All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:57 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

What are your thoughts on this? I think hitting him in the head was a very bad act of frustration and wasn't on purpose, but it sure looks bad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:19 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

I don't think it was frustration or intentional. The coaches were showing him the play on the sidelines after they scored as he looked on in disbelief. Flacco hit the ground pretty quick on that slide, but Kiko should have let up and not put everything into the hit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:21 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Flacco was late sliding. He was attempting to get the first down. The Defense is taught to tackle high so they can fly over the QB if he slides properly. I bet Flacco slides quicker in the future to avoid any contact. I think Alonzo will get a large fine. One question I have is why didn't the Raven o-lineman also get called for unnecessary roughness for his cheap shot on Alonzo after the play?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:32 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Slid late and regrettably paid the price. I think the league is asking a lot from these guys. You leave the pocket and start running upfield you are a running back. Dont wait untill the very last split second the d players are not mind readers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:37 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think Kiko deserves a big fine and the 15 yard penalty he got. That being said, I don't think it was malicious. Flacco slid late and as such made it a bam-bam type play. Kiko was there just as Flacco begins his slide. That being said, Kiko needs to know that a QB running the ball is not the same as a back or receiver running the ball. You know there is a strong likelihood that the QB will give himself up once he nears the first down marker or when the defenders are close to tackling him. Kiko was clearly leading with his shoulder to spear Flacco. It was unfortunate that there was little time to make the adjustment once Flacco started his slide. The smarter play would have been to attempt to tackle him in a manner that allowed for adjustment as Flacco began his slide. Try wrapping up the runner rather than trying to spear them with your shoulder.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:40 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I also hope the NFL goes back and fines the Ravens O-Lineman that ripped off Kiko's helmet. That being said, Suh will likely get fined for knocking him down and laying on him...... as well as a fine for choking Mallett later in the game.

As a Phins fan, I'm a little embarrassed at work today, not because of the blowout but because of the lack of composure the team showed. You cannot respond to people yacking at your or shoving folks. You will get flagged and fined. Be smart!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:01 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I remember Trent Green ending his career with a late slide...no penalty even on the play. QB is outside the pocket going for a first down, slide late...Kiko could've already shut his eyes and was ready to hit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:42 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Barry Jackson wrote:
On the Kiko Alonso hit on Joe Flacco: “It’s a tough one. Kiko was in a tough spot. [Flacco] is running for the first down, and [Alonso] is kind of waiting on what’s he going to do. When [Flacco] is sliding, it’s not like a true slide you normally see. He’s kind of half in, half out. It’s a tough play to tell a guy what to do. If he completely stays away from him, and he keeps running and goes head first and gets a first down, we all go, ‘What are you doing? Finish the play.’ I dont think Kiko was trying to do anything maliciously.’”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:13 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Alonzo will not be suspended.

"Alonso was flagged on the play, but it appears there will be no suspension for Alonso, according to a statement from NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart. Alonso will likely still be fined for the play."

https://t.co/EAxzDeqk3b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:50 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Kiko sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:37 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

We expected the fine. As far as Kiko Alonzo is concerned, I expect him to pretty much do the same thing in the same situation in the future. If Flacco doesn't want his bell rung, he needs to slide sooner as defenses do not know their intention.

Armando Salguero wrote:
The NFL has fined Miami Dolphins linebacker Kiko Alonso $9,115 for his hit on a sliding Joe Flacco during last week’s 40-0 loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

The hit, which knocked Flacco out of the game with a concussion, led players on both teams to become angry -- with Ravens players leaving their bench area and Dolphins defenders coming to Alonso’s defense when another player hit him in retaliation. Alonso also seemed to have something of a confrontation with Baltimore coach John Harbaugh.

Alonso, not considered to have a reputation as a dirty player, called his hit on Flacco a “bang-bang play.”

This week Dolphins defensive coordinator Matt Burke agreed with his starting outside linebacker.

“I’ll say this, Kiko said the same thing to me immediately after the play because I grabbed him when we came off the field and I said ˜What’s going on? What happened?’ ” Burke said. “And he said, ‘I was kind of waiting for him to slide and he wasn’t and it was getting close to the sticks.’

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]