All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:21 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

In their pregame report for CBS, Pete Prisco and Brady Quinn touched on the topic of Cutler being a Dolphin beyond this year. They mentioned that Gase really likes Cutler, he is playing better football over the last two games and could lock up the position if he gets Miami to the playoffs after everything the team has been through this year.

All reports are Miami is going with Tannehill in 2018. But, if Cutler gets Miami to the postseason and maybe wins a game then it will be a tough call for the brass. Giving Cutler another season at $10 million and moving on from Tannehill will net the team $5 million in cap space. This draft has a lot of potential QB prospects that could give Gase a chance to choose "his guy" to groom.

I know, I know! There is a lot to still play out. But we need to consider that a lot of teams are looking for a QB upgrade and could probably acquire Tannehill for some 2nd Rounders or a future 1st Rounder. That gives Miami more ammo in the draft.

I've spent a lot of time the last two weeks reading what draft guys are saying and watching college QB videos. I strongly doubt Miami has a shot at Josh Rosen or Baker Mayfield - I think both go top 10. It sounds like Sam Darnold is leaning toward returning to school. Lamar Jackson is being downplayed now but I bet a team pulls a big trade to move up and get him. So...

I'm coming full circle on two things here. First is Cutler. We had this discussion early, then his uninspired play silenced it. Now he seems healthier and confident, and has this team looking strong. You can't deny it after watching him distribute the ball. He's even growing a playoff beard for goodness sakes!

The college QB I see Gase liking is Luke Falk. He's had some tougher times this year, but he has the quick decision/quick release that Gase will love. He has the leadership mentality that can takeover a locker room. His arm strength is comparable to Kirk Cousins (decent, not great) but he can make all the throws. I said at the start of the year he was the QB I liked for Miami. I'm coming full circle on that idea again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:43 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Talk Tannehill into staying with a 5 millon dollar pay cut. Give that to Cutler to back him up. Draft a qb in the 2nd or 3rd round to groom. Stridham, or Woodside from Toledo. Now the most important position is loaded with potential and experience.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:17 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

I doubt if Cutler will take a pay cut and 2nd banana status to live away from his family next year. I doubt too that Tannehill will take the pay cut.

I was not for Cutler as the Phins qb but will root for him. Lately he even seems to show he cares a little bit.

He is not consistent enough imo. Now win the Phins a sb and show how ignorant I am.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:33 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

AQNOR wrote:
I doubt if Cutler will take a pay cut and 2nd banana status to live away from his family next year. I doubt too that Tannehill will take the pay cut.

I was not for Cutler as the Phins qb but will root for him. Lately he even seems to show he cares a little bit.

He is not consistent enough imo. Now win the Phins a sb and show how ignorant I am.

I doubt either will happen either, when cows fly--wishful thinking and whatnot on my part. I'm happy with Tannehill, but this year just shows what happens when you don't have a viable backup (Poor Eagles.)

I'm not against bring Moore back either, but I'll take Cutler over him.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:20 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Cutler has already stated he won't take a back up job. I think Matt Moore is done in Miami.

Tannehill can be restructured down to 13 or 14 million, but it makes moving on from him more costly in 2019.

Current rumors are Kirk Cousins possibly to Denver. Tannehill's contract is pretty good for a team that has cap space and only needs him for a year or two. A team like Cleveland could really fortify their QB position by taking a top guy and spending on Tannehill for 2018 and 2019.

Just be ready for the rumors to start flying if Cutler plays well. If he doesn't then Miami is back to the original plan.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:04 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

:haha

This topic will never get old...

Jay Cutler is staying and we are dropping RT and MM now....

:yay:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:23 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Woah wait ... what? Wasn't everyone on here ready to cut him a few weeks back?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:51 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

NFLJunkie wrote:

Crazy huh. I don't know if Pete Prisco gets any inside info, but he was certainly suggesting the possibility.

If Cutler took the team to the playoffs and won a game...and, Gase sees a QB in this draft he loves and wants to groom...I think the whole conversation is wide open again.

Of course if Cutler puts up a few duds then forget the idea.

For what its worth, Salguero wrote again today that Tannehill is expected back and Miami should draft a guy to groom. I just find the conversation fun and the possibilities fascinating.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:08 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
They mentioned that Gase really likes Cutler, he is playing better football over the last two games and could lock up the position if he gets Miami to the playoffs after everything the team has been through this year.

I know you are just tossing up all the options out there, realistic or not, you are the deepest thinker on here but I don’t believe this scenario is even worth consideration. No way in hell is Cutler all the sudden lifting this team up and winning a playoff game. It’s comical.

jammer wrote:
But, if Cutler gets Miami to the postseason and maybe wins a game then it will be a tough call for the brass. Giving Cutler another season at $10 million and moving on from Tannehill will net the team $5 million in cap space. This draft has a lot of potential QB prospects that could give Gase a chance to choose "his guy" to groom.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:17 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Haha! That made me laugh. Your GIFs are unreal.

You darn well that Cutler is going to have a 4 interception game against Buffalo and all of this is null and void. The national media is talking about so I'm just bringing it here.

We always forget about an injured player and never consider how hard they may be working behind the scenes. As I mentioned, Salguero wrote about Tannehill basically having the job next year. I think he's be the first to start breaking these stories if they were true.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:27 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

NFLJunkie wrote:

:haha

It's how they roll...
Anyway the numbers don't lie.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:57 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I just find the conversation fun and the possibilities fascinating.

You're not allowed to do that on this board. You must stick with your original opinion and not change it no matter what you see during the season that might make you reverse it. Cutler sucks, it was the worse move in our history to trade Ajayi and you do not pay overpay slot receivers (Landry) no matter how well that Wes Welker fellow did.

I must say I find myself in a quandary. Do I root for us to keep winning when right now we're in the perfect draft position to grab the LB I want with the 1st pick, and that will allow us to grab a good guard with our 2nd? Or root for us to lose when maybe winning even two more games may help us establish the no quit culture we need in the locker room? I'm torn.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:36 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
jammer wrote:
I just find the conversation fun and the possibilities fascinating.

You're not allowed to do that on this board. You must stick with your original opinion and not change it no matter what you see during the season that might make you reverse it. Cutler sucks, it was the worse move in our history to trade Ajayi and you do not pay overpay slot receivers (Landry) no matter how well that Wes Welker fellow did.

I must say I find myself in a quandary. Do I root for us to keep winning when right now we're in the perfect draft position to grab the LB I want with the 1st pick, and that will allow us to grab a good guard with our 2nd? Or root for us to lose when maybe winning even two more games may help us establish the no quit culture we need in the locker room? I'm torn.

There are plenty of quality LBs and Gs to grab on Day 2. Gase is showing he hasn't lost his team despite that awful stretch. Win as much as you can because a lot these guys will still be in Miami next season.

If we knew a coaching change and complete roster overhaul was coming then I'd be ok with giving youngsters a chance to get experience at the cost of victories.

I still think Carroo needs to show whether or not he's worth further investment (if we are talking youngsters).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:01 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

zatrex99 wrote:
You're not allowed to do that on this board. You must stick with your original opinion and not change it no matter what you see during the season that might make you reverse it.

You are the only one saying this.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:14 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
zatrex99 wrote:
You're not allowed to do that on this board. You must stick with your original opinion and not change it no matter what you see during the season that might make you reverse it.

You are the only one saying this.

:)

:OMG I was being sarcastic.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:19 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

...ehh...uuse guys keep this up and you won't have anything to talk about starting in oh, three, four weeks...then what? Seven months of nothing on this board?? I didn't come here for that!

:hithead:

Miami is who their record says they is, a .500 team spinning their wheels on and on and on for the umpteenth year in a row.....we have to move on at QB, get a young guy to replace wassshisname with the knee thing, build the line, give this whisperer a couple of years to see if he's more fact than fiction and along the way, pluuuzze get rid of TennenBUM!

(but the what-ifs are interesting, keep it up!)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:27 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

carreramia wrote:
we have to move on at QB, get a young guy to replace wassshisname with the knee thing

Its not that easy. The team can be playoff competitive now. They are in the hunt for the 2nd straight year. Look at Mitch Trubisky, does he look ready to win? Just plugging in a rookie might not resonate well with the locker room.

I agree with getting a young guy now, at the latest on Day 2 of the draft. But pair him with Tannehill or Cutler for a year and let them compete. Worst case you have an overpaid but capable backup if the rookie wins.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:34 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
There are plenty of quality LBs and Gs to grab on Day 2.

I see a big play LB and then guard as our biggest needs. This draft does have a lot of potential good guards to grab in the 2nd round. With that in mind, I've really would like to see us grab Roquan Smith in the 1st round if we can. IDK if our defensive scheme really supports a big play LB, but he would be it exactly that if we could get him. None of the other 2nd day LB's have his playmaking potential.

Had we stayed where we were or are now, that would allow us to grab him and then get a good guard with our 2nd. If we keep sliding though, we may have to grab the best OL prospect with our first rounder. Roquan will be gone by then. (Just say no to DL)

Since Mayfield is going to be gone long before we pick, I'm happy to stay the course with Tannehill and draft a qb in the later rounds. I think Logan Woodside could be a huge steal in the 6th round.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:43 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

competing for a playoff nowadays for most teams is fake news....teams that back in or need quintuplet result combinations from other games just to be 7th or 8th seed, getting in by the skin of their teeth, does not progress make...we got in last year and the Steelers told the world the Fins were fake....same thing in 2008, and again in 2001...and it will happen again this year if the planets align and this sucky bunch gets in...and gawd forbid they do if that means getting Cutler back. C'mon! Who we kiddin' with this guy?

This team needs to address the fundamental problem which is lack of talent. And for that you need to draft well. Even though we have added a few good players recently which is unfortunate in the sense it gives TennenBUM credibility he doesn't deserve, we haven't landed difference makers. I was watching the Chiefs last night. Tyreek Hill 5th round and Kareem Hunt 3rd round. Difference makers. We haven't got those. Yeah, people will say KC got lucky, had they known those guys...yada, yada...but when do we get lucky? We don't because history says we are bad at drafting, year in year out.

Anyway, maybe we can't draft that QB this year, OK, but whomever we draft has to make a larger impact than Charles Harris, Laremy Tunsil, Davonte Parker, Juwan James, Dion Jordan, Ryan Tannehill, Mike Pouncey, Jared Odrick, Vontae Davis, Jake Long, Ted Ginn, Jason Allen, Ronnie Brown....I can keep going, I'm only back to 2005. Beyond that lies even more dearth, names like Vernon Carey, Eddie Moore, Jamar Fletcher....

Fix the talent. We do that we win without permutations needed to reach a stinkin' 8th seed.

Last edited by carreramia on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:31 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
Since Mayfield is going to be gone long before we pick, I'm happy to stay the course with Tannehill and draft a qb in the later rounds. I think Logan Woodside could be a huge steal in the 6th round.

The only thing I worry about with Woodside is what is the difference between him and David Fales coming out of college? Both accurate, racked up numbers and are a little undersized. When I see video of them throwing it looks like similar arm strength. Fales received some good praise prior to his senior year.

That certainly doesn't mean that Miami should avoid taking a shot on Woodside, or Mike White or this new name popping up Kyle Lauletta from Richmond. I just wouldn't get my hopes up that any will be a direct challenge to the starter in 2018.

I'm still holding out hope that Clayton Thorson enters the draft. WV's Will Grier just said he's returning to school. No word yet on Drew Lock from Mizzou or Jarret Stidham from Auburn.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:07 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Let’s hope not.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:23 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Why? He is horrible.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:34 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I just wouldn't get my hopes up that any will be a direct challenge to the starter in 2018.

I'm not, just looking for some potential steals since I really doubt we take a QB in the first two rounds. I'm not enamored with any in this draft except for Mayfield.

And despite his performance today, Cutler is still worth resigning as the back up. It's too bad we can't give his pocket presence to Tannehill.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:59 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

No. Even though the defense was disappointing yesterday, Cutler threw the game away. He was lucky to only have 3 interceptions.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:50 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

The sooner Cutler is gone the better, 10 million wasted imo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:42 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Moore could have won 6 games. Cutler did not look upset after that last pick. I think he is done.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:50 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The only extension he should get is the extension of Ross' foot punting him out the door.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:06 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

...then after that, Ross calls Gase into his office and demands "how da hell did you talk me into that guy?!" ....and "for ten millions of my dollars!?? I could have hired a donkey for hay and we wouldn't know the difference!"......and as Ross begins to turn to leave, he stops, puts his finger to his mouth like, yeah, it's time I said this. He moves over to Gase and in a slow, low tone, he asks: "......and by the way, is that your personnel evaluations skills at work there? And you want me to fire TennenBUM, errr...excuse me, Tennenbaum?"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:36 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

And so ends this thread... :haha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:19 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Gase analyzes Cutler's interceptions here. The third one should never happen from a veteran quarterback. You don't chuck the ball up in the air to avoid a sack.

Barry Jackson wrote:
On Jay Cutler’s performance: “We had three interceptions and four times we lost the ball. It’s not one of the best days that he’s had. He’s trying to do things we talked about doing. There were a few times where we’re throwing the ball a lot there in the second half. You start pressing a little bit. He took a couple of the matchups we talked about taking. The first pick there is nothing I can tell him to do different.

The [second one], I wish he would have done something different. [On the third pick], end of game, he’s trying to make sure he doesn’t take a sack. That one is unfortunate. We need to do a better job of putting ourselves in better position, make sure we get the ball out on time and get it to the right guy. We all have to be on the same page.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:05 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A little more info here from 'Mando and Barry Jackson ....

:hithead: if Gase is serious about bringing Cutler back.

Armando Salguero wrote:
Well, as colleague Barry Jackson wrote Monday, the Dolphins are going to use the final two games to gain clarity at certain positions. And one of Barry’s nuggets is the Dolphins want more clarity on Cutler because they might (or might not) bring him back in 2018.

Are you kidding me?

The team needs to see more to make a decision?

And that decision might ultimately be to bring Cutler back as a backup to Ryan Tannehill?

Can someone please point me to a steep cliff so I can set myself on fire and dive off?

What don’t the Dolphins understand about Cutler is not very good?

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:52 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

:yay: Who didn't see this coming? There is no way that Cutler comes back as a back up. And he shouldn't if he has a broadcasting job lined up still.

Joe Schad wrote:
Miami Dolphins quarterback Jay Cutler indicated Wednesday he is unlikely to continue his NFL career next season if he is not a starter.

“Yeah, I think so,” Cutler said. “I wouldn’t want to move again or go somewhere just to back up.”

Cutler came out of retirement and delayed his broadcasting career to help friend and Dolphins coach Adam Gase after Ryan Tannehill’s injury.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost. ... ure-plans/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:08 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I wouldn't want that guy back if he was the last QB on earth....Gase has to eat this one and talk Cutler out of any notion or idea that Gase would want him back in any capacity....I take it back, as a bus driver, or jock picker upper, yes, those two would fit him just right.

Time to draft a QB darn it!! And a top candidate not some project....If the right guy falls near us, trade up!!! Enough of this nonsense. If T-Hill performs, fine, a year for the new kid to groom....if T-Hill breaksdown, then the new kid gets trial by fire...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:32 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Let's see, a couple of million dollars to hold the clipboard on the sidelines or 350,000 dollars a yr to announce football games...hmmmm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:37 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

you left out.....if (when) he has to go in, a couple of million to get your head knocked off, knees buckled, ribs punctured, concussed that you can't remember what day it is, a mouthful of artificial turf and have yourself and your ancestry ridiculed daily in local media plus of course outstanding message boards like this one.....or 350k to look pretty and work 4 hrs a week....hmmmmmm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:33 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

zatrex99 wrote:
Let's see, a couple of million dollars to hold the clipboard on the sidelines or 350,000 dollars a yr to announce football games...hmmmm

Is it only $350K? He could probably get $4 million as a backup (somewhere). Swallow the pride, Jay. That's smart money, although it is more work than being an announcer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:12 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:
you left out.....if (when) he has to go in, a couple of million to get your head knocked off, knees buckled, ribs punctured, concussed that you can't remember what day it is, a mouthful of artificial turf and have yourself and your ancestry ridiculed daily in local media plus of course outstanding message boards like this one.....or 350k to look pretty and work 4 hrs a week....hmmmmmm

No Job is perfect!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:16 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
zatrex99 wrote:

Is it only $350K? He could probably get $4 million as a backup (somewhere). Swallow the pride, Jay. That's smart money, although it is more work than being an announcer.

I would if I were him, and though not a popular opinion on the board, if the team keeps Tannehill and he could be talked into staying for 3-4 million, I'd take him. That way you have a back-up that could do all right and knows the system. He is an upgrade over Moore.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:39 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

after watching this guy do absolutely nothing this year why would the Dolphins benefit from having him back? As a backup? He would be first of all a heck of a distraction there, people wondering when he'll go in if things for T-Hill don't go well. Yes, as crazy as that sounds, there will be people, like here on this board, that would want that. That makes no sense but somehow Cutler has this unexplainable aura that no matter how much he stinks he somehow emanates the perception that he can do well.

To me he emanates something else but I'll keep it clean for now.

Second, Moore is the perfect backup, low key, out of the way, no distractions, and he injects something I don't know what or how, into the team when called in relief. That doesn't last we know but he is a proven relief pitcher when called upon. Cutler is the ultimate underachiever, he does not bring out the best in any team, why would the Dolphins want that kind of downer there? He goes into the game in relief, the game goes in the tank, then we'll hear all the mumbo jumbo press conference junk that he will work with the 1st team and get the kinks worked out, yada, yada.

Hate to see the season end, but if there's one upside is to see this guy get the heck out of town never to come back. If I ever had any questions why this guy was so detested every where he's been, now I've seen it up close and for myself, and I now understand.

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]