All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:38 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10193
Location: MA
Free agency is rolling along and from what we're told Miami is not done making moves. The only targeted name I'm aware of in free agency is TE Ed Dickson, but he's visiting multiple teams. He would primarily be a blocking TE.

The roster is as follows (minus some guys who won't realistically be on the 53)

QB - Ryan Tannehill, David Fales

RB - Kenyan Drake, Senorise Perry

WR - Kenny Stills, Devante Parker, Albert Wilson, Danny Amendola, Jakeem Grant, Leonte Carroo, Isaiah Ford

TE - AJ Derby, Marquise Gray

OT - Laremy Tunsil, JaWuan James, Eric Smith, Sam Young (almost re-signed)

OG - Josh Sitton, Ted Larsen, Jesse Davis, Isaac Asiata

OC - Dan Kilgore, Jake Brendel

DT - Jordan Phillips, Davon Godchaux, Vincent Taylor

DE - Cam Wake, Robert Quinn, Andre Branch, William Hayes (DT as well), Charles Harris

LB - Kiko Alonso, Raekwon McMillan, Stephone Anthony, Chase Allen, Mike Hull

CB - Xavien Howard, Cordrea Tankersley, Bobby McCain, Tony Lippett, Torry McTyer, Taveze Calhoun

S - Reshad Jones, TJ McDonald, Walt Aikens, Maurice Smith

ST - John Denney, Matt Haak

The easiest holes to pinpoint are backup QB, RB depth, starting TE, DT depth, LB depth and K.

It is possible Miami re-signs Damien Williams not that they have some extra cash. As I mentioned in another thread, I still see JaWuan James as a trade candidate because Sam Young played well and Jesse Davis can kick out to RT. James won't sign a long term deal and his cap figure is very high at $9 million. If he is not dealth for a Day 2/3 pick by a team who misses out on an early OT then maybe he is flipped for a TE or DT on an expiring contract. I don't expect Miami to spend big money on LB or DT at this time.

The draft nugget I'm really starting to buy is a DT with the 11th pick. Zatrex mentioned Daron Payne from Alabama and he is as good as advertised. Another option could be Vita Vea from Washington. The Ryan Tannehill restructure solidifies him as a starter in 2018 and I think Miami pushed for it because they know they didn't have the ammo to trade ahead of teams looking at the top QB prospects. It is entirely possible they hope Roquan Smith falls to them but this looks like a good draft to get LBs on Day 3 who can be rotational players as rookies. Payne or Vea are guys who can soften the pain of losing Suh.

The surprise name at 11 - RB Derrius Guice. I know I know, why draft a RB in Round 1? When you look at how Todd Gurley, Ezekiel Elliot and Leonard Fournette have changed their respective offenses you realize that RB can be as dangerous a weapon as any WR in today's NFL. Its not the old ground and pound of 15 years ago, but rather multipurpose position that is your best bet of finding the end zone. Guice is not only a gifted runner but a very good receiver. A backfield of him and Kenyan Drake could give defensive coordinators fits in terms of zone read, play action and splitting out to bunch in receiver sets. Adam Gase is going to look for the player to fit his offense, not just a hole to plug. Credit Armando Salguero with tipping us off that Miami really, really like Guice.

Miami is going to draft a TE, or at least I'm 98.9% sure they will. The do-it-all guy I think they target is Ian Thomas from Indiana. Some draft gurus think he is going much higher than they early Day 3 grade he was given. Miami has also been linked to Hayden Hurst from South Carolina. For pure seam threats with limited blocking skills you Mike Gesicki from Penn State and Mark Andrews from Oklahoma. Both Day 2 options and very gifted receivers. A forgotten option is Troy Fumagili from Wisconsin. He is a very solid, do-it-all type who could be a nice Plan B if they can't get Thomas.

LB and S sort of go together here. Omar Kelly has mentioned TJ McDonald shifting down to coverage LB. At 6'2 223LBs here certainly fits the mold and we have video evidence of his ability to take on RBs. He'd also be a huge improvement over the LBs who need to cover TEs. If Miami makes this transition then keep an eye on Derwin James at pick 11. He could also play that role but seems to have the speed to play FS for Miami. Another FS option would be Jessie Bates of Wake Forest who will be a 2nd Rounder. If Miami keeps McDonald at S then see my previous comment about a Day 3 LB. Dorian O'Daniel from Clemson seems to be exactly the type of speedy, coverage LB that Miami needs. Another Option could be Jerome Baker from Ohio State who could rejoin old teammate Raekwon McMillan. Shaun Dion Hamilton from Alabama, Skai Moore from South Carolina, and Micah Kiser from Virgina are a few other Day 3 names.

Ok, now what you've all been waiting for = QB. Miami has not been shy about their love for Baker Mayfield. According to Ben Albirght (who's track record has been phenomenal this offseason), Mayfield will be gone in the top 5 picks. Denver seems to be hot for him as he's the perfect guy to take the reins from Case Keenum in a year or so. Josh Rosen is rumored to be a guy Miami likes as well, but his passing skill set as nearly as good as any QB we've seen drafted in the last decade. His attitude, durability and mobility leave a lot to be desired. Alas, he is also predicted to go no later than 6th to the Jets (don't buy their 1 year deals for McCown and Bridgewater as reasons to skip an early QB). Sam Darnold will probably be the 1st or 2nd pick, and Buffalo has accumulated the ammo to move up and draft their darling Josh Allen. So what is Miami to do?

They have met with Mason Rudolph from Oklahoma State, Lamar Jackson from Louisville, Mike White from Western Kentucky, Luke Falk from Washington State and Kyle Lauletta from Richmond. All of these guys are predicted to be drafted in Rounds 2 through 4. I think Lamar Jackson could be a surprise pick for Miami if he is there in Round 2 but with the QB feeding frenzy I see teams trading into the late 1st Round for both Jackson and Rudolph. I personally think Miami's 3rd Round pick will be spent on either Mike White or Kyle Lauletta. Both are projected as good backups who can be groomed into starters. If not for his concussion history and Fales-like arm strength Falk could be a 1st Round pick. There is word that his arm is much stronger than it showed on tape (which he fixed with mechanics) and if true he will go Round 2. Otherwise I could see him as a last resort option for Miami in Round 4. Two other names to watch are Chase Litton from Marshall and Kyle Allen from Houston. Both are raw and have big arms. They could be 6th Round options as replacements for Brandon Doughty.

That's it for now. I'll have more as the rumors keep coming in.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:41 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 10068
Location: Fargo, ND
I think Lamar Jackson would be a wasted pick.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:50 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10193
Location: MA
Phin wrote:
I think Lamar Jackson would be a wasted pick.


Maybe. But if Tannehill went down he might be the type who could win some games with his legs and some vertical throws. I'm not sold on him as a guy you groom to be a starter, but he could be an exciting backup who helps.

My guess is still Mike White.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:23 am 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:55 pm
Posts: 1082
Nice writeup, Jammer. Appreciate it, but...
Could you please stop trying to get rid of James? They finally do something about the line and you're already trying to wreck it. Jeez.

Payne is probably their main target, and they also like Sony Michel who I think they should be able to grab at 2-10, if not TE. In the third round they'll have to grab Lauretta or White, which may mean losing out on one of the premier TE's if Michel falls to them. Don't rule out CB at 1-10. They're still looking for a shutdown CB.

A couple of players I'd like to see them grab if they're there. Shaquill Griffin, LB would epitomize the type of player they want in round 4. Braxton Berrios is a favorite of mine in round 6 or 7. Really smart, could be the next Wes Walker.

I do believe their love affair with Mayfield is over. They stood him up for dinner. Hopefully Cleveland takes him. It'll be hard to take the crouch grabs and flag plants if the Jets do.

I don't know where they are cap wise, but I'd like them to look at Eric Reid for saftey.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:35 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10193
Location: MA
apatos13 wrote:
Nice writeup, Jammer. Appreciate it, but...
Could you please stop trying to get rid of James? They finally do something about the line and you're already trying to wreck it. Jeez.

Payne is probably their main target, and they also like Sony Michel who I think they should be able to grab at 2-10, if not TE. In the third round they'll have to grab Lauretta or White, which may mean losing out on one of the premier TE's if Michel falls to them. Don't rule out CB at 1-10. They're still looking for a shutdown CB.

A couple of players I'd like to see them grab if they're there. Shaquill Griffin, LB would epitomize the type of player they want in round 4. Braxton Berrios is a favorite of mine in round 6 or 7. Really smart, could be the next Wes Walker.

I do believe their love affair with Mayfield is over. They stood him up for dinner. Hopefully Cleveland takes him. It'll be hard to take the crouch grabs and flag plants if the Jets do.

I don't know where they are cap wise, but I'd like them to look at Eric Reid for saftey.


The James thing is just me connecting the dots. They seem to be purging guys who aren't "cooperating" with contracts. James wouldn't sign an extension but certainly carries trade value. Miami has been linked to OT Tyrell Crosby from Washington by multiple media guys as a James replacement.

A guy on Twitter, who is hit or miss with his info, stated Miami loves Mike Gesicki. Take that for what its worth but he's probably a 2nd Rounder.

As for cap space, I believe Miami is currently $8 million below with another $17 million coming on June 1st.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:55 pm
Posts: 1082
jammer wrote:
A guy on Twitter, who is hit or miss with his info, stated Miami loves Mike Gesicki. Take that for what its worth but he's probably a 2nd Rounder.

As for cap space, I believe Miami is currently $8 million below with another $17 million coming on June 1st.


I'd be happy with Gesicki, Goedert or Andrews at #2. if they're really as in love with Payne as they claim, it's possible to move down, get an extra 2nd rounder and still get him.

Good news on the salary cap, unless you're a Tanehill hater. We still money to spend a player with money that rolls over to next year or can be used in emergency.

And yes apatos is zatrex


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:15 pm 
Offline
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:47 pm
Posts: 422
Even with the knee trouble, I still like UMass TE Adam Brenneman in the later rounds.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 1195
Location: Hagerstown, MD
TE LB and DT are glaring holes. RB depth as well. On the whole this team looks sturdy and deep. But there isn't a lot of star power anymore. Maybe that's a good thing? I think Adam Gase wants more team ball.

LB TE DT RB QB. I hope those are our rounds 1-4. Adam Gase NEEDS a good TE in his offense. And LB is the other huge NEED. So I think those should be rounds 1 and 2 depending on bpa at those positions. Rounds 3-4 you get you Kyle White type a space eater at DT and a RB.

I wouldn't be upset if Miami traded back and picked up another 2nd rounder. Then drafted the top TE in later round 1.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 5943
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
I see no stars. Just players. Sort of like the first NE super bowl team.
Liking the culture change. What worries me a bit is that 2 years in this regime has set the culture.

_________________
GASE IS ON THE CASE!!! 2017 , 2018 , 2019 SB CHAMPIONS.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:26 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10193
Location: MA
jgod1 wrote:
Even with the knee trouble, I still like UMass TE Adam Brenneman in the later rounds.


He actually retired the other day due to injury. It was the second time he has done so for that reason. Kind of a sad story. I grew up next to UMass so I always root for their players to make it in the NFL.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:01 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 2799
With the sorry lot of backup QBs currently available out there (and thank GOODNESS Henne signed with the Chiefs) I have to think that we will either trade for a veteran backkup after the draft if we don't take a developmental guy in the early to mid rounds.

I really hope we draft a QB.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:04 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 2799
hypocritex wrote:
TE LB and DT are glaring holes. RB depth as well. On the whole this team looks sturdy and deep. But there isn't a lot of star power anymore. Maybe that's a good thing? I think Adam Gase wants more team ball.

LB TE DT RB QB. I hope those are our rounds 1-4. Adam Gase NEEDS a good TE in his offense. And LB is the other huge NEED. So I think those should be rounds 1 and 2 depending on bpa at those positions. Rounds 3-4 you get you Kyle White type a space eater at DT and a RB.

I wouldn't be upset if Miami traded back and picked up another 2nd rounder. Then drafted the top TE in later round 1.


Good post. I like your plan, but I could see a DT in round 1 if they love the guy, pushing LB to the 2nd round and TE to the 3rd. QB has to happen, but might have to happen in the 2nd or 3rd to get a guy they like.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:25 pm 
Offline
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:47 pm
Posts: 422
That stinks about Brenneman. He sounds exactly like the type of player Gase wants on offense.

Now I'd like to see Braxton Berrios drafted. Sounds like the same type of guy as Brenneman.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:43 pm
Posts: 878
Herb Brooks beat the Russians with a bunch of college kids, so a team full of blue collar workmen can be successful here too. All falls on the coach

_________________
Miami Dolphins, Fist Pump Like Champions in 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016!
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:29 am 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 8:54 am
Posts: 47
jammer wrote:

The surprise name at 11 - RB Derrius Guice. I know I know, why draft a RB in Round 1?

Miami is going to draft a TE, or at least I'm 98.9% sure they will.
For pure seam threats with limited blocking skills you Mike Gesicki from Penn State ...

LB and S sort of go together here.

trading into the late 1st Round for both Jackson and Rudolph. I personally think Miami's 3rd Round pick will be spent on either Mike White or Kyle Lauletta. Both are projected as good backups who can be groomed into starters.


I like Guice, but 11 seems very high, given that one of the top tier LB or CB is going to be available in that spot. However, I don't think he will fall out of the top 20.

I also like Gesecki. Is 2nd round too high for him? I agree with you about the 3rd round QB.

My wish list: I would be happy with Roquain Smith in the first (unless Quenton Nelson drops to us -- we need quality and depth on the OL), Gesecki in the second (unless Guice drops), and Lauletta in the third.

We have too many defensive ends right now, though. It would be nice if we could trade one for a solid linebacker. Right now we are banking too much on McMillan, who is unproven.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:46 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 2799
I keep reading that the Dolphins are interested in Demarco Murray. I hate that idea. He's over 30 and will be expensive. We've already demonstrated the ability to draft good running backs. Draft a guy like Bo Scarborough, or even a Kaylen Ballage later in the draft to compliment Drake. Save our $$.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:54 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 2799
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2018/03/17/2018-nfl-free-agents-how-would-demarco-murray-fit-with-dolphins/

I'd be ok with this I guess...

Quote:
If the Dolphins were able to secure Murray with a deal in the range of $3.5-$5.0 million per season, it could be beneficial to both team and player and provide Murray an opportunity to extend his career in a good situation.


But I'd still rather draft one.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:17 pm 
Offline
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:47 pm
Posts: 422
RB seems to be the ONE position the Dolphins front office can evaluate properly.

Can't see spending $5M on a player that looked like he was running with rubber boots on all last year. If they go that route, hopefully its just a 1-year deal.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:20 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 2799
This is interesting about Murray, from Twitter. Matt Cannata retweeted it from @jwyattsports, senior writer covering the Titans.

Quote:
In his two seasons with the @Titans, @DeMarcoMurray helped change the culture in the locker room at Saint Thomas Sports Park. He held teammates accountable, and showed leadership and professionalism with his work ethic and approach.


If the $ is right, I wouldn't hate it as much as I originally thought. Great at pass pro and can be a mentor.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:55 pm
Posts: 1082
k-dash wrote:
This is interesting about Murray, from Twitter. Matt Cannata retweeted it from @jwyattsports, senior writer covering the Titans.

Quote:
In his two seasons with the @Titans, @DeMarcoMurray helped change the culture in the locker room at Saint Thomas Sports Park. He held teammates accountable, and showed leadership and professionalism with his work ethic and approach.


If the $ is right, I wouldn't hate it as much as I originally thought. Great at pass pro and can be a mentor.


I'd agree with you, I'm not wild about signing this guy when I'm sure we can resign Damien Williams back on the cheap. But, if brings that leadership to lockeroom, then yes, that's worth some extra money. Culture and leadership has been a huge problem that needs to be fixed and kudos to the FO for seeing that.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:33 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10193
Location: MA
prof123 wrote:
jammer wrote:

The surprise name at 11 - RB Derrius Guice. I know I know, why draft a RB in Round 1?

Miami is going to draft a TE, or at least I'm 98.9% sure they will.
For pure seam threats with limited blocking skills you Mike Gesicki from Penn State ...

LB and S sort of go together here.

trading into the late 1st Round for both Jackson and Rudolph. I personally think Miami's 3rd Round pick will be spent on either Mike White or Kyle Lauletta. Both are projected as good backups who can be groomed into starters.


I like Guice, but 11 seems very high, given that one of the top tier LB or CB is going to be available in that spot. However, I don't think he will fall out of the top 20.

I also like Gesecki. Is 2nd round too high for him? I agree with you about the 3rd round QB.

My wish list: I would be happy with Roquain Smith in the first (unless Quenton Nelson drops to us -- we need quality and depth on the OL), Gesecki in the second (unless Guice drops), and Lauletta in the third.

We have too many defensive ends right now, though. It would be nice if we could trade one for a solid linebacker. Right now we are banking too much on McMillan, who is unproven.


Unless Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield unexpectedly slip to 11 I'd say my number 1 hope is Derwin James. He seems like a difference maker on defense and can handle several roles.

I'm not necessarily in support of drafting Guice that early, just trying to see if I can guess the reasoning behind it. I would much rather see James, Roquan Smith or either Daron Payne or Vita Vea.

As for Gesicki, if he is a guy he can haul in 7 to 10 TDs as a Red Zone threat then 2nd Round is great value. He is not a blocking TE. I'd feel better if Miami inked a veteran who could help with the ground game if they take Gesicki that high. The name I keep reading is Ian Thomas.

I'd have no problem with Lauletta but Mike White seems to have the bigger arm and his name is continually circulated in draft talk. It is similar to when Kenyan Drake was being talked about as the perfect 3rd Round fit for Gase's offense.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:56 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 2799
Assuming Mayfield and Darnold are gone, I would be totally happy with Edmunds or Smith, Payne or Vea, or Derwin James at 11, and most likely at least a couple of those guys will be there. If we were to trade back later in the 1st and get one of them or Guice or maybe a top O-lineman while picking up another second I'd be okay with that too.

I have read that the team is not particularly high on taking a linebacker in the first round, which bothers me.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 6664
FINesse wrote:
I see no stars. Just players. Sort of like the first NE super bowl team.
Liking the culture change. What worries me a bit is that 2 years in this regime has set the culture.

James Asiata and Tunsil we're all great draft day steals...The stars are aligning and with this star studded line we now have Tannehill is going to break his 30 td drought.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 6664
Ajayi and Landry were too expensive..But hey Murray at 5 million per is a steal at 30. He can be another much needed mentor for Tunsil and crew.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:39 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 2799
Marcedes Lewis, anyone?


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5834
Location: Wellington, FL
Kev1321 wrote:
Ajayi and Landry were too expensive..But hey Murray at 5 million per is a steal at 30. He can be another much needed mentor for Tunsil and crew.


Ajayi was too expensive? I must have missed that report....

And yes, 15 mil annual is a bit steep for Landry regardless of how well he plays as far as I am concerned

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 6664
Landry could have been had the past two years for alot less than 15 million...It's a mistake letting him go no matter how you look at it..

Murray at 5 million is crazy.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5834
Location: Wellington, FL
Kev1321 wrote:
Landry could have been had the past two years for alot less than 15 million...It's a mistake letting him go no matter how you look at it..

Murray at 5 million is crazy.


I have heard that as well, not from anyone official, its is what people think would have happened "if" we had done it then.

Murray at 5 mil is steep, did we give him a contract? Everything I am reading says he left without one.......

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:41 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 2799
10acjed wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
Landry could have been had the past two years for alot less than 15 million...It's a mistake letting him go no matter how you look at it..

Murray at 5 million is crazy.


I have heard that as well, not from anyone official, its is what people think would have happened "if" we had done it then.

Murray at 5 mil is steep, did we give him a contract? Everything I am reading says he left without one.......


No, he left w/o a contract.
I'm not sure Landry was ever going to come back for less than 15. I too wish they had locked him up earlier, but this year's FA money is ridonculous.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6210
Landry could not have been had the last two years for less if I understand the collective bargaining agreement correctly. This past year yes but it was the first year he could be offered I think.

During the first three years of a rookies contract another contract can not be offered. Only in the fourth year can that be done if a team wants to if memeory servers.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:55 pm
Posts: 1082
AQNOR wrote:
Landry could not have been had the last two years for less if I understand the collective bargaining agreement correctly. This past year yes but it was the first year he could be offered I think.

During the first three years of a rookies contract another contract can not be offered. Only in the fourth year can that be done if a team wants to if memeory servers.


I think you're right, not that it matters. Landry feels like he's a top receiver and wanted paid as if he is a one. This was always going to end this way, and I for one am happy we didn't pay him that. Because the simple truth is he's not. I don't know how our off season moves are going to work, or what numbers Landry will put up with Cleveland, but I strongly feel we need to get Gase the guys he wants to run the offense he wants. We need a definitive answer on Gase this season. Though QB killed our season in 2017 and earned him a pass, this is the season he needs to prove himself. Even if something should happen to Tannehill, Gase has had all off season to make a move so it doesn't depend on just Tannehill. No more excuses.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:03 am 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 6664
Good possibility Landry is a HOF player..... Worth alot to a team to put on it's ring of honor.. Not too mention what he brings to the feild. So let's not down play that because he is gone..

I know I know.... We still have the stud 17 and with him at such low pay(taking one for the team) we will still contend for a title as usual.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:22 am 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 8:54 am
Posts: 47
Kev1321 wrote:
Good possibility Landry is a HOF player..... Worth alot to a team to put on it's ring of honor.. Not too mention what he brings to the feild. So let's not down play that because he is gone..

I know I know.... We still have the stud 17 and with him at such low pay(taking one for the team) we will still contend for a title as usual.


I am relatively new here, so maybe I've missed something. What title are we contending for, as usual?


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:23 am 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6210
apatos13 wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
Landry could not have been had the last two years for less if I understand the collective bargaining agreement correctly. This past year yes but it was the first year he could be offered I think.

During the first three years of a rookies contract another contract can not be offered. Only in the fourth year can that be done if a team wants to if memeory servers.


I think you're right, not that it matters. Landry feels like he's a top receiver and wanted paid as if he is a one. This was always going to end this way, and I for one am happy we didn't pay him that. Because the simple truth is he's not. I don't know how our off season moves are going to work, or what numbers Landry will put up with Cleveland, but I strongly feel we need to get Gase the guys he wants to run the offense he wants. We need a definitive answer on Gase this season. Though QB killed our season in 2017 and earned him a pass, this is the season he needs to prove himself. Even if something should happen to Tannehill, Gase has had all off season to make a move so it doesn't depend on just Tannehill. No more excuses.


In this particular instance it matters a bit imo about the front office.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:37 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 2799
AQNOR wrote:
apatos13 wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
Landry could not have been had the last two years for less if I understand the collective bargaining agreement correctly. This past year yes but it was the first year he could be offered I think.

During the first three years of a rookies contract another contract can not be offered. Only in the fourth year can that be done if a team wants to if memeory servers.


I think you're right, not that it matters. Landry feels like he's a top receiver and wanted paid as if he is a one. This was always going to end this way, and I for one am happy we didn't pay him that. Because the simple truth is he's not. I don't know how our off season moves are going to work, or what numbers Landry will put up with Cleveland, but I strongly feel we need to get Gase the guys he wants to run the offense he wants. We need a definitive answer on Gase this season. Though QB killed our season in 2017 and earned him a pass, this is the season he needs to prove himself. Even if something should happen to Tannehill, Gase has had all off season to make a move so it doesn't depend on just Tannehill. No more excuses.


In this particular instance it matters a bit imo about the front office.
We re-signed Sam Young today. That's a good depth move.


Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6210
k-dash wrote:
We re-signed Sam Young today. That's a good depth move.


Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk


I agree and like that move.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 1195
Location: Hagerstown, MD
I can see Miami moving up for a QB to 6 if the price is reasonable. However, I think it's going to be a Safety or a LB at 11. TE is a must in round 2. And I wouldn't be opposed if the QBs are all gone to trading back 5-10 spots. Pick up another 2nd or 3rd rounder. Drafting a guy like Payne in round 1.. Or even the best available TE. Then potentially looking at two picks in the second round. Where the other two big needs can be addressed.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:09 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 8:54 am
Posts: 47
hypocritex wrote:
I can see Miami moving up for a QB to 6 if the price is reasonable. However, I think it's going to be a Safety or a LB at 11. TE is a must in round 2. And I wouldn't be opposed if the QBs are all gone to trading back 5-10 spots. Pick up another 2nd or 3rd rounder. Drafting a guy like Payne in round 1.. Or even the best available TE. Then potentially looking at two picks in the second round. Where the other two big needs can be addressed.


Yeah, that could be a good scenario. For me, though, if a QB drops to us at 11, and we don't want one there, we should drop down a few slots and still draft a DT (Payne or Vea). Then with the extra 2nd round pick, if in the second round we could get two players from among Gesicki, Goedert, Vander Esh (LB), and Rudolph (QB), I'd be happy.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:51 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 2799
I'm starting to doubt that Rudolph makes it to the 2nd round.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:33 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10193
Location: MA
k-dash wrote:
I'm starting to doubt that Rudolph makes it to the 2nd round.


That would be awesome if he didn't. A good prospect gets pushed into the 2nd Round while some team reaches for Rudolph. Only helps Miami.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r