All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:46 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Nice talking with you all during the draft. Below I have 5 (4 paid) subscription analysis on Fitzpatrick.

ANALYSIS

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:59 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Simon Clancy
@SiClancy
Minkah allows Miami to play base 43, nickel and big nickel and use the same personnel. That’s huge for disguising coverages, something Miami have been terrible at doing. Hard to underestimate the importance of that.

9:44 PM - Apr 26, 2018 · Hartlepool, England

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:14 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Maybe Miami will cover a TE now

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:25 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Nice pick....

Too bad our offensive line still sucks and the run on linebackers hit later in the first round....so many holes to fill on this roster.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:37 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero
#Dolphins GM Chris Grier at the podium here in Davie. Says Minkah Fitzpatrick is "one of Nick Saban's favorite players." Says he'll play safety. Saban and Adam Gase tight of course.

9:27 PM - Apr 26, 2018

Quote:
Matt Miller

@nfldraftscout
Minkah is a good enough athlete to play any safety spot. He could definitely play FS, but he's probably most comfortable in the slot/box https://twitter.com/knee_pa/status/968976491718631424

6:30 PM - Feb 28, 2018

Quote:
J.R.
@JReidDraftScout
#DraftNotes: Alabama players frequently refer to Minkah Fitzpatrick as "Coach Saban's son". He's the only player that's ever made Saban smile. Fitzpatrick also is the only player Saban has ever allowed in coaches meetings to watch film on Sundays or the day after games.

9:52 AM - Mar 27, 2018

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:39 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I wish Satan, er Saban, was still our coach.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:20 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

apatos13 wrote:
Quote:
Simon Clancy
@SiClancy
Minkah allows Miami to play base 43, nickel and big nickel and use the same personnel. That’s huge for disguising coverages, something Miami have been terrible at doing. Hard to underestimate the importance of that.

9:44 PM - Apr 26, 2018 · Hartlepool, England

My biggest concern with this pick is it is a player that can play, and will need to find a way to get him on the field...

History of this team is guys like this squander behind poor coaching and schemes...
I really hope Burke & his defensive staff had intentions of playing these schemes and needed personnel to do it...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:23 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Best case scenario pick for Miami outside of Mayfield and Darnold. On par with Roquan Smith in terms of the value he provides to the team immediately and in the long term.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:48 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

ESPN's Pros and Cons. I was actually happy the Cardinals leaped over us to get Rosen; otherwise, we would have had to draft him. I really liked Rosen, and the Cardinals didn't have to give up a lot to make that trade, but the concussion issues were a real worry ... especially with our track record in protecting quarterbacks.

Quote:
11. Miami Dolphins

Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama

Why they did it: The Dolphins desperately needed help in pass defense, especially against tight ends. No team allowed more receptions by tight ends than the Dolphins did last season (94), and Fitzpatrick can only help in the effort toward improving that stat.

Biggest question: The Dolphins allowed themselves to be passed over for UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen, who went one spot ahead to the Arizona Cardinals. How will that decision look in a couple of years if Ryan Tannehill can't re-establish himself as the Dolphins' starter? -- Kevin Seifert

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post ... draft-pick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:50 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I was hoping somehow we'd get Smith but I'm very happy with this pick. Even with all the talk about creatively using McDonald and Anthony at OLB, I'm still unsettled with our LB corps. Hopefully somebody good falls to us in the 2nd or 3rd.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:51 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phinished wrote:
I wish Satan, er Saban, was still our coach.

The way he left the Dolphins makes him a jerk in my book, but I loved him as our head coach. I think he would have found a way to win in the NFL, but he was losing the worship level that he enjoyed at the college level. He couldn't relate to the veterans, but you don't have to worry about that if you replace them with young players as Jimmy Johnson did at Dallas.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:58 am 
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

I don't know many people who has watched more Alabama football than me, and if you have read anything I've posted about Alabama players coming to our beloved Fins, I sually shy away from it. Why? Saban uses them boys up.

That being said, Minkah is a baller. Hands down one of the better players to come through under the Saban era of football down here. Simply put he's a stud and he can play an assortment of roles for this team.

I was in the boat of "If Baker were to fall, I hope we take him, but if that don't happen then I hope Smith falls to us, if that don't happen, let's take Minkah if he falls." And that's what happened. So I'm happy to see him in a Fins uniform.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:16 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

k-dash wrote:
I was hoping somehow we'd get Smith but I'm very happy with this pick. Even with all the talk about creatively using McDonald and Anthony at OLB, I'm still unsettled with our LB corps. Hopefully somebody good falls to us in the 2nd or 3rd.

I was beyond thrilled with this pick. He's the qb for our defense. Could be the next Earl Thomas, just more versatile.

If we got Lorenzo Carter in the 2nd, I'd be a very happy Dolphins fan. I hope he's on their radar.
Shaquem Griffin is another guy I hope Miami has looked at.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:35 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

If you're thinking LB keep in mind Miami did a lot of home work on Fred Warner from BYU. 2nd Round projection.

Another guy who seemed to pop up late on their radar is Genard Avery from Memphis.

I still think they are going to wait on LB while focusing on offense tonight. Really hope they come away with a TE and QB.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:30 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Fast, good hands, solid open field tackler, good technique in cover technique (plays the trail technique very well). Miami just drafted a day 1 starter on defense that will improve their defense. You have to like that. I think watching the film I was thrilled to see that he has great instincts. Some players have all the measurable but have terrible on field instincts. This guy has a nose for the football and gets there quick.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:32 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
If you're thinking LB keep in mind Miami did a lot of home work on Fred Warner from BYU. 2nd Round projection.

Another guy who seemed to pop up late on their radar is Genard Avery from Memphis.

I still think they are going to wait on LB while focusing on offense tonight. Really hope they come away with a TE and QB.

Miami also has McMillan coming back from injury and he was projected to be a day 1 starter prior to getting hurt.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:35 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

NFLJunkie wrote:
jammer wrote:

Miami also has McMillan coming back from injury and he was projected to be a day 1 starter prior to getting hurt.

Absolutely. If TJ McDonald can be depended on to be a hybrid then the rotation isn't all that bad. You can create some crazy packages with him, Jones and Fitzpatrick all on the field at once.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:08 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Great job at predicting this pick Jammer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:31 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Nick Delucca - LB from NDSU would be worth a look in the later rounds. The guy was a monster on the best FCS school in the country for 5 years. The only year in the last 7 when NDSU didn't win the National Championship was the one year he was injured and did not play. They lost to the eventual champion in the semis.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/nick-deluca?id=32462018-0002-5598-947f-72d41051ad28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7QPwSxV6I

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:32 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Been listening to 4 sports channels on satelite radio all day and not even a mention of this pick.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:12 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

If its not a QB, trade, multiple picks, Patriots, or John Elway, its probably not getting any love.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:45 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

While I would argue that Fitz was the BPA, when you go through all of our picks we drafted for need this year. Fitzpatrick was a huge need.

Rob Rang wrote:
No team filled a bigger hole with better value than the Dolphins with the selection of Alabama star Minkah Fitzpatrick, the most versatile and dependable defensive back in this draft.

Grade: B+

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:15 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Check this out. It's only OTAs, but I think we got a steal at pick 11. The kid has a great athlete, has very good instincts, and studies film like a coach. I haven't been this excited about a first round draft pick since Tunsil.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:58 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
Check this out. It's only OTAs, but I think we got a steal at pick 11. The kid has a great athlete, has very good instincts, and studies film like a coach. I haven't been this excited about a first round draft pick since Tunsil.

Does this count as biting as a pup?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:36 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This is how you make an impact as a rookie ... keep your coaches at work when everyone else has gone home.

Barry Jackson wrote:
Safety Minkah Fitzpatrick. “He’s probably about as advertised,” Burke said. “He’s really sharp. He’s thirsty for knowledge and for more, and we’re trying to overload him a little bit. We keep giving him more and he keeps taking it. He spends a lot of extra time in the building on his own, working out and studying film."

So much so that Burke noticed Fitzpatrick spent 90 minutes with defensive backs coach Tony Oden on Tuesday night – until 9:30 p.m. – to get ahead on the playbook. That’s dedication.

“We are moving him around to some different spots and trying to play him in some different places to get a feel for sort of what his best fit is or what the best way to utilize him is, and he’s responded well,” Burke said. “He’s been around the ball. He’s got his hands on a few and been close on a couple of others. I’m excited to keep working with him, for sure.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:05 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

More positive affirmations from NFL talent evaluators when discussing Minkah Fitzpatrick. I just LOVE this pick.

Barry Jackson wrote:
1) The two evaluators say Minkah Fitzpatrick should not only elevate the Dolphins with his play, but in time he also should help lessen the mental mistakes that have plagued the Dolphins’ defensive backfield.

Fitzpatrick led Dolphins defensive backs in interceptions during the offseason program, according to teammate Cornell Armstrong.

Alabama coach “Nick Saban has a complicated scheme and he won’t tolerate guys that make mistakes and Fitzpatrick doesn’t,” the scout said. “I’ve seen Nick throw guys off the field who are too stupid to know their assignments.”

The longtime executive, who met with Fitzpatrick, was bowled over by him: “Very bright kid, sharp kid. He will run their defense [eventually]. He can be a modern day Eric Berry. He’s really one of the Dolphins’ best picks in a while. Very mature. You will love him.”

One scout said he and several other NFL scouts with whom he communicates “thought Fitzpatrick is better than Denzel Ward” – the Ohio State cornerback who went fourth overall to Cleveland.

Fitzpatrick’s work in the offseason program reinforced the staff’s belief that they made the right decision to draft him, even with owner Stephen Ross suggesting Miami trade down.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]