PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:04 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Good read.

Secret life of NFL scouts: How '18 Miami Dolphins' draft class came together

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:53 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

One of the better "How's the sausage made" articles I've read in a while.

I didn't know Chris was Mike Grier's brother. I saw Mike check a Maine forward completely off the ice and into the BU bench once in Orono. He was a beast.

Great find Dave. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:31 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Overall, while interesting on some level but frankly, in the end, just a worthy recognition of people that do the actual leg work, It was disappointing in respects to an evaluation of prior year's drafts, ie., how / why did all this work, travel, sacrifice, minutia result in years of disappointing Dolphin drafts? I mean, any one of the last dozen drafts could have been a case study of how franchises fail. Telling me about the 2018 draft today before the first snap means nothing as every front office thinks they got exactly everyone they wanted and their personnel departments all PhD geniuses.

What would have been more revealing and insightful for us fans mired in this team's irrelevancy is describing one or more examples of why the Dolphins front office made a selection that turned out to be a flop when perhaps these expert scouts had rated/recommended someone else. We certainly have plenty of examples. Sure, the Fins FO didn't jump on board with this project to be embarrassed or to look stupid, but hey, if the shoe fits, wear it!

So, for me, this was a lot like the HBO Hard Knocks training camp series. Nothing there.

Here's Omar Kelly's reaction:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... story.html

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:56 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:
Overall, while interesting on some level but frankly, in the end, just a worthy recognition of people that do the actual leg work, It was disappointing in respects to an evaluation of prior year's drafts, ie., how / why did all this work, travel, sacrifice, minutia result in years of disappointing Dolphin drafts? I mean, any one of the last dozen drafts could have been a case study of how franchises fail. Telling me about the 2018 draft today before the first snap means nothing as every front office thinks they got exactly everyone they wanted and their personnel departments all PhD geniuses.

What would have been more revealing and insightful for us fans mired in this team's irrelevancy is describing one or more examples of why the Dolphins front office made a selection that turned out to be a flop when perhaps these expert scouts had rated/recommended someone else. We certainly have plenty of examples. Sure, the Fins FO didn't jump on board with this project to be embarrassed or to look stupid, but hey, if the shoe fits, wear it!

So, for me, this was a lot like the HBO Hard Knocks training camp series. Nothing there.

I agree with you. My expectations for insider information left me disappointed at the end. I kept reading and reading waiting for the good part.

Last edited by AQNOR on Thu May 03, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:13 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

AQNOR wrote:
carreramia wrote:

I agree with you. I kept reading and reading waiting for the good part. While we'll written I was expecting more inside information. It was my expectations that made it less enjoyable at the end.

I agree with you. My expectations for insider information left me disappointed at the end. I kept reading and reading waiting for the good part.

I'd agree. That was a waste of 5 minutes of my time.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]