Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:17 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Todd McShay wrote:
1. Cleveland Browns

Sam Darnold, QB, USC*

I've had Darnold here in the previous two mocks as well. After the combine this past week, it's sounding as if this pick could come down to him or Saquon Barkley. Darnold is the best QB in this class, in my opinion. However, I also could see Josh Allen as the choice here, since he has more experience in the cold, the big arm and the hand size (10⅛ inches) to diminish fumbling concerns in bad AFC North weather. If Cleveland addresses its quarterback situation in free agency (AJ McCarron?), then I think Barkley is the pick here.

2. New York Giants

Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State*

The Giants could go a lot of different directions here. If they are really looking to win now with Eli Manning at QB, then they should take the best player in the draft, Barkley. Give Manning a running game and a little more pass protection (via free agency or later in the draft) and Giants fans would argue they are a playoff team. Bradley Chubb and Quenton Nelson are in play here as well. And New York also could get a sweet offer to move back for a team looking to jump up and take a QB.

3. Indianapolis Colts

Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State

Like the Giants, the big question will be if Indianapolis gets a worthwhile offer to move down from a QB-needy team. If that call doesn't come, then I believe this pick comes down to Chubb or Nelson. With so many holes on this team, including edge rusher, Chubb makes the most sense. He played his way into a top-10 pick this season at NC State and solidified it with a strong combine workout. A high-motor guy, he has good talent and is a very complete player. A plug-and-play
starter.

4. Cleveland Browns (from Houston Texans)

Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Alabama*
2018 NFL DRAFT

There are teams that could be looking to move up to this pick to get ahead of Denver and the New York Jets (Miami, Arizona, Buffalo to name a few), so the Browns could cash in with the QB they want and now get additional picks to move down. Since we can't project trades, Cleveland goes with a difference-maker on defense in Fitzpatrick (Tremaine Edmunds would be another possibility). With needs at CB, WR, DE and offensive line (among others), this pick is also dependent on where Cleveland spends to upgrade in free agency.

5. Denver Broncos

Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame*

I keep hearing that the Broncos are looking to upgrade the QB position in free agency, but the name I keep hearing isn't Kirk Cousins -- it's Case Keenum. If Denver gets either guy, it needs significant help on the O-line, even after drafting offensive tackle Garett Bolles in the first round last year. Nelson had a terrific combine and is a plug-and-play, high-level starter. He's a guard, not a tackle, but he's also currently my second-ranked prospect in this class. If Denver doesn't address QB in free agency, Allen is the likely pick here.

6. New York Jets

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming*

The Jets are another team in the Cousins sweepstakes, but assuming they miss out they'd be thrilled if Allen (or Baker Mayfield) were available here. Allen has the best arm talent in the draft and can make any throw. The concern over his 56.3 completion percentage last season at Wyoming is probably overblown, but there are some accuracy issues with multidimensional throws. He's more of a project than some other QBs in this class, but he definitely has the highest ceiling.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Derwin James, S, Florida State*

The Bucs were dead last in the NFL with 17 sacks last season, so they need an edge rusher badly. But the defensive end class this year lacks elite talent at the top, and this is a reach for someone like Marcus Davenport. Instead, Tampa Bay should take the best player available -- which is James. James is a versatile playmaker on the back end, and also a terrific athlete. His outstanding workout in Indy (40-inch vertical jump, 11-foot broad jump, 4.47 40-yard dash) wasn't surprising.

8. Chicago Bears

Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State*

Calvin Ridley is still my top-ranked WR, but he had a mixed combine workout. The Bears do need playmakers on the outside for second-year QB Mitchell Trubisky, but right now, there are simply too many higher-graded players on the board available. Even if Chicago keeps Kyle Fuller (it placed the transition tag on him), the Bears need a lockdown CB. Ward is that guy, and his blazing 4.32 40 cemented his spot as the No. 1 CB in this draft.

9. San Francisco 49ers

Tremaine Edmunds, DE/OLB, Virginia Tech*

The 49ers need another cornerback, but in this scenario Ward is gone at No. 8. The 49ers have invested heavily on the defensive line high in previous drafts, but I think they look to the second level of the defense here. And Edmunds is a gift at No. 9. At 6-foot-4, 254 pounds, he has elite speed (4.47 40) and athleticism -- and he's only 19. Edmunds has the ability to play off the ball on first and second downs and rush the QB on obvious passing downs.

10. Oakland Raiders

Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia*

Oakland has needs all over on defense (CB, LB, edge rusher) and not enough available cap room to make huge upgrades in free agency. Smith would be a good building block for the Raiders' defense, as a rangy weakside linebacker with fast eyes and terrific closing speed. He's also a great leader and possesses tremendous football character.

11. Miami Dolphins

Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

Smith could also be a great pick for Miami, but if he's off the board and Mayfield and Josh Rosen are both on the board, I think Miami takes a QB here. Ryan Tannehill is good enough to win when healthy, but his availability has been a problem in recent seasons. Adam Gase would be a good offensive mind to help utilize Mayfield's strengths.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/insid ... redictions

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:59 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

That'd be a nightmare... Glad it's a mock. Rosen would be the better pick.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:09 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Project86JLL13 wrote:

I kinda am starting to like Mayfield. Why the nightmare? I have a hunch the Phins won't take any QB in the first round regardless, unless they trade RT, which I highly doubt. I guess we'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:10 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I saw a mock where the Browns drafted DE Bradley Chubb with the overall first pick in the draft, and then came back with a QB at pick 4. And I also saw another one where the Browns picked RB Saquon Barkley with the first pick, and then came back with a QB at pick 4. To me, that makes good sense for the Browns since Darnald, Rosen, and Mansfield as closely evaluated. Allen is in there as well, but I wouldn't put him as an option as a draft pick in the top 10 picks of a draft unless a team wants to throw deep passes all game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:16 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

k-dash wrote:
Project86JLL13 wrote:

I kinda am starting to like Mayfield. Why the nightmare? I have a hunch the Phins won't take any QB in the first round regardless, unless they trade RT, which I highly doubt. I guess we'll see.

Nightmare because I wouldn't want any of these "top" QBs this year. My preference(s) would most likely be gone by 11. Address oline (yay), or take BPA, and ride it out with Tannehill.

Post subject: QB
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:08 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

k-dash wrote:
I kinda am starting to like Mayfield.

I've read several draft analysts say that if Mayfield were 2 inches taller he would be the #1 QB in this draft.

Project86JLL13 wrote:
Nightmare because I wouldn't want any of these "top" QBs this year. My preference(s) would most likely be gone by 11. Address oline (yay), or take BPA, and ride it out with Tannehill.

I understand that the mindset is different now than it was 50 years ago, but the Dolphins draft QB Rick Norton with the overall #2 pick of the draft back in '67. They didn't like what they saw, so, they drafted Bob Griese with the overall #4 pick in the draft the next year in '68. When asked what they would have done if Griese didn't work out, the Dolphins said they would draft a QB in the first round every year until they got a franchise quarterback. That is how important a quarterback is.

If Mayfield, Darnold, or Rosen are available, I'd draft one of them. I would even trade up if I could. Give Gase a fresh QB to mold, and get the Baltimore Ravens mindset that you can win a Super Bowl with an average QB. Aside from Brady, most Super Bowl MVPs have been first round quarterbacks.

Post subject: Re: QB
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:43 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Big Dave wrote:
k-dash wrote:
I kinda am starting to like Mayfield.

I've read several draft analysts say that if Mayfield were 2 inches taller he would be the #1 QB in this draft.

...and height isn't coachable. I don't hold height against prospects anyways. I just don't see anything I like with Mayfield, as well as with most of the prospects. I don't see much of a difference between Mayfield to Rudolph (same conference, comparable stats), but if height is a concern, Rudolph is more prototypical. I think these two referenced are the better deep throwers in this class, but then you have Josh Allen out there throwing 90 yards...an arm than can afford you to just launch it (with the proper deep threats at skill positions) and let receiver just run under and catch it. Allen, btw, looked real good @ the combine, but that's just it, it's the combine.

I don't like Darnold at all, i don't know what it is, just something about him...seems to be thriving off of what the hype USC will bring him.

Lamar Jackson, in my opinion, is the wild card here. I think he has all the tools, and the legs, to become something special with the right tutelage. A good S&C program in the pros should get him up to a more ideal weight. He's going to be over looked with the other big name prospects, which I think will also be beneficial to the team he ends up on because he seems like the type to play with a chip on his shoulder... nonetheless, the doubters that even think he should switch positions is more drive.

I think Rosen is the full package, most well rounded and pro ready, when considering the others in this class. Just my opinion...

All that being said, I don't think any are worth the selection @ 11. There's not much that separates one QB from another in this class. I think Tannehill would be just as productive over the next 3 years as any of these supposed 1st rounders would be.

I think there are more better players, especially at positions of need than QB (and I'm more of a BPA than position of need minded person when it comes to draft thoughts). There's a couple good OTs, LBs, RBs, and DBs that will be there, all needs. An ideal situation if considering QB would be trading back, since I think all of the blue chippers will be gone (Barkley, Nelson, Roquan, and Minkah). If Phins can trade back to the latter half of the first with one or two of these QBs still on the board and get some extra picks out of the deal, I'm all for it.

Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:03 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Quarterback is that position that you'll always have to overpay for. There are so many teams and so few franchise QBs.

So, if you're going to overpay, do it when it costs you the least. We're drafting 11th, which is most likely the highest we'll pick again for the next few years unless one of Tannehills wheels fall off. It'll cost us far less this year to move up to 4-6 to grab a future QB, than it would if we were picking 16-22 like a "normal" year.

Post subject: Re: QB
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:47 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
Not an endorsement for Mayfield, but basically the same thing was stated about Russell Wilson.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]