Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:13 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

I'm starting to believe...

Quote:
Simon Clancy
@SiClancy
How serious are Miami about Baker Mayfield?

Senior Bowl interview? ✅
Combine interview? ✅
Private dinner before Pro Day? ✅
Pro Day attendance? ✅
Private workout in Norman? ✅

It’s either the greatest smokescreen ever or one of the biggest double bluffs in history. https://twitter.com/robertklemko/status ... 8836493315

10:54 AM - Mar 8, 2018 · Rugby, England

Quote:
The stadium beer guy's girlfriend says (code for a source I can't reveal):The Fins would trade Landry and #11 for the Browns pick at #4 in a heart beat.

Supposedly, somewhere, is a video of Marino meeting with Dorsey asking him to 'drop back' and then when they saw the camera, they fled the room.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:35 pm 
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I believe it real. Reason why? Browns are one of two teams still in talk about Landry trade. I think Fins are aiming for Browns 4th pick(1st round) for Fins 11th pick and Landry and prob mid round picks....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:27 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Zatrex I think you are on to the smokescreen idea with Josh Allen. Chris Koufman is teasing Twitter with the idea Miami is trading Tannehill to move up to the 1st overall pick. Then he is hinting at the expectation to be Mayfield but in reality will be Josh Allen. Matt Cannata is backing this info up and they are using Tony Pauline’s reference to Allen being the first QB.

This is getting nuts. You have Landry signing today which almost ensures he is part of the deal.

I wish it was for Darnold but we shall see.

I’ve said from the get go Tannehill is a great trade target because he is on a series of 1 year options and won’t require the commitment of the current free agent crop. We will know by next week probably.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:31 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

LOL ... everything you hear right now up until the draft could be a smoke screen. You can't believe anything, so, it's best to not have your heart set on anyone. It's NFL poker right now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:39 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I still can't see Landry signing a long-term deal with Cleveland, which I'm sure would be a requirement for a deal like that to happen.

If Tannehill gets sent to Cleveland in a trade like this, I would expect a full tear-down, with every bloated contract released so the financial hits can all happen this year and next year.

I still like all the talk though.

Anyone picking 1-10 now has the Dolphins on speed-dial, thinking they may want to deal.

The QBs are amped up thinking someone values them enough to trade up an get them.

The teams drafting post-11 know they have to move up to 1-10 if they want one of the QBs, which means there's a good chance at least one of the Nelson, Smith, Edmonds, Fitzpatrick, James ilk will be available at 11. Not a bad consolation prize if they can't pull off a deal to move up.

The teams drafting post-11 also know that the Dolphins are looking QB, and if one's not there, they're a prime candidate to move back if a player is still there at 11 that you want.

I don't hate where we sit right now, like I normally do.

We've got options, which is something we normally don't seem to have this time of year. Unless the option is overpaying a free agent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:02 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Zatrex I think you are on to the smokescreen idea with Josh Allen. Chris Koufman is teasing Twitter with the idea Miami is trading Tannehill to move up to the 1st overall pick. Then he is hinting at the expectation to be Mayfield but in reality will be Josh Allen. Matt Cannata is backing this info up and they are using Tony Pauline’s reference to Allen being the first QB.

This is getting nuts. You have Landry signing today which almost ensures he is part of the deal.

I wish it was for Darnold but we shall see.

I’ve said from the get go Tannehill is a great trade target because he is on a series of 1 year options and won’t require the commitment of the current free agent crop. We will know by next week probably.

It makes sense. Gase and Marino go to the Senior Bowl and then you start hearing reports about how they might take a qb in the first round. Then it's leaked they love Mayfield, with Allen being the only other QB of the big 4 there. So yeah, I assume it's Allen and they start the smokescreen to disguise which one. I can't see how teams would believe a smokescreen designed to get, say Fitzpatrick, to fall to them at 1-11.

I think you're right in the way they handled Landry. Gase doesn't want him back, but he's a valuable piece to have if they trade up. They're gambling heavily on that situation. Tannehill too, though I think they want to keep him for two years and let Allen develop. Gase really does like Tannehill and may find it hard to decide between Tannehill and Allen when push comes to shove. (Trading Tannehill to get Allen)

Last edited by apatos13 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:14 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jgod1 wrote:
If Tannehill gets sent to Cleveland in a trade like this, I would expect a full tear-down, with every bloated contract released so the financial hits can all happen this year and next year.T

I wouldn't. They're trying to follow the Philadelphia plan. They went all in on Wentz while acquiring the other pieces they needed to add to what they had and in year two, they win the SB.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:36 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I have a hard time believing that the Browns would trade the 4th pick for "our #11, Landry, and a midround pick."

That 4th pick is worth a lot more than that. It gives the Browns a lot of flexibility: Draft Barkley and still get a top QB at 4; draft a QB at 1 and take Fitzpatrick or Barkley at 4; etc.

Landry's huge contract won't make him worth much more than a second-round pick in a trade.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:42 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

prof123 wrote:
I have a hard time believing that the Browns would trade the 4th pick for "our #11, Landry, and a midround pick."

That 4th pick is worth a lot more than that. It gives the Browns a lot of flexibility: Draft Barkley and still get a top QB at 4; draft a QB at 1 and take Fitzpatrick or Barkley at 4; etc.

Landry's huge contract won't make him worth much more than a second-round pick in a trade.

I have been thinking the same thing.

Largofins76 wrote:
I believe it real. Reason why? Browns are one of two teams still in talk about Landry trade. I think Fins are aiming for Browns 4th pick(1st round) for Fins 11th pick and Landry and prob mid round picks....

In this scenario though, aside from the millions the kid would be earning, I would genuinely feel bad for Landry if we sold him off to the Clowns. He’s one of the guys whose love of the game is real and would seemingly never get complacent like a lot of guys would if they were collecting a fat check in Cleveland purgatory.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:01 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

This goes back to what I said about Cleveland needing players, not picks. They have an arsenal of picks already. They need to win back fans and show other teams they are competitive. If a trade does go down I believe it will be for Tannehill, Landry and the 11th. If it’s the 1st overall pick you may need to add more.

Tannehill and Landry are on 1 year options and buy Cleveland possibly 2 years of growing time for current rookies. Cleveland has the cap space to do it now without jeopardizing future spending.

I don’t think the odds of it happening are great but I think the negotiations are true.

Imagine being Cleveland and having 1 win in the last 2 seasons. Bring in Tannehill and Landry and you get maybe 7 or 8 wins, plus you stay competitive in most games. That could change locker room confidence.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:18 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

jammer wrote:
This goes back to what I said about Cleveland needing players, not picks. They have an arsenal of picks already. They need to win back fans and show other teams they are competitive. If a trade does go down I believe it will be for Tannehill, Landry and the 11th. If it’s the 1st overall pick you may need to add more.

Imagine being Cleveland and having 1 win in the last 2 seasons. Bring in Tannehill and Landry and you get maybe 7 or 8 wins, plus you stay competitive in most games. That could change locker room confidence.

Yes, the Browns could use some veteran leadership. But top-5 picks are gold, and I don't think you get rid of perrennial Pro Bowl type prospects for players like Tannehill and Landry at $15 million per year. Now, they do have a LOT of cap space, so I could see them taking on contracts like that of Cousins or Landry, but not if they have to give up top picks to do it.

The Browns are my "second team" (I grew up in Ohio), so I follow them fairly closely. I don't think they are that far away from being very competitive. They have a bunch of young talent at TE, WR, DL, and S. All they need is a QB, though I suppose the jury is still out on Jackson as coach. I think they should have tried harder to sign Cousins, groom Kizer, and then draft Barkley and Fitzpatrick with those top picks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:51 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

prof123 wrote:
jammer wrote:

Yes, the Browns could use some veteran leadership. But top-5 picks are gold, and I don't think you get rid of perrennial Pro Bowl type prospects for players like Tannehill and Landry at $15 million per year. Now, they do have a LOT of cap space, so I could see them taking on contracts like that of Cousins or Landry, but not if they have to give up top picks to do it.

The Browns are my "second team" (I grew up in Ohio), so I follow them fairly closely. I don't think they are that far away from being very competitive. They have a bunch of young talent at TE, WR, DL, and S. All they need is a QB, though I suppose the jury is still out on Jackson as coach. I think they should have tried harder to sign Cousins, groom Kizer, and then draft Barkley and Fitzpatrick with those top picks.

You both make really good points. If I'm Cleveland, I'm looking for a way to make sure I get both the QB I want and Barkley. I'll gladly throw in one of my second rounders to move from 1-4 to 1-2 with the Giants to do so.

On the other hand, Hugh doesn't seem to like rookie QB's and would prefer a veteran. Tannehill is much better than McCarron and it makes sense to grab Landry to pair with Gordon too. Tannehill can give you 8-10 years (same as Cousins) as your starter, so why not?

In reality, I would expect Miami to keep Tannehill, trade Landry to someone for a player (Landry for Josh Gordon is a real possibility) and stay put at 1-11. I think their smokescreen works and Josh Allen drops to them anyway. Most teams coveting a qb are going to shy away, he's too boom or bust.

If Cleveland doesn't draft a qb, their fans will go nuts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:43 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

zatrex99 wrote:

In reality, I would expect Miami to keep Tannehill, trade Landry to someone for a player (Landry for Josh Gordon is a real possibility) and stay put at 1-11. I think their smokescreen works and Josh Allen drops to them anyway. Most teams coveting a qb are going to shy away, he's too boom or bust.

I was hoping we would get at least a third round pick for Landry, but at least the Brown's 4th rounder is the first pick of the fourth round, and there also is a 7th rounder next year.

Landry seems excited to be in Cleveland, and both sides expect to sign a long-term deal. The Browns got significantly better today, adding Landry, Taylor, and a starting CB from the Packers. If the Browns draft Barkley, I think they are going to start winning games soon.

As for the Dolphins, they just got worse. Landry was one of the few players who played hard, and he was one of our very few playmakers. I don't see us getting appreciably better with the draft picks we hold. (Compare to the Browns who have five picks in the first 35 and the Bills who hold something like six picks in the first 70.) We desperately need McMillan (LB) and McDonald (S) to be above average starters, and for two of our new DEs (Harris, Quinn) to play like Pro Bowlers. In other words, our defense is only going to get better if players on the current roster play better than they did last year. Throw Tankersley and X.Howard into that group, too.

I don't think we have enough assets to move up into the top 10 in the draft. I hope we stay at 11 and see who drops to us. I think one of the four QBS, the LB from Georgia, the LB from VA TEch, or the guard from Notre Dame (my personal choice) will be there. If not, maybe Ridley (WR from Alabama) is someone we will consider, to replace Landry.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:23 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

prof123 wrote:
I don't think we have enough assets to move up into the top 10 in the draft. I hope we stay at 11 and see who drops to us. I think one of the four QBS, the LB from Georgia, the LB from VA TEch, or the guard from Notre Dame (my personal choice) will be there. If not, maybe Ridley (WR from Alabama) is someone we will consider, to replace Landry.

I think you're right. We tried to get Cleveland to dance with us and they refused. They were are best chance, I think...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:29 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Having found this most intriguing offseason I've ever seen, and I'll qualify that by saying I almost quit being a Fins fan, until they hired Gase and I suddenly seen such promise which I still belive in, I'm just amazed by what was possible and what has gone down with the QB's so far.

I also say I wanted us to trade up last year and grab Patrick Mahomes, and now I'm just as in love with Mayfield as I was Mahomes. The rest of the qb's are easy passes for me because I really do believe in Tannehill, I think we'll be fine with him. So to hear Gase loves Mayfield, got me drooling. Now, I think that while Gase does love Mayfield, I believe he thinks he'll be fine with Tannehill and could turn a 2nd tier QB like Kyle Lauretta into Tanehill's succesor if need be. I really doubt we trade up to get Mayfield, giving up the picks would too prohibitive and Gase doesn't love him that much. I also doubt he falls, I bet Clevelands takes him. (Tyrod is a perfect bridge to Lamar Jackson, but works for Mayfield too.)

However, if we really want him, this is how I see this working out.

Cleveland wants the QB of their choice (Darnold) and Barkley. Who wouldn't? I say they take Barkley at 1-1, and then offer the Giants who want Barkley badly 1-4 and one or both of their remaining 2nds picks to move to 1-2 to take Darnold.

Buffalo wants in the top five for Josh Allen and finds a willing partner in Indy to move down for 1-21, 1-22, and 2-21. This is the Jets' worse nightmare, they wanted Allen, but this is why they took a flyer on Bridgewater. They won't try to move up.

The Giants happily take Rosen at 1-4.

Denver wants to win now, they'd rather draft an impact player because they have Casey Keenum. They agree to giving Miami 1-5, for 1-11, 2-10, and a first next year. Miami can't stay put and hope Mayfield drops to 1-11, someone, the Saints perhaps, will jump them.

I think Mayfield is a pipe dream, but I'm still excited to see who we draft. And just so no one mistakes this for being an intelligent post, if I couldn't have Mayfield, I'd skip over every other QB in the draft till round 6 and take Chase Litton. A project, but there's something about him I'd like to see if we could develop.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]