All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:32 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Hmmmm ..... that's a crapload of money invested in a group that didn't play as well as expected together. Rashad Jones is safe, but could another free agent pick up from last year be a mistake?

Sun Sentinel wrote:
“I don’t think it really turned out as well as we thought [based on] what we saw in training camp,” Gase said, referring to McDonald’s return from his eight game suspension for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy.

McDonald, who has started 61 NFL games in five seasons, contributed 45 tackles, one interception and broke up three passes in the eight games he played for Miami last season.

“T.J. did a great job of being ready to go, and got in there and was physically able to do it. But we didn’t have that chemistry we’re looking for,” Gase said of McDonald and Jones, who was selected to the Pro Bowl for the second time in 2017. “It took those guys a while to get a feel for each other.”

Gase’s discomfort with how Jones and McDonald played together hinted that changes could be coming to that unit.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... story.html

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:10 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Big Dave wrote:
Hmmmm ..... that's a crapload of money invested in a group that didn't play as well as expected together. Rashad Jones is safe, but could another free agent pick up from last year be a mistake?

Sun Sentinel wrote:
“I don’t think it really turned out as well as we thought [based on] what we saw in training camp,” Gase said, referring to McDonald’s return from his eight game suspension for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy.

McDonald, who has started 61 NFL games in five seasons, contributed 45 tackles, one interception and broke up three passes in the eight games he played for Miami last season.

“T.J. did a great job of being ready to go, and got in there and was physically able to do it. But we didn’t have that chemistry we’re looking for,” Gase said of McDonald and Jones, who was selected to the Pro Bowl for the second time in 2017. “It took those guys a while to get a feel for each other.”

Gase’s discomfort with how Jones and McDonald played together hinted that changes could be coming to that unit.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... story.html
I don't know that they ever had much of a chance to develop chemistry because of the suspension. Any way if we played McD at lb to cover the te or back and got someone else at s I would be okay with that in theory.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:32 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

This is less about the players and more about how the team uses them. Miami likes to play a lot of two high at safety to try and disguise coverage when both are better at playing in the box. Neither are good at being the deep man. It's a criminal shame to waste their talents by not playing both to their strengths. Miami has got to discover the league trend of using defensive backs to cover TE's and RB's instead of LB's, going with a base of 4-2-5.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]