All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

Who would you draft if both were available?
QB Josh Allen 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
QB Baker Mayfield 83%  83%  [ 5 ]
Total votes: 6
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:56 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Interesting.

Barry Jackson wrote:
ESPN.com asked Mel Kiper and Todd McShay who they would take between Allen and Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield if they had a top 10 pick.

Kiper said Allen: “We know he has the big arm, but he got better every day in Mobile. Allen was overthrowing on Tuesday, trying to showcase his arm while alternating reps with Mayfield & Co. That’s when you could sense his timing was off with receivers he had just met. But he made dramatic progress throughout the week and was much better by Thursday. His ceiling is so high — he could make throws down there that no one else could make. People always ask me about comps — well, how about Matthew Stafford? He completed 57.1 percent of his passes in 39 games at Georgia. Stafford has been better in the NFL, and I think Allen will improve in the pros, too.”

McShay also picked Allen but said: “This is a tough one. We’re still a ways from the end of the process, but I’d lean [toward] Allen right now because of his frame and arm talent. A big part of it depends on what scheme I’m running as a head coach. But it’s a legitimate debate between these two right now.”

McShay said this about Mayfield: “A couple of things stood out to me this week for Mayfield. Off the top, we now know he’s 6-foot and has a 9.5-inch hand span, which is right at the five-year Combine average for quarterbacks. So the official measurements weren’t alarming. Second, Mayfield just has elite football instincts. By that I mean he knows when to slide in the pocket, how to read coverage and get the ball out on time and when to bail and extend a play with his feet. That part of his game especially came out during competitive portions — 7-on-7 and team drills — of practice. Finally, everything he does is twitchy — I think he’s a better athlete than people give him credit for. His decisions, movement in the pocket, feet are all quick.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:42 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Pundits keep harping on Allen's down year and poor completion percentage, so I decided to do some digging.

Dan Marino's stats from his final year at PITT:

58.5% 2432 yds 17 TD 23 INT

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]