View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Dolphins counting on Rookie OLB Koa Misi to start 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins counting on Rookie OLB Koa Misi to start
RotoWorld wrote:
Rookie Koa Misi "spent all offseason" working as the Dolphins' starting strong-side outside linebacker.

The 40th overall pick in April, Misi is clearly being counted on to win the first-team position opposite the competition of Charlie Anderson, Quentin Moses, and Cameron Wake. At LOLB, Misi's primary responsibilities will include dropping into coverage and keeping containment on the strong side. The ROLB, in 3-4 defenses like the Dolphins', is typically a better bet for sacks.

www.rotoworld.com

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:42 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Dolphins counting on Rookie OLB Koa Misi to start
Quote:
ESPN's Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson, a former Browns scout:

"Koa Misi has upside, but rarely do you see 3-4 conversion guys come in and light it up. I would have kept Jason Taylor.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/07/1 ... start.html

Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:47 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

So are they saying he's going to win the ROLB or LOLB spot???

Preferably the one where he rushes a lot... he was a force rushing the QB in college and I don't quite remember reading anything on him having pristine coverage skills.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:54 am
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

IamPZ wrote:

Preferably the one where he rushes a lot... he was a force rushing the QB in college and I don't quite remember reading anything on him having pristine coverage skills.

Koa Misi? No dude, quite the opposite. He's not really that good of a pass rusher, but terrific in coverage and against the run. He's working at LOLB...kind of like our Matt Roth.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:16 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Koa Misi? No dude, quite the opposite. He's not really that good of a pass rusher, but terrific in coverage and against the run. He's working at LOLB...kind of like our Matt Roth.

:yay: Correct.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:19 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Yessir. Though, almost everything I've heard about his pass rushing in camps has been positive too. But, if you watch his Senior Bowl footage. You can really see him shine in coverage, in space and against the run. He didn't get many opportunities to rush the passer at the SB. I think Misi is going to end up being a BIGTIME player for us.

Last edited by hypocritex on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:58 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The Dolphins also drafted him because they thought they could turn him into a good pass rusher. Since we lost our best 2 pass rushers, I think a lot of the media is focused on "how will the Dolphins generate a pass rush from the outside?" and since we traded down in the draft bypassing a good pass rusher at #12, they are thinking that Misi must be the answer.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Hmm... maybe I'm thinking of someone else? Could've sworn those Youtube videos that were posted on draft day showed mostly Misi rushing... could be wrong, my memory isn't always the best.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:45 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

IamPZ wrote:

Preferably the one where he rushes a lot... he was a force rushing the QB in college jordans and I don't quite remember reading anything on him having pristine coverage skills.

Yea me either. I guess we'll just have to wait to see how he performs.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:01 am

IamPZ wrote:
Hmm... maybe I'm thinking of someone else? Could've sworn those Youtube videos that were posted on draft day showed mostly Misi rushing... could be wrong, my memory isn't always the best.

They probably are mostly of him rushing. That's just not what he does best. He's crafty, but he's just not a real good natural pass rusher. Awesome in coverage and against the run as well. I'm a little worried that he might get pushed around against the run at times against the Damien Woody's and Vernon Carey-RT-types of the NFL, but I think his quickness will be too much for most of those guys to handle most of the time.

He's unbelievably strong for his size too. I remember watching the senior bowl and on a running play he went up 1v1 against a 300+# guard. The guy is playing at 245 pounds, so I'm expecting him to get drilled as the OG is coming up with momentum. Instead Koa knocked him right on his a$$ stuffing the run.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]