View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Changing of the Guard - Dolphins to win AFC East 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Changing of the Guard - Dolphins to win AFC East
Quote:
Yeah, I'm picking the Dolphins to with the AFC East. Before you panic hear me out...

With a sweep of the Jets and splits with the Patriots and Bills the Dolphins tied the Pats for the best division record in the AFC East last season. This is a team on the rise that had zero big play talent at wide receiver. Enter the sometimes abrasive Brandon Marshall who immediately fills the Phins greatest weakness on offense. With a one-two punch of Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams at running back to go along with an offensive line that mauls in the run game Miami will look to pund the rock and run play-action in the style of Bill Parcells. This will give Chad Henne the opportunity to grow into the offense and he has the tools neccessary to keep the ball moving down the field. If they can click I see a team that can eat up the clock on offense keeping an aggressive defense fresh. With a strong set of safties and young cornerbacks in Vontae Davis and Sean Smith that will grow in their second season the Dolphins have a chance to create pressure and force turnovers via a front 7 that gets at the quarterback (ranked #3 in 2009 with 44 sacks).

Now keep in mind I'm not saying the Dolphins will run away with the East, I'm not saying the Patriots are finished. What I'm saying is I believe the Dolphins are set to turn a corner in a division that will have a window open for a team to finally give the champ a punch in the snotbox. Of all the divisions in the NFL the AFC East will prove to be the most competitive and there will be some great ball games played between rivals. The schedule is difficult this season but it favors Miami down the stretch.

The Miami Dolphins will win the AFC East.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... i_Dolphins

Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Changing of the Guard - Dolphins to win AFC East
All I can say is I hope your right Dave.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:43 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, I'm picking the Dolphins to with the AFC East..........Miami will look to pund the rock

What a great editor.

But I agree with what he said. Miami took care of their number 1 need on both sides of the ball.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:48 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I'm a little hesitant to give them that much. Too many key variables that exist to say anything. I do think that this team is on it's way to being stronger in the long run. We have a good base to be productive for years to come but right now, I just think we will be a lot more competitive.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:48 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

It was a thoughtful and well reasoned analysis. It was better than most of the absurd summer super bowl predictions of the jests and cowboys.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:30 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

What it sounds to me is that the AFC East is finally a very competive division. Except for the Bills, I've read predictions of the Jets, Patriots, and the Dolphins as being AFC East champions. The lowly bills are said to be lucky to have 4 wins.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:50 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I'm hoping for a winning season for us above all else.
Then, IF we get to the SB, it will be icing on the cake, so to speak.
It's fun to predict etc., but IMO, you never know what will happen injury wise etc.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:11 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think the team has the potential to win the AFC East, but it will likely all depend on our secondary. We added a safety in the 5th round. We added by subtracting Gibril Wilson. Other than that, the pieces really haven't changed. It is the big question mark. The Dolphins offense should be much improved and yield more points. The problem is, will our secondary be giving away a lot of points again in 2010?

Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:00 pm

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I think the team has the potential to win the AFC East, but it will likely all depend on our secondary. We added a safety in the 5th round. We added by subtracting Gibril Wilson. Other than that, the pieces really haven't changed. It is the big question mark. The Dolphins offense should be much improved and yield more points. The problem is, will our secondary be giving away a lot of points again in 2010?

I disagree. The pieces have changed significantly. Mike Nolan brings in his defense...that's huge. Davis and Smith are in their second seasons. You bring in Karlos Dansby to cover the middle of the field, and that makes the safeties jobs a lot easier. Also, you have Will Allen back with is a plus. I think the equation is much different, and I think the results will prove it.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I sure hope you are right....but Dansby isn't likely to be covering those deep zones that were the successful targets of opposing QB's last season. A healthy Will Allen helps a lot....as I think he will become one of our starting CB's again. Our safeties were toasted last year....as were the rookie CB's at times. My worry is still at safety....we added a 5th rounder, and that was it.

Our pass rush might be better this year and that would make an impact, but we subtracted pass rushers and added rookies....they might not be ready to pick up the slack....although Porter and Taylor weren't great last year.

Nolan is the right guy to put it all together though....and the cupboard isn't bare, so who knows? I think it might take more than one year to pull it all together, but he was something of a miracle worker in Denver.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:57 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Quote:
With a strong set of safties
Did we sign someone I'm unaware of..haha. I wouldn't go out on a limb and coronate our safeties with a "strong" rating. I like Bell and think if he's not worried about the deep ball, he'll be a force against the run. FS is another issue altogether. Wilson wasn't a good FS that was evident. He took poor angles and missed way too many tackles. He also gave up way too many long passes. We have a rookie 5th round pick and a couple of other folks trying to win the job. Personally, how this position shapes up may determine Miami's Destiny.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:44 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

I disagree. The pieces have changed significantly. Mike Nolan brings in his defense...that's huge. Davis and Smith are in their second seasons. You bring in Karlos Dansby to cover the middle of the field, and that makes the safeties jobs a lot easier. Also, you have Will Allen back with is a plus. I think the equation is much different, and I think the results will prove it.

That Brandon Marshall guy might help the offense just a little too. :grin: I cannot wait to see what Davon Bess can do when defenses have to defend against a legit #1 WR. Bess will kill defenses underneath with the yards after catch. I hope the TE routes open up more too!!!

Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:
I cannot wait to see what Davon Bess can do when defenses have to defend against a legit #1 WR. Bess will kill defenses underneath with the yards after catch

Yes, I agree. Bess will get a lot of catches, which is why I don't think Marshall will be seeing 100 catches for a fourth straight season. It won't be that he's on a slump, it's just that A-Miami runs it more often than Denver and B-Bess will be open on every play.

Everyone wants to say that Bess is our new Welker...I believe he's just as good physically, but he really hasn't been in a situation that shows he has the football awareness of Welker (i.e. putting a foot out of bounds to touch a kickoff so the team can get it at the 40, letting his body go limp so he drops down in bounds on a critical 3rd down play against Indianapolis, or pulling the ball out of the air and immediately putting it in his left hand so the ball can touch the first down line instead of coming up short.)

This is a potent offense. I hope the defense can keep teams from putting 30 or 40 on us.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]