Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:59 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Well, he got his $15 million a season.

RotoWorld wrote:
Browns signed Jarvis Landry to a five-year, $75.5 million extension through 2023. ESPN's Josina Anderson was the first to report the impending deal. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the contract includes $47 million guaranteed, and Landry is now the fifth-highest paid receiver in the league based on average salary. It is a shocking price to pay for a volume-based player who never elevated Miami's passing attack past mediocre, but Landry at worst can be a reliable safety blanket for whichever quarterback Cleveland selects with the No. 1 overall pick.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9405/jarvis-landry

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:14 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

1000 receiving yards and 5 TDs got very expensive this offseason.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:59 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If the QB flames out, so will Landry and that contract. I’m giving him 3 seasons until he is out of Cleveland.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:41 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

We'll see of course, how Landry does in a different team, a different offense, with a much better QB, for whomever the Browns line up at QB it'll be surely better than the garbage we've had there the last bunch of years. Similarly, the offense our so called Whisperer has installed here, and his play calling, have been totally unimpressive bringing Gase's hiring, once deemed The Solution, into question. The combination, ie., our lousy offense, play calling and QB'ing, maybe branded Landry unfairly as all the talk of this contract questions the dollar value vs. his production as a Dolphin when compared to the league's top salaried receivers, all of them the so-called no. 1 WR designation.

So, we'll see. Ajayi sort of proved he wasn't the bad guy Gase's irresponsible move made him out to be. We have also seen the result of the Jay Cutler and Julius Thomas moves. On top of that, the Dolphins clearly have said this off-season Gase and the coaching staff he has selected can't manage a lockeroom and needs a bunch of veteran baby-sitters with the leadership qualities that he perhaps does not possess. If Landry now goes out and produces at a much higher level, silencing the slot, low YPC arguments, a lot of the Fins problems will point in only one direction.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:03 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

carreramia wrote:
We'll see of course, how Landry does in a different team, a different offense, with a much better QB, for whomever the Browns line up at QB it'll be surely better than the garbage we've had there the last bunch of years. Similarly, the offense our so called Whisperer has installed here, and his play calling, have been totally unimpressive bringing Gase's hiring, once deemed The Solution, into question. The combination, ie., our lousy offense, play calling and QB'ing, maybe branded Landry unfairly as all the talk of this contract questions the dollar value vs. his production as a Dolphin when compared to the league's top salaried receivers, all of them the so-called no. 1 WR designation.

So, we'll see. Ajayi sort of proved he wasn't the bad guy Gase's irresponsible move made him out to be. We have also seen the result of the Jay Cutler and Julius Thomas moves. On top of that, the Dolphins clearly have said this off-season Gase and the coaching staff he has selected can't manage a lockeroom and needs a bunch of veteran baby-sitters with the leadership qualities that he perhaps does not possess. If Landry now goes out and produces at a much higher level, silencing the slot, low YPC arguments, a lot of the Fins problems will point in only one direction.

Last I checked Miami's QBs in 2016 threw for 27 TDs and got 10 wins. Not sure how you can argue Tyrod Taylor has even been better than that and will suddenly make Landry shine. Gase also has more wins in 2 season than Hue Jackson does in 4 seasons as a coach.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:34 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Tannehill's qualifications are still in question. Taylor, while not all-world, would toast Gase's Dolphins every season and brings a lot more game to the position than Tannehill. Jackson's performance has been hog-tied by the Brown's "process". This time their new GM is giving him more weapons and definitely will test Jackson whether he will last the season or beyond. Gase's situation ain't that much different. I am not the first to raise that issue. 2016 was an anomaly, proven by the Steelers' rout of the Fins in the playoffs, showing that Fins team did not belong. And while 2017 may have been unfair to Gase, with all the issues and problems on and off the field, some or many of them were his doing.

Regardless, the Fins pop-gun offense, with or w/out Gase, may have hampered Landry. I say "may" because he might just be the guy in Cleveland we had here. But maybe not. That's why I say "we'll see".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:08 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Did I read that correctlly carrameia? I know Miami hasn’t shown much in YEARS. But Cleveland? I don’t believe there is a bigger joke out there in the professional sports world across all 4 North American sports. Miami, as bad as they have been, STILL doesn’t even compare. The Cleveland Browns are truly special.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:10 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

We were extremely lucky our backup QB outplayed our starter to get us into the playoffs..That didn't happen last year.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:40 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Did I read that correctlly carrameia? I know Miami hasn’t shown much in YEARS. But Cleveland? I don’t believe there is a bigger joke out there in the professional sports world across all 4 North American sports. Miami, as bad as they have been, STILL doesn’t even compare. The Cleveland Browns are truly special.

I don't think I compared Cleveland's seasons to Miami anywhere on my post. What I did say was that Cleveland's QB situation in 2018 will be better than the garbage we've had at the position for years. Taylor and Cleveland's likely no. 1 overall pick will surely be a better situation for Landry to perhaps, again I emphasize perhaps, show that this tag he's carried as nothing but a slot receiver with no downfield capability was more a result of the QB situation, the offense and play calling he played under while in Miami. Again he might not, but we won't know that for awhile.

In so far as the two franchises are concerned? Sure, the Browns have been awful for years, but c'mon, the Dolphins have not been far behind, it's only that on a national level nobody cares about the Dolphins and they have done nothing to change that view as a result of their dismal performance on prime time games.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:27 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

Yes, they have been bad for a long time, and the blame goes to management. The Browns and the Dolphins are running a dead heat to see who has had the worst drafts in the last ten years.

But they have now accumulated some talent, with much more to come in the next two weeks, and if they can even get average coaching, I think they will be a force to reckon with this year. Not many teams will have better talent at WR and RB than the Browns with Gordon, Landry, Coleman, Ndoku, Duke Johnson, Hyde, and Barkley. Defensively, Chubb and Garret will give them a scary defensive line. Add in a possible franchise QB with the first pick of the draft, and the Browns' future looks bright. I'd much rather be in their position than the Dolphins'.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:04 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

They won't have Barkley, Chubb and a 1st round QB. Gordon is a suspension waiting to happen. Njoku hasn't proven anything. Methinks you exaggerate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:04 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I do think the money is ridiculous, but moving the chains gets you into the end zone, too. As a receiver I do think he is unique.

https://twitter.com/mlombardiNFL/status ... 2918484996

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:38 am 

I loved Landry but... How many personal foul penalties did he have last year compared to the number of +15 yd plays? It feels like those 2 numbers are closer than they ought to be but maybe my memory is tainted by the last game.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:08 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Dorsey must have had a long talk with Landry when offering this contract. I can see the Browns improving the way the Cowboys did post Hershell Walker. They should land a QB and either Barkley or Chubb. Dorsey seems like the real deal. 5 wins this coming season and then a playoff push.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:51 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

This is karmic payback for giving Mike Wallace $12M per year when the rest of the NFL valued him at $9M.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:44 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

that was the price to keep Tannehill happy....he was criticized for his inability to go long, he still can't, but they didn't have anyone that could do what Wallace did and that's what Tannehill demanded. And then he went and wasted it....by missing Wallace countless times. Either way under thrown, most of the time, or lead him too much.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:00 pm 

carreramia wrote:
that was the price to keep Tannehill happy....he was criticized for his inability to go long, he still can't, but they didn't have anyone that could do what Wallace did and that's what Tannehill demanded. And then he went and wasted it....by missing Wallace countless times. Either way under thrown, most of the time, or lead him too much.

Tannehill has grown immensely in this area. He's actually one of the better deep throwers in the league statistically now. Look up the stats. That's an old, outdated criticism. That doesn't mean that there aren't a myriad of other reasons to doubt him, but that one rings hollow now.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/05/09/miami-dolphins-qb-ryan-tannehill-nfls-2nd-best-deep-ball-thrower-via-deep-ball-project/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:06 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

yeah, I've heard of those stats too, and they sound impressive, but forgive me if I can't recollect what actual games he won with those skills, what games he came from behind or built a lead with by hitting bombs that demoralized a defense.....and I've seen every cotton pickin' game, some twice over. And although this may be proof that my wife is right and short term memory is failing me I do recognize what that skill looks like as I can still vividly see the many times Duper casually strolled into the end zone after Marino hit him in stride, and that goes back some 30 years.

But yet, I have ask: if in fact Tannehill has those skills, then why is the team asking him to do anything else, those other pesky things he can't somehow do right that keeps us from winning?

I'm being facetious of course for I would like nothing better than to have a Daryle Lamonica-like mad bomber under center here but all I see is someone that every year we are looking to replace.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:30 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Overpaid. He's basically a step above a third down back from a yards per catch perspective.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:00 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Landry was only open because of Stills downfield threat... He wont have that anymore.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]