All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:09 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I think Miami's offensive coordinator did Tannehill a disservice earlier in his career as he seemed robotic. Part of that could be that he was a converted WR, but you have to let your quarterback be himself. Play according to his strengths.

Bleacher Report wrote:
Four days prior to Super Bowl LII, I picked DeFilippo's brain about working with different types of quarterbacks, and asked him the difference between working with a young scrambler and a veteran pocket passer. His response was enlightening and exciting.

"You never want to make a quarterback a robot," DeFilippo said. "You want to use whatever that guy's skill set is to his advantage."

"Now, case in point: Johnny Manziel," continued DeFilippo, who was Manziel's offensive coordinator in 2015. "Our mantra with Johnny was: If there's a throw in the pocket to be made, make it. But if there's not a throw to be made, use your God-given ability to escape the pocket.

"But say you're coaching a guy like Carson Palmer (whom DeFilippo worked with in Oakland as the Raiders quarterbacks coach). Now, his game is that he gets off the first progression a little bit sooner and uses his vision to get back to his No. 2 and No. 3 receivers a little bit faster than a Johnny Manziel would, because he's got more experience and he's more of a pocket guy.

"Coaching is tailoring your game plan to what your quarterback and your players do well."

There's a lot to unpack here, starting with the fact that DeFilippo gave an honest, detailed answer to a general question instead of mumbling something about "the process" and scowling.

DeFilippo likes to build scrambling into the structure of his offense if he has a scrambler in the huddle. He even described drills he would run in Browns practices where he would shout "Scramble!" so receivers could practice adjusting their routes, and linemen could learn to avoid grabbing defenders who pulled away to chase Manziel.

DeFilippo's "system" is not an attempt to be Doug Pederson Jr., but rather to orchestrate game plans that make sense for the available talent.

Sure, some offensive coaches think that way. But we've all heard enough "STRUCTURE GOOD, SCRAMBLE BAD" reasoning from NFL decision-makers to know that many offensive coaches (and seemingly all defensive coaches) like turning quarterbacks into robots. They'll talk about tailoring the game plan, then end up handing a Tom Brady playbook to Tom Savage.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2759 ... ge-the-nfl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:42 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

So the multi-million dollar question that we all need to have answered in 2018 is this...

What do we have in Ryan Tannehill?

Is he a guy we can ride to the superbowl? Is he a guy we can carry to the superbowl if we have excellence everywhere else? Or is he just a guy?

I hope we have clarity in 2018. And I hope we draft a qb regardless. I believe he's a guy that has proven that he deserves the chance to make his mark. So let him make it. Then we'll know. If he can't stay healthy, well then that's his mark.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:06 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

k-dash wrote:
So the multi-million dollar question that we all need to have answered in 2018 is this...

What do we have in Ryan Tannehill?

And in 2017...

And in 2016...

Time to draft a QB.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:37 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I hope Miami takes their guy, regardless of the round. Don't draft a big name just for name's sake, and don't avoid a 1st Round guy to appease Tannehill. He's a big boy and can stomach competition.

A win-win is getting exactly what the Chiefs got last year - driving their decent starter to near MVP levels while grabbing an uber talented successor.

I am fully in favor of Miami trading up for Sam Darnold, I'm okay with taking Baker Mayfield at 11, and I'm comfortable that they can find a starting caliber QB on Day 2.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]