Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Parcells was wrong.....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:08 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

...the W-L record doesn't always say "who you are". This game last night was a total team and organizational loss, an embarrassment on national TV, as it has been the typical case over the years, and it doesn't end here....Miami has prime time national TV contests coming up over the next couple of weeks, a Sunday nighter at home against Oakland then a Monday nighter on the road at Carolina. I bet those networks are scrambling to retain sponsors for the games, offering BOGOs to fill open slots.

The offensive line woes just get worse and they won't improve until the FO invests heavily via the draft and FA, which I suppose will be the order of the day starting next March. Then there's Gase's play calling. Despite knowing this line can't physically match anyone anymore he still throws Ajayi in there not only beating him up but putting the team in terrible down and distance situations. Then there's the playbook: where are the plays intended to offset the pass rush and blitzes? They tried a couple of screens, one a total disaster where the player fell down before the catch with supposedly an open field in front. But these screens are not executed in a manner that you can see they know how to do them, they look clumsy and probably practiced little as they are not a staple of the offense. I can go on to other plays that are never shown during games. The Chiefs have all this movement from their WRs, where their speed is used to open up the field with misdirection or big gains around end. Miami has Jakeem Grant, a speedster, built for the open field, to make people miss, how many times have we seen them try an end around with this guy?

Then the special teams: awful punting, high-schoolish 35 yard punts, and Grant running sideways on returns losing yards. Then a kickoff is run from the goal line as the two guys kind bump into each other trying to catch it and can only stumble out to the 15. The Fins field position was awful most of the first half, when the game was pretty much decided, and the special teams had a lot to do with it.

Then to top it off last night the defense was shredded when I thought they had finally tightened the thing up, which would have made the Ravens have to pass. The Ravens supposedly bad offensive line dominated.

Yes, the Dolphins have had awful luck with the injuries to the QB position and the lack of development of their two no. 1 picks playing offensive tackle. Surely Gase didn't count on all that happening at the same time when he took this job, but still, last night was so far over the top awful as if the team had just been put together before kick-off. It was an all in all display of ineptitude typical of this franchise on national TV when high expectations being to develop. Teams around the league looked at this and concluded like the rest of the nation has, "nothing to see there, same old Dolphins".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:23 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The only silver lining that I can take from this is that the team has a few more day than the usual week to try to figure something out. I hope they all got a good night's rest last night because each player needs get his head out of their butt and figure out what they can do to be better. Oh, and an attaboy goes to Suh for fighting until the bitter end.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:11 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I doubt they can figure anything out at this point...it's a mess, with Gase down on the whole thing as you saw in his body language last night. He had all these visions of installing this offense of his over a period of time, beginning year one learning about Tannehill and how he can fit the offense, continuing it in this the second year. But all that has come to a stop as he's had to dial it down for Cutler and now Moore who despite being around forever doesn't get many snaps if any during the week with the first team offense with Cutler the no. 1.

The one thing that I'm sure has thrown a monkey wrench is the team's inability to run the ball. Last year they had the run/pass option threat of Tannehill which opened things up for Ajayi. They don't have that this year. Teams are stacking the box and given the low quality offensive linemen we have it is just about impossible to get any push when you have five, and a not very good five, going up against 7 or 8. If there's no running threat then the effect of play action is taken away as teams don't respect it.

This is a project from now on this season. Getting Cutler back will require once again hand holding, and who knows what Cutler's mindset will be after getting hurt and how he will play with that on his mind.

If I had to trace this to its source I would say it's the team allowing Tannehill to make the decision of not having surgery back last year after his injury. Had he had surgery right away he would have been just about ready during pre-season and fully in place by now. Had that happened, and I know, this is all supposition, Gase could have continued to roll out the offense of his dreams and who knows were we could be now. For sure we wouldn't be going scoreless in the first halves, maybe even taking the lead instead of falling behind, thus allowing the defense to play more aggressive with the score in their favor if the other team was forced to throw.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:54 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Why does he have to "dial it back" for Cutler? A Vanderbilt guy who supposedly has a high IQ and already knows this offense.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:36 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

4-3 = 9-7 Seems to me like a 9-7 team, win a few, but overall fail.. Very similar to previous Dolphins teams...

I certainly would call plays differently than Gase at times.....

But I work in roofing, so cant say my resume would suffice for calling plays in the NFL vs Gase

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:21 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

prof123 wrote:
Why does he have to "dial it back" for Cutler? A Vanderbilt guy who supposedly has a high IQ and already knows this offense.

A high enough IQ to be the least liked teammate in the NFL, enough to behave arrogantly throughout all his stops in the pros and consistently underachieve and not give a darn about what people thought or said about him. That's about all his "high IQ" has achieved....and this BS of "knowing this offense", do you really think Gase's head coach shot at creating and calling an offense today is the same he had years ago as a mere assistant at various stops? Wait, I should rethink that question. I'm sure it's pretty much the same because it still sucks today.

Oh, and BTW, does Vanderbilt produce the best football-IQ in the game? I think "book" smarts, even advanced, space age, NASA endorsed math taught across the land, especially, in its birthhome somewhere in Virginia, is quite different than football-IQ. I would prefer a true, under appreciated, hard working, strong character craftsman like say, Doug Flutie, to a hi-what-is-it-for-IQ guy professor at Somewhere Virgina U. Flutie wanted it, was a true leader, overcoming his size and criticism that he could never make it, and was reliable and could be counted on to produce. I'm sure you can come up with a better choice than Mr. Flutie but I would guess you get the message.

So, yes, it had to be dialed back.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:34 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

C,
There are lots of reasons Gase may need to dial back the offense, but the space between Cutler's ears isn't one of them. Now, don't get me wrong -- I don't think Cutler is a great QB and the sooner we can replace him with Tannehill the better. His mechanics drive me crazy. I wish he would just step up into the pocket (oh -- maybe that is the problem -- there is no pocket) and throw the ball with authority.

There is another smart QB I'd replace him with. Didn't Jay Fiedler go to Dartmouth? :) It doesn't surprise you at all to hear me bring him up, does it? I think I was the only guy in the stadium wearing a #9 Dolphin jersey last Sunday!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:53 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

prof123 wrote:
C,

Didn't Jay Fiedler go to Dartmouth? :) It doesn't surprise you at all to hear me bring him up, does it? I think I was the only guy in the stadium wearing a #9 Dolphin jersey last Sunday!

Noooooo, I saw another guy wearing a no. 9...I think it was a no. 9 but I can't be sure today, he was doing a hand stand in celebration.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:09 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Parcels gets quoted too much. Screw that guy.

carreramia wrote:
...the W-L record doesn't always say "who you are". This game last night was a total team and organizational loss, an embarrassment on national TV.....

last night was so far over the top awful as if the team had just been put together before kick-off. It was an all in all display of ineptitude typical of this franchise on national TV when high expectations being to develop. Teams around the league looked at this and concluded like the rest of the nation has, "nothing to see there, same old Dolphins".

This x10. Those boys were absolutely humiliated. I think I'm as real as it gets, and I honestly believe this is a possible runner up to Seattle at the goal line against NE in the Super Bowl and Atlanta 9 months ago on the embarrassment scale.

That bum coach Al Golden was fired for something very similar with the 'Canes. I'll admit the obvious and say he already had a couple bad years behind him, but this will stick with Gase forever.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:36 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I don't think Cutler is the one who shows a lack of IQ. It is the wide receivers who are running the wrong routes a lot. It is the running backs missing blocking assignments. It is the offensive line getting too many stupid penalties. Cutler has looked pretty bad, but he has had a LOT of help from his lackluster "supporting" cast.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:01 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Miami is 1-7 in their last 8 games on the national stage as well as being outscored 219-98. Last night was an absolute disgrace.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:59 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

The offense was so much better last year......

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:53 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

10acjed wrote:
4-3 = 9-7 Seems to me like a 9-7 team, win a few, but overall fail.. Very similar to previous Dolphins teams...

This team is the rich version of the Cleveland Browns. Not trolling at the bottom and doing everything wrong. Just wading in the middle and doing everything wrong. Always turning left when they should turn right. Always looking up when they should be looking down. Liking a WR in the top ten to play QB, when a QB is out there in Rd. 2 that is a super star. I had more hope for Gase than any other coach, but he appears to be just another failed coach.

The trade reeks of Philbin trading Davis.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]