Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: why I watch the game....
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:49 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

....and how these ever changing rules are chipping away at it.

On the heels of the idiotic, frustrating, confusing, nearly impossible to understand much less apply ...

1) what is a catch?
2) hitting a "defenseless player"
3) what is pass interference?

...now comes this "lowering your helmet" rule.

Get ready for more head scratching calls and delays. Every single ball carrier, running back, TE, WR, even QBs, instinctively lower their heads just prior to contact. And defenders react just as instinctively and do the same. What are we going to have? A myriad of off-setting penalties? Five hours later we have a game.

Whoopee!!

Ba-humbug!

It isn't the game I grew up with in the early 60s, that's for darn sure. Back then, the joy was the toughness of the sport. If you were tougher, bigger, nastier, you won as a player and as a kid you wanted to do that and I may have somewhere still the scars to prove it. Playing no helmet tackle wasn't even questioned when I was growing up. We wanted to emulate the Jimmy Browns, Jim Taylors, Ray Nitschkes, Jack Tatums, Larry Csonkas, Dick Butkus, etc., those that helped made the game that went on to surpass baseball as the "national pastime", no small feat. Today, all that is being brought into question for me. Sure, legislation was/is needed regarding protecting players, but the league is unable to get players to buy into this and not because the players don't want to, it's because it's intuitively contrary to the nature of the game. Can these rules and the draining interest they introduce to the enjoyment of the game change things? Well, seeing what is happening out there Sundays, it may take decades of re-programming the art of a "tackle", the ferociousness of "breaking"a tackle, the perfect "block".

Blocking and tackling. The very basis of this game, as old as the hills. The preaching taught by legends, Lombardi, Halas, etc. Can the league/players change that raw, basic principle? Beats the hell out of me. It's like asking, can we have our cake and eat it too? Can they achieve the safety factor without impairing what made the game? While it is obviously the direction it may just take new generations of players, coaches, policy makers AND fans, to make it work.

Let's hope, for the game and league's sake, that whatever product they are able to put on the field will be enough to make those "new" fans put down their smart phones and watch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:12 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Just wait untill the players are robots controlled by interactive virtual reality.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:31 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

AQNOR wrote:
Just wait untill the players are robots controlled by interactive virtual reality.

Oh, thankfully I'll be long gone by then, sitting around asking Earl Campbell how in the hell did he not fall flat on his back when Jack Tatum blasted him chest high, with the crown of his helmet I might add, on a goal line play waaaay back in the day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:53 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

The game is virtually unrecognizable today. Passing stats are padded by rules that almost make the QB and WR untouchable till after the completion is secured. Heck...Nat Moore, Fred Biletnikoff and others did it with a DB draped on them and a safety hitting them over the middle as they laid out for the ball. Somehow, the ‘72 Phins could stymie a pass rush without changes to blocking rules...and the QB didn’t wear his red jersey on the field as he seemingly does now. Defenses were not just tough, they were intimidating. Yes, the sport is safer....but let’s be real, it is still dangerous. It is just less fun to watch and don’t think more rules aren’t on the way!

Football gets such negative attention for concussions, but I can turn a channel and watch boxers or cage fighters savaging each other with a concussion as the ultimate goal of the sport? WTF?

I agree that the lowering the head rule will be a pain in the a$$ to call consistently. Don’t worry though, for New England the call will work in their favor as it almost always does. Snow plow.....sure! Tuck rule to save a star spangled super bowl?....whatever u need Tom!

Last edited by Phinished on Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:56 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

If they get big enough then they will be targeted too or if they are known for respecting the armed forces or possibly pro - USA.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:00 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Every aspect of society has gone soft. The guys back in your day used to take 3x the beating for 1/10th of the paycheck. If an Odell played back then he would have gotten his a$$ beat by his own teammates.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:38 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

In the 60’s and up until recently toughness was part of the game. For the fans, it’s the sissyfication of the sport. But the fans aren’t the ones who get CTE from the repeated head trauma. I’m not sure there’s an even ground where you can produce the violence and hard hits the game is popular for and to protect the players.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:27 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

No...no one can be made to play a violent game that bestows riches on its players.

We pay soldiers a hell of a lot less for an immeasurably more dangerous job.

At the same time, it would be much safer if they played touch or flag too....but will fans pay to watch that? The game has been slipping in ratings a bit already. It is hard enough with all the darn commercials, the stupid rule changes, way too long breaks for replay and subpar play that each season starts with. The players don’t even start the season in shape these days. Contact is so minimal in practice. Yet the injury problem, or is that just a Phins softness issue, seems to be on the rise.

If I want boring, I can watch baseball, hockey or most of today’s NBA. Perhaps sports is losing its grip on our entertainment culture?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:01 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phinished wrote:
No...no one can be made to play a violent game that bestows riches on its players.

We pay soldiers a hell of a lot less for an immeasurably more dangerous job.

At the same time, it would be much safer if they played touch or flag too....but will fans pay to watch that? The game has been slipping in ratings a bit already. It is hard enough with all the darn commercials, the stupid rule changes, way too long breaks for replay and subpar play that each season starts with. The players don’t even start the season in shape these days. Contact is so minimal in practice. Yet the injury problem, or is that just a Phins softness issue, seems to be on the rise.

If I want boring, I can watch baseball, hockey or most of today’s NBA. Perhaps sports is losing its grip on our entertainment culture?

For me sports have been a little bit of an amusement and temporary escape from stress of life. For some of the reasons you have mentioned and for others it is becoming less and less of what I want from them so my watching has been less and less. I see that trend progressing for me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:55 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Hey, C', what was it like back when they played with leather helmets? I bet players instinctively didn't lower their heads then. The helmet gives them a false sense of safety/security, and I think it therefore makes the game even more dangerous. The don't use helmets in rugby!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:56 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

prof123 wrote:
Hey, C', what was it like back when they played with leather helmets? I bet players instinctively didn't lower their heads then. The helmet gives them a false sense of safety/security, and I think it therefore makes the game even more dangerous. The don't use helmets in rugby!

Rugby!? Barbaric! Our game combines athletic finesse, strategic ingenuity, toughness and ......the draft. A beautiful combination if they would just leave it alone. Besides, our helmets have beautiful designs. Can't get rid of those. Nothing prettier than the Packers' "G", or in the old days, the Bills' Buffalo.

I do like Rugby requiring the runners, or whatever they are called, having to place the ball down on the ground once they cross the goal line. I am not sure about it but it appears that if they don't do that right away the defender can still prevent the score. Maybe your crack researchers can clarify.

Instead of insisting on changing our game inside out, maybe the NFL rule makers should study that particular Rugby action extensively, and should consider introducing that requirement in the NFL game. It would lend a bit of formality to what has become a joke with the celebrations and all that other nonsense. I would call it the "Barry Sanders Rule".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:19 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Act like you have been there before.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:23 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

But wait all you old &@#$ want is a No Fun League.

Maybe to capture the younger crowd they should let people vote with their smart phone on the best endzone antics, sack, catch, tackle, Gatorade pour, bench warmer celebration. The punters and the kickers need to get in on this too. The team with the best ones get an extra point at the end of the games to settle ties or something. : )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:09 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

this from SI....

6. Steven Ruiz did his homework to argue that the NFL needs to clarify its new lowering-the-head penalty, finding that it could have been called 39 times in one half of one game.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/30/lamar ... newsletter

oh goody, how much fun this all fun league will give us.....39 calls in one half of one game??....the good thing is all that stuff will take so long to weed out that we'll be playing the Super Bowl in July....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:58 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

39 times in one half hmm if ejections go with the penalty then nfl teams may need bigger rosters.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:56 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

AQNOR wrote:
39 times in one half hmm if ejections go with the penalty then nfl teams may need bigger rosters.

..exactly! If they keep this up next they'll be enacting rules to limit runs between the tackles. Then of course, they'll limit blitzing to only one guy that has to declare to the ref before the play that he's eligible to blitz. After that they will eliminate crossing patterns as that creates the highest chance of collisions. And so on, and so forth....

Sure, it all sounds ridiculous, but too late for that. As that "great" Hollywood producer once demanded of Vito Corleone's attorney, the league that once couldn't afford to be made to look ridiculous it is now for all to see very much ridiculous.

Wonder if Goodell owns a horse somewhere.....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:49 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

..exactly! If they keep this up next they'll be enacting rules to limit runs between the tackles. Then of course, they'll limit blitzing to only one guy that has to declare to the ref before the play that he's eligible to blitz. After that they will eliminate crossing patterns as that creates the highest chance of collisions. And so on, and so forth....

Sure, it all sounds ridiculous, but too late for that. As that "great" Hollywood producer once demanded of Vito Corleone's attorney, the league that once couldn't afford to be made to look ridiculous it is now for all to see very much ridiculous.

Wonder if Goodell owns a horse somewhere.....

It sounds easy you just make him an offer he can't refuse.

It would probably be a safer game like you said if the nfl cut out running plays, and made it a 7 on 7 passing game with flags instead of tackling and a play timer no rushing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:40 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I'm all time QB, and you're not allowed to touch me while trying to take my flag or it's a penalty.

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]