Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
 Post subject: Regarding Landry
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:52 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The biggest issue I have with this whole thing goes back to last year's signing of Jay Cutler. I have no doubt in my mind we could have gotten Landry under contract last year using the money we signed Cutler with. It's just another frustrating situation to be a dolphins fan and it's hard to watch another talented player leave the team, and for peanuts. With how this organizations going right now it would not surprise me if Tannehill is not our starting quarterback this year.

Post subject: Re: Regarding Landry
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:34 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Good points. I hope 17 is under center for us. With all the QB hype out there I still think he is as good as any. Coming back from his injury is very doable these days although his weapons seem to be diminished with these trades.
I think Gase and Tannenbaum are not on the same page and that is problem #1.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:23 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article204462849.html

Perspective.

Quote:
But make no mistake, Tannenbaum getting something for trading Jarivs Landry is way better than simply not using the franchise tag at all and letting Landry walk with no compensation in return.

That would have been a major loss.

This? It is not a loss at this stage.

And, this is going to freak you out, it might turn into a win.

Because the Dolphins might use that $16 million boon on a guard. Or a linebacker.

Or maybe even a guard and a linebacker. They might land three players on Wednesday, the first day of free agency, in part because Landry and his huge cap cost are gone.

I believe more big cuts are coming. What we do with the space and/or draft picks we accumulate will tell whether or not this move was good or bad. History is not on our side here, but I'm in wait and see mode again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:18 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

There is no silver lining when you are overpaying so many players and you can’t keep the few decent draft picks that you actually get. Make all the excuses you want but the dolphins are stuck with average overpaid players and couldn’t afford to keep their best. The front office can field nothing better than mediocrity at best. They just overpaid Branch last year and traded for Quinn this year. The franchise is not in good hands.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:11 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iceberg85 wrote:
The biggest issue I have with this whole thing goes back to last year's signing of Jay Cutler. I have no doubt in my mind we could have gotten Landry under contract last year using the money we signed Cutler with. It's just another frustrating situation to be a dolphins fan and it's hard to watch another talented player leave the team, and for peanuts. With how this organizations going right now it would not surprise me if Tannehill is not our starting quarterback this year.

This is spot on. Gase blew a bundle of cash to go 6-10 with a marginal player like Cutler but can't pay Landry? What message is he sending, perform and I'll trade you?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:28 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

NFLJunkie wrote:
Iceberg85 wrote:

This is spot on. Gase blew a bundle of cash to go 6-10 with a marginal player like Cutler but can't pay Landry? What message is he sending, perform and I'll trade you?

Yeah Moore could have gone 6-10. I am glad I am not the only one upset that they keep letting talented draft picks go. I think they will continue to be mediocre at best until Ross sells the team and they bring in people who can manage a cap and evaluate talent. Landry should have been locked down last year. Tannenbaum is horrible.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:09 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

The Phins gave Landry a very good offer @ $13M/yr........he wanted more. The Phins only received a 4th & 7th from one of the worst franchises in sports history. Apparently, there weren't a lot of bidders willing to meet his price.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:14 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

bobby0112 wrote:
Yeah Moore could have gone 6-10. I am glad I am not the only one upset that they keep letting talented draft picks go. I think they will continue to be mediocre at best until Ross sells the team and they bring in people who can manage a cap and evaluate talent. Landry should have been locked down last year. Tannenbaum is horrible.

Slot WR do not make 13 million, much less 16.. Miami should be able to fill that void easily.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:06 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Dphins4me wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:

Slot WR do not make 13 million, much less 16.. Miami should be able to fill that void easily.

What an idiotic thing to say. Hey genius how many slot receivers have averaged 100 catches and a 1000 yards every year the last 4 years. “Easy” he says

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:44 pm 

While it will not be easy to fill that void with just one player, Dphins4me is absolutely right in saying that slot receivers don't make that in the NFL. Pro Football Focus rated Landry the 5th best slot receiver in the NFL for 2017. The best one was Doug Baldwin, and he made less than 12 million a year according to Over the Cap.

Landry has been very good. He is what he is, and what he is does not get paid 13 million a year, much less 16 million a year in the league, by anyone except the Browns.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:11 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

The last 2 receivers the Browns got from the Phins didn't pan out too well.

Brian Hartline........one and done. Davon Bess.......one and done plus multiple arrests.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:39 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Dphins4me wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:

I think Landry could have been extended for much less last year. He got pissed and coped an attitude when they didn't extend him last year. He was quoted as saying he was going to make negotiations hard because he felt disrespected. It was mishandled by both sides. Tannenbaum ran the Jets into the ground and now he is doing the same with Miami. This roster is full of mediocre at best talent. They few that excelled were allowed to bolt after their rookie contracts. Only to be replaced by mediocre free agents for top dollar. Its really sad to watch.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:46 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Tannenbaum also ran Dawn Aponte off 2years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:38 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

bobby0112 wrote:

I think Landry could have been extended for much less last year. He got pissed and coped an attitude when they didn't extend him last year. He was quoted as saying he was going to make negotiations hard because he felt disrespected. It was mishandled by both sides. Tannenbaum ran the Jets into the ground and now he is doing the same with Miami. This roster is full of mediocre at best talent. They few that excelled were allowed to bolt after their rookie contracts. Only to be replaced by mediocre free agents for top dollar. Its really sad to watch.
Agree, what did Tannenbaum do with the Jets that made Ross look at him and go " You know, that is the guy I want running my multi-million dollar business.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:49 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

ggippo wrote:
What an idiotic thing to say. Hey genius how many slot receivers have averaged 100 catches and a 1000 yards every year the last 4 years. “Easy” he says

I would respond to the football side of the post, but with the "Look at me mom, I'm a big boy attitude" tone of your post proves manly inadequacy.

Go find someone who gives a :crap

You may not agree with what I said, and maybe my choice of the word "easy" was not the correct one. However, it could have been rebutted with far less aggressive wording. I'm here to discuss Miami football, not make a boy in a man's body, feel manly.

Have a nice day.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:50 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:

I agree that the average slot receiver definitely does not make or sniff at $13 million a season. I think Landry is in a league of his own at the position. I think he has the talent to play on the outside, but the Dolphins put him in the slot. What he lacks in burning speed he makes up for with great hands, the confidence to go up and get the ball in a tight situation, and also the ability to outwit the corner covering him. Heck, he caught a deep pass in Pro Bowl game, and I think we forget that Tannehill hit him deep more than once.

The Dolphins buggered this up last year by not resigning him and putting us in cap hell. Tannenbaum's a dreamer, Gase feels he can make anyone better, but we also need someone in the front office to balance them all out. Perhaps Tannenbaum realized that he was talked into signing the wrong players after making the playoffs last year. His gamble for Suh did not pay off, and sadly I think his contract his run its course.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:12 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:

I agree that the average slot receiver definitely does not make or sniff at $13 million a season. I think Landry is in a league of his own at the position. I think he has the talent to play on the outside, but the Dolphins put him in the slot. What he lacks in burning speed he makes up for with great hands, the confidence to go up and get the ball in a tight situation, and also the ability to outwit the corner covering him. Heck, he caught a deep pass in Pro Bowl game, and I think we forget that Tannehill hit him deep more than once.

The Dolphins buggered this up last year by not resigning him and putting us in cap hell. Tannenbaum's a dreamer, Gase feels he can make anyone better, but we also need someone in the front office to balance them all out. Perhaps Tannenbaum realized that he was talked into signing the wrong players after making the playoffs last year. His gamble for Suh did not pay off, and sadly I think his contract his run its course.
I think he is worth more than the typical slot guy. I think he can play the No. 2 spot, and Miami should have been pro-active in signing him. In saying that. Dallas found Cole Beasley as a UDFA. NE found Edleman in Rd. 7. NO found Will Snead as a UDFA.

I believe there are some slot guys in the draft this yr that can fill the void. Not 100%, but enough to warrant the difference in pay. Braxton Berrios, Ray Ray McCloud are two that I can see coming in later in the draft and producing. If Miami wants to gamble on a FA. Gotta go with Tavon Austin.

In Miami I have noticed ( like most fans ) that players that play with a chip on their shoulder are quickly jettison. Its one of the reason Miami has trolled in mediocrity for yrs.

Signing Suh to such a huge deal was nothing but a " I'm making a splash signing " DTs while valuable should not be paid like they are play makers. Suh did not make the Lions D great and he has not made the Phins D great. The LBers should be making the PB with Suh in front of them. They are not even getting a sniff. Imagine the damage Zach would do with blockers not being able to get to him.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:15 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

ggippo wrote:
What an idiotic thing to say. Hey genius ...

Dude, I may have to put you in the phinfever corner for that.

:haha

Chill a little bit. The Dolphins a making us all insane.

:angry:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:19 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Last year was a mess. Lost Tanny, the Team went out a got what they thought was the best FA and it didn't work. Only 3 players showed up consistently for the offense........Jesse Davis, Kenan Drake & Jarvis Landry.

Let's not forget Gase in this discussion.........I don't think it's a stretch to say it was his decision to bring in Jay Cutler & Julius Thomas. What was the Offense doing last year.............they had difficulties lining up?

Here's some things I like from Tannebaum/Grier:

- Kenan Drake
- Tony Lippet
- Jesse Davis
- TJ McDoanld
- Xavien Howard

Let's see what the Team does in the draft......give Charles Harris, Tony Lippet, Raekwon McMillan & Cordrea Tankersley a chance.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:23 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Big Dave wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

100%

People pigeon hole him into a position, but the talent and production say he deserves fair value. Last year his agent said he was looking for davante adams type money. That’s fair. Salaries go up they don’t stay put. They were never gonna keep him or they would have offered a contract last year. They didn’t and he was still a good soldier about it.

No matter what you think about Landry, there is no getting around the fact that the front office lets the in house talent walk to be replaced by expensive mediocrity. They have to win now, and they need a QB, 2 WR, TE, 2 OL, and a LB, at the minimum. Too many holes to go into any offseason with.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:11 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:
Tannenbaum also ran Dawn Aponte off 2years ago.

Now it all makes sense.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:19 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ggippo wrote:
They were never gonna keep him or they would have offered a contract last year. They didn’t and he was still a good soldier about it.

Good soldier?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:31 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
ggippo wrote:
They were never gonna keep him or they would have offered a contract last year. They didn’t and he was still a good soldier about it.

Good soldier?

Ya it’s a figure of speech. He didn’t hold out, risking a career ending injury to finish out his rookie contract.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:20 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ggippo wrote:
He didn’t hold out, risking a career ending injury to finish out his rookie contract.

Biblical scale of heroics.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:11 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
ggippo wrote:
He didn’t hold out, risking a career ending injury to finish out his rookie contract.

Biblical scale of heroics.

Easy for someone to say who has never had to gamble a $50,000,000 payday just so a couple of suits that never had any real intention of keeping you could string you along.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:54 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ggippo wrote:
Easy for someone to say who has never had to gamble a $50,000,000 payday just so a couple of suits that never had any real intention of keeping you could string you along.

I take it back. I’m sorry. I’m drowning in sympathy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:18 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

We need a guard! Not an over priced wr.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:26 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Kev1321 wrote:
We need a guard! Not an over priced wr.

You could have both with proper cap management. That’s the point. If you have a problem with overpaid players, why do Branch, Quinn, stills, Alonzo, get a pass? Be consistent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:30 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Kiko gets a free pass from me....When he gets moved back to his natural position ( what ever that is) he will show everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I thought this was interesting.

Barry Jackson wrote:
The Dolphins no longer want offensive targets so heavily imbalanced toward one player.

Instead, they would like to spread the ball around more, believing it will make them less predictable.

Last season, Dolphins quarterbacks threw 599 passes and 160 of those went to Landry — 26.7 percent.

And the large volume of targets to Landry weren’t always a good thing. During his four seasons here, Miami was 6-13 when Landry caught at least eight passes in a game. So large doses of Landry didn’t translate to winning.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:23 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Kev1321 wrote:
Kiko gets a free pass from me....When he gets moved back to his natural position ( what ever that is) he will show everyone.

no pass for this guy here....last time he supposedly played his "natural position", the Dolphins allowed recored yardage on defense. Kiko was great at being carried 10 yards downfield.....so the Fins went out and invested a 2nd rounder on an inside LB and brought in a troubled player for the position also.....so not even the Fins know where to line up this mistake. As soon as it is feasible to dump his contract they will do so...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:52 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Signing Landry last year is the going wisdom for what the Phins should have done. I have a couple of thoughts first exactly how much did he want then. Also if I remember correctly Landry was under investigation last year for domestic abuse/battery something don't remember. If Phins would have signed him and it would have been proven that he was guilty and they knew about the investigation then they would not hear the end of it and rightly so. He was not cleared until like October or Nov. And he said no contract talks during the season. I think the Phins hands were tied in some respect in this situation. I also think if your featured wr is a slot guy it could be limiting to your offense.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:07 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

He would have been guilty? But he wasn't guilty because they didn't sign him?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:31 am 

Kev1321 wrote:
He said IF he would have been guilty the FO never would have heard the end of it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:36 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Kev1321 wrote:

I dont understand your question.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:26 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

If Phins would have signed him and it would have been proven that he was guilty and they knew about the investigation then they would not hear the end of it and rightly so.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:51 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Kev1321 wrote:
If Phins would have signed him and it would have been proven that he was guilty and they knew about the investigation then they would not hear the end of it and rightly so.

It looks like you quoted one sentence, in the post I put up, successfully.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:50 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

AQNOR wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

It looks like you quoted one sentence, in the post I put up, successfully.

Looks like you didn't know what you posted.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:07 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

I don’t think little man does either.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:11 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

I don’t think little man does either.

I didn't think you would...But it's good of you to admit.

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next