All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:46 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Still have to go over the defense for this little therapeutic blog, but for the moment let's review which questions need to be answered over the final quarter of the season.

First thing I will note is that the result of the game against Denver did not change much. Miami beat a very bad team at home. A few of the younger guys had notable performances and that ties in to these questions we need answered.

Adam Gase is not going to tank nor will he simply showcase the youth. The only way some of the younger guys get snaps is if the vets mail it in. Gase is going to push for wins because that is what Gase is focused on. He of course become the focus of the first question...

Will Adam Gase learn from his 2017 mistakes? Prior to the 2015 season I was very optimistic. I thought the combination of Stephen Ross, Mike Tannenbaum, Joe Philbin, Bill Lazor and Kevin Coyle were learning from their mistakes and finally in unison. Whoops!

Gase is stubborn, egotistical and still learning as a head coach. He backs his guys, that much is clear, and they play hard for him. But can he learn to separate himself from "his guys" for the sake of the team? Can he do a better job finding mismatches and game planning? We need to see more of the guy who seemed to adjust to team strengths in 2016. He can get a head start on that this month.

Should Kenyan Drake be getting more plays designed for him? Drake could ultimately be the perfect combo of 15 carries and 3 to 5 catches per game. He should be a weapon Miami can build around, but maybe not the workhorse back Jay Ajayi assumed he would be. I'd love to see Gase start using Drake as a receiver the way the Patriots use their backs. Cutler stinks at the deep ball so spreading the defense to give Drake some YAC room could translate to big plays.

Speaking of big plays, its sink or swim time for Devante Parker. He is being taken out of the game too easily by opposing defenses. Where is the guy who was laying out for deep throws last year or taking a 5 yard pass and turning it into a 20 yard gain? Well that isn't really the question I intended here but it drives this one - Is it time for Leonte Carroo to take Parker's snaps? If you watch video of Carroo's play at Rutgers he just always seemed to track the ball well and make the catch. He never had insane separation or a highlight reel of circus catches (ala Parker) but he had a knack for making the catch getting a lot of YAC. Maybe he has proven to slow for the NFL, or mentally cannot grasp the offense. If not it might be time to see if he was worth trading up to get and whether the position needs more attention in the draft.

Is Jesse Davis the future at either RG or RT? I watched a string of videos of him against Denver and man was he impressive. He might be the strongest OL guy Miami has. Clyde Christensen described him as more of a tackle but since switching to RG he has been awesome. I think Gase should start the kid at whichever spot he intends for him to play in 2018 and see if his play elevates more in December.

What to do at TE? Julius Thomas is on the books for $6.6 million next season and never lived up to the hype this year. Gase will tell you at has to do with matchups (again, can he learn as well) but we all know what we've seen. Armando Salguero said Thomas's improved play in the last few weeks may have saved his job for next year. That bothers me. Anthony Fasano could be back cheaply or could retire. I'm not saying bench the guys who have played all year, but similar to the Parker/Carroo situation I think Gase owes it to the offense to see if AJ Derby is serviceable. Give him some snaps, see if he can block and whether he can make similar catches that Thomas has flashed recently. The purse strings will be tight next season and the front office will need to know if bringing back Thomas and/Fasano is needed due to no one in the bullpen.

Buckle up folks, this could be a very exciting final stretch if the offense can somehow dial up some more efficient play.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:14 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

While we do get to see some of these players play because of injuries, don't look for Gase to tank the season. First of all I don't think it is in him, and secondly 8-8 might make the playoffs.

it will be interesting to see what defensive end Cameron Malveaux and Harris do with Branch and Hayes injured.

LB I think is a key position to evaluate. While I suspect we draft DE or CB with our first pick, there is a LB in this draft that can cover TE's: Mallick Jefferson.

I'll make another bold prediction. Watch Miami offer Cutler 5 million next year to back up Tannehill. I'm also guessing Miami has a set price for Landry at around 8 million a year and he walks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:03 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I suspect Landry is gone as well. This team likes to find and develop talent and then let it go to opponents so that the player haunts us for years.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:26 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
While we do get to see some of these players play because of injuries, don't look for Gase to tank the season. First of all I don't think it is in him, and secondly 8-8 might make the playoffs.

it will be interesting to see what defensive end Cameron Malveaux and Harris do with Branch and Hayes injured.

LB I think is a key position to evaluate. While I suspect we draft DE or CB with our first pick, there is a LB in this draft that can cover TE's: Mallick Jefferson.

I'll make another bold prediction. Watch Miami offer Cutler 5 million next year to back up Tannehill. I'm also guessing Miami has a set price for Landry at around 8 million a year and he walks.

I purposely didn't address any defense yet. Since I only wrote about the offense I kept the questions in that category.

I agree with you on low balling Landry, unless Gase pulls a power move. I like your bold predictions, but I can't see Cutler taking a backup job and Miami will not have the money to pay that much for backup. I think Moore only makes like $1.5 million.

Miami is going to have some financial decisions to make on defense so a rookie backup makes a heck of a lot of sense (or a rookie and Moore if they keep three QBs).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:04 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:

Cleveland GM Sashi Brown was just fired. Mike Silver is reporting that Brown had all say over personnel and the current QBs were not who Hue Jackson wanted. Hue Jackson's job is safe for 2018.

Where am I going with this you ask? There was some discussion about Hue Jackson as a candidate for the Miami job prior to Gase's hiring. One of the key points, and Tannenbaum requirement, was that Jackson really liked Ryan Tannehill. Now that Jackson has won his power struggle in Cleveland and they will get a new GM, some trade possibilities begin to pop up.

Cleveland currently has the following picks in the draft:

Two 1st Rounders
Three 2nd Rounders
One 3rd Rounder
Two 4th Rounders
Two 5th Rounders
One 6th Rounder
One 7th Rounder

Their roster is full of young talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball. They have a ton of cap space, and we saw they were willing to take on a big contract for a guy they could easily cut (Brock Osweiler). With the Ravens aging, Big Ben dabbling with possible retirement, and Cincy in flux, would Cleveland make a bold trade for one Ryan Tannehill?

They could literally deal away their 2nd day of the draft for him, and spend a high pick on a guy Hue Jackson would like to groom. The only 1st Rd prospect who seems ready to start Day 1 is Josh Rosen. Cleveland could make power moves for both the short and long term.

Why would Miami do it? Gase likes Jay Cutler, and word from the beat writers is Cutler wants to play another year. If Miami can get Gase's QB of choice in the 1st Round knowing that they'll have a ton of Day 2 picks to restock the OL and LBs then it makes you think.

Miami lacks cap room. Mike Tannenbaum certainly likes to wheel and deal on draft day. It might not be as crazy as it sounds, especially if Miami has a successful December with Cutler at the helm.

This all just sort of formulated in my head after I read about Sashi Brown's power and the rift that developed between him and Jackson. Crazier things have certainly happened (see the Minnesota deal for Sam Bradford when they knew they had a good enough cast to support a decent QB).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:59 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I purposely didn't address any defense yet. Since I only wrote about the offense I kept the questions in that category.

Oops, jumped the shark, sorry.

Quote:
I agree with you on low balling Landry, unless Gase pulls a power move. I like your bold predictions, but I can't see Cutler taking a backup job and Miami will not have the money to pay that much for backup. I think Moore only makes like $1.5 million.

Considering he took a studio job for 350,000, I'd offer him 2-3 million for a year as back up. I'm sure after this year, he doesn't want to follow Romo who is just killing it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:20 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Why would Miami do it? Gase likes Jay Cutler, and word from the beat writers is Cutler wants to play another year. If Miami can get Gase's QB of choice in the 1st Round knowing that they'll have a ton of Day 2 picks to restock the OL and LBs then it makes you think.

While I like the way you think, everything I've read suggests Tannehill really is Gase' guy. He's not going anywhere.

And our win this week put us at 10th in the draft order, and I can only see it going down. I'll take the over on winning two more games this season. Unless Cleveland swaps their 1st overall pick with ours and takes Tannehill, we won't be in position to take one of the big 3 (Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield.) All three will go in the first five rounds, and somebody will move into the top 8 to take Jackson.

That leaves Allen to drop, who ironically is just the type of QB Gase would want. Phenomenal talent, but a head case. Strictly Boom or bust.

I think any other qb worth drafting and sitting for a year or two can be had in the second or even third round.

Now if we stay where we are at or keep dropping down draft position wise, I'd actually be ecstatic because that's about where some of the best OL talent will go, aside from Quenton Nelson. I'm high on Mike McGlinchey. The other position I'm hopeful for I'll wait until you discuss defense.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:21 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

While it's a crazy time right now and rumors are the like the flying monkey's in Wizard of OZ, these are the ones that seem most persistent.

Hugh Jackson really likes Rosen, and might still trade to grab McCarron while keeping Kiser. Imagine having that qb room.

Until they fired their coach and GM, the Giants were high on Darnold. Still might be, and Accorsi (the man who drafted Elway) will be advising on the draft.

Both the Jets and Arizona really like Josh Allen.

No word on who likes Mayfield or Jackson. Some personnel men think Mayfield is the next Russell Wilson, and opinion I agree with. Jackson might be RG3 2.0 or Vick 2.0. I think it will be the former, he runs recklessly.

To make it even crazier, SF is trying to lock up Garroppolo but is interested in Cousins at the right price, if Garroppolo makes it difficult.

Alex Smith with most likely hit the open market.

All of which means two things I think. If Miami is unsure about Tannehill, this off season is the right time to make a move. Two, it lowers Tannehill's trade value.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:18 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Please understand that half the time I write up these crazy conspiracy theories it is to generate more talk on the boards. Just makes things more fun.

I'd say there is a 99% chance Tannehill is starting for Miami in 2018. I think they finally take a QB on Day 2 because the depth is there. I'm not sure, as I've said too many times already, that the top talent rivals what we've seen in 2016 and 2015.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Tannenbaum being very active in trades. Just have a gut feeling Parker is dealt for a Day 2 pick. Some team will look at his film from last year and think they can be the ones to coach up greatness.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:35 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Please understand that half the time I write up these crazy conspiracy theories it is to generate more talk on the boards. Just makes things more fun.

I know, I know, I sort of shut you down. Let me try again. Cleveland wants Tannehill but will only give up their 2nd round pick (the first in the round.) We talk them into also giving us a 2nd round pick for Parker.

We trade up with SF at number 3 overall, giving them them our first rounder this year, next year, and Cleveland's 2nd round at 1st overall to take Baker Mayfield, and resign Cutler for 8 million. We use our 2nd round pick on best OL available, the 2nd rounder for Parker on either OL or LB. Then we trade our 3rd round pick to Pitt for Martavis Bryant, Wr.

Would anyone go for that?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:51 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

That would be a Sonny Weaver Jr. draft.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:43 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

FINesse wrote:
That would be a Sonny Weaver Jr. draft.

LOL, yes it would. It's worth it if you have a conviction on the guy and you think he could be the next Dan Marino, Brett Farvre, etc. But you have to have that conviction, and you have to actually see him not be dreaming on what he could be. You also need to be willing to develop him.

While that movie is fiction and hyper exaggerated, some of the real stupid thinking that went on it, actually happens. One of my favorite documentaries is 30/30 From Elway to Marino. It's almost unbelievable how some teams are ran (or were).

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]