizable holes on the roster. I hear "culture" blamed, but at some point you have to be accountable for what's on the field. I put the entire offensive line on my list of questions because no spot outside left tackle Laremy Tunsil should be set, and they needed depth at several other positions.

Snagging Minkah Fitzpatrick at No. 11 is a great value. I thought he was a top-five player in this class, but teams got a little scared because he doesn't have a true position. He's a little bit of a tweener who doesn't have true safety measurables. The Dolphins just need to get him on the field. This is one of Nick Saban's favorite players ever. Mike Gesicki (pick 42) is going to slot straight into Thomas' spot, but he's not going to block anybody. He's a slot receiver with a big -- and super athletic -- frame, and he has good body control.

Jerome Baker (73) is a true cover linebacker with range who will be a core special-teamer and help out on third downs. As McShay pointed out, the defense has been shredded by tight ends, and Fitzpatrick and Baker help. Durham Smythe (123) is a better blocker than receiver. Kalen Ballage (131) is the guy to watch in this class. Surely Adam Gase doesn't expect to play Gore on every down, and Ballage caught 82 passes in his career.

The one big question coming out of this draft: Where was the quarterback? Miami is really going to go into the 2018 season with Ryan Tannehill and Brock Osweiler as its top two QBs. I can't give a "B" here.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/insid ... picks-2018

Gregg Rosenthal wrote:
LOSERS:

Miami Dolphins: While safety Minkah Fitzpatrick will likely turn out to be a fine pick at No. 11 overall, Dolphins fans who saw Rosen sitting on the board until No. 10 have to be let down. Given that it feels like this team is stuck in quicksand, an indefinite future with Ryan Tannehill as the quarterback is hard to get excited about.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... om-round-1

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:31 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

In other words, the media is pissed they got duped by our smoke screen. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:05 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

apatos13 wrote:
In other words, the media is pissed they got duped by our smoke screen. :)

This. :yay:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:47 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

If QB was such a position of need then why was it not in their top three listing of team needs.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:01 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I wish everyone would stop picking on 17.

Ballage looks like a good pick...If he can morph on to a young Frank Gore..

Not depending on much from Amendola...He is an injury waiting to happen.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:13 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Top QBs for 2019 have comps to this year's group:

Justin Herbert = Sam Darnold (though no signature big games like Darnold)

Clayton Thorson = Josh Rosen (less hype but great mechanics and actual leadership traits)

Jarret Stidham/Nick Fitzgerald = Lamar Jackson (good tools, more athlete than pure QB)

Drew Lock = Josh Allen (great size and tools, lower accuracy numbers)

Shea Patterson = Baker Mayfield (pure playmaker, average arm)

Ryan Finley = Mason Rudolph (decent arm, good accuracy to all levels, something still missing)

So much will change but these are guys to keep an eye on. As you may remember I'm a big Clayton Thorson fan after I started watching his games. He plays for Northwestern and doesn't have a ton of hype, but he's in the conversation. I really wish he entered the 2018 draft.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:37 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Top QBs for 2019 have comps to this year's group:

Justin Herbert = Sam Darnold (though no signature big games like Darnold)

Clayton Thorson = Josh Rosen (less hype but great mechanics and actual leadership traits)

Jarret Stidham/Nick Fitzgerald = Lamar Jackson (good tools, more athlete than pure QB)

Drew Lock = Josh Allen (great size and tools, lower accuracy numbers)

Shea Patterson = Baker Mayfield (pure playmaker, average arm)

Ryan Finley = Mason Rudolph (decent arm, good accuracy to all levels, something still missing)

So much will change but these are guys to keep an eye on. As you may remember I'm a big Clayton Thorson fan after I started watching his games. He plays for Northwestern and doesn't have a ton of hype, but he's in the conversation. I really wish he entered the 2018 draft.

Hopefully we'll be picking in the late 20's and thinking DL: Ed Oliver and Nick Bosa, with Rashan Gary, Dexter Lawrence, Clelin Ferrell, Christian Wilkins, Raekwon Davis, Zach Allen, Austin Bryant, etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:39 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
... because we did not draft one of the top four quarterbacks.

:boo:

So the guys who are paid to predict gave bad grades on the teams that did not pick the players they had mocked?
I am shocked
:OMG

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]