Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Post subject: Senior Bowl This Week
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:40 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Tony Pauline already posted a quick blog and I was very happy to see my guy Luke Falk with a good mention.

http://draftanalyst.com/hello-mobile-0

If he addresses the arm strength issue it changes a lot of the perception on him.

The other big name Miami needs to keep an eye on is Roquan Smith. Pauline mentions here that his body type is more a safety. Matt Burke said Miami is looking for that hybrid type, and size wise it doesn't appear Smith is that much different from TJ McDonald.

Miami needs a LB upgrade and a true FS (along with a lot of other things).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:13 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Draft both of Ferrell Edmunds sons. One LB and one S out of VA Tech.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:46 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Adam Beasly reporting that Miami will meet with QB Josh Allen tomorrow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:38 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
The other big name Miami needs to keep an eye on is Roquan Smith. Pauline mentions here that his body type is more a safety. Matt Burke said Miami is looking for that hybrid type, and size wise it doesn't appear Smith is that much different from TJ McDonald.

Nice info, Jammer. I am seeing Roquan Smith rising in several of the mocks to where he may not be available to us. He would be my number 1 target if Mayfield isn't there.

I believe I heard that the safety position is weak this year in the draft.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:10 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joe Schad wrote:
Top 10 Senior Bowl targets:

1. Josh Allen, Wyoming, Quarterback, North #17 — How does he handle the national spotlight?
2. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma, Quarterback, North #6 — How does he handle intense scrutiny about his size and persona?
3. Rashaad Penny, San Diego State, Running Back, South #20 — Could be a complement back for Kenyan Drake.
4. Dallas Goedert, South Dakota State, Tight End, South #86 — Size. Skill. Upside. Small school monster.
5. Luke Falk, Washington State, Quarterback, North #3 — Could be a nice developmental player behind RT17.
6. Austin Corbett, Nevada, Guard/Tackle/Center, South #73 — Size and versatility Miami needs.
7. Will Hernandez, UTEP, Guard, North #76— Miami needs to invest in a young interior player.
8. Brian O’Neill, Pittsburgh, Tackle, North #70 — If Miami wants to move on from Ja’Wuan James.
9. Mike Gesicki, Penn State, Tight End, North #88 — Enormous red zone target.
10. Akrum Wadley, Iowa, Running Back, North #25 — Potential replacement for Damien Williams.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost. ... -dolphins/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:11 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

If Miami wants a safety I'm thinking PSU's Marcus Allen could fit the ball. Has some range, vocal leader and would allow McDonald to focus on TE coverage.

He's a 2nd Round type, maybe falls to the 3rd.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:17 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

The more video I watch of Josh Allen the more I can see why scouts love him. Even his bad games are littered with great throws.

He's not a plug and play starter, but I'm completely dismissing the comps to Gabbert, Hackenberg and Mallett (in terms of accuracy).

If he doesn't live up to the hype my guess is he ends up being bad Joe Flacco - usually low 80s QB Rating with too many interceptions.

My QB preference would be as follows:

Trade up for Sam Darnold

Take Mayfield at 11

Take one of Falk, Litton, Lauletta, K. Allen or Benkert in the 4th Round. I wouldn't reach for one of those guys in the 3rd unless the rumor on Falk is true that his arm is much better than we think. If that is the case pull trigger as early as Round 2.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:39 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Being realistic at this point, if we are to believe the growing gloom from Salguero then Miami will not go QB in Round 1. His latest blog is a tear fest about Miami thinking Tannehill is championship caliber. He hits at what I've been saying - Tannehill probably isn't a guy who gets you to the big game consistently but could have a Joe Flacco/lightning in a bottle year where a good ground game and defense opens up a hot streak for him.

Which philosophy does Miami want? Be competitive with an Alex Smith type, or risk a string of really bad seasons letting a 1st Round rookie take the reins? I don't think Tannehill and a 1st Round QB cancel each other out, except this year they may need to trade up to land of the prime targets. If that is the case then you may need to deal Tannehill for the draft capital to make it happen.

I'll keep following the QB stuff because I thoroughly enjoy it, but the focus will be on other positions Miami needs because it is likely the path they choose.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:56 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Sounds like Miami spent a lot of time with WKU QB Mike White today. Gase was supposedly watching him.

Gase, Grier and Tannenbaum were all together at the Senior Bowl. According to Matt Cannata this is the first year Gase attended with the implication he may have more power in selecting the groceries.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:36 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

jammer wrote:
Sounds like Miami spent a lot of time with WKU QB Mike White today. Gase was supposedly watching him.

Gase, Grier and Tannenbaum were all together at the Senior Bowl. According to Matt Cannata this is the first year Gase attended with the implication he may have more power in selecting the groceries.
What do you think of White, Jammer?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:58 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

k-dash wrote:
jammer wrote:

What do you think of White, Jammer?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Seems like a good prospect for the 3rd or 4th Round. I've watched what I could on him. He's from WKU like Brandon Doughty so it'll take time for him to adjust to the NFL speed. Good arm, good accuracy, but he has a bit of a hitch on his release. That type of thing doomed guys like Mike Glennon and Brady Quinn at the pro level. I'm not sure his is as bad, but when I read about it I then noticed it on video.

We got excited about a lot these guys from now until preseason but most will just end up being the next Bryce Petty, Kellen Clemens, Garrett Grayson, etc.

I keep reading about Kyle Lauletta being the stand out after the big names.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:54 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Miami met with OSU QB Mason Rudolph yesterday.

Tony Pauline reporting that Miami showing interest in Alabama C Bradley Bozeman

On the QB front I will agree with Omar Kelly - its probably news if Miami doesn't meet with a QB. They are going to talk with everyone. But, I just want to keep everyone not following up to speed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:36 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Cam Cameron was a terrible head coach, but is a very good offensive coordinator. When he didn't draft Brady Quinn, his response was that you cannot coach accuracy. Jake Locker and Jay Cutler are examples of what happens when you don't have accuracy but did well in college.

Yahoo Sports wrote:
Tuesday afternoon, there was practice. And let’s just say that he did very little to dispel concerns about his ability to throw the football accurately.

With receivers running routes against air, Allen’s first pass sailed about five yards over the head of Wisconsin tight end Troy Fumagalli. Other passes went awry thereafter, in a scrimmage situation. There were some impressive throws that showcased Allen’s big arm, but also some short tosses with way too much velocity that receivers could not hang onto.

And all that came with Denver Broncos general manager and vice president John Elway, in possession of the fifth pick in the draft, standing at the 50-yard line watching. And with fellow Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino at his side. And with representatives of every NFL team looking on from the sidelines or the stands at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

https://sports.yahoo.com/wyoming-qb-jos ... rc=fauxdal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:55 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Free agent name being connected with Miami is Jack Mewhort who was a college tackle who moved to guard in the NFL...at least that is one rumbling at the Senior Bowl.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:44 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

One thing I've noticed in all of the reports this week, especially at the QB position, is the bloggers-analysts-reporters are all pumping the tires of the guys they hyped prior to the week. Opinions are all over the place.

A few names I will now keep an eye on for Miami are QB Kyle Lauletta, RB Kalen Ballage, RB/TE Jaylen Samuels (think Charles Clay/Marquise Gray), WR James Washington, WR DaeSean Hamilton, TE Troy Fumagalli, TE Durham Smythe, OC Bradley Bozeman, OG Wyatt Teller, OG Will Hernandez, OT Brett Toth (West Point guy!), OT/OG Austin Corbett, OC/OT Mason Cole, DT BJ Hill, DT/DE Justin Jones, DT Harrison Phillios, LB Dorian O'Daniel, S Quin Blanding, S Trayvon Henderson, S Kyzir White

Not saying Miami needs these guys, but names I didn't really consider before who received good reviews. The ones I like most are Jaylen Samuels (see comments), Kalen Ballage (bruising back who catches and blocks!!), Justin Jones (edge setting DE), Dorian O'Daniel (coverage LB), and Kyzir White (center fielder).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:05 pm 

jammer wrote:
One thing I've noticed in all of the reports this week, especially at the QB position, is the bloggers-analysts-reporters are all pumping the tires of the guys they hyped prior to the week. Opinions are all over the place.

A few names I will now keep an eye on for Miami are QB Kyle Lauletta, RB Kalen Ballage, RB/TE Jaylen Samuels (think Charles Clay/Marquise Gray), WR James Washington, WR DaeSean Hamilton, TE Troy Fumagalli, TE Durham Smythe, OC Bradley Bozeman, OG Wyatt Teller, OG Will Hernandez, OT Brett Toth (West Point guy!), OT/OG Austin Corbett, OC/OT Mason Cole, DT BJ Hill, DT/DE Justin Jones, DT Harrison Phillios, LB Dorian O'Daniel, S Quin Blanding, S Trayvon Henderson, S Kyzir White

Not saying Miami needs these guys, but names I didn't really consider before who received good reviews. The ones I like most are Jaylen Samuels (see comments), Kalen Ballage (bruising back who catches and blocks!!), Justin Jones (edge setting DE), Dorian O'Daniel (coverage LB), and Kyzir White (center fielder).

Thanks Dan. I've been doing a little digging on Kyzir White, so it's interesting to me that you would mention him. He's 6' 2" 216 and ran a 4.5. Had a good year for WVU. I am intrigued.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:47 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
RB/TE Jaylen Samuels (think Charles Clay/Marquise Gray)

We loved him here at NC State. He played the RB, TE, and WR positions as he was considered our "swiss army knife". He has great hands and runs hard when he has the ball. He knows how to get open, so, he was a favorite target of our QB. He broke the NC State receiving record over former NC State receivers Torry Holt and Jerricho Cotchery. We are going to miss him next year as we used him outside the box because of his talent.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:59 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Big Dave wrote:
jammer wrote:
RB/TE Jaylen Samuels (think Charles Clay/Marquise Gray)

We loved him here at NC State. He played the RB, TE, and WR positions as he was considered our "swiss army knife". He has great hands and runs hard when he has the ball. He knows how to get open, so, he was a favorite target of our QB. He broke the NC State receiving record over former NC State receivers Torry Holt and Jerricho Cotchery. We are going to miss him next year as we used him outside the box because of his talent.

Does he have the size and speed for the NFL? A player with that versatility could save picks and roster spots for a franchise with more holes in it than Swiss cheese.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:02 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Hmmmm.....at 5’11 and 223 lbs and projected to run 4.75 in the 40, he looks more like a 3rd down back in the NFL. Versatile player, but might be a luxury pick for our lackluster roster. He’ll look good in Patriot blue.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:35 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Phinished wrote:
Hmmmm.....at 5’11 and 223 lbs and projected to run 4.75 in the 40, he looks more like a 3rd down back in the NFL. Versatile player, but might be a luxury pick for our lackluster roster. He’ll look good in Patriot blue.....

I think we need to start evaluating players based on how they can execute certain things in Gase's offense as opposed to the standard roles we are used to.

I hate to steal from the Pats but that seems to be how they research players and it works very well.

I've mentioned it before but AJ Derby, who the team is high on, lined up a lot in the slot and showed good speed there. That's not something you generally think when grabbing a TE.

If this guy is a smaller version of Charles Clay then so be it. Miami needs players who move the ball and score points.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:26 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Baker Mayfield met at length with Miami, New Orleans, Buffalo and the Jerks, I mean Jets

Also, Matt Miller reporting that an insider source told him Josh Allen is going to be a top 2 pick. Teams love the tools and think they can tame his reckless play.

We've seen a lot of hype before, but I'm starting to think 4 QBs go in the top 6 picks, and that is even if Kirk Cousins signs with Denver (5th pick) or the Jets (6th pick). Buffalo has the 21st and 22nd pick, plus a few Day 2 picks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:29 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

From Erik Galko (Optimum Scouting), Kirk Cousins' most likely suitor is Denver but Arizona is firmly in the mix.

Word from Tony Pauline and PFT is that Indy's #3 pick is big time in play as a trade up option.

If Denver gets Cousins I would imagine the 5th pick is in play too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:12 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Watched QB Mike White and came away impressed. If the Big 4 go before Miami picks watch for this guy in the 3rd Round or Miami trading up in the bottom half of the 2nd to get him. Gase supposedly likes him a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:41 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Kyle Lauletta lived up to the hype. That guy should be a 2nd or 3rd Rounder as well.

Josh Allen made some insane throws. I'm convinced he may go 1st overall. Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield and Allen are all top 6 or 7 picks. Teams will trade up.

The good news is I think the depth in this class is better than what we've seen in a few years. Could be as many as 3 or 4 potential starters beyond the big names.

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]