All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:41 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Miami is bringing him in today. He would be a very nice option to have in the slot and is a better FS than TJ McDonald.

Miami has a little under $4 million in cap space and Vaccaro is only 27 so this won't be a vet minimum deal.

As Matt Cannata mentioned on Twitter, signing Vaccaro would give Miami some major flexibility to not NEED a safety early.

On the flip side, PFF rated Vaccaro as one of the worst safeties last year. He had injury issues that he played through.

He would be a good signing in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:15 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I remember looking at this guy prior to the draft a few years back where New Orleans took him later in the 1st round IIRC. He had a lot of hype going into the pros. I haven’t followed him since then though.

Armando is reporting that Miami is likely to sign him to a 1 year deal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:21 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I think this plays into the narrative of getting McDonald freed up to moonlight as a Buchanon-like thumper.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:37 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

It seems like this offseason, the front office has been accumulating positional hole-fillers to be able to draft the BPA regardless of position. If Vaccaro is signed, TE would be the only obvious positional hole left, with LB more of a production hole.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:46 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Are we really the "we'll fix what is wrong with you" team? Please pass on Vacaro. Even htough he should be at his prime at 27 there is a reason why the Saints want to move on from their former overall #15 draft pick.

Quote:
Vaccaro shifted around in the Saints’ defense, lining up at nickel, strong safety, free safety and in a linebacker-like role, so it’s possible the Dolphins might envision having him on the field with Jones and McDonald.

Vaccaro’s presence comes following speculation — including by ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper — that the Dolphins could go for FSU safety Derwin James in the first round.

The buzz surrounding Vaccaro and James only seems to underscore how frustrated the Dolphins are at their longstanding inability to cover tight ends, including New England’s Rob Gronkowski.

Interestingly, Vaccaro was benched — and not for the first time — last September after giving up two big plays to Gronkowski in a 36-20 loss to the Patriots.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost. ... -dolphins/

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:10 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Big Dave wrote:
Are we really the "we'll fix what is wrong with you" team? Please pass on Vacaro. Even htough he should be at his prime at 27 there is a reason why the Saints want to move on from their former overall #15 draft pick.

Quote:
Vaccaro shifted around in the Saints’ defense, lining up at nickel, strong safety, free safety and in a linebacker-like role, so it’s possible the Dolphins might envision having him on the field with Jones and McDonald.

Vaccaro’s presence comes following speculation — including by ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper — that the Dolphins could go for FSU safety Derwin James in the first round.

The buzz surrounding Vaccaro and James only seems to underscore how frustrated the Dolphins are at their longstanding inability to cover tight ends, including New England’s Rob Gronkowski.

Interestingly, Vaccaro was benched — and not for the first time — last September after giving up two big plays to Gronkowski in a 36-20 loss to the Patriots.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost. ... -dolphins/

I liked Vaccaro coming out of college but he hasn't lived up to his draft status, and I agree Dave that we should pass. When was the last time a player came to Miami and bounced back after a down year?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:30 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

k-dash wrote:
I liked Vaccaro coming out of college but he hasn't lived up to his draft status, and I agree Dave that we should pass. When was the last time a player came to Miami and bounced back after a down year?

Not to be argumentative or start another discussion, but Kiko did play well in '16........happens occasionally.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:17 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

We can fix him. We have the knowledge.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:41 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Maybe Chip and Joanna Gaines could be hired as consultants.

I'd definitely be OK with a really cheap 1-year prove-it deal. Nothing more than that. Sometimes people just need a little change to reignite their fire.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:01 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Guys, we aren't talking about a long term answer here. Low cost, one year prove it deal. As mentioned before, Kiko did fine as did Andre Branch. Miami did okay with Brent Grimes once upon a time too.

This doesn't prevent them from drafting a safety or cutting Vaccaro if he stinks throughout camp.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:54 pm 

shularino wrote:
k-dash wrote:

Not to be argumentative or start another discussion, but Kiko did play well in '16........happens occasionally.
You're right. I am one of the few around here that like him still. He just needs to be used properly.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:12 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
We can fix him. We have the knowledge.

:)

Big Dave wrote:

I agree. Although I also agree with Jammer. Vaccaro isn’t a big commitment so based off that and a lower scale salary, I’m not entirely opposed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:28 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Salguero confirming today that Miami is looking at having TJ McDonald play some LB due to his size. We've been mentioning this for a few months now after it being suggested by Omar Kelly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:26 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

FS becomes an important draft need.

Maybe Fitzpatrick or James fall to #11, which seems more likely lately. Its looking like Ward, Fitzpatrick, Vea, or James could be the best available at #11. I would think SF is looking LB now. TB and CHI could do anything.

What FS, regardless of round, would be the best fit for what Burke wants to do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:10 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

If Miami doesn't get a FS in Round 1 then we're probably looking at Justin Reid (Stanford) in Round 2 or Armani Watts (Texas A&M) in Round 4.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]