All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:50 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Couple of points before I dive into this - I am not writing what I think Miami should do, instead I'll be looking at what I think Stephen Ross and company will do. Second, this is therapeutic for me so I don't much care who agrees or disagrees. Just getting thoughts down on paper to make sense of this gross season which is thankfully almost over.

When Miami closes out its season on December 31st against Buffalo there will be some big decisions that Stephen Ross, Mike Tannenbaum and Adam Gase will have to make. While there is reportedly some conflict brewing between the latter two I do not expect either will be gone. Ross will look at the success of 2016 and conclude that injuries had a lot to do with the let down of 2017. Tannenbaum will say he underestimated how bad some of the cheap talent would be and Gase will say perhaps he can't simply make chicken salad with chicken bleep just yet. They will promise to fix it and Ross will give his blessing. Chris Grier, based on everything I've read, is more of a scout and does not have the heavy hand in decision making. He stays too.

Changes will come on offense, make no mistake about that. The poor preparation, the lack of discipline, the inability to execute and the fact that Gase had to scale back his play book are really bad signs. I don't know enough about the positional coaches to give my two cents there, but I think some will lose their jobs. OC Clyde Christensen gives nice interviews but beyond that he is just an assistant to Gase, therefore I think he keeps his job as Gase will not let go of play calling. He will argue that with Ryan Tannehill back at QB the offense will be crisp and more efficient. So some positional coaches and some players get churned, but nothing major in terms of an OC dismissal.

Matt Burke may be in over his head on defense, but there was a stretch where he had them playing well. Its not like he was given a Pro Bowl roster to work with. Injuries took away Raekwon McMillian (who looked great in camp) and Tony Lippett (who was coming on as a nice 3rd CB). Lawrence Timmons went AWOL and has lately looked like a guy who knows he's out of Miami in 5 weeks (playing with less effort). Byron Maxwell freelanced on his own, causing coverage problems and forcing Miami to start a rookie who wasn't ready. Ok, enough excuses. Burke still has to show more and perhaps this season is a good learning lesson for him. He has a great reputation in the league and was considered a rising star. He made a big jump and I don't think Ross nor Gase are ready to make a hasty move. He comes back for another year to prove himself.

Darren Rizzi is probably safe too. He's been in Miami forever, seems to be a leader of men and is the assistant HC to Gase. Whenever I think of him I can't get that image of his eyes popping out his head during the MNF game against Cincinnati. That was hilarious and showed how intense he can be. The fact of the matter is the ST unit has gotten worse this year. Getting rid of Matt Darr was a mistake. I get that they wanted the left footed punter because it messes up opposing returners but this wasn't like cutting Shane Lechler to save $3 million. Also, why is Jakeem Grant even on the team? He has been a mental mess at times, is not allowed to take the ball out of the end zone and seems to be outdone by Jarvis Landry and Kenyan Drake. Are these Rizzi's decisions? If so you have to wonder if he, like Gase, got a little too cocky after last season's success.

So here we sit at the near conclusion of Year 2 under Adam Gase. One year of success, one of big disappointment. I don't foresee any major shakeups because Ross will want to know which year was accurate and which was the aberration. Because of the big contracts doled out this past March there really isn't a chance for Miami to hit the reset button this April. It doesn't mean a rebuild is not in order. I think they will look for foundational players in the draft and be a bit more cautious about which positions to value. The young guys clearly weren't ready for the task at hand.

As for Gase, I truly do not believe he is going anywhere even if next season is a bust. He was hired with the caveat of winning with Ryan Tannehill. He did that in Year 1, did not get his shot in Year 2. He can easily say to Ross that Ryan is a valuable asset but I want my own guy and time to develop him. Gase's reputation around the league is excellent and despite some grumbling I think the players have his back (and vice versa). When you read Armando, Omar or Barry they all say the same thing - Gase will be around for a long time. Where roles could change is Gase and Grier may get more power over Tannenbaum eventually. Tannenbaum has done a lot for the organization that Ross appreciates so despite the torches and pitchforks he will stick around (in some capacity) for a while as well. All this info comes from reporters who know far more than me.

Sorry to disappoint those that were hoping I'd say blow it up. Miami just isn't in a financial position to do so and Ross knows that quickly jettisoning a young talent like Gase wouldn't look appealing to any potential candidates. Inviting a new GM and creating a potential power struggle with Gase would also not be a wise move at this point. We will see if both coaches and decision makers have learned their lessons from this year.

Next up will be QB and RB (and it may come today given the mood I'm in!)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:12 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I'll take the opposite tact: what we should do.

Blow it up.

I've seen enough from Gase to doubt he's the guy. Last year was a mirage, the team caught some lucky breaks in a weak schedule. From what I've seen this year, I think Gase made his reputation as an offensive guru because he had Payton Manning. I actually read the book: The Art of Winning, and that one season where they blew up the passing records in Denver was more due to the fact Manning convinced Gase to install and run his favorite plays from his Indy days after a weak offensive effort the season before. His offensive genius really hasn't translated elsewhere.

Then there are the questionable decisions not to update the guard and center position, and promoting Matt Burke to be DC, just to name a few.

You're not suppose to give on your HC this early, but I see nothing positive from this season to warrant keeping him. I'm in favor of firing Gase and all the staff and hiring one of three choices. Kyle Shanahan, Josh McDaniels, or the prodigal son Mike Shula. I really think Kyle will be the next big thing, and McDaniels, well, he knows the Patriots way.

They can decide what to do with GM, but give the HC total control over the roster. Also fire Tannebaum.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:15 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Oh, and change the stupid, pansy uniforms. Go back to the 78-85 uniforms. If we still have a year left on these, ban the white on aqua look. We look like ballerinas in them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
I'm in favor of firing Gase and all the staff and hiring one of three choices. Kyle Shanahan, Josh McDaniels, or the prodigal son Mike Shula. I really think Kyle will be the next big thing, and McDaniels, well, he knows the Patriots way.

They can decide what to do with GM, but give the HC total control over the roster. Also fire Tannebaum.

Kyle Shanahan is in Year 1 in SF, just traded for the guy he wanted in Jimmy Garoppolo, and has a huge pile of cash to sign FAs.

Josh McDaniels probably doesn't want to go into an uncertain future unless he gets total control or his GM choice to come with him. He already failed once so probably waiting for ideal situation.

I don't know enough about Mike Shula but it sounds like he has done very well in Carolina.

As I said earlier, I don't think Tannenbaum leaves the organization but its possible he moves on to a different role and gives power over to Gase.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:26 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Keep this in mind for 2018 in terms of what the front office and coaches have to work with:

There is currently $17,225,140 in cap space.

They have picks in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th (2), 6th and 7th (2) Round. 5th Rounder traded for Stephone Anthony.

Players currently under contract include:

Offense = Ryan Tannehill, Kenny Stills, Devante Parker, Leonte Carroo, Jakeem Grant, Isaiah Ford, Mitch Matthews, Kenyan Drake, Senorise Perry, Laremy Tunsil, Ted Larsen, Mike Pouncey, Ja'Waun James, Isaac Asiata, Jesse Davis, Zach Sterup, Eric Smith, Julius Thomas, Maquise Gray, Matt Haack

Defense = Cameron Wake, Andre Branch, Charles Harris, Ndomakung Suh, Jordan Phillips, Davon Godchaux, Vincent Taylor, Lawrence Timmons, Kiko Alonso, Raekwon McMillan, Chase Allen, Stephone Anthony, Xavien Howard, Cordrea Tankersly Bobby McCain, Tony Lippett, Tory McTyer, Reshad Jones, TJ McDonald, Maurice Smith

There is between $15 million to $30 million in additional space that can be created by some cuts and restructuring of deals.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:36 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Sorry to disappoint those that were hoping I'd say blow it up. Miami just isn't in a financial position to do so and Ross knows that quickly jettisoning a young talent like Gase wouldn't look appealing to any potential candidates. Inviting a new GM and creating a potential power struggle with Gase would also not be a wise move at this point. We will see if both coaches and decision makers have learned their lessons from this year.

A ‘blow up’ is too knee-jerk for me and an emotional response. You have to have “the guy” out there available and I don’t see it. Those travesties against NO and BAL will always be a huge blemish on Gase’s record, deservedly so, but I still don’t see a case for letting Gase go this early.

As you said, it sends a horrible message to potential head coaching candidates. Let coach get his QB and another young draft and free agent class in and see what he can do in Year 3.

He had high respect at such a young age around the league for a reason. He has a good head on his shoulders. This season was absolutely lost with Cutler and Moore.

FIX. THE. OFFENSIVE. LINE.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:47 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
FIX. THE. OFFENSIVE. LINE.

Coming in Episode 3 of the 2018 Rebuild...stay tuned.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:57 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Kyle Shanahan is in Year 1 in SF, just traded for the guy he wanted in Jimmy Garoppolo, and has a huge pile of cash to sign FAs.

Oops, I forgot that.

Quote:
Josh McDaniels probably doesn't want to go into an uncertain future unless he gets total control or his GM choice to come with him.

I'd have no problem giving it to him.

Quote:
He already failed once so probably waiting for ideal situation.

So did Bellicheat in Cleveland.

Quote:
I don't know enough about Mike Shula but it sounds like he has done very well in Carolina.
I think he'd do all right. I've had my eye on him for awhile.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:01 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
As you said, it sends a horrible message to potential head coaching candidates.

A lot of teams have fired the HC after a season or two. It didn't prevent them from finding a different one. It may prevent you from signing a Harbaugh or Gruden type though. But I don't want a former
bigname HC, I want a hungry young guy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:26 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

zatrex99 wrote:
A lot of teams have fired the HC after a season or two. It didn't prevent them from finding a different one. It may prevent you from signing a Harbaugh or Gruden type though.

You made my point. No self respecting coach with a long term master plan would want to follow that guy up, at the very least it makes it highly unlikely.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:37 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Going from OC to HC is never smooth. Gase needs his ego to not make him the next Josh McDaniels. To be honest, I think McDaniels will be all over the Giants' job knowing he will land a top 3 pick and be out of the AFC.

I generally use Omar Kelly as the barometer when things are going bad or a narrative is being pushed. For example, when everyone was piling on Tannehill over the first 5 games last year Kelly (who previously was very anti-Tannehill) kept saying he wasn't the problem (also wasn't the answer either). Turned out to be correct. This year he keep saying that these perceived locker room issues or Gase being in jeopardy are completely false.

I don't know how much say Gase had in his current offensive personnel outside of Cutler. Maybe Tannenbaum handed him a turkey sandwich and told him to make it taste like duck l'orange. Or perhaps Gase had misplaced faith and pounded the table to keep these guys.

The situation is bad and the coaching needs to be better. I'd rather give it one more year and my gut tells me Ross does the same. If they fail again there can be an enormous contract purge and regime change in 2019 that makes complete financial sense.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:00 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Nice write up Jammer.

From what I have seen so far I hope Gase does not get more control over personnel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:05 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Tannenbaum needs to go but everytime I see him with Ross in his suite I think he has got his ear and Gase might become the scapegoat.
Tannehill offers hope. Something just tells me he finds success with another team

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:44 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Draft O line, bring in O linemen in free agency, trade for O linemen. Maybe then these morons can find 5 players fit to be called starters in the NFL. I actually think we are fine with James and need to move Tunsil to guard. So...we need a top tackle prospect and a center. Use the #1 and #2 pick for them. Find a guard and depth through other means.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:07 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

FINesse wrote:
Tannenbaum needs to go but every time I see him with Ross in his suite I think he has got his ear and Gase might become the scapegoat.

This is another issue I think that needs to be discussed. What exactly is Tannebaum's role in the organization? Last year before the draft, Ross made it clear that Gase has the final say on the roster. Which at the time, I presumed to mean he either picks the players or signs off on all transactions of. Grier as Gm is focused on scouting and drafting players. So who is deciding who we pick up in FA?

To be clear, Gase can't evaluate college prospects. He doesn't have the time as the new HC who is intent on also being the OC. But he can evaluate FA's, at least those he's familiar with. Is that what Tannebaum does? Is Gase now seeing how that's not working out? Who is he really married to player wise? Who has he been forced to keep because he took the job: example Tannehill.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:44 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
Is that what Tannebaum does? Is Gase now seeing how that's not working out? Who is he really married to player wise? Who has he been forced to keep because he took the job: example Tannehill.

This is why I mentioned the rumblings of tension between the two. It could be a case of Tannenbaum grabbing Player A and saying make him fit while Gase wants Player B and doesn't get him (we've seen this in past regimes.)

My interpretation of Gase having final say is he decides who is on the 53, not who Miami should go after in the draft or free agency. There is no doubt Gase has some influence, otherwise Julius Thomas, Jay Cutler and David Fales would not be on the roster.

It also seems that Gase signed off on the guys who got extensions.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:06 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I believe the front office will go BPA in the draft regardless of needs because, well, just about every position has a need right now. So before I get into position discussion consider the current draft order and who Miami still plays:

1. Cle
2. SF
3. NYG
4. Ind
5. Den
6. Chi
7. NYJ
8. Cle (via Hou)
9. TB
10. Mia

Cleveland, San Fran and the Giants aren't losing those top spots. It will be a miracle if they do. Indy has road games at Jacksonville, Buffalo and Baltimore while hosting Denver and Houston. Denver plays the Jets, Miami, Indy while having tough matchups against KC and Washington. The Jets play at New England, New Orleans and Denver while also facing the Chargers and KC.

So what is my point in all of this? The teams ahead of Miami will be beating on each other and have tough matchups. If you're hoping Miami tanks its away into the top 5 it may be wishful thinking. They are currently underdogs at home versus Denver this week so we'll start from there and see where it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:30 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
zatrex99 wrote:
Is that what Tannebaum does? Is Gase now seeing how that's not working out? Who is he really married to player wise? Who has he been forced to keep because he took the job: example Tannehill.

This is why I mentioned the rumblings of tension between the two. It could be a case of Tannenbaum grabbing Player A and saying make him fit while Gase wants Player B and doesn't get him (we've seen this in past regimes.)

My interpretation of Gase having final say is he decides who is on the 53, not who Miami should go after in the draft or free agency. There is no doubt Gase has some influence, otherwise Julius Thomas, Jay Cutler and David Fales would not be on the roster.

It also seems that Gase signed off on the guys who got extensions.

You're almost making the point we need an experienced GM (not just one who concentrates on scouting) and he needs to have the final say on players. (if we keep Gase) We also need an experienced DC.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:35 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I believe the front office will go BPA in the draft regardless of needs because, well, just about every position has a need right now.

BPA on the OL, unless the two best prospects are taken. Ten really doesn't net a superstar player if they even exist in this draft. Guard and center doesn't look very promising in FA.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:14 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Oddly enough I look on Twitter at lunch and I see from Matt Cannata the following: (paraphrased of course)

Ross had his eyes on Gase before Philbin was even fired. He is getting a long leash.

While there are questions on Tannenbaum there doesn't seem to be the notion he gets fired. Might get reassigned within the organization. I'm guessing he becomes more figurehead with less power.

Not sure there is much more to add on this. Whether Miami brings in some help for player evaluation is beyond anyone's guess, but it doesn't appear there are any major shakeups coming.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:37 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Oddly enough I look on Twitter at lunch and I see from Matt Cannata the following: (paraphrased of course)

Ross had his eyes on Gase before Philbin was even fired. He is getting a long leash.

While there are questions on Tannenbaum there doesn't seem to be the notion he gets fired. Might get reassigned within the organization. I'm guessing he becomes more figurehead with less power.

Not sure there is much more to add on this. Whether Miami brings in some help for player evaluation is beyond anyone's guess, but it doesn't appear there are any major shakeups coming.

I personally do not want Gase going anywhere, I think he will have some challenges as a HC and working through them will be good long term.

As far as anyone above him, not sure.
Tannenbum = failed GM from the Jets
Grier = Dolphins scouting department 2000-2015

In the press conference for Tunsil, Tannenbum joked about Gase being happy they drafted offense... That leads me to believe Gase doesn't have final say in the draft... That is a problem to me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:47 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

This one just got my wheels really spinning. Albert Breer just wrote a piece for SI discussing Peyton Manning's desire to be a football czar and how Eli Manning's contract is actually friendly for a trade.

Simon Clancy, who has written a lot of quality stuff about Miami, connected some dots by saying the precarious nature of Tannenbaum's position + the Gase-Manning relationship + the allure of a flashy name for Ross = Peyton as the new boss in Miami. Says you can't rule it out.

Now imagine these dominoes falling:

Tannenbaum is elevated to some executive role that has nothing to do with football operations.

Peyton Manning is hired to be Miami's version of John Elway.

Manning trades Ryan Tannehill to Denver for a 2nd Round pick in 2018 and a 1st Round pick in 2019 (Denver presumably has a 20ish pick that year). Tannehill's friendly contract allows Denver to still draft a QB high but keep the team competitive while Vance Joseph gets a decent starter.

Miami has now freed up $15 million in cap space. Manning trades a conditional 2019 pick to the Giants for Eli Manning. He then gives Adam Gase the freedom to select any QB he wants to groom under Eli.

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is your early conspiracy theory Christmas present courtesy of moi. Oh, and here is the link to Breer's article.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/30/coach ... notes-mmqb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:56 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Tannenbaum is elevated to some executive role that has nothing to do with football operations.
Executive office supply manager.

Quote:
Peyton Manning is hired to be Miami's version of John Elway.

I could go for this.

Quote:
Manning trades Ryan Tannehill to Denver for a 2nd Round pick in 2018 and a 1st Round pick in 2019
Well kudos to him if he can get that for Tannehill. I doubt you could get much more than a first realistically. (his knee issue)

Quote:
Miami has now freed up $15 million in cap space. Manning trades a conditional 2019 pick to the Giants for Eli Manning. He then gives Adam Gase the freedom to select any QB he wants to groom under Eli.

While not wild about getting Eli, I'll take it if it allows us to draft Mayfield.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:59 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

10acjed wrote:
That leads me to believe Gase doesn't have final say in the draft... That is a problem to me.

Gase has total control over the roster. According to sources, if Gase wants a guy the FO does whatever they can to get him.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:35 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Of that giant, fun conspiracy I could really only see the Peyton part happening. Wouldn't surprise me at all actually. Total Ross type move. When he has his sights on a guy he seems to have had his mind made up quick e.g. Gase.

While I agree with Zatrex that Gase probably has a lot of say already in roster moves, a Manning addition would take that a step further. No more Tannenbaum drafting high potential guys or flirting with the idea of whopping free agent contracts. Gase and Manning would be targeting specific guys for their system.

Now would there be a painful, reboot season for 2018 to open up a lot of cap space? Possibly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:21 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Barry Jackson's thoughts this morning on our "coach/front office".

Barry Jackson wrote:
Ross is expected to retain Gase, general manager Chris Grier and executive vice president/football operations Mike Tannenbaum in their current roles, from what we’re hearing.

And though mistakes have been made, I agree they deserve another year because these three have been working together for just 22 months and that included this ongoing debacle but also a playoff season.

The blame for mistakes on this roster can be shared among them. All three collectively make offseason personnel decisions on veterans, with Grier taking the lead on the draft and Gase controlling the 53-man roster once camp begins. But no offensive player is brought here that Gase doesn’t want.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:47 am 

Is there anything on Tannenbaums resume that warrants him even having a job in the NFL?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:28 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

FINesse wrote:
Is there anything on Tannenbaums resume that warrants him even having a job in the NFL?

I'm curious about his personality when the cameras aren't rolling. Is combative and egotistical? Is he a control freak?

He has gone out and acquired guys Gase wanted, and re-signed players Gase liked. He shipped off Ajayi because Gase wanted him gone. Clearly its not a one way street.

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]