....for undisclosed picks

Bills release Jelani Jenkins as well

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:32 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Project86JLL13 wrote:

Yes. Worst D in the NFL does not want a player. If Miami gave up a boxed lunch then it is a good trade.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:14 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

They gave up a 5th Rounder.

I remember Tony and I both really liking Stephone Anthony in our draft discussions a couple years ago. Hopefully a fresh start reignites his career. He certainly has the talent.

And seriously, what does it say about Jelani Jenkins, Neville Hewitt and Kelvin Sheppard (all unemployed) that Miami would rather give up a pick than sign one of those guys for the minimum. They must either be hurt or the team has little faith in them beating out the current crop.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:44 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Dphins4me wrote:
Project86JLL13 wrote:

Yes. Worst D in the NFL does not want a player. If Miami gave up a boxed lunch then it is a good trade.

5th round pick/boxed lunch are about the same value.
Not bad price to pay for a young athletic linebacker. Some good* coaching and this kid could turn out to be a positive contributor to the defense, maybe even develop into something more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:48 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

jammer wrote:
They gave up a 5th Rounder.

I remember Tony and I both really liking Stephone Anthony in our draft discussions a couple years ago. Hopefully a fresh start reignites his career. He certainly has the talent.

And seriously, what does it say about Jelani Jenkins, Neville Hewitt and Kelvin Sheppard (all unemployed) that Miami would rather give up a pick than sign one of those guys for the minimum. They must either be hurt or the team has little faith in them beating out the current crop.

Jenkins was release right before the news of the trade broke. Wonder if the trade would have even occurred had the organization known of Jenkins release. He wasnt the best linebacker, but I do remember he had some good sideline to sideline speed and was decent in pass coverage.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:45 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Jenkins was always hurt. This guy is young and 2 years ago (I think) made the all-rookie team. Then it seems they moved him to OLB instead of MLB and he struggled. If his natural position is MLB, play him there, put Rey and Kiko outside and keep Hull warming up in the bullpen.

I still don't get the Hewitt deal. He must be hurt badly enough to be out for a while, because I thought he was showing good promise.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:07 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Hewett missed all of the preseason with a shoulder injury.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:26 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Jenkins, Hewitt and Sheppard didn't get it done last year. Why bring backers that can't couldn't get it done?

Anthony is probably a grasp in the dark, but at least they see the problem at LB. We didn't do enough for this position in the offseason and it's going to cost us.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:10 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

zatrex99 wrote:
We didn't do enough for this position in the offseason and it's going to cost us.

I disagree. We extended Alonso, used our 2nd round pick on a promising rookie and brought in a proven vet.

It is not the front office's fault that the rookie sustained a season ending injury and the proven vet lost his mind.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:14 am 

Misi is also out for the season. I know, I know, he sucks. But he was good against the run and would have been solid in a 4 man rotation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:43 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Shot in the dark with this BUST. We shall see though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:53 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
zatrex99 wrote:
We didn't do enough for this position in the offseason and it's going to cost us.

I disagree. We extended Alonso, used our 2nd round pick on a promising rookie and brought in a proven vet.

It is not the front office's fault that the rookie sustained a season ending injury and the proven vet lost his mind.

Except we lost the rookie in the first preseason game and knew by then Misi wouldn't play much this season. We had to know by then our depth wasn't that great, so why not make a move before now?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:37 am 

zatrex99 wrote:
Rich wrote:
zatrex99 wrote:

Except we lost the rookie in the first preseason game and knew by then Misi wouldn't play much this season. We had to know by then our depth wasn't that great, so why not make a move before now?

Any move you make by the time the first preseason game starts is to basically pile more garbage up on top of the garbage pile. If the player is good, he isn't going to be available after the first preseason game.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:53 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Just dug up Matt Miller's scouting evaluation of Anthony on Bleacher Report.

Graded him as an impact rookie and future starter. Gave him a comp of Karlos Dansby.

If Miami can get him to that level its a steal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:10 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

If healthy.....IR last season

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:58 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

No doubt Gase can.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:04 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Project86JLL13 wrote:

Jay Ajayi = 5th Rder.

Project86JLL13 wrote:
Not bad price to pay for a young athletic linebacker. Some good* coaching and this kid could turn out to be a positive contributor to the defense, maybe even develop into something more.

Not discounting him. However facts are. He could not win a starting spot on one of the worst D's in the NFL. Maybe its coaching and I will waiting and see, but I'm really not holding out hope that he turns into the player that made him a 1st Rd. pick.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:08 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

ot discounting him. However facts are. He could not win a starting spot on one of the worst D's in the NFL. Maybe its coaching and I will waiting and see, but I'm really not holding out hope that he turns into the player that made him a 1st Rd. pick.

bingo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:04 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Dphins4me wrote:
Project86JLL13 wrote:

Jay Ajayi = 5th Rder.

Project86JLL13 wrote:

Yep, because all fifth rounders turn into Ajayi's. Maybe we should have just called Carolina and offered the fifth for Kuechly, then. :haha

Ajayi was a first round grade with bad knees that caused him to fall through the rounds. Most 5th round picks are throw aways, but I can sit here and Google the players selected in fifth round or later that became studs as well, but it isn't often. Would rather take a chance on someone already in NFL who looked to be on the road to making something of himself in the NFL than try to throw poo at the wall and hope it sticks.

Great mov. Young, under contract for only next two years, low risk.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:46 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Dphins4me wrote:
Not discounting him. However facts are. He could not win a starting spot on one of the worst D's in the NFL. Maybe its coaching and I will waiting and see, but I'm really not holding out hope that he turns into the player that made him a 1st Rd. pick.

Seems like the Saints reached for him. All of the old scouting reports I can find graded him a 3rd Rounder with starting potential. So if we set our expectations at him developing to maybe what Misi should have been then this will work out as a nice trade.

Seems like the biggest problem with Anthony is instincts, and I'm not sure how you coach that up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:37 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

He was pretty good his 1st year...Maybe he gets back to that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:32 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Project86JLL13 wrote:

Yep, because all fifth rounders turn into Ajayi's. Maybe we should have just called Carolina and offered the fifth for Kuechly, then.
Sarcasm not lost. Just like all 1st Rounders turn into something worth while. So if that is how you view it. Why not trade a 1st?

Project86JLL13 wrote:
Ajayi was a first round grade with bad knees that caused him to fall through the rounds. Most 5th round picks are throw aways, but I can sit here and Google the players selected in fifth round or later that became studs as well, but it isn't often. Would rather take a chance on someone already in NFL who looked to be on the road to making something of himself in the NFL than try to throw poo at the wall and hope it sticks.

Great mov. Young, under contract for only next two years, low risk.
I'm not saying Anthony is not worth while, but if a team is going to go to a team, do not go get a player from a bad team, that is not capable of even starting for them

Ajayi was a 1st Rd. grade?

From NFL.com
Quote:
Draft Projection Round 2

Ajayi as a second-tier running back who offers good value on the second day of the draft.

If you want to come at me with sarcasm. At least know what you speak of.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:58 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
I'm not saying Anthony is not worth while, but if a team is going to go to a team, do not go get a player from a bad team, that is not capable of even starting for them

The Saints wanted to cut him, but they felt they could get a trade for him from a desperate team ... which is us. He is better at ILB which is what he played his rookie year. The Saints moved him to the outside due to his lack of instincts in reading the play. He actually played worst. It sounds as if the NFL is just a little too fast for him.

ESPN had him a late 2nd round pick and the third best ILB in the draft. I'm interested to see if we can get anything out of him as he does have talent. I think we could have held out for a 6th round pick for him if we'd waited, but I am ok with trading our 5th round pick. Here's hoping.

ESPN's thoughts on the pick wrote:

My take: This time, the Saints addressed one of their biggest needs. In fact, I had inside linebacker ranked as their No. 1 need because they have to get both younger and more dynamic throughout the entire linebacking corps. I wouldn't call Anthony a "steal" (ESPN analysts Todd McShay and Mel Kiper had him rated 50th and 57th overall, respectively), but I have no problem with the pick since I thought the Saints had to come away with one of six top-rated inside linebackers with either pick No. 31 or 44.

A little of everything: Saints coach Sean Payton said the Saints had a handful of inside linebackers with similar grades, but he said Anthony separated himself in a number of ways. He began his breakdown of Anthony by talking up his intelligence and leadership (he played four years at Clemson with 35 career starts) and said his name came up right away with interviews from everyone on campus. Then Payton said Anthony's production on film (221 tackles, 6.5 sacks and two interceptions over the past two years), his size (6-foot-3, 243 pounds) and his combine workout were just as impressive. Anthony's 40-yard dash time of 4.56 seconds tied for third among all linebackers and defensive linemen at the combine.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/ ... irst-round

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:37 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I cannot imagine where Miami would be with out this deal. Has he even been on the field?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:33 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
I cannot imagine where Miami would be with out this deal. Has he even been on the field?

According to PFF, he has zero snaps this year which means that he hasn't seen the field. Without a full training camp, I cannot see him doing much of anything for us this year unless we start to lose linebackers. The front office traded for him, but the coaches decide if he sees the field.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:35 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Mike Tannenbum was not doing anything in the NFL either when hired to run the Dolphins...

Maybe its a trend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:56 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

10acjed wrote:
Mike Tannenbum was not doing anything in the NFL either when hired to run the Dolphins...

Maybe its a trend

I do believe he was kissing Ross' rear end at the time.

:haha

The GMs bring in the players but it is up to the coaches to play them. Barry Jackson reported that he is learning the SAM position right now. The following is an encouraging update on him.

Joe Schad wrote:
“Every decision we make, in terms of game-day actives, are sort of a big-picture, team thing,” Dolphins defensive coordinator Matt Burke said Thursday. “And where all those guys fit in. Steph’s done a good job, he really has. He’s big and can run. He’s been learning the system. We’ve settled him in a little bit. We’re trying to give him a couple spots where if for some reason we got him up on game day, we would have a role for him.”

Burke said Anthony has a good mindset.

Stephone Anthony

“He’s a really energetic kid,” Burke said. “He’s happy to be here. He’s just waiting for his opportunity. But he looks good. He’s a big dude that can run. So you know he’s out there. You see him a lot mostly on the scout team stuff.”

Burke said Anthony has simulated Raiders pass-rusher Bruce Irvin this week.

“Be an end, be a linebacker,” Burke said. “They move him around because he’s such a versatile athlete. We’re trying to work him in and find a spot where we can get him going. We’ve been playing him mostly at SAM linebacker, behind Lawrence Timmons. He feels good. He’s done a good job. So I actually said to him the other day, because you worry as a coach, with him getting frustrated, having been traded. I was like, ‘Hey man, your time is going to come.’ And he’s like, ‘I’m good coach. I’m ready when you call on me.’ So his attitude has been great. He’ll have a chance at some point to perform and contribute for us.”

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost. ... ony-doing/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:20 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

He did play on 3rd downs last week.... Looked pretty good.

He is having knee issues still and missed practice this week.. Per Miami Herald

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:35 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Kev1321 wrote:
He did play on 3rd downs last week.... Looked pretty good.

He is having knee issues still and missed practice this week.. Per Miami Herald

Nice observation. I was going to post his stats from the last game but ADD must have kicked in and sent me in a different direction. It's good to see that after the first 9 games that Burke finally made some adjustments to "improve" our coverage on tight ends.

BTW, every time I see Chase Allen play, the more I like this kid. Maybe we'll release him next summer and let the Patriots make a star out of him.

Armando Salguero wrote:
The Dolphins defense is also managing injuries, with defensive end William Hayes and linebacker Stephone Anthony both missing practice on Wednesday.

Hayes has a back injury that could cause him to miss Sunday’s game, per a league source, while Anthony is managing a quadriceps injury that makes his status for Sunday uncertain at best.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

https://grades.profootballfocus.com/#/r ... yTeamId=17

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:10 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Anthony makes impact: Linebacker Stephone Anthony has gotten increased playing time in recent week, and in the process has shown the kind of athletic ability that made him a first-round pick in the 2015 NFL draft. Anthony was acquired early this season in a trade with the New Orleans Saints, but had appeared in only one game before the Tampa Bay game Nov. 19. His snaps on defense have gone from 12 to 18 to 29 the past three games. He tied for the team lead with four initial tackles against Denver. Gase praised Anthony’s work on the scout team before he got his chance for playing time on defense. “I’m seeing a guy that’s playing with a lot of energy,” Gase said. “I’ve been impressed with his overall attitude

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:16 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

If Raekwon McMillan come back healthy and Anthony can be a decent starter then Miami's LB group is in decent shape. Chase Allen seems like a good depth guy. When healthy Neville Hewitt can provide solid depth.

Miami gave up a 5th for Anthony and will draft another. They had to spend multiple picks on the position anyway.

Timmons' contract can be voided after this season since he forfeited guarantees. One more year of Alonso and then his contract can be purged, unless his play improves next year.

I don't think the position is that far off from being a solid unit. One of the problems is Miami's DL was supposed to be the catalyst for this defense. They had a decent stretch earlier in the year and played well against Denver, but we need to see a heck of a lot more from them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:22 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

We need a qb that can get 1st downs......

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]