All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:01 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

We will definitely be able have one of these 11 players. Which would be the worst one for us?
QB: Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen
RB: Barkley
G: Nelson
DE: Chubb
LB: Smith, Edmunds
DB: Fitzpatrick, Ward

Is there any other player you would prefer over these eleven? I might have said Ridley, prior to us picking up two free agent WRs. Maybe Payne or Vea (DL). Maybe D.James or J.Jackson (DB).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:36 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

This is what I would do, based off several draft runs on Fanspeak.

I was offered and took: Traded 1-11 FOR 1-19, 2-18, 4-16

R1P19 DL DA'RON PAYNE ALABAMA

I would have used 2-10 on Dallas Godert, but when my 2nd favorite player in the draft fell, I couldn't resist.

Traded 2-10, 4-30, future 2nd, 4th, 5th, Andre Branch, for 1-30

R1P30 EDGE MARCUS DAVENPORT UTSA (The next Jason Taylor)

R2P18 RB SONY MICHEL GEORGIA

I was offered and took: Traded 3-9 for 3-16 and 3-34

R3P16 LB SHAQUEM GRIFFIN CENTRAL FLORIDA
The leader of our defense.

R3P34 QB KYLE LAULETTA RICHMOND

Couldn't resist when he fell and all big TE's were off the board by now.
R4P16 WR D.J. CHARK LOUISIANA STATE

I was offered and took: SENT 4-24 FOR 4-31, 5-34

R4P31 TE IAN THOMAS INDIANA

The last three are favorite sleepers of mine.
R5P34 LB DORIAN O'DANIEL CLEMSON
R7P9 WR BRAXTON BERRIOS MIAMI
R7P11 QB CHASE LITTON MARSHALL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:47 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

I think Edmunds will be there for the taking at 11 and would not be sad to get him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:02 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

apatos13 wrote:
This is what I would do, based off several draft runs on Fanspeak.

Where do you see the Penn State tight end, Gesicki, going?

I don't want to use picks to trade up, because the only way to get cheap depth is through the draft, and we need depth in several places. I don't want to trade down from 11, because I think there is a dropoff in the talent level of the type of player we need right around the 11th spot. I wouldn't mind trading down after the first round, though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:42 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

prof123 wrote:
Where do you see the Penn State tight end, Gesicki, going?

TE's start going off the board in round 2, Gesiski is usually first. I can see him going at the bottom of round 1.

Quote:
I don't want to use picks to trade up, because the only way to get cheap depth is through the draft, and we need depth in several places. I don't want to trade down from 11, because I think there is a dropoff in the talent level of the type of player we need right around the 11th spot. I wouldn't mind trading down after the first round, though.

Supposedly they really like Payne and Guise. Lauretta, Michel, and Goedert too. So I try to draft to get their guys. So far it's easy to trade down and grab either Payne or Guise and pick up an extra second. Michel is always available at 2-10, making a cinch to grab one of the TE's with the other.

Personally, I like Smith, James or Davenport at #11, but if Fitzpatrick fell to me, I'd trip over my shoe laces trying to turn in the card.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:58 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

We don't need another DE, though! If a player drops, I suppose we eventually reach the point where it is okay to draft a player at a non-need position, purely based on value (think of the Packers drafting Rodgers when they had Favre). However, I sure hope we don't take Davenport at 1-11. I wouldn't even take him at 2-11 if Gesicki were available.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:24 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

If someone like Jessie Bates were available in Rd. 2 he'd be really difficult to pass up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:08 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

In a lot of the mock drafts I am seeing, at #11 Mayfield (QB), James (DB), Vea (NT), and Edmunds (LB) are available. I would be surprised to see Mayfield fall that far, but supposing these four are there at #11, who should we pick? (I chose these four because they are players I have seen going to us as well.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:27 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

To me it's tough between Edmunds and Mayfield. I don't expect Mayfield to be there, and even if he is I don't expect the Dolphins to take a QB #1. I think they will draft one later, maybe even in the 2nd round, but not #1. So I say take the clear day 1 starter in Edmunds or Smith and pick up a QB in the 2nd or 3rd.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:43 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

If by some miracle Mayfield drops after the first three selections, I say let's go get him at #5. Denver is not going qb, and I doubt they go after Nelson either. They move down to 1-11 and they get one of the premier tackles they need. Mayfield would rebrand this franchise in the same way Marino did. But he won't fall, it'll be Allen who is an easy pass.

My preference is Smith or James. Either will fix our problems in pass coverage and be the playmakers on defense we've been sorely lacking.

Supposedly, they really like Payne, but I'd rather take Vea. I know he's viewed as a NT, but in a 4-3 this guy would be the monster we hoped Suh was going to be. A DT that can rush the passer, and QB's hate inside pressure. Disruption would be his middle name.

I don't want Edmunds. He's a monster at ILB, but it seems like we'd be wasting his talent at strong or weak where we need the help.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:48 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

From what I have read Edmunds seems to be versatile, has speed, is good at coverage and is also a good tackler. If the Phins get a LB that can cover TE' s then that would be a good thing I would think. I guess I would not really see it as a waste. Also has speed off the edge to rush qb' s.

If it comes down to Payne or Vea I would pick Vea too. If it came down to Vea or Edmunds I think I would go Edmunds. I would really like to see the Phins able to stop TE from roaming freely in the backfield.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:49 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I hope it doesn't happen, but if the draft unfolds as in this mock draft, where Nelson, Edmunds, and Smith are all gone, then I hope we trade down. We could drop five spots or so, and Vea, Payne, James, or Ward would still be available. Maybe trading down here would allow us to move up enough in the 2nd round to get either Gesicki or Guice.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/21/mock- ... r-mayfield

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:10 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

apatos13 wrote:
If by some miracle Mayfield drops after the first three selections, I say let's go get him at #5. Denver is not going qb, and I doubt they go after Nelson either. They move down to 1-11 and they get one of the premier tackles they need. Mayfield would rebrand this franchise in the same way Marino did. But he won't fall, it'll be Allen who is an easy pass.

My preference is Smith or James. Either will fix our problems in pass coverage and be the playmakers on defense we've been sorely lacking.

Supposedly, they really like Payne, but I'd rather take Vea. I know he's viewed as a NT, but in a 4-3 this guy would be the monster we hoped Suh was going to be. A DT that can rush the passer, and QB's hate inside pressure. Disruption would be his middle name.

I don't want Edmunds. He's a monster at ILB, but it seems like we'd be wasting his talent at strong or weak where we need the help.

Why do you think Denver is passing on QB? They tried to trade up to 1 overall and were all hands on deck for Mayfield's pro day. Case Keenum's contract is basically a 1 year bridge deal. If Denver doesn't like Allen or Rosen then I could see them dealing back. It is very likely Darnold and Mayfield go Top 4.

I think Gase wants Mayfield badly, but Miami cannot bid higher than their competitors. They simply don't have the ammo to move up. Cleveland, New York and Buffalo will be in the top 5 taking QBs. Cleveland is taking QB at 1, New York is going QB at 3, and Buffalo is just waiting to see who slides. My guess is they already have the framework for a deal with Cleveland at 4.

Miami can hope Rosen or Allen experience a slide, but if the early teams pass and another team doesn't trade ahead of them then I think that speaks to results of the evaluations. Is former scout Greg Gabriel recently warned, this early QB crop is eerily similar to the 2011 bunch.

I'd say the most likely candidates for Miami are Roquan Smith or Derwin James. Both are BPA and fill needs. A trade back is possible, but once the QBs are gone it will be for discount value.

The Giants can throw a real monkey wrench in everything by taking Eli's successor, but my guess is they go with Minkah Fitzpatrick.

The big draft surprise, and I'm stealing this from Benjamin Albright, is I think Saquon Barkley possibly falls out of the top 10. He made a good case for why it could happen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:46 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Why do you think Denver is passing on QB? They tried to trade up to 1 overall and were all hands on deck for Mayfield's pro day. Case Keenum's contract is basically a 1 year bridge deal. If Denver doesn't like Allen or Rosen then I could see them dealing back. It is very likely Darnold and Mayfield go Top 4.

You asked the question then basically answered it. Kenum can win for them now. Wait for a rookie to develop and their window may close. Probably has now that KC is starting Mahomes.

Quote:
Is former scout Greg Gabriel recently warned, this early QB crop is eerily similar to the 2011 bunch.

I'd say it's more like the poorman's version of 2012. Darnold or Allen being Luck, Rosen = Tannehill, Mayfield = Wilson, Jackson = RG3.

So is Barkley going to be Trent Richardson? If this really is history repeating itself, then Miami need to pick Vea.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:03 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

jammer wrote:

The big draft surprise, and I'm stealing this from Benjamin Albright, is I think Saquon Barkley possibly falls out of the top 10. He made a good case for why it could happen.

I can't believe that will happen. If it does, though, we should grab him faster than you can say Ki-Jana Carter!

I am sure that one of Nelson, Edmunds, Smith, James, or Ward will be available, and I hope we take whichever one is there, in that order.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:15 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

apatos13 wrote:
jammer wrote:

You asked the question then basically answered it. Kenum can win for them now. Wait for a rookie to develop and their window may close. Probably has now that KC is starting Mahomes.

Keenum doesn't cancel out a rookie though. He didn't win it all with a better situation in Minnesota. Denver may like all 4 top QBs. They also could potentially trade up to the 2nd pick.

Mahomes hasn't done anything at the NFL level. Loads of talent and potential, but to quote Dennis Green "if you want to crown their a$$...", well you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:34 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Keenum doesn't cancel out a rookie though. He didn't win it all with a better situation in Minnesota. Denver may like all 4 top QBs. They also could potentially trade up to the 2nd pick.
They have Lynch, why wouldn't they take the most impactfull player they can to make a run at it? it isn't like Keenum is the reason they lost. Otherwise why sign him?

Quote:
Mahomes hasn't done anything at the NFL level. Loads of talent and potential, but to quote Dennis Green "if you want to crown their a$$...", well you know how it goes.
yes, and Dennis Green is doing what now? Miami should have listened to me and drafted him last year, just like they should go all in on Mayfield if they can. I'd say he'll make us regret it every time he plays us for the Jets or Bills, but we make all their QB's look good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:11 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

apatos13 wrote:
jammer wrote:
They have Lynch, why wouldn't they take the most impactfull player they can to make a run at it? it isn't like Keenum is the reason they lost. Otherwise why sign him?

Quote:
yes, and Dennis Green is doing what now? Miami should have listened to me and drafted him last year, just like they should go all in on Mayfield if they can. I'd say he'll make us regret it every time he plays us for the Jets or Bills, but we make all their QB's look good.

Well, Denis Green is dead for one thing but you get a pass because you probably didn't know. And I'm not disagreeing on Mayfield, he could be a star. I just don't think he's a Day 1 starter pushing Miami to the playoffs it will take a season, maybe two to adjust.

As for Paxton Lynch, Denver wouldn't be working out other QBs if they felt he was the answer. I wouldn't be shocked if he was shopped or release should Denver land a big time QB...

Speaking of, the Giants just traded JPP to the Bucs. This opens up a need for DE. Cleveland has all but sewn up Sam Darnold as the first overall pick. If the Giants and Denver strike a deal then the Giants win either way at 5 because Bradley Chubb or Minkah Fitzpatrick will be there (Fitzpatrick replaces Eli Apple).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:29 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

My guess on Top 11 as of now:

Cleveland - Sam Darnold

New York - Saquon Barkley

New York - Baker Mayfield

Buffalo (via trade) - Josh Allen

Denver (or trade from Arizona) - Josh Rosen

Indianapolis - Bradley Chubb

Tampa Bay - Quenton Nelson

Chicago - Minkah Fitzpatrick

San Francisco - Tremaine Edmunds

Oakland - Denzel Ward

Miami - Roquan Smith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:51 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
My guess on Top 11 as of now:

Cleveland - Sam Darnold

New York - Saquon Barkley

New York - Baker Mayfield

Buffalo (via trade) - Josh Allen

Denver (or trade from Arizona) - Josh Rosen

Indianapolis - Bradley Chubb

Tampa Bay - Quenton Nelson

Chicago - Minkah Fitzpatrick

San Francisco - Tremaine Edmunds

Oakland - Denzel Ward

Miami - Roquan Smith

I'd be ecstatic with that. But...

Quote:
Benjamin Allbright

@AllbrightNFL
Guessing today...

1. Browns - Darnold
2. Giants - Chubb
3. Jets - Allen
4. Browns - Trade back w/ Buffalo who takes Rosen
5. Broncos - Nelson or Mayfield

1:53 PM - Mar 22, 2018

If Barkley or Fitzpatrick falls, would you trade up to get them?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:15 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

apatos13 wrote:

No. I'm not trading up for anyone other than a franchise changing QB. Only way I'm trading for Fitzpatrick is if it is 2 or 3 positions ahead and costs me a future 4th.

If you're going off of Albright assessment it should be noted he sees Barkley slipping and has a Felix Jones comp on him. Not saying I agree, but if that scenario is accurate then he isn't worth dealing up for if he slips.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:03 pm 

I have played this out a bunch of times, and here is what I think.

1. I don't believe Denver or Indianapolis will take a QB in the first round. I have read multiple reports that lead me to think that way, and as always, it's hard to know what's smoke screen and what isn't.

2. IF that is true, then the real possibility is that a Mayfield may well fall to us at 11 unless Buffalo or Arizona trade up. Even then, it could be that both of them would need to do so to keep a QB from falling to us. Which one falls?

3. That said, I think it is more likely that all of the players I would most covet with our #11 pick will be gone. Those being Darnold, Mayfield, Smith, Edmunds, Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, Fitzpatrick and James. If that's true I guess I'd be ok taking whichever DT they like better, or trading back to hopefully get another 2nd.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:11 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
apatos13 wrote:

No. I'm not trading up for anyone other than a franchise changing QB. Only way I'm trading for Fitzpatrick is if it is 2 or 3 positions ahead and costs me a future 4th.

If you're going off of Albright assessment it should be noted he sees Barkley slipping and has a Felix Jones comp on him. Not saying I agree, but if that scenario is accurate then he isn't worth dealing up for if he slips.

Nope, I'm just trying to read the tea leaves. Gase doesn't like to run, he wants to pass so Barkley would be a waste to draft, let alone move up for. But another team might if the 4 qb's go in the first 5 rounds.

Personally, I'd like to draft Smith or James, and then see if we could move from 2-10 to the end of the first round to draft Payne or Taven Bryan (say give up one of our 4ths, and a 2nd next year), then hope against all hope a TE drops to us in round 3.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:49 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

k-dash wrote:
I have played this out a bunch of times, and here is what I think.

3. That said, I think it is more likely that all of the players I would most covet with our #11 pick will be gone. Those being Darnold, Mayfield, Smith, Edmunds, Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, Fitzpatrick and James. If that's true I guess I'd be ok taking whichever DT they like better, or trading back to hopefully get another 2nd.

I don't think that all of your coveted players will be gone. I predict that the first six picks will be, in some order, the four QBs, Barkley, and Chubb. The next four picks will certainly include Fitzpatrick and Nelson. In this scenario, one of Edmunds, Smith, or James (as well as Denzel Ward) will be available at #11.

If we can't get one of the LBs, Nelson, or Mayfield, I will be quite disappointed. Reluctantly, then, I guess I would trade down about fives spots and select either Payne or Vea.

Why are you so high on James? I don't know much about him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:36 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
I'm not trading up for anyone other than a franchise changing QB.

:yay:

No one is ever 100% on who will turn out to be a franchise quarterback, but sometimes you have to make your best evaluation and pull the trigger.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:39 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
jammer wrote:
I'm not trading up for anyone other than a franchise changing QB.

:yay:

No one is ever 100% on who will turn out to be a franchise quarterback, but sometimes you have to make your best evaluation and pull the trigger.

On that note, it would not surprise me to see Miami trade back into the 2nd Round to grab a QB Gase likes. Let's say they take Roquan Smith in Round 1, Mike Gesicki in Round 2, and then package a 3rd (9th overall) and 4th (23rd overall) for a late 2nd to grab one of Kyle Lauletta, Mike White, Luke Falk or maybe even Mason Rudolph if he falls.

I can see that being a bit more realistic than trading up high in the first round. I think Miami might have to give up first rounders next year and the following to outbid what Buffalo can currently offer.

Its now being said that the Jets are setting their sights on Josh Rosen.

I'm going to laugh if all of this turn out to be for nothing and every QB slips except for Darnold.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:41 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I'm going to laugh if all of this turn out to be for nothing and every QB slips except for Darnold.

What would be really funny is if Miami pulled off the smokescreen of a lifetime here to get the Jets to take Allen or Mayfield so Rosen drops to us. The qb that Buffalo covets. We call them up and say we're taking him unless you give us 1-21 and 2-21. Reluctantly they do and we draft Smith and Payne.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:15 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

apatos13 wrote:
jammer wrote:

What would be really funny is if Miami pulled off the smokescreen of a lifetime here to get the Jets to take Allen or Mayfield so Rosen drops to us. The qb that Buffalo covets. We call them up and say we're taking him unless you give us 1-21 and 2-21. Reluctantly they do and we draft Smith and Payne.

Even if you got them to flip the 2nd Rounder to move up one spot that would be an awesome move.

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]