Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:50 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

The Good

Football games like this are finite.

The Bad

Let's start with the offensive line. They have been terrible pretty much all season. Run blocking is even worse than last year, and last year was pretty bad as Jay Ajayi led the league in getting hit in the backfield. This season, he may double that. Ajayi is being met before getting back to the line of scrimmage on a consistent basis. And he seems to be wearing down as he wasn't able to break tackles against the Ravens. Pass protection was awful too as Matt Moore was getting hit frequently. This offensive line has to be near the bottom in both categories. It is time to blow this unit up.

Matt Moore, two pick sixes. It's bad enough that the offense can't score. It is worse when they can score but for the other team. This should dispel the notion that Moore was going to play so well in Cutler's absence that it would create a QB controversy. The fact of the matter is that while the offensive line continues to be a problem, as it has been for YEARS in Miami, then it doesn't matter who you put at quarterback.

The defensive front 7 could not stop the run, even when Ryan Mallet came in at quarterback and it was obvious the Ravens would hardly throw.

The Ugly

The sequence where Kiko Alonso hit Joe Flacco and knocked him out of the game. The ensuing scrum and then the behavior of Ndamukong Suh the rest of the game to hurt his team with stupid penalties.

Speaking of penalties, did someone forget to tell Laremy Tunsil the snap count?

Finally, why does it seem like a constant issue on every play where someone seems to be lost? Is the coaching staff doing an effective enough job of preparing players? Someone always seems to be blocking the wrong way, running the wrong route or looking lost before the play. I think this is a bigger issue than a few players playing dumb, because our best players are doing it and it happens too frequently.

Overall

What is there to say to a 40-0 drubbing? There aren't one or two things to fix to change the result. Well, the offensive line would be a good start as it is impacting both the running and passing game.

But hey, we only gave up 3 sacks so it can't be that bad.... right?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:59 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I particularly like the penaltys where the OL guy is trying to take out Suh's knees and he is backing up with his hand on his head and gets a 15 yarder....wtf. The guy where he grabbed his throat....basically came off the ground and head butted Suh....another PF on Suh. Guy then rips off his own helmet (automatic penalty not called).... Baltimore ..the 7th most penalized team in the NFL pretty much got away with PI all night and played a penalty free game for the most part...according to the blind mice calling the game. If the game was fairly officated, it would've been 40-7...and that is ugly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:18 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

You make a great point Rich about players being lost it’s ridiculous

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:35 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Coach Gase has made a point of practicing less. Maybe he should try practicing more.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:53 am 
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

I'm just getting sick of breaking negative records. The landing page of NFL.COM has a giant banner this morning that says the Ravens last night may have been the most dominant defense in NFL history in a single game. Jesus....this is pathetic.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:24 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Sounds a little simplistic but if Miami had a viable TE who could get open quickly over the middle for 5 yard completions it would allow this offense to breathe.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:57 pm 
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

jammer wrote:
Sounds a little simplistic but if Miami had a viable TE who could get open quickly over the middle for 5 yard completions it would allow this offense to breathe.

No, you have a good idea. While the offensive line is so putrid that even this may not work.... it is definitely the best hope for them to score points I would think.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:05 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Nicely done, and very insightful, Rich.

Rich wrote:
Run blocking is even worse than last year, and last year was pretty bad as Jay Ajayi led the league in getting hit in the backfield. This season, he may double that. Ajayi is being met before getting back to the line of scrimmage on a consistent basis. And he seems to be wearing down as he wasn't able to break tackles against the Ravens.

Ajayi is our workhorse, and we are getting him beat up to avoid our QB from getting a concussion. I read this at PFF this morning: "Since the start of the 2016 season excluding the playoffs, Jay Ajayi has had 80 players miss tackles on his carries, which is the most among running backs."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:18 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

I'd like to say nice insightful write up because you nail everything, but I can't. I'm not ready to give up on the season just yet, so would like to delude myself into thinking it was a short week and we played Baltimore so it's an aberration. But after 7 games, you really have to wonder why did I waste 4 hours of my time watching that game?

Fortunately, season 2 of Stranger Things came out on Friday...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:35 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

zatrex99 wrote:

Yah but now that I have watched that what next? Glad they are doing season 3 and 4.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:03 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

AQNOR wrote:
zatrex99 wrote:

Yah but now that I have watched that what next? Glad they are doing season 3 and 4.

Probably the best TV series I have ever watched. I don't how they managed to get something so perfect. Hopefully we don't have to wait another year for season 3.

As for the Phins? I keep telling myself it is way too early to give up on them this year, but uggg, I don't know. The offensive problems are just beyond understanding. Maybe they need a trip to the upside down.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:35 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

zatrex99 wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
zatrex99 wrote:

Probably the best TV series I have ever watched. I don't how they managed to get something so perfect. Hopefully we don't have to wait another year for season 3.

As for the Phins? I keep telling myself it is way too early to give up on them this year, but uggg, I don't know. The offensive problems are just beyond understanding. Maybe they need a trip to the upside down.

The Duffer brothers have good memories.

There is a lot of season still left. Gase has time to right the ship.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:54 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

After watching this game Thursday night nobody seemed that interested in playing. Watching Thomas I'm old and slow but could probably run faster than he does. Route running seemed to be non existent. We can't block anybody to save our lives. I know people are putting a lot of blame on the coaches as they should. But it also needs to be noted these guy are professionals that make piles of money and should be able to do there job correctly. I can only hope that the attitude will change in the next few weeks but I have my doubts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:27 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
Someone always seems to be blocking the wrong way, running the wrong route or looking lost before the play.

Speaking of lost, our running backs have given up 4 of the 16 sacks on our quarterbacks. I was in a state of shock on some of the blocking by the running backs in the Ravens game. That's a lack of film study or a lack of intelligence.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]