All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:06 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Lance Zierlein mentions that sacks have affected Falk's accuracy on passes downfield. This is a little concerning as we have never had great pass protection no matter who we put in front of the quarterback. Tannehill, one of the most hit quarterbacks, has actually gotten much better with his deep passes, so, this shows the mental toughness that we love about Tannehill, but Falk is a quarterback with a lot of experience at the position. It should be very interesting to see if we draft Falk. We are going to draft a quarterback but we do not know where. Maybe the Dolphins aren't too worried about Tannehill to draft a quarterback, because, as we see from this picture from this past weekend that he is alive and well.

Barry Jackson wrote:
Falk, 6-4, was an All-Pac 10 selection in 2015, led Washington State to a Sun Bowl victory over the University of Miami that year and holds the conference’s records for career passing attempts, completions, completion percentage, passing yards, and passing touchdowns.

Falk threw for 14,481 yards with 119 touchdowns and 39 interceptions, with a 68.3 completion percentage and a 28-15 record.

Last season, he threw for 3,593 yards, 30 touchdowns and 13 interceptions, with a 66.9 completion percentage.

He was sacked 125 times in his career but impressed with his toughness, playing the final 10 weeks last season with a broken left hand (non-throwing hand).

NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein said of Falk: “Tall, rhythm passer with good natural accuracy and years of quality production who is much more comfortable working the perimeter and against man coverage. Falk’s lack of protection and average mobility has lead to a tremendous amount of sacks and quarterback hits that may have taken a toll on him. While he can throw with touch and accuracy, his deep and intermediate accuracy dipped this season. There are some holes that could be hard to correct in Falk’s game and “average starter” may be his ceiling.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:59 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

There are some holes that could be hard to correct in Falk’s game and “average starter” may be his ceiling.”

That's what we have now at QB.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:14 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

For what its worth I put Falk in my mock draft to Miami. He isn't the franchise saving guy you move mountains to get, but at worst I think he'll be a great back up and good value in Round 3. He has a lot of Kirk Cousins to his game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:20 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Jammer, how would you compare Faulk to Kyle Lauletta? I have been growing more interested in him as we get closer to the draft.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:37 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Lauletta is more mobile, maybe better accuracy on deep ball last year. He also doesn't come with durability issues. But he played low level competition.

The thing with Falk that no one knew this year was he played with a broken non throwing hand. It hurt his ability to be the star he was his junior year. I read a lot about how his arm strength and accuracy will be much better as we approach the draft because he'll be healed up.

Falk was my favorite QB heading into this past season. The experts say average starter, but I think the potential to be better is there. Its why in my mock I mentioned his maniacal preparation and that could drive him to great heights with the right coach.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:39 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I'll add that lately I'm getting this gut feeling that Miami is going to offer some insane package for Baker Mayfield. I have zero evidence to prove it other than the public love the team is showing for him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:12 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Lauletta is more mobile, maybe better accuracy on deep ball last year. He also doesn't come with durability issues. But he played low level competition.

The thing with Falk that no one knew this year was he played with a broken non throwing hand. It hurt his ability to be the star he was his junior year. I read a lot about how his arm strength and accuracy will be much better as we approach the draft because he'll be healed up.

Falk was my favorite QB heading into this past season. The experts say average starter, but I think the potential to be better is there. Its why in my mock I mentioned his maniacal preparation and that could drive him to great heights with the right coach.

Either seem like perfect QB's for NE, though some say Lauretta has a weaker arm. That his deep balls run out of steam.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:52 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Did the best I could for quick research on pros and cons for the QBs Miami will be looking at in Rounds 2-4.

Lamar Jackson - Insane athlete, nice arm and highlight throws. Size will lead to durability issues and it may take a couple of years for him to be a reliable starter. Like RG III and Johnny Manziel, when teams figured them out the college highlight reel turned into a disaster at the next level.

Mason Rudolph - Good size, good accuracy on intermediate throws, decent mobility. Definitely a system QB who will take time to develop. Worries me that he may be another Brandon Weeden aka his weapons made him look better.

Luke Falk - Lightning fast release and good accuracy on short and intermediate routes. Locker room leader and student of the game. Average at best arm was masked by the system he played in. Could be Kirk Cousins or another David Fales.

Mike White - Good size, good arm and evidence of throwing guys open (that is huge). Appears to be a good leader. I've heard of him being the guy who will emerge from the mid rounds as the next decent to good starter in the league. Didn't play top competition and his play dropped off when the talent around him was reduced. Needs to be more consistent with decisions. Another Kirk Cousins comparison but with a better arm.

Kyle Lauletta - Very good accuracy to go along with mobility. Touted as the Jimmy G of the draft. However, not nearly the arm as Jimmy G and played low level competition. Some of the hype has dropped off recently and his arm strength may prevent him from being a future starter.

Kurt Benkert - Watch highlight videos and you'll think you're seeing Sam Darnold. Tough, mobile QB who can escape pressure and hit throws at every level with a strong arm. Makes some serious wow throws. The knock is decision making and consistency. Sounds like another Cutler-Flacco boom or bust type, except he has the leadership and personality traits to rally a team. Not a ton of love from the scouting community as a future starter.

I could see Falk and Benkert being favorites of Gase, with White being a middle ground between the two (accuracy+arm strength). Barry Jackson has reported that Miami has done extensive research on both Falk and Benkert, plus they have met with White and put Lauletta through a workout.

My guess is either Falk in Round 3, or White/Benkert in Round 4.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:39 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

jammer wrote:
Did the best I could for quick research on pros and cons for the QBs Miami will be looking at in Rounds 2-4.

Lamar Jackson - Insane athlete, nice arm and highlight throws. Size will lead to durability issues and it may take a couple of years for him to be a reliable starter. Like RG III and Johnny Manziel, when teams figured them out the college highlight reel turned into a disaster at the next level.

Mason Rudolph - Good size, good accuracy on intermediate throws, decent mobility. Definitely a system QB who will take time to develop. Worries me that he may be another Brandon Weeden aka his weapons made him look better.

Luke Falk - Lightning fast release and good accuracy on short and intermediate routes. Locker room leader and student of the game. Average at best arm was masked by the system he played in. Could be Kirk Cousins or another David Fales.

Mike White - Good size, good arm and evidence of throwing guys open (that is huge). Appears to be a good leader. I've heard of him being the guy who will emerge from the mid rounds as the next decent to good starter in the league. Didn't play top competition and his play dropped off when the talent around him was reduced. Needs to be more consistent with decisions. Another Kirk Cousins comparison but with a better arm.

Kyle Lauletta - Very good accuracy to go along with mobility. Touted as the Jimmy G of the draft. However, not nearly the arm as Jimmy G and played low level competition. Some of the hype has dropped off recently and his arm strength may prevent him from being a future starter.

Kurt Benkert - Watch highlight videos and you'll think you're seeing Sam Darnold. Tough, mobile QB who can escape pressure and hit throws at every level with a strong arm. Makes some serious wow throws. The knock is decision making and consistency. Sounds like another Cutler-Flacco boom or bust type, except he has the leadership and personality traits to rally a team. Not a ton of love from the scouting community as a future starter.

I could see Falk and Benkert being favorites of Gase, with White being a middle ground between the two (accuracy+arm strength). Barry Jackson has reported that Miami has done extensive research on both Falk and Benkert, plus they have met with White and put Lauletta through a workout.

My guess is either Falk in Round 3, or White/Benkert in Round 4.

Very good write up !
thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:44 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:

This pretty much says it all. I concur with you assessments, Jammer, though I'd really like them to take a hard look at Chase Litton.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:44 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I still think 5 years out, the best QB in this draft didn't get drafted in the 1st round.

One of the non-top-4 will end up in a perfect situation and perfect system for their skill set, and get to sit behind Brady, Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger, or even Tannehill for a year or two and take the league by storm.

Or, someone will take a 2nd round flier on Lamar Jackson and really figure out how to use him after sitting him for a while.

I'm not a QB analyst, just a fan of good play.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:57 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

apatos13 wrote:
jammer wrote:

This pretty much says it all. I concur with you assessments, Jammer, though I'd really like them to take a hard look at Chase Litton.

Thanks. I did not include guys who will be late Day 3 or UDFA. Litton is the guy to keep an eye on although I'm starting to hear some positives about Kyle Allen as well. He has worked out with both Darnold and Allen, and his QB trainer has talked up his traits.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]