Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Post subject: Albert Wilson
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:59 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Apparently we're considered the front-runners to land him. WR from KC who posted career highs last season.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/03/dolphins-favorites-for-wr-albert-wilson

I don't know a lot about him. 5' 9" 200 lbs, 25 years old. According to PFF, he ranked 3rd in the NFL in forced missed tackles last year. Sounds like a slot receiver to me, or at least a partial solution, if we actually close the deal.

Post subject: Re: Albert Wilson
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:27 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

k-dash wrote:
Apparently we're considered the front-runners to land him. WR from KC who posted career highs last season.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/03/dolphins-favorites-for-wr-albert-wilson

I don't know a lot about him. 5' 9" 200 lbs, 25 years old. According to PFF, he ranked 3rd in the NFL in forced missed tackles last year. Sounds like a slot receiver to me, or at least a partial solution, if we actually close the deal.

Pretty much means they have zero confidence in Grant / Carroo moving forward if they sign Wilson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:31 pm 

No, IMO it means they want to replace Landry with a (somewhat) proven commodity rather than trusting in unknowns. I'm not opposed. As a matter of fact, if they sign him, it might even lower the need to spend a draft pick on a WR.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:42 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

He's smart. Gase wants smart players in this 'cleansing.'
It's taking the others too long to pick up his system. Supposedly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:33 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

k-dash wrote:
No, IMO it means they want to replace Landry with a (somewhat) proven commodity rather than trusting in unknowns. I'm not opposed. As a matter of fact, if they sign him, it might even lower the need to spend a draft pick on a WR.

I remember the day here when Miami fans did not trust Ajayi because he was an unknown commodity and how Miami needed to pony up all kinds of cash to keep Miller. In the NFL today, a team will not have a proven commodity at every position. BTW, Landry was not one back in 2014 and Miami did alright with him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:53 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Grant isn't a slot option, pure speed on the outside.

Carroo on the other hand is turning out to be a colossal draft blunder.

Wilson is also faster than Landry. I'm good with the move, especially if you don't have to pay $14 million per season for him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:57 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

zatrex99 wrote:
He's smart. Gase wants smart players in this 'cleansing.'
It's taking the others too long to pick up his system. Supposedly.

What system?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:59 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Jarvis who?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:59 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Another player with mediocre stats they can overpay. Exciting

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:14 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
4.3/4.4 speed and knows how to get open

Quote:
He was the 'QB' of the WR corps in KC. Near eidetic memory, smart, explosive.

We have a pretty ridiculously fast 4 set of WR's now.

Parker: 4.45
Stills: 4.38
Grant: 4.38
Wilson: 4.43

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:57 pm 

With 17 throwing the rock. Secondaries are shaking in their boots.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:57 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

:cry:

Reads like every other Phins signing the past several yrs.

From Walterfootball

Quote:
Dolphins sign WR Albert Wilson (3 years, $24 million): D Grade
Wow, this sure is a lot of money for a player who has never done anything. This was very close to earning a Millen grade, but there will be worse contracts signed this week, I promise you.

Albert Wilson has never topped more than 42 catches, 554 receiving yards or three touchdowns in a single season. Granted, he was paired with the limited Alex Smith, but we saw Tyreek Hill thrive with Smith. Wilson could never become a consistent threat in Kansas City, so it's unreasonable to expect him to do the same thing in Miami.

It's unclear what the Dolphins are doing. They dealt their best receiver, Jarvis Landry, for next to nothing, and they followed that up by signing a non-talent like Wilson to a deal worth $8 million per season. I don't understand what sort of strategy this is, but it can't possibly work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:35 pm 

Dphins4me wrote:
:cry:

Reads like every other Phins signing the past several yrs.

From Walterfootball

Quote:
Dolphins sign WR Albert Wilson (3 years, $24 million): D Grade
Wow, this sure is a lot of money for a player who has never done anything. This was very close to earning a Millen grade, but there will be worse contracts signed this week, I promise you.

Albert Wilson has never topped more than 42 catches, 554 receiving yards or three touchdowns in a single season. Granted, he was paired with the limited Alex Smith, but we saw Tyreek Hill thrive with Smith. Wilson could never become a consistent threat in Kansas City, so it's unreasonable to expect him to do the same thing in Miami.

It's unclear what the Dolphins are doing. They dealt their best receiver, Jarvis Landry, for next to nothing, and they followed that up by signing a non-talent like Wilson to a deal worth $8 million per season. I don't understand what sort of strategy this is, but it can't possibly work.
I read somewhere that in reality we traded Landry for a 2018 4th, a 2019 7th, Amendola and Wilson. That feels different than next to nothing. But what matters is what happens on the field and that 4th round pick. Too soon to judge.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:43 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Who the hell is his guy again?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:43 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:12 pm 

Makchell wrote:

He sucks?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:14 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

k-dash wrote:
[qu nothing. But what matters is what happens on the field and that 4th round pick. Too soon to judge.

Sorry, but not holding out hope that these guys will find something in Rd. 4. Outside a blind squirrel they have not hit on much.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:29 pm 

Ok, you're probably right. History would dictate that everything the Dolphins do, short of blind luck, will result in more mediocrity.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:33 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

k-dash wrote:
Ok, you're probably right. History would dictate that everything the Dolphins do, short of blind luck, will result in more mediocrity.

25 yrs and counting. 2018 will not be any different.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:44 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

k-dash wrote:
I read somewhere that in reality we traded Landry for a 2018 4th, a 2019 7th, Amendola and Wilson. That feels different than next to nothing. But what matters is what happens on the field and that 4th round pick. Too soon to judge.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

It looks better when you look at in this context:

Gase wants to run an up tempo, (quick) pass first, style off offense based on short passing. They want a QB, WRs, and RBs that will diagnose coverages pre-snap, and get the offense into the right play. They want a QB that will get the ball out of his hands and to the right receiver in < 2 seconds.

Miami has jettisoned a number of skill position guys that had trouble with the mental aspects of the game. Most of the WRs/RBs they are investing in are ones that are considered intelligent guys. The RBs they have liked are ones that excel in pass pro.

Works well in NE.

If it helps, KC and NE fans are pissed they lost both of these guys.

Last edited by apatos13 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:46 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

zatrex99 wrote:
It looks better when you look at in this context:

Gase wants to run an up tempo, (quick) pass first, style off offense based on short passing. They want a QB, WRs, and RBs that will diagnose coverages pre-snap, and get the offense into the right play. They want a QB that will get the ball out of his hands and to the right receiver in < 2 seconds.

Miami has jettisoned a number of skill position guys that had trouble with the mental aspects of the game. Most of the WRs/RBs they are investing in are ones that are considered intelligent guys. The RBs they have liked are ones that excel in pass pro.

Works well in NE.

Sounds like the Rams O from 1999-2002 with Warner / Faulk / Bruce / Holt. Huge difference in talent there though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:47 pm 

Actually, kinda reminds me of the Philly offense this year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:24 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

zatrex99 wrote:
k-dash wrote:

This sure sounds like a dink and dunk....matriculating down the field in 20 plays doesn't bode well in today's game, which lends itself to a down field passing game....plus, the way you describe this, re: pre-snap, it needs a QB like a Peyton Manning that is basically a machine out there, knowing exactly what the defense is doing and is calling the shots at the LOS pre-snap, you know, "Omaha!", "Omaha!!"....our boy I don't think knows yet where Omaha is much less how to get there.

Seriously, I can't wait to see if Gase actually has an offensive system, and I don't mean offensive as in "insulting", although up to now it has sometimes come across that way, I mean, does it work, does it exploit anything the defense is trying to do, is he able to dictate to the defense instead of the other way around. And the up tempo thing is frustrating to me: Gase's two camps so far have documented how they want to get out of the huddle fast, line up and execute the play, up tempo. But I haven't seen that in games. Last year Gase's hand picked guy, Cutler, supposedly a savvy veteran, would wind the play clock down to .5 seconds before snapping the ball, reading, making all kinds of gestures, had me thinking, "oh boy, he found something in the defense!", only to spike the ball into the ground when 20 rushers were in his face in < 2 sec.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:57 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He sucks?

LOL! I don't know who he is.....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:

This sure sounds like a dink and dunk....matriculating down the field in 20 plays doesn't bode well in today's game, which lends itself to a down field passing game....plus, the way you describe this, re: pre-snap, it needs a QB like a Peyton Manning that is basically a machine out there, knowing exactly what the defense is doing and is calling the shots at the LOS pre-snap, you know, "Omaha!", "Omaha!!"....our boy I don't think knows yet where Omaha is much less how to get there.

Seriously, I can't wait to see if Gase actually has an offensive system, and I don't mean offensive as in "insulting", although up to now it has sometimes come across that way, I mean, does it work, does it exploit anything the defense is trying to do, is he able to dictate to the defense instead of the other way around. And the up tempo thing is frustrating to me: Gase's two camps so far have documented how they want to get out of the huddle fast, line up and execute the play, up tempo. But I haven't seen that in games. Last year Gase's hand picked guy, Cutler, supposedly a savvy veteran, would wind the play clock down to .5 seconds before snapping the ball, reading, making all kinds of gestures, had me thinking, "oh boy, he found something in the defense!", only to spike the ball into the ground when 20 rushers were in his face in < 2 sec.

Okay, first of all I doubt you're allowed to say Omaha, let alone type it on a message board. Pretty sure Manning has the trademark on that one.

You're argument makes the case for signing players like Wilson and Amendola though, and getting rid of players like Landry. For two years Gase has wanted to implement this system but couldn't because the players couldn't run the system, they weren't smart enough. What you cited about Cutler and the play clock? That happens when your players aren't smart enough. How many times did you see Landry on the field last year looking to Cutler because he didn't know the play? Cutler could run the system, I'm sure Tannehill will have no problems running the system, but the other 10 players have to be on the same page. That's why they're doing what they're doing and next year you'll get to see them run the up-tempo offense.

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]