All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:50 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'm not offended by this. He played the past two years on his rookie contract instead of holding out. I like that he honored his contract even though he was outstanding for us and definitely outplayed his contract. Now, he wants to be paid. I love NCSU but I don't give them a hometown discount.

RotoWorld wrote:
The player rep for free agent Jarvis Landry told the Palm Beach Post his client will not accept a hometown discount from the Dolphins. The Dolphins spent the entire 2017 season trying to trade Landry, so this isn't a surprise. "Take a discount? Absolutely not," said agent Damarious Bilbo. "This may be Jarvis’ first and last time to set himself up and his family up. He needs to strike and strike while the iron is hot." Landry is expected to target elite No. 1 receiver money. Davante Adams' recent four-year, $58 million extension figures to be a baseline for Landry's asking price.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9405/jarvis-landry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:01 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Landry is a fan favorite. I love the guy, and I would pay him. To me, the Dolphins understand the fans love him, and now, all of a sudden we started hearing that he free lanced on routes and such. I think the Dolphins are leaking information to the media trying to sway pubic opinion on Landry. If he does free lance on his routes and doesn't study his playbook, then why is he every quarterback's favorite receiver? Why is he catching a very high percentage of passes thrown his way? This is 2018 and balls throw thrown to spots. His quarterbacks have not lost any respect in him. Just my two cents. We need leaders and he is a leader. To me, he's earned the money. Certain free agents you have to let them go. You cannot pay all of your free agents. Landry is one that you should keep.

Barry Jackson wrote:
“My agent and I talked about being a leader and setting a good example so I silenced all those things by going to OTAs and training camp, by putting the team first and being a team guy. I feel like in the NFL, they preach loyalty and family and they have none for you. As a player, you see it’s not a family during negotiations, how it becomes them versus me or me versus them. That’s part of the NFL I believe the fans don’t see.”

Though he said he understands the “business side of football,” he said the Dolphins’ approach “from the offer process until this point was disrespectful. I tried to handle it the right way and figured if a team values you and wants you to be a part of the team, why haven’t they answered [his agent’s counter-offer] in the past month?”

Bilbo said that the Dolphins have told him in the past couple of weeks — since the end of the season — that “they want him back.” Bilbo said there’s “still some distance” between their offers “but nothing time can’t fix. They made it clear the ball was in their court.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

https://twitter.com/phinfever/status/953993800447389697

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:02 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Be smart, Miami, be smart.

You have Grant who you really need to use more, your stash of WR's on the practice squad, you can draft Braxton Berrios with a 7th round pick who looks eerily like Wes Walker. Let Landry go.

Focus on what you actually need, a TE, and possibly a replacement for Parker as your #1 WR.

Personally, I'm rooting for Landry to go join his brother Odell on the Giants. The fights on ESPN highlights should be quite entertaining.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:02 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Only chance they have keeping him is if the market dictates it and he doesnt get a 13-14 annual offer, which he will, there are pleanty of crappy run teams, we are one and cant pay our own talent...

This is a Tannenbum run team at its finest, 3 years in and all those back loaded deals catching up, the team has no leverage to rework those contracts, and also will struggle to bring in any quality FA's without further digging this cap hole...
Nearly 50% of the 2018 salary will go to 6 players, we have 48 more to pay.....

The Miami Dolphins under Mike Tannedbum will never be a winner, his window of opportunity to buy a championship is closed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:14 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

10acjed wrote:
Only chance they have keeping him is if the market dictates it and he doesnt get a 13-14 annual offer, which he will, there are pleanty of crappy run teams, we are one and cant pay our own talent...

This is a Tannenbum run team at its finest, 3 years in and all those back loaded deals catching up, the team has no leverage to rework those contracts, and also will struggle to bring in any quality FA's without further digging this cap hole...
Nearly 50% of the 2018 salary will go to 6 players, we have 48 more to pay.....

The Miami Dolphins under Mike Tannedbum will never be a winner, his window of opportunity to buy a championship is closed

I'm with you on not being a Tannebaum fan. He overpaid a lot of guys. But...Miami can get out of almost any deal rather cheaply after 2 seasons. This year yes, they can create room but can't undo some of the bad deals. In 2019 they can unload nearly the whole team without a lot of dead money.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:29 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
I'm with you on not being a Tannebaum fan. He overpaid a lot of guys. But...Miami can get out of almost any deal rather cheaply after 2 seasons. This year yes, they can create room but can't undo some of the bad deals. In 2019 they can unload nearly the whole team without a lot of dead money.

One thing that is hurting us with Landry is that we could have signed him to extension last year that would have been cheaper than what we now have to pay. While we were throwing money all over the place signing Gase's guys (most of whom took a step backwards after getting the money), the Dolphins elected to wait on Landry who plays hard no matter what kind of money he is making. I am very unhappy with how the Dolphins have handled Landry, and this was before Barry Jackson's Landry article came out today.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:13 pm 
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

My initial fan reaction is "pay the man". But if you start reading and looking around, a lot of people in a lot of places say things like "he can be replaced", "slow receivers are everywhere", etc. The only thing I don't think you can replace is his in-game effort. I think other players feed off his energy etc, what that bring or don't bring to the table I don't know.

One thing is for certain, if they let Landry walk there will be a lot of upset fans.

That being said, if he walks out I hope he goes to a good team not named the Patriots, Bill or Jets.

Could you imagine Tom Brady with a target like Landry?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:23 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:

So 2019 is our year :fart:

On a serious note, looking at the 2019 cap # and dead money, there may be a complete rebuild coming if 18 is anything like this year....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:57 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

10acjed wrote:
jammer wrote:

So 2019 is our year :fart:

On a serious note, looking at the 2019 cap # and dead money, there may be a complete rebuild coming if 18 is anything like this year....

I've been thinking this all along. Its why I mentioned in another thread that I believe Ross says win with what we have (aka what Mike T and maybe Gase spent money on) or we rip it down to the studs. No more big FA money for other teams' players, no more monster extensions...just win.

I wouldn't be surprised if Miami made a few trades to accumulate some 2019 draft capital (meaning move back this year for picks next year).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:01 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
One thing that is hurting us with Landry is that we could have signed him to extension last year that would have been cheaper than what we now have to pay. While we were throwing money all over the place signing Gase's guys (most of whom took a step backwards after getting the money), the Dolphins elected to wait on Landry who plays hard no matter what kind of money he is making. I am very unhappy with how the Dolphins have handled Landry, and this was before Barry Jackson's Landry article came out today.

Jackson and Salguero said Miami wanted to see Parker break out, thus making Landry expendable. I guess they believed other guys would step up.

Cannata tweeted it out perfectly saying Miami has been shopping Landry since last offseason and is now smearing him, clearly someone wants him off the team.

I'm not saying this is a major factor, but consider that AJ Derby has lined up in the slot quite a bit at both Arkansas and in Denver (with success). Tannenbaum specifically mentioned him in the exit press conference. Miami may feel that between him, Grant, Carroo/Ford and a rookie that they can account for Landry's reps. Could be a fatal mistake but perhaps that is what they are thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:35 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Who the hell is Damante Adams? I’ve been out of it.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:27 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Part of the problem paying Landry is he will want in the range of 14 a year. You are only paying stills 8 a year maybe a little more. Not sure we can justify paying a slot receiver that kind of money. That I believe would make him the highest paid slot receiver in the league. Does he deserve it possible I'm just not sure we should pay that price. As much as it would be to keep your best players sometimes it just doesn't make sense. My take on is we should have traded him earlier this season.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:10 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phinsforever wrote:
Part of the problem paying Landry is he will want in the range of 14 a year. You are only paying stills 8 a year maybe a little more. Not sure we can justify paying a slot receiver that kind of money. That I believe would make him the highest paid slot receiver in the league.

I’m torn. I don’t believe any successful team has paid a fortune to their slot guy. If he is asking $14m/yr I’m not sure I would be the one blessing that deal. The salary cap is increasing. Doesn’t mean teams will be able to sign more star players.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:22 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Phinsforever wrote:
Part of the problem paying Landry is he will want in the range of 14 a year. You are only paying stills 8 a year maybe a little more. Not sure we can justify paying a slot receiver that kind of money. That I believe would make him the highest paid slot receiver in the league. Does he deserve it possible I'm just not sure we should pay that price. As much as it would be to keep your best players sometimes it just doesn't make sense. My take on is we should have traded him earlier this season.

And Stills has now had back to back great seasons! His leadership in the locker room during the anthem is second to none.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:18 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Reports now (from PFT and Salguero) are that Miami and Baltimore discussed a deal for Landry last offseason but Miami's price was too high.

Guys, they want him gone. I'm sure they'll see if a 2nd Rounder is possible which of course could create a tag and trade scenario, but most likely he'll walk and they get a late 3rd.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:44 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

If they don't sign him the team HAS TOO! tag and trade or keep him.. Getting only a third would be just stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:59 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Good nugget I read about trading Landry last year up to the deadline: he still had that legal issue hanging over his head and that may have scared teams away from the price tag.

Now that he has been cleared maybe Miami has a shot to trade him.

I've read this on Twitter as well - Denver may be willing to part with both Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders. Neither is going to fetch huge deals but we all know how Gase feels about familiarity. That could be the temporary Landry replacement.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:07 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Today, Landry stated to the press that he was making progress in his contract talks. So there's that....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:32 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I still think he stays ... and NE loses the super bowl. Once again propelling us to another great off season.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:40 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

k-dash wrote:
Today, Landry stated to the press that he was making progress in his contract talks. So there's that....

I really hope so. I am tired of us letting talented players that we drafted go somewhere else because they may be difficult. Ajayi is unteachable (and I can live with that one), but Landry is very teachable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:26 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
k-dash wrote:

I really hope so. I am tired of us letting talented players that we drafted go somewhere else because they may be difficult. Ajayi is unteachable (and I can live with that one), but Landry is very teachable.

Living with one,two. Isn't a problem......It's the way of doing business for the Dolphins..

They spent big bucks on a safety that was out on suspension and had never played a down for the team..Yet they let proven talent walk time after time.

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]