Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:50 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

It better be at least 1 first round pick

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2270 ... vis-landry

Quote:
The Cleveland Browns are trading two draft picks to the Miami Dolphins for wide receiver Jarvis Landry, sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Browns are also working on a new contract for Landry, and a deal is expected to get done, a source told Schefter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:08 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The Cleveland Plain Dealer was reporting a source said the two picks were between the 3rd and 7th rounds. Not very specific, but very specific about not being 1st or 2nd rounders.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:16 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

They were never going to get a first round pick. I was hoping for a third. A second would have been unexpected. If they got a third and another pick I think that's about all we could have hoped for in a trade. I wish we had kept him.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:24 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

He was too expensive to warrant a 2nd rounder. I had a pipe dream about a bidding war driving the pick compensation up to a 2nd, but there's a lot of talent in the 3rd and 4th rounds this year. Hopefully it ends up being there, this year and next.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:26 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Watch it end up being a 5th and 7th. Hopefully they can do something with the picks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:01 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This franchise continues to sell low and buy high. What a joke! We drafted him higher than we are getting for him. You’d expect we could get more for the best slot receiver in the NFL. I’d much rather have given Landry his money than Branch or Suh. Im sick to my stomach.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:22 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

It's not official yet, the trade got leaked before the details were settled. They had an offer from another team as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:30 pm 
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

It’s not for this years third.
Browns just traded it to the Billa for Tyrod Taylor.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:34 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It’s a pick this year and next. My guess is a 4th or 5th this year and a 7ty next year. Peanuts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:35 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Jammer was right. They tried to trade Tannehill and Landry and 1-11 to Cleveland for 1-4, and Cleveland balked. So we lose on this one. It's probably for a 4th this year and a conditional 4th next year if they can sign Landry to a long term deal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:39 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

well, this moronic front office didn't get the 65th overall in the 3rd....that one went to the Bills for Tyrod Taylor.....the Browns don't have another 3rd so maybe it's the 101st, first pick of the 4th.....or maybe it's the 3rd in the year 2100! No problem...I'll be 148 years old....gotta hang one somehow to see how they screw that one up.......

The Bills by the way, now have the 21, 22, 53, 56, 65 and 96 picks....watch them leave Gase in the dust....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:51 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Sometimes I hate this franchise. I wish I could stop rooting for them but I can’t. Every year they find ways to make me disgusted. They’ve not even won a super bowl in my lifetime and I’m 43 years old!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:00 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

4th rounder this year and a 7th rounder next year via Barry Jackson for Landry.
So basically Landry for Quinn when all is said and done.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:04 pm 

Well if we got the first pick in the fourth round, that's something anyway. I don't think our front office is done by any means. That's not necessarily a good thing, mind you...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:09 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

zatrex99 wrote:
Jammer was right. They tried to trade Tannehill and Landry and 1-11 to Cleveland for 1-4, and Cleveland balked. So we lose on this one. It's probably for a 4th this year and a conditional 4th next year if they can sign Landry to a long term deal.

Where did you see this?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:16 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

shularino wrote:
zatrex99 wrote:

Where did you see this?

I can't say. Just say it's a source from a source who has connections to the FO. There may be more to come.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:26 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Interesting. So Taylor is a nice bridge to the QB they pick at 4. And if they take Barkly at 1 with Gordon and Landry. Pretty good offense to turn the franchise around. Can we trade Tannenbaum for Dorsey?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:01 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

can we please just get rid of Tannen-dummy? I am sick of these terrible trades giving up talented players for nothing, and spending a lot for washed up guys

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:08 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Fins: We don't want Landry anymore. Anyone got a bag of chips?
Browns: No, we ate them... but you can lick the bag.
Fins: DEAL!!!
Browns: Hey Bills, here’s some Ruffles...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:55 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Looks like they got a 4th this year and a 7th in next years draft.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:13 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
Fins: We don't want Landry anymore. Anyone got a bag of chips?
Browns: No, we ate them... but you can lick the bag.
Fins: DEAL!!!
Browns: Hey Bills, here’s some Ruffles...

Ha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:19 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I posted my thoughts this morning on the Landry trade on twitter and facebook this morning. I am veyr unhappy with how we dealt with the whole thing, and it goes back to a year ago, but I am not going to harp on it like we did with Wes Welker. I am angry and I am going to move on.

https://twitter.com/phinfever/status/972452947299897344

https://twitter.com/phinfever/status/972458046403350528

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:22 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Before we all go bridge jumping lets look at the overall picture. Miami's screw up was not extending Landry last year when they could have done it for cheaper a year ago.

Salguero just posted a blog that points out Miami did not have a guaranteed comp pick because they play to be active in free agency this year, AND, Landry needs to be a big performer to net that 3rd Rounder. What if he got hurt, suspended or pouted on the bench?

While I disagree with it, Miami's plan is to be aggressive in free agency. Doesn't seem to be a good crop of free agents this year.

The other issue with trading Landry was his contract demands. Sammy Watkins and Allen Robinson will be on the market. Danny Amendola is a bargain slot guy. There are several slot options in the draft. Why would a team pony for Landry and pay him his demanded price? Cleveland just took on his rental year to have a productive player. He probably hits the market in 2019.

Baltimore was supposedly offering a better trade package but only if Landry agreed to their extension price. He balked at it. Can't do much about that. I think Landry is going to learn a hard lesson next year when he gets like 3 years and $30 million versus the $60+ million he could have received in Miami.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:33 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
I think Landry is going to learn a hard lesson next year when he gets like 3 years and $30 million versus the $60+ million he could have received in Miami.

I thought we offered him a good offer.

I'm interested to see who Miami has in the slot this year. Looking at our roster we have Grant, Carroo, or Ford. It is also possible the Dolphins do a Fitzgerald thing with DeVante Parker. I do think Grant needs to stay on the outside. Ford is very intriguing and a lot of analysts considered him a steal for us, but he was injured in camp last year and got behind.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:39 am 

Miami being active in free agency does not do much for me anymore.
We supposedly have won in March and April for awhile now. Only to be playing spoiler in November and December.
I can somehow , kind of see the reasoning for trading guys like Ajayi and Landry. I just do not agree on the compensation.
So poor trades , free agents who have not performed like they had with their previous team and marginal draft picks lets anyone with any knowledge see where the problems begin.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:39 am 

jammer wrote:
Before we all go bridge jumping lets look at the overall picture. Miami's screw up was not extending Landry last year when they could have done it for cheaper a year ago.

Salguero just posted a blog that points out Miami did not have a guaranteed comp pick because they play to be active in free agency this year, AND, Landry needs to be a big performer to net that 3rd Rounder. What if he got hurt, suspended or pouted on the bench?

While I disagree with it, Miami's plan is to be aggressive in free agency. Doesn't seem to be a good crop of free agents this year.

The other issue with trading Landry was his contract demands. Sammy Watkins and Allen Robinson will be on the market. Danny Amendola is a bargain slot guy. There are several slot options in the draft. Why would a team pony for Landry and pay him his demanded price? Cleveland just took on his rental year to have a productive player. He probably hits the market in 2019.

Baltimore was supposedly offering a better trade package but only if Landry agreed to their extension price. He balked at it. Can't do much about that. I think Landry is going to learn a hard lesson next year when he gets like 3 years and $30 million versus the $60+ million he could have received in Miami.
The voice of reason seldom stops bridge jumping. I hate that we lost him, and if it was inevitable, I hate that we couldn't get more for him. Slot receivers are just not that hard to find in the draft though.

I'm waiting for the axe to start falling to see how we clear cap space. The next week or so should be interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:28 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

For Miami to be players in free agency they need to do the following:

Release Timmons and Thomas

Release either Pouncey or James (or maybe both), or trade James

Restructure Suh, Jones

Extend Quinn

Restructure or trade Tannehill

I saw someone tweet that Dion Lewis to Miami would create a short passing game nightmare for defenses between him and Drake. That is going to cost some money though.

I think a lot of stuff is going to happen today and tomorrow because otherwise the Landry trade made no sense.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:23 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I wasn't one who thought Landry was all that and a bag of chips, but I'm one who likes wr's that can break a tackle and take it to the house, and Landry just wasn't capable.

I appreciate his enthusiam, his passion and what it brought to the game, yet hated when it resulted in stupid penalties for excessive celebration. My lasting memory of Landry is being ejected from our last game in 2017.

I knew he was just a slot receiver whose production compensated for a bad running game, and poor TE play.

So no, I'm not sorry he's gone, I think his production can be easily filled by other players on our roster. And paying him 16 million a year? Sorry, but that's a no go fo me. I'd pay Antonio Brown that, and Landry is no Brown, he's a third of that at best.

That's just my opinion, and I can understand how Fins fans would see it differently.

But here is what happened behind the scenes so you understand what transpired.

Landry gave up in 2-3 games in 2017, and refused to study his playbook. Gase wanted him gone along with Ajayi, citing both as locker room cancers. Miami tried to trade Landry and Ajayi at the trading deadline last year. Philly took Ajayi, but nobody would give Miami the 2nd rounder they wanted for Landry.

The year ended, but Gase still wanted Landry gone. Miami lowballed him in negotions and then tagged him to control where he went.

They were hampered in that move because teams knew they'd tried to trade him in 2017. They were lucky to get what they got for him. Basically, they got the approximate value they would have gotten if they just let him go in FA and reaped a comp pick.

Call it a draw.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:47 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Don't know if this is accurate but I think Armando or someone like that said that the Phins eventually offered Landry 13.5 but he wants 14.5 mil per year.

Last year which was the first they could sign him to a longer term contract was cut off in part by Landry who said no negotiations during the playing year which is fine but I seem to remember there was a domestic abuse charge hanging over Landry that did not get cleared up early. Maybe it was a timing issue too? Not sure what Miami's early offer was last year before the season started if they made one but may have been lower if abuse thing was still hanging over the situation.

I am not against Landry and want him on the team and think that the front office has made some mistakes especially with Cutler but all front offices make mistakes.

Probably incednetly to this process I checked on the taxes charged in Cleveland Ohio vs Miami Florida. To the best of my knowledge it looks like both places charge property taxes with Florida charging more but not that much more. Additionally Ohio has a 5% top rate and Cleveland charges another 2% on income tax. So 7% of 14.5 mil is 1,015,000 possibly meaning the take home pay for Landry would probably have been about the same if the 13.5 offer was legit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:10 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well, this is discouraging. You don't trade all world talent like you did Ajayi and Landry. The Ajayi trade hurt when Drake had issues fumbling the football. Bellichick takes guys like R. Moss and R. Harrison who have baggage and gets the best out of them. Gase appears to be just unable to work with strong personalities. Time will tell how this works out, but Miami doesn't have that guy who catches in traffic anymore and that will hurt RT's efficiency as a QB. I was talking to a friend and said the only way this works out is if they end up getting talent on the OL to give RT more time to throw.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:34 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

CBS Sports considers it a "win" for the Dolphins.

CBS Sports wrote:
Gained: Fourth-round pick (2018), seventh-round pick (2019), lots of salary cap space
Lost: Jarvis Landry

If you've seen the mess that is the Dolphins' salary cap, then you know why they're being listed in the winners section. After hitting Jarvis Landry with the franchise tag in February, it became pretty clear the Dolphins were likely going to trade him, and that's because there's almost no way they were going to be able to afford to keep him and his $15.98 million cap hit for 2018. As a matter of fact, the Dolphins were so intent on getting rid of him that they allowed him to seek a trade partner.

Before getting rid of Landry on Friday, the Dolphins were a mind-boggling $19 million over the 2018 salary cap. With Landry and his giant franchise price tag now out the door, the Dolphins are now a much more manageable (but still ugly) $3 million over the cap, according to the aptly-named Over the Cap.

Basically, the Dolphins slashed some much-needed payroll and even got two picks in return from Cleveland in the form of a 2018 fourth-round pick and a 2019 seventh-round pick.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/brow ... cleveland/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:34 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
CBS Sports considers it a "win" for the Dolphins.

CBS Sports wrote:
Gained: Fourth-round pick (2018), seventh-round pick (2019), lots of salary cap space
Lost: Jarvis Landry

If you've seen the mess that is the Dolphins' salary cap, then you know why they're being listed in the winners section. After hitting Jarvis Landry with the franchise tag in February, it became pretty clear the Dolphins were likely going to trade him, and that's because there's almost no way they were going to be able to afford to keep him and his $15.98 million cap hit for 2018. As a matter of fact, the Dolphins were so intent on getting rid of him that they allowed him to seek a trade partner.

Before getting rid of Landry on Friday, the Dolphins were a mind-boggling $19 million over the 2018 salary cap. With Landry and his giant franchise price tag now out the door, the Dolphins are now a much more manageable (but still ugly) $3 million over the cap, according to the aptly-named Over the Cap.

Basically, the Dolphins slashed some much-needed payroll and even got two picks in return from Cleveland in the form of a 2018 fourth-round pick and a 2019 seventh-round pick.

Pretty sad, when your team sucks and has cap issues. Provides evidence the people running the team are not doing a good job.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:27 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It’s a shame his head was in the clouds with that money he was trying to get. That’s what screws all this up. A team would easily trade a 2nd for him if he wasn’t aiming to get top alpha wide out cash. At the same time he would never have been traded to begin with then.

If Miami offered him 13/yr there isn’t much to get upset about in that regard. Landry is delusional. He’s in the same narcissistic category as his BFF Odell Beckham. I’ve been saying for years that he would never play for this team after four seasons.

Still. Ugly, ugly trade.

Dphins4me wrote:
Pretty sad, when your team sucks and has cap issues. Provides evidence the people running the team are not doing a good job.

Evidence? More like a conviction.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:34 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

That was cold, sending him to Cleveland.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:02 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:

I totally agree, Scot. Tannenbaum put us in cap hell. The "dreamer" needs someone to keep him in check ... like Dawn Aponte.

Hal Habib wrote:
And while we’re on the subject of cap management, indulge me with a question only those inside the building are qualified to answer: Would the numbers look this ugly if Dawn Aponte’s fingers were still tapping the calculator keys? Just askin’. link

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:15 am 

Kev1321 wrote:
That was cold, sending him to Cleveland.

LOL ..I guess NE wasnt interested.
Im wondering if Cleveland might have more wins than us next season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:20 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

So if we let him walk as a free agent we could have gotten a third round comp pick...We did far better this way.

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]