Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tony Pauline on Phinsi
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:24 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/the-phinsi ... andry-more

This is a great listen if you have 10-15 minutes.

Some important notes from it:

Miami is looking to trade up for a QB, have both Mayfield and Rosen in their sights

Miami is not sold on Ryan Tannehill (counter to what Ross and Gase have said)

Jarvis Landry will not be a Dolphin by May 1st and is expected to be used to move up for a QB

If Miami can't move up it will be between Derwin James, Roquan Smith and Leighton Vander Esche at 11

Expects Josh Allen to be the 1st QB drafted

Thinks Cleveland should take Saquon Barkley 1st overall

Rosen is his number 1 QB, but has injury concerns

Think Darnold and Allen will take a lot of time to groom, but better tools than Rosen

Is not sold on Mayfield, thinks he'll have trouble against NFL defenses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:25 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Good stuff, jammer. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:42 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If the staff is truly eager to trade up for a QB, Landry is a near guarantee to become a part of the deal that gets them there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:24 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Two things I tend to disagree with Pauline on (after flip flopping more than a politician):

I don't think Landry is getting traded because there are too many good to decent free agents. Teams aren't going to want to pay Landry top dollar. I think the tag gets rescinded and Miami just accepts the comp pick for 2019.

This also leads into trading up for a QB. I think its a smokescreen to encourage other teams to jump ahead of them. I agree that they don't buy into Tannehill being the real deal because he could be falling into that Sam Bradford realm aka promise but now major knee issues. Ben Volin reported Miami is looking at free agent QBs to push Tannehill and the combo of Matt Cannata, Chris Koufman and Simon Clancy insist they will push hard for Teddy Bridgewater.

I believe the real 1st Round target is Derwin James with TJ McDonald shifting to LB (an idea Omar Kelly proposed that I really see as a possibility). McDonald has the size and speed to be a coverage LB and we've all seen how hard he hits.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:31 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Just for clarity, if Mayfield or Rosen are there at 11 I think Miami will pounce. I expect both to be gone in the top 8.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:05 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Thanks, Jammer. It was definitely a good listen, but dang, there was a lot of technical difficulty. He doesn't sound as excited about the top 4 quarterbacks in this draft as other analysts are. Most fans want Landry back, but I think we can swallow the frustration if we can use him to move up in the draft. He will be the new "Wes Walker" that fans will talk about for the next 10 years though. I am interested to see Carroo get on the field, but I am thinking that perhaps Ford can be that slot receiver. Grant did much better once he moved outside. What frustrates me about Gase is that I think Grant and Carroo should be used more rather than waiting for them to get to a certain point in practice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:28 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I think the most realistic thing is Stills in the slot in 3 WR sets. The difference though is he won't be breaking tackles or making guys miss, it will have to be speed. You can have Grant and Parker on the outside.

Another possibility is Miami targeting a WR in Round 2 or 3, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of praise for this year's crop.

It was mentioned that there could be some surprise cuts coming so maybe Miami bids on a free agent option.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:45 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
I am interested to see Carroo get on the field, but I am thinking that perhaps Ford can be that slot receiver. Grant did much better once he moved outside. What frustrates me about Gase is that I think Grant and Carroo should be used more rather than waiting for them to get to a certain point in practice.

This. We actually have talent on our roster we're not using and need to. Hopefully the new coaching structure with Christian as a player development coach allows that to happen. Landry is easily replaceable, but we need to replace his production with players that can attack the field more vertically.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:58 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I believe the real 1st Round target is Derwin James with TJ McDonald shifting to LB (an idea Omar Kelly proposed that I really see as a possibility). McDonald has the size and speed to be a coverage LB and we've all seen how hard he hits.

I'd be really happy if it played out this way, or we took Roquan Smith and then a saftey in the third round. I think we'd be just fine to roll with Tannehill for the next 8-10 years.

However, I don't think the smokescreen is aimed at getting a player to drop, but to disguise which QB we want to move up and grab, and put pressure on Cleveland to draft Darnold at #1. I think Josh Allen is the guy we really want, and the one that could fall if you can get Cleveland to take Darnold at 1. The Broncos need a qb that can play this season, which is Rosen. The Jets see our interest in Mayfield and take him. With Rosen gone, Buffalo stays pat and takes Jackson. Arizona would be the WC in that scenario.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:03 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
He doesn't sound as excited about the top 4 quarterbacks in this draft as other analysts are.

Its a really tough question. Is this 2004 type QB class or a 2011 type QB class?

Miami will have a very big decision to make if either Mayfield or Allen are sitting there at 11, or if they want to flip the 11th and Landry to Chicago to move up and get one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:07 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

After a player is tagged they have until July 16 at 4 p.m. EDT to come to terms on a multi–year deal with their respective teams.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:08 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
I'd be really happy if it played out this way, or we took Roquan Smith and then a saftey in the third round. I think we'd be just fine to roll with Tannehill for the next 8-10 years.

However, I don't think the smokescreen is aimed at getting a player to drop, but to disguise which QB we want to move up and grab, and put pressure on Cleveland to draft Darnold at #1. I think Josh Allen is the guy we really want, and the one that could fall if you can get Cleveland to take Darnold at 1. The Broncos need a qb that can play this season, which is Rosen. The Jets see our interest in Mayfield and take him. With Rosen gone, Buffalo stays pat and takes Jackson. Arizona would be the WC in that scenario.

I personally think Cleveland is going to take Barkley 1st overall, then deal their 4th and 33rd pick to NY for the 2nd overall to get their QB. NY gets either Quenton Nelson or Minkah Fitzpatrick. Read Ian Wharton say that NY is fine rolling with Manning and continuing to develop Davis Webb.

As for Cleveland's QB, any of them make sense. Signing McCarron will buy them a year or two.

I like the idea of Josh Allen being a Cam Newton type.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:19 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I personally think Cleveland is going to take Barkley 1st overall, then deal their 4th and 33rd pick to NY for the 2nd overall to get their QB. NY gets either Quenton Nelson or Minkah Fitzpatrick. Read Ian Wharton say that NY is fine rolling with Manning and continuing to develop Davis Webb.

I've been reading the tea leaves and that's exactly what I would do if I was Cleveland. I think I proposed that on here.

Quote:
I like the idea of Josh Allen being a Cam Newton type.
Allen will be the living football metaphor for premature ej@cul@ti*n unless Gase can get him to calm down.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:47 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Ok, I laughed at the last one

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]