All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:51 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Man, I cannot even imagine Suh and Donald side by side playing for Wade Phillips. Anyways, as long as he isn't playing for anyone in the AFC East I am happy.

Quote:
Rams signed DT Ndamukong Suh, formerly of the Dolphins, to a one-year, $14 million contract. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Suh took less to sign with the Rams. This has been the expected outcome for much of the past week after it was reported the Rams entered the conversation. Suh was reportedly very intrigued by the idea of teaming up with Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers while playing for DC Wade Phillips. It's a way for Suh to sort of rehab his value on a one-year deal as a 31-year-old. Even at his age, Suh remains one of the very best interior linemen, even if the counting stats weren't there for him in 2017. Look for Phillips to get the most out of him, allowing him to one-gap and attack upfield. This Rams defensive front and secondary is absolutely stacked; they now just need edge rushers.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5593/ndamukong-suh

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:20 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I really like Suh as a player and a person. He was just eating up way too much of the cap. I don’t believe any interior linemen in the game can justify that contract.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:04 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I thought we would be playing the Eagles in the super bowl. Im thinking it might be the Rams.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:18 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I wonder if the Phins had any interest in keeping him? From a salary cap standpoint, they only needed 5 mil to match the Rams offer. (The Phins will spread a $9 mil cap hit over the next 2 years, but it could have been absorbed in 1.) Ofcourse, actually cash would have been $14M+.

Sounds like Suh did not put $$ first this time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:05 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

So in the end. Miami traded Suh, 4th & a drop down in the 6th for 17 million cap space in 2018 and with no one special available to go after, Robert Quinn and a 6th.

Did I miss anything?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:45 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I really like Suh as a player and a person. He was just eating up way too much of the cap. I don’t believe any interior linemen in the game can justify that contract.

I liked him, too, but for that kind of money you need someone who is going to go in there and take the ball out of the quarterback's hands and run it into the end zone. There just were not any game changing plays.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:25 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
So in the end. Miami traded Suh, 4th & a drop down in the 6th for 17 million cap space in 2018 and with no one special available to go after, Robert Quinn and a 6th.

Did I miss anything?

Don't forget that the Dolphins broke an NFL record with Suh: we are left with $22.2 million in dead salary cap money on the books. That's impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:59 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This is from Gase's press conference yesterday. I'm calling :crap on it. Rotational: fine. Money? fine. Suh "doesn't fit"? Unless I am reading this incorrectly or Beasley didn't hear it correctly, anyone who cannot figure out how to use Suh shouldn't be running the defensive line.

Adam H. Beasley wrote:
Cutting Suh’s was the biggest (and most controversial) move of the past few weeks, but beyond chemistry and culture concerns, it appears he did not fit into the sort of defense the Dolphins want to run with Kris Kocurek running the D-line. Suh would have counted more than $50 million against the cap the next two years — too much to have him on the bench. His snap count in 2017 reflected that. He was on field for 84 percent of the Dolphins’ defensive plays. The Dolphins want to go rotational in 2018.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/m ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:56 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I think the article goes on to say that the fit is money not talent. The new coach wants to rotate guys in. It does not fit to pay Suh the kind of salary he is worth only playing him 60 - 70% ? of snaps.

Like you indicate it would seem better to make use of the talent you have instead of needing to get guys to fit your system but over the years that seems to be the case. It seems rare that coaches don't want their guys. No matter the coach. Many players have priced themselves out of the patriots.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:17 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AQNOR wrote:
It does not fit to pay Suh the kind of salary he is worth only playing him 60 - 70% ? of snaps.

Now, that I can get on board with. I love Suh, but it was time to move on. His salary dictated the move.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]