All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 

Given the performance of the offense under Cutler and Moore, do you miss Ryan Tannehill yet?
Yes 87%  87%  [ 13 ]
No 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes: 15
 Post subject: Miss Tannehill yet?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:03 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

He's not the best, he's not even top 10. But is there something to be said for having stability at the position? Is the fact that Cutler and Moore are struggling evidence that the problems with the offensive line need to be addressed in order to give any QB we bring in a chance?

Post subject: Re: Miss Tannehill yet?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:05 pm 

I do miss Ryan Tannehill, for all his flaws, I cannot imagine the offense under him being as inept as what we've seen so far this year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:44 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I miss seeing Miss Tannehill, too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:31 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

I was really looking forward to seeing him this year. I think any shot of making the playoffs ended when he reinjured his knee.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:08 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

As I've said in two previous threads, if I post the videos of all of Tannehill's snaps from last year I think a lot of people here would second guess their criticisms.

He made some really nice throws last year. He had that clunker against Baltimore but bounced back nicely against Arizona before his injury. I think Miami could have won a playoff game with him.

His ability to do the read option kept defenses off balance and opened up the offense. I think his absence is clearly a negative for Ajayi.

Ian Rappaport reported yesterday that Miami is committed to Tannehill for 2018. While he was reporting it the NFL Network showed video of Tannehill running the stairs of Baltimore's stadium. That is two months after surgery. For perspective, when I had ACL reconstruction about 12 years ago (and I was only 24) I wasn't allowed to run on a treadmill for nearly 5 months. The dude defies medical logic.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:35 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

For those longingly looking back to Tannehill as the "the answer" just recognize that opinion is really just a relative statement given the garbage production of the QBs in there today. I mean, if you have nothing and get something, it doesn't mean "something" is good, it is simply better than having nothing. I haven't forgotten Tannehill's years of frustrating lack of development, questions about just about all aspects of his game, so now today I'm not going to rejoice at the idea that we'll be all right once Tannehill returns. He'll simply replace our current garbage with something slightly better and will resume his role as the justified target for the Dolphins inability to move past being feeble contenders. Now, had we gotten Kapernick, putting politics aside and from a football perspective only, we wouldn't be in such dire straits.

Tannehill is not the long term answer at QB, can't believe we are not over that yet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:09 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:
Tannehill is not the long term answer at QB, can't believe we are not over that yet.

If the line can't block and the players don't know what they're supposed to be doing, then the qb isn't the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:38 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

:OMG

Last edited by carreramia on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:40 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

zatrex99 wrote:
carrearia wrote:
If the line can't block and the players don't know what they're supposed to be doing, then the qb isn't the problem.

Well, that's a heck of an indictment on Gase and the assistants he's chosen, plus of course there's the personnel department in there too getting their due and pretty much we know Tannehill isn't the long term answer, so geeeeze, where does that leave us?

I'm afraid it isn't that bad thankfully. Despite Tannehill's limitations the offense performed better (well, duh!), last year so all this crying Gase's doing in his soup about players not bringing home their signed homework somehow they either did study last year or all this is just a continued coverup by Gase for his infatuation with protecting Cutler despite all else.

We draft oline this coming offseason and sign one or two FAs, draft an athletic big body TE, clean house here, Gase updates his playbook with something resembling a modern NFL offense, Tannehill comesback to hold the fort until we draft his replacement and we'll have a much better year. I mean, it can't get any worse.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:45 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:
For those longingly looking back to Tannehill as the "the answer" just recognize that opinion is really just a relative statement given the garbage production of the QBs in there today. I mean, if you have nothing and get something, it doesn't mean "something" is good, it is simply better than having nothing. I haven't forgotten Tannehill's years of frustrating lack of development, questions about just about all aspects of his game, so now today I'm not going to rejoice at the idea that we'll be all right once Tannehill returns. He'll simply replace our current garbage with something slightly better and will resume his role as the justified target for the Dolphins inability to move past being feeble contenders. Now, had we gotten Kapernick, putting politics aside and from a football perspective only, we wouldn't be in such dire straits.

Keapernick can not run the offense that Gase wants to run.

Tannehill made progress every year. He is not elite. He has starting Nfl talent.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:01 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

carreramia wrote:

You're changing the topic of discussion. Tannehill can play winning football. He can get the team to the playoffs. No one is arguing he is irreplaceable or the answer for the next decade. Don't start becoming an absolutist and going down the path of the one we don't speak of.

I've advocated since 2014 for Miami to spend a pick on a QB. I liked Derek Carr and Jimmy Garoppolo (and I've subtly discussed trading for the latter every year) in 2014, AJ McCarron in 2015 and in 2016 had a lot discussions with Swerve and Tony in PMs about Miami trading up for Jared Goff and Carson Wentz. I thought this past draft would have been nice to grab a guy like Davis Webb.

Tannehill is the answer for 2018 but beyond that is an uncertainty. Unless you think Nick Foles will come to Miami for less than $10 million and produce the same results it is nearly impossible with the cap to pay someone else. Most starters will command north of $15 million, and that is the exact cap savings of ditching Tannehill. You can restructure his contract from a $20 million to a $14 million hit which is what I think they will do.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:08 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

carreramia wrote:
We draft oline this coming offseason and sign one or two FAs, draft an athletic big body TE, clean house here, Gase updates his playbook with something resembling a modern NFL offense, Tannehill comesback to hold the fort until we draft his replacement and we'll have a much better year. I mean, it can't get any worse.

Didn't see this before my previous post. Depending on which QBs enter the draft, this may be a decent year to do something like Washington did in 2012 by double dipping on QBs. Maybe spend a 2nd Rounder on a big level talent like Baker Mayfield, and, if they pick up an extra 5th or 6th Round pick via trade back then look at Logan Woodside from Toledo or Riley Ferguson from Memphis on Day 3. Both would be big developmental upgrades from Brandon Doughty.

Let Tannehill show in 2018 whether it is worth further investment. Doesn't make financial sense to just dump him unless you're blowing the whole thing up and starting from scratch. He could net you a couple of 2nd Rounders or maybe a late 1st from a winning team with an aging QB.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:27 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
carreramia wrote:

Didn't see this before my previous post. Depending on which QBs enter the draft, this may be a decent year to do something like Washington did in 2012 by double dipping on QBs. Maybe spend a 2nd Rounder on a big level talent like Baker Mayfield, and, if they pick up an extra 5th or 6th Round pick via trade back then look at Logan Woodside from Toledo or Riley Ferguson from Memphis on Day 3. Both would be big developmental upgrades from Brandon Doughty.

Let Tannehill show in 2018 whether it is worth further investment. Doesn't make financial sense to just dump him unless you're blowing the whole thing up and starting from scratch. He could net you a couple of 2nd Rounders or maybe a late 1st from a winning team with an aging QB.

While I'm in no way ready to blow the team up just yet and I don't know who Gase is talking about as to not knowing what they're doing and always looking to hit a homerun, I do acknowledge the trading deadline is coming up. If I could trade Landry (who I guess to be one of the major problems) for a 2nd and then send a 3rd or a 4th or Caroo to Pitt for Martavias Bryant, I would.

I'd also trade Ajayi for a 2nd. We're wasting him this year and need to remember he's playing with basically no cartilage in his knees. he won't last long, I would think.

I'd keep Tannehill and then draft a QB, OL, OL, OL and a running back. Mayfield does look good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:42 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Sure do miss him. With limited number of college starts and having his progress slowed by Philbin I think he has improved every year. He has shown he can lead a team back in the 4th quarter , make big throws and has the ability to run as well although I do think that part of his game will now be limited. We can debate eliteness but its obvious we would be better with him. Its also obvious however that he may be injury prone so drafting a QB should be a priority.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:02 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Now, had we gotten Kapernick, putting politics aside and from a football perspective only, we wouldn't be in such dire straits.

Politics aside. Kap sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:16 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

He deserves a raise. Surely there is no way of making the playoffs without him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:43 am 

Makchell wrote:
Now, had we gotten Kapernick, putting politics aside and from a football perspective only, we wouldn't be in such dire straits.

That was succinct and to the point. :haha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:10 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
Makchell wrote:

...and wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:08 pm 

carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:
Makchell wrote:

...and wrong.

Great argument. Here is my rebuttal.

No, YOU'RE wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:01 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:
Makchell wrote:

...and wrong.

Great argument. Here is my rebuttal.

No, YOU'RE wrong.

I don't waste my time arguing what I've already argued, and Cutler's performance proved you wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:14 pm 

carreramia wrote:
I don't waste my time arguing what I've already argued, and Cutler's performance proved you wrong.

Proved me wrong how? That we'd be in a better place offensively with Tannehill?

That doesn't appear to be the case.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:23 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

kinda hard to have to remind you of the very things you argued...it's like I'm doing double the work and getting paid half. Tannehill had nothing to do with our discussion in the summer about Cutler vs. Kap. Ring a bell?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:10 pm 

carreramia wrote:
kinda hard to have to remind you of the very things you argued...it's like I'm doing double the work and getting paid half. Tannehill had nothing to do with our discussion in the summer about Cutler vs. Kap. Ring a bell?

Since we haven't seen Kap as the Dolphins quarterback, there is nothing you can do other than speculate. Therefore, no one can be WRONG.

Also, given the protection issues, dropped passes, missed assignments and consistent mental breakdowns by this team on offense, it doesn't really matter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:19 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

maybe I can only speculate about Kap but you for sure were wrong about endorsing Cutler as he has sucked huge....I mean, the worst offense in the game, and it's mostly on him, so all that other coach-speak by you is you drinking Gase's kool-aid....Kap could not have possibly done worse and his ability to run and improvise would have overcome protection issues and give us a running threat as well....but really, i didn't want to argue this again but you temporary amnesia made this R-x necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:17 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

carreramia wrote:
maybe I can only speculate about Kap but you for sure were wrong about endorsing Cutler as he has sucked huge....I mean, the worst offense in the game, and it's mostly on him, so all that other coach-speak by you is you drinking Gase's kool-aid....Kap could not have possibly done worse and his ability to run and improvise would have overcome protection issues and give us a running threat as well....but really, i didn't want to argue this again but you temporary amnesia made this R-x necessary.

Saying Kap could not have done better than Cutler when leading in with saying all you can do is speculate is speaking in an absolute about an unknown situation.

Strictly from history, I would have taken Cutler too. Kap had, what, 2 productive seasons? Cutler over his career had more productive seasons. But really putting the two side by side is like wanting to pick out which ear you'd rather have cut off first.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:08 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Kap could have done much worse.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:57 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Kap has 85 TD's and 30 int. That sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:06 am 

carreramia wrote:

Sorry but I never endorsed Cutler. I consider him to be a mediocre QB. I only said Cutler makes sense because he comes in knowing the system. Saying to stay away from Kap is not endorsing Cutler.

I also asked for Cutler to be benched after three games.

Get your facts straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:20 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

revisionist....so big deal, you said to bench the bum after 3 games? Oh, like the entire world hadn't said that already.......I'm referring to that period of time in early August when the decision was being made. You defended Cutler vigorously against my choice of Kap. You quoted stats that I didn't even know existed. You might have thrown in there the reasons for the warming climate. Anyway, backtrack all you want, I remember it. I don't want to do like Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men, and ask the court stenographer to go back and read back what Colonel Jessup said.

Take care.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:44 am 

carreramia wrote:
revisionist....so big deal, you said to bench the bum after 3 games? Oh, like the entire world hadn't said that already.......I'm referring to that period of time in early August when the decision was being made. You defended Cutler vigorously against my choice of Kap. You quoted stats that I didn't even know existed. You might have thrown in there the reasons for the warming climate. Anyway, backtrack all you want, I remember it. I don't want to do like Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men, and ask the court stenographer to go back and read back what Colonel Jessup said.

Take care.

By dropping in a few misleading words (endorsed, vigorously) you're trying to hyperbolize the truth.

Do you, by chance, work for CNN or Fox News? You'd be a great fit.

Yes, I argued why choosing Cutler over Kap made sense. That's like arguing why I prefer to get a finger cut off than my tongue split in half or vice versa. Both options suck. If forced to make a decision, different people will have different reasons for choosing one over the other.

Choosing something because you really don't have a choice is not the definition of endorsing.

Bringing a few points to the table in a handful of responses and then moving on from the discussion because it's not really worth it is not a vigorous defense.

It may be time to either brush on English or genuineness. Either way, you have some work to do. Hop to it.

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]