All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:44 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'm not sure where he fits in. Are we letting OC Clyde Christensen go? Also, I'm not sure what I think about him. He didn't do much with the Bears offense the last two seasons, but he didn't have a lot to work with. He is a good friend of Gase in his time with the Bears (he took over OC once Gase left to coach us).

On a personal note, I think we can do better than Loggains. I'm not really a fan.

Armando Salguero wrote:
The club on Tuesday brought former Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains to its team facility with the idea of seeing if he’s a fit to upgrade the offensive coaching staff.

Loggains spent the day with head coach Adam Gase and the two discussed Loggains taking on a significant workload in preparing the offense week to week. That work must include raising the Dolphins offense from its doldrums of the past seasons. The Dolphins averaged 17.6 points per game and finished 28th in points scored last season.

Loggains, 37, would come to the Dolphins with a reputation for running a balanced offense -- an issue the Dolphins had trouble with last season when they went into the final week having the most disproportionate pass to run ration of any NFL team.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:31 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

the hiring is done....this is one the things I abhor about the coaching field, in any sport...the buddy, buddy system seems is a higher priority than actually hiring an upgrade, someone to make a difference where it is most needed....these two go back to their Bears days and clearly the guy was going to be unemployed soon so buddy Gase hires him up, gives him a job....I'm not against people having work, they do have families and mortgages, but really, are we improving anything here? Gase can't call a game worth a lick. Will this guy do that? And is he any better? What about Clyde? Is he odd man out? Is he going to be re-assigned? Where? They have like two people already assigned to this woeful offensive line, so where is Clyde going? QB coach? So why do we need Gase then?

It stinks.....if this is the first move of the off-season to address the 2017 garbage, then nothing has changed much.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:31 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Clyde wasnt his buddy he was recommended by Peyton.
Vance Joseph also was not his buddy...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:50 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

the buddy system may not be always so obvious as all those guys run in the same world.....coaches only hire those they can work with, willing to toe the line and almost always that is achieved by having had a relationship you and me are not necessarily clued into. This latest guy is clearly the buddy system at work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:12 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

carreramia wrote:
the hiring is done....this is one the things I abhor about the coaching field, in any sport...the buddy, buddy system seems is a higher priority than actually hiring an upgrade, someone to make a difference where it is most needed....these two go back to their Bears days and clearly the guy was going to be unemployed soon so buddy Gase hires him up, gives him a job....I'm not against people having work, they do have families and mortgages, but really, are we improving anything here? Gase can't call a game worth a lick. Will this guy do that? And is he any better? What about Clyde? Is he odd man out? Is he going to be re-assigned? Where? They have like two people already assigned to this woeful offensive line, so where is Clyde going? QB coach? So why do we need Gase then?

It stinks.....if this is the first move of the off-season to address the 2017 garbage, then nothing has changed much.....

Good post. Sorry to say I agree. Thought Gase was above this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:59 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
the hiring is done....this is one the things I abhor about the coaching field, in any sport...the buddy, buddy system seems is a higher priority than actually hiring an upgrade

I'm not thrilled about it either. He must want mini-me (Loggains) watching the field while has his head buried in the playbook missing everything. Perhaps he wants to relinquish playcalling duties. I would like to see a balance in the running game. We are so quick to abandon it with the pass. I think we went through the buddy system with Wannstedt.

carreramia wrote:

It's definitely nothing to get excited about. Relieving Christensen of his OC duties was surprising as everyone said he filled the role decently, but the offense really never clicked. I am wondering if it is the shorter practices that are the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:37 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This is why no one except for Gase is excited about this move.

Barry Jackson wrote:
New Dolphins offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains was subjected to criticism from Chicago media last season, not surprising considering the Bears were 30th in total offense.

From a Nov. 15 column from David Baugh of The Chicago Tribune: “Offensive coordinators who let defenses dictate who plays end up losing more than football games. The best ones create mismatches that benefit their team. The worst ones appear miscast in their roles because they fear them. After 25 games on the job, Loggains looks more like the latter, overly cautious without being obviously creative. In sports, fearful athletes and coaches who believe that only bad things can happen to them usually are right. The tentative Bears offense is less threatening than a holiday invitation from in-laws.

“This game is about matchups and that’s the first thing we look at when we decide who’s going to be in the game,” Loggains explained, feebly.

It has been a tough week to be the Bears’ overmatched 37-year-old offensive coordinator. On Sunday, FOX analyst Chris Spielman, a former NFL linebacker, labeled the Bears offense predictable — “Run, run, pass,” Spielman said. On Wednesday [Nov. 14], ESPN.com released its ranking of the NFL’s 32 best play-callers — and Loggains finished 32nd.

While Loggains called the plays in Chicago, Gase is expected to continue to call plays for the Dolphins.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]