View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Study finds Super Bowl contributed $333 million to South Fla 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Study finds Super Bowl contributed $333 million to South Fla
I understand that all teams/cities would like a piece of the Super Bowl pie, but who wants to play a Super Bowl in the snow? (ie New York)

Quote:
Study finds Super Bowl contributed $333 million to South Florida
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 21, 2010 8:33 PM ET

A study released today reported that the Super Bowl's economic impact to South Florida was $333 million. That's the good news.

The bad news is that $333 million is a significant drop from the $463 million the 2007 Super Bowl brought to South Florida's economy. Despite the drop, however, the study is being used as evidence that public money should be used to renovate Sun Life Stadium and make it an attractive venue for future Super Bowls.

"Every major city in America wishes they had a Pro Bowl and Super Bowl on their books for February 2010. We were fortunate to have that kind of business," host committee chairman Rodney Barreto said, per the Sun Sentinel. "It was business that was needed. . . . Hey, it's better than zero."

Yes, it's "better than zero." But "better than zero" probably isn't going to be enough to convince taxpayers to spend millions of dollars to renovate the stadium.

Dolphins CEO Mike Dee says the team will need to convince the taxpayers to pitch in, because the team can't do it alone.

"There has to be a public-private component to this," Dee said. "There has to be some participation if we're going to finish the job."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... h-florida/

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:40 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Study finds Super Bowl contributed $333 million to South Fla
The public hardly supports the team , why should they support the stadium renovation. Plus tax payers here have paid for numerous failed arenas & stadiums. The Heat got theirs by rigging the wording on the ballot & somehow the Marlins are getting theirs while only drawing 3500 people on a weekday night game. In these times on a state that is just getting beaten to death in every economical & environmental market to ask them to pinch in for a billionaires pet project is just crazy .... but in this banana republic I am sure it will get done at public expense.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:29 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Where did the 333 million dollars go and who the hell did it benefit. That is the one thing that just burns me up with these professional teams.

They always want public funding for there new stadiums and arenas. Take que from what the Giants did and figure out a way to fund a stadium or arena without tax payers money.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:02 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

phinsfansc wrote:
Where did the 333 million dollars go and who the hell did it benefit. That is the one thing that just burns me up with these professional teams.

They always want public funding for there new stadiums and arenas. Take que from what the Giants did and figure out a way to fund a stadium or arena without tax payers money.

Joe Robbie was built on private money, and all the upgrades were paid for by Huizenga, iirc.

And I'm sure that the $333 million went to local businesses, they're not going to hand it out to the local residents or anything.

Building the Marlins stadium on public money was a bit of headscratcher for me, it's not going to host any events that compare to the Super Bowl and it will probably be half empty 90% of the time. At least in upgrading SunLife we could maintain our spot in the Super Bowl rotation which has proven to have a big impact on the local economy. That being said, I still think it's hypocritical of Goodell and a roof isn't that much of a necessity

Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:19 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Can they donate some of it to Phinfever?

Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:59 am

IamPZ wrote:
Can they donate some of it to Phinfever?

LOL. I second that idea.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]