All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:53 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

How can the Pats land a first rounder from the Rams (23) for Cooks, but we only get a 4th for Landry? This makes our trade look like the Obama-Iran Nuke Deal......BAD!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:24 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Yeah, I don't get it. Good for the Pats who now have two first round picks and two 2nd round picks. Even though Brady is still looking good, they are smart enough to use one of those picks on a QB.

Dave Hyde wrote:
So Belichick trades a 31st overall pick for Brandin Cooks, plays him on cheap for a year and gets a 23rd for him this draft. Winning.

https://twitter.com/davehydesports/stat ... 2132117507

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:19 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

The Pat's can now move up to grab one of the big 4 qb's if they want to. If one them actually falls down to us, I'd happily swap them first round picks (Their 1-22 from the Rams) take of their 2nd's, then draft Vea or Payne.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:45 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

It is possible that at least in part this is a league indication of how it values slot recievers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:06 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Phin wrote:
How can the Pats land a first rounder from the Rams (23) for Cooks, but we only get a 4th for Landry? This makes our trade look like the Obama-Iran Nuke Deal......BAD!

There was about a $7 million dollar difference in salary, too, which makes Cooks much more appealing in a trade for one year of service. That extra cash allowed us to pick up two replacement receivers instead of one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:25 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

News Story:
"Bill Belichick pooped on the floor"

Dolphins Fans:
OMG that poop is soo much nicer than the Dolphins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:29 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The first thing the Patriots have to do is draft a WR, not a QB.

Dave Hyde wrote:
Forward-thinking reaction: Is Belichick in for a quarterback this draft? Maybe. But I’d doubt he can get that high. He now has two low-end first-rounds (23, 31) and two second-round picks to move up, if wanted. Plus, Tom Brady would be p-i-s-s-e-d. Imagine getting rid of Cooks, Danny Amendola and left tackle Nate Solder while adding his future successor? The Patriots have holes they need to fill if they’re winning big next year.

Value reaction: Belichick traded Cooks and his $8.45 million salary this year while the Dolphins traded Jarvis Landry and his $16 million franchise tag for a fourth-round pick.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave ... story.html

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:28 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Jarvis’ contract demands changed everything. If he was asking $7m/yr I am positive we would have at least a few teams willing to trade a 1st round pick for him.

Juice is absolutely a 1st round value, just not when you marry him to that fat contract.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:51 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Cooks @ $8.5M = Bargain
Landry @ $16M = Splurged On Luxury

If the Dolphins would have traded Landry before last season, they could have been looking at a 2nd or maybe a low 1st for him with him on the last year of his contract. At $16M no one was thinking 1st or 2nd rounder for him, and I'd be shocked if the Browns weren't the only team offering a 4th. I've read quotes from GMs in four different divisions saying they were shocked the Dolphins even got a 4th rounder for him.

I think most teams would give up good draft picks for bargains, but very few would give up good picks for market value and above.

I loved watching and rooting for Landry as much as anyone, but there's a reason Dorsey didn't immediately sign him to a 5-year $75M deal when they're still around $60M under the cap.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:27 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

If we take off the aqua colored lenses it would be quite clear that the rest of the league isn't as high on Landry as we are. Plenty of analysts pointed out that while he brings energy and good hands he's sort of limited in which routes he can beat defenses with. Its not a coincidence that Miami's record with him catching a high volume of passes is bad.

And I completely agree that his contract demands killed his value even more.

Brandin Cooks is a legit deep threat, can burn defenders on crossing routes and is basically everything we hope Kenny Stills will be. I remember our old buddy Phins Rock going nuts when Miami passed on Cooks in the 1st Round.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:14 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

They had a team offer a 2nd round pick for Landry last year, and turned it down.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:09 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
If we take off the aqua colored lenses it would be quite clear that the rest of the league isn't as high on Landry as we are. Plenty of analysts pointed out that while he brings energy and good hands he's sort of limited in which routes he can beat defenses with. Its not a coincidence that Miami's record with him catching a high volume of passes is bad.

Brandin Cooks is a legit deep threat, can burn defenders on crossing routes and is basically everything we hope Kenny Stills will be. I remember our old buddy Phins Rock going nuts when Miami passed on Cooks in the 1st Round.

Ya Landry sucks. He is so limited at what he does it's amazing he can catch more balls than any wr ever..

So over rated...Not worth it..Our qb can make any wr look good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:33 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

:yawn: Yawn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:16 pm 

So let's tally up the scorecard here: The Pats have lost their top WR (Cooks) plus one of their other key WR contributors (Amendola), their backup TE (Martellus Bennett), starting CB (Malcom Butler), starting OLT (Nate Solder), starting RB (Dion Lewis), RT (Cameron Fleming) as well as LB (Shea McLellin)

The re-signed RB Rex Burkhead and acquired DE Adrian Clayborn, RB Jeremy Hill, DT Danny Shelton and returner Cordarrelle Patterson.

But hey, it's the Pats so everyone assumes they'll come up smelling like roses.

Including me, by the way. But on paper, it's hard to say they have gotten better. Which will make it that much more maddening when they keep winning anyway, with surprisingly few star players and a better cap situation than most other teams in the conference.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:38 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

k-dash wrote:
Which will make it that much more maddening when they keep winning anyway, with surprisingly few star players and a better cap situation than most other teams in the conference.

With a great QB & Coach the sky is the limit... Dan & Don did it for years here... Just never got over the hump and had to compete with other great teams of that era...

Patsies have dealt with 3 scrubs in this division for a couple decades...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:22 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

k-dash wrote:
:yawn: Yawn.

Yup, same old response that runs from the facts. Proof is in the winning percentage of when Landry catches a lot versus when he is a complimentary piece. He is a good number 2 receiver who operates best in the slot. Cooks has the potential to be a featured WR with his speed. Hence the difference in trade price.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:59 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

I agree. How’s PR doing nowadays? Anyone still keep in touch?

Kev1321 wrote:
Ya Landry sucks. He is so limited at what he does it's amazing he can catch more balls than any wr ever..

So over rated...Not worth it..Our qb can make any wr look good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:13 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

10acjed wrote:
News Story:

Dolphins Fans:

That was funny!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:54 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

10acjed wrote:
News Story:

Dolphins Fans:

Factually I'm not sure it would not be accurate, considering the :crap Miami has put on the football field that last two decade and called it an NFL team.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:29 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Very well said. I think the only team with better on-field :crap sandwiches and :crap salads over the last decade, would literally and figuratively be the Cleveland Browns.

But, meandering back to the original subject of this thread, I'm excited about all the trading by teams over the last few years. It always used to be just a few draft picks swapping hands. Or teams swapping bench players. Now teams are trading players during the season for draft picks, and trading players for a swap of picks. So much wheeling and dealing makes the offseason decently fun to follow. Of course, its always nice when your team looks like it comes out on top more than not. Hopefully we can get there.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]